The Walking Dead (Activision game)

So this one will suck then.
lol...on another board, someone said they are combining all the CoD zombie maps into one game. I wonder if this will be approached like an expanded CoD zombie game witha story

lol...on another board, someone said they are combining all the CoD zombie maps into one game. I wonder if this will be approached like an expanded CoD zombie game witha story

I wouldn't doubt it.

I mean this game could have potential if it would capture the feeling of the show. I mean the zombie apocalypse has never felt more scary until i watched the more grounded AMC show. I mean thats some seriously unnerving s**t. Instead i have a feeling this will devolve into shooting as many walkers as you can.

Eh, I'm curious to see how this turns out but at the moment, this whole thing stinks of cash grab.

Another game based on the series is being developed but this one is an FPS by Activision

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/06/activision-reveals-walking-dead-first-person-shooter

13435d4d5dc3031cfad49d8f979be0d0927ebe8.gif

If it was a dead rising type game I'd be far more interested. I'm good at FPS but they bore me to tears after 3 levels. I like the other walking dead game by telltale where you make choices and they matter as opposed to *pew pew pew* Next objective *pew pew pew* :p

Also: Love the MLP gif.

Last edited:
Okay, seriously? Talk about judging a book by it's cover. I'm not comparing this to CoD because it's not being maid by CoD developers (Treyarch, Infinity Ward) and it seems to have a lot of elements of Dead Island. Also, the article doesn't say "first-person shooter". So, that gives me hope.

Then there is potential that it'll suck, but I'll still buy it.

If it was a dead rising type game I'd be far more interested. I'm good at FPS but they bore me to tears after 3 levels. I like the other walking dead game by telltale where you make choices and they matter as opposed to *pew pew pew* Next objective *pew pew pew* :p

Also: Love the MLP gif.

Did you read the article? It does have somewhat of that.

I read the article and they said a few things will be choices. As you said it will have many similarities to DI. I didn't like DI at all.

They said it'll be based on the TV show as opposed to the Telltale games which are supposed to be with the comics (Or so I heard) so that could make it worth playing. Anywho they said it'll be out next year sometime so there'll be more info later on.

If it captures the feel of the show and treats the walkers like they should be, then I'll def check it out. I just can't stand Merle and Daryl tho. God I hate rednecks.

Can't stand Merle, but I like Daryl.
Not excited for this game, though.

I read the article and they said a few things will be choices. As you said it will have many similarities to DI. I didn't like DI at all.

They said it'll be based on the TV show as opposed to the Telltale games which are supposed to be with the comics (Or so I heard) so that could make it worth playing. Anywho they said it'll be out next year sometime so there'll be more info later on.

Telltale games do take place in comics universe. They have the comic designs of the characters -- most notably Hershel -- and they explain things that happen in the comics (such as a certain walker in Hershel's barn).

Also -- regarding DI -- it was a really mediocre game but the mechanic of repairing weapons, sparing ammo, was nice. It'll be interesting how the food system works out. Is it just a standard healing item?

When Patrick started talking trash about the comic (despite not even having read much of it) and presenting that as the consensus opinion I stopped the video. He does stuff like that way too often. The comments section is actually pretty hilarious in the mass head shaking that's erupted.

This game is getting destroyed by critics

When Patrick started talking trash about the comic (despite not even having read much of it) and presenting that as the consensus opinion I stopped the video. He does stuff like that way too often. The comments section is actually pretty hilarious in the mass head shaking that's erupted.

I like Patrick, for the most part. But, he does do that alot. And it's annoying.

Ryan and Brad seem to hold off until they get some facts or solid opinions based on facts from someone else in the podcast room. Jeff doesn't seem to say **** if he doesn't know anything about it, and Vinny would probably play/read everything in the series to talk trash about whatever it is.

I'll never get over the awkwardness of Patrick calling Nolan North an a-hole during an interview. He was trying to be funny...and it just came off as...weird.

I like Patrick a lot as well, but I agree. He paints in ludicrously broad strokes at times and seems to lack any sense of nuance or subtlety.

I like Patrick, I think he's generally a smart guy, but yeah...his personality makes him a bit hard to handle sometimes.

Also it was really annoying that they kept glazing over the mission objectives and complaining about being lost. Brad does this a lot on his own too. The game still looks terrible, but they could have at least paid a little bit of attention to the prompts.

Honestly though, I'm really curious about the game. If I ever see it in the bargain bin, I'm going to pick it up.

I never had any hope for the game...it always looked cheaply made.

I never write "reviews" of games on here...it always just seemed pretentious to me to see a big block of text about a game when you aren't an actual reviewer. That being said, the frustration I have with this game DRIVES me to toss off that notion and type furiously...

It’s been my experience that you can tell the quality of a game based just on the title card/main menu. If you were to judge THIS game based on that, you would begin the game thinking it were designed back high schoolers using mid 90’s technology. From a design standpoint, its an utterly generic, unashamedly pixelated and blocky mess…imagine taking a 1995 computer game and popping it onto my 55 inch HD TV. And that’s just the Main Menu. The game’s actual graphics are only slightly better (though all in game menus and HUD graphics retain the eye abortion that is the main menu’s quality). Seriously, there’s no excuse for this level of crap – my PHONE has better gaming graphics. But whatever, I figure I played games with similar or worse graphics all through the 90s, I can let it go here…

The game starts EXTREMELY awkwardly. Seriously, I thought there was a bug and I somehow missed the first 5-10 minutes of the game. There is no build up, or story, period, to get your baring in the game – the developers seem to expect that your knowledge that this takes place before season 1 should be enough. Unfortunately, this makes a certain “twist”, as well as the overall story lose all potential of ANY impact/drama.

Combat – there really isn’t much to it. This isn’t really designed to be a first person “shooter”, or at least that’s what I tell myself to feel better. Fighting zombies with melee weapons is a joke – you can do a stealth kill, you can shove the zombie away from you, or you can do a quick/”power” attack. That’s it. Each face-to-face encounter with a zombie and melee weapon literally amounts to the zombie standing motionless in front of you as you hit it in the head until it falls over. You get a couple different guns (pistol, rifle, shotgun), but the game punishes you pretty hard for using them – the gunshot always attracts zombies, even after you’ve cleared the area, not to mention they’re clunky as all hell to use. I haven’t gotten Daryl’s crossbow yet, which is surprising.

Level design – they’re small and generic. The dev’s tried to give you a sense of adventure and exploration, but the levels are just too small to give you that chance. There really isn’t any variety whatsoever, you see the same door over and over, the same abandoned cars, the same soda can on the ground. Each level is also the same, game play wise – you enter an area in search of x (gas, food, etc). In doing so, you’ll come across a few survivors who will ask you to find their buddy or some supplies. Pretty simple stuff.

The game tries to do some interesting things, but falls flat. The survivor system is cool in theory, but doesn’t really amount to much: at the end of each level, you have the choice to allow any survivor you came across to come with you. Unfortunately, you can only fit so many in your vehicle, so you gotta figure out who you leave behind, based on their stats and your play style. At the start of each level, you can send them off on fetch quests. It’s not an original idea, and could have been implemented better (the moral quandary of having to leave survivors behind is never brought up).

There’s also a quicktime feature that would be pretty cool if the game looked/responded better – a zombie can grab you, which starts a mini-game where you have to struggle to aim and land a blow to their head before they kill you. This is how I die a lot – not because it’s difficult, but because if there’s 3 or more zombies, they all grab you one after the other – there’s no chance of escaping. It’s pretty much a death cinematic you are forced to play through.

I appreciate the focus on stealth, and admittedly, there are certain sections where I actually felt kind of tense, but that tension becomes frustration due to the terrible lack of save points – there are none aside from the start of a level, so if you stop playing for the day and come back the following day – all the work you may have done in a level will have to be done AGAIN because you quit before completing it. There’s no excuse for that. If you die, you get dumped back to the beginning of the level as well.

The game is a massive disappointment, but I think if you go in knowing that, you might find some amount of enjoyment for a little while. Again, it has some creative ideas, but like with that Main Menu, it’s all a generic, blocky mess. It's a total shame because it's a FPS zombie game with Daryl Friggun Dixon. There's no way this should have been as bad as it is. I say avoid it unless it's free. 2/10.

So this game sounds every bit as bad as The Telltale game is good!

(32 avg on Metacritic, only 1 mixed review..all the others negative!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"