The Wolverine The Wolverine Unleashed Extended Edition Blu-Ray: December 3

So, it looks like my birthday gift will be that Best Buy 3D Special Package edition.

Just looking at the images of it, man the art for this film looks absolutely amazing. The high contrast minimalist cover that looks just as beautiful as it would on a comic book cover, and the beautiful cover that has the black with a red moon, on the best buy box. I haven't watched the movie yet, but I think I can say confidently that they absolutely knocked it out of the ballpark with the promotional art and design of posters/dvd, etc. Just beautiful artwork to look at.

m2208761_zps3570cc6f.jpg

Last edited:
I got that best buy pack. Beautiful also fantastic movie

So, it looks like my birthday gift will be that Best Buy 3D Special Package edition.

Just looking at the images of it, man the art for this film looks absolutely amazing. The high contrast minimalist cover that looks just as beautiful as it would on a comic book cover, and the beautiful cover that has the black with a red moon, on the best buy box. I haven't watched the movie yet, but I think I can say confidently that they absolutely knocked it out of the ballpark with the promotional art and design of posters/dvd, etc. Just beautiful artwork to look at.

m2208761_zps3570cc6f.jpg

Wow! That's gorgeous! Congrats!

Do those versions of THE WOLVERINE (Extended,unrated etc.) have more screen time of Jean?

Dang! I didn't know best buy had that exclusive, I would've bought that! Oh well....

Thanks for the clarification. It bothers me that it says extended version on the cover of the 2 disc set

It actually doesn't, that's an old cover image that Amazon had. I saw the regular version at the mall tonight, and it doesn't have any of that text on the bottom.

Oh bloody hell, If I had known that, I would've gotten that version instead. :csad:

Just saw the extended cut and I liked it even more!

First, the alternate ending with the mask in the case is superb. They REALLY should have used that. Screw future films being constrained by it.

The little things were fine in the extended cut but the ninja battle was EXCEPTIONAL. I listened to the director's commentary and apparently it was both a pacing issue and a ratings issue but it sounded like the ratings cop out. Mangold mentioned that Fox was worried about too much fighting. REALLY? In this movie? REALLY??? The extended cut works so much better than Logan simply getting shot full of arrows. Yes, you probably have to cut some of the blood spray after ninja blender/snow machine but the rest is gold even in PG-13.

To me, the extended version is the real film in my book from now on.

How are you all seeing the Extended cut?

As for Viper i liked her up until the end. She was good in small doses but going bald and being there just to have another woman for Yukio to fight was lame

IA, she kinda looked like moondragon Bald

Finally finally got to see extended version today.

Have no need for original cut now as this is the version to watch in future. Fight scenes have a bit more menace to them now and blood added is not too in your face and OTT luckily but just makes them appear a little more brutal than before.

Ninja fight feels more complete now and not as abrupt an ending and the little added extra scenes are nice touches.

Shame the alt ending isnt included but hey who knows what we might get in the future.

James Mangold answered my question during the Twitter Q&A he did with Amazon today. :woot:

I really enjoyed the extended edition. It's a definite improvement on the theatrical.

And the quality of the blu-ray is superb! This is one of the nicest looking video transfers I've recently seen. It's really just a beautiful looking film. On my 106" projection screen it looks as good as a high end plasma and way better than what you see in the theaters.

Lots of recent movies are too stylized so that they don't look pretty. Man of Steel is a good example of that. Good movie and great effects, but with the undersaturated color palate and film grain, it doesn't look that "pretty".

The Wolverine, on the other hand, is a good movie that also looks beautiful. If you've got a nice HT set-up, this makes great demo material.

Last edited:
Do those versions of THE WOLVERINE (Extended,unrated etc.) have more screen time of Jean?

Yes. One slight addition on the balcony of the Love Hotel. It actually makes me suspect there is more to what she is than just something in Logan's head.

I really enjoyed the extended edition. It's a definite improvement on the theatrical.

And the quality of the blu-ray is superb! This is one of the nicest looking video transfers I've recently seen. It's really just a beautiful looking film. On my 106" projection screen is looks as good as a high end plasma and way better than what you see in the theaters.

Lots of recent movies are do stylized that they don't look pretty. Man of Steel is a good example. Good movie and great effects, but with the undersaturated color palate and film grain, it doesn't look that "pretty".

The Wolverine, on the other hand, is a good movie that also looks beautiful. If you've got a nice HT set-up, this makes great demo material.

100% agreed, this is the first blu-ray I have bought and just got a cheap Blu-ray player to play it on and my tv is getting old now but the quality blew me away. Everything so sharp and colours really stand out.

Cant complain about the quality one bit.

I was excited to finally see the extended cut since I got it for my birthday today. Unfortunately, I have to return it tomorrow due to Costco putting a price sticker on it that'll tear the slipcover when I try to remove it and try to find one without a sticker or go to another shop that'll price match.

Is there a way to get the extended version without buying the 4 disc 3D set? I think it is annoying that the extended version is ONLY on the 3D blu ray disc and I have no 3D tv :(.

It's not "on the 3D blu ray disc". It's in the set that includes the 3D disc, as well as the 2D theatrical blu ray disc, the 2D extended blu ray disc, and the 2D DVD.

Most of the blu ray movies I buy have useless standard def DVD discs packaged in with them that I'm sure raises the price a couple of dollars more than if it was just the blu ray disc alone. But it's certainly nothing worth losing sleep over.

That being said, I believe this was handled poorly considering what the format is capable of. There's no reason the theatrical and extended versions can't be on the same disc using seemless branching. There should be one disc with the option of selecting theatrical version with original ending, theatrical with alternate ending, extended edition with original ending, and extended edition with alternate ending. This has been done before, on old DVD no less.

Frankly, I think they tend to not do that anymore because putting the movies on separate discs instead of using seemless branching on one disc gives them a marketing gimmick (4 disc set) to justify a higher price.

But still, the unleashed extended edition is just a few dollars more than the regular edition. As I said nothing to lose sleep over. If you want the extended edition, buy the set that has it and forget about the 3D disc just like most people who buy blu rays routinely forget that they have an unwanted standard def DVD in most of their blu ray cases.

I bought the 4 disc 3D version cause wal mart had it for 25 bucks on sale and I could have SWORN that the 3D was extended and the 2D was theatrical but I re checked the package and the Extended is on the 2D (yay!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"