• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

I-T-B

Superhero
Reaction score
Hey folks.
Some of you may know either myself or Keyser Sushi. Some of you may not. Whether you know us or not, he and I have embarked on an epic journey, that being the adaptation of L. Frank Baum's book, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, into a film.

"Why I-T-B," you say, "hasn't that already been done, and with Judy Garland and tiny singing people?" Why yes, my friend, it has. It has indeed. However, the film's characters and plot pale in comparison to the marvelous work of literature. It is our intention to create a film that is faithful to the source material, in plot, spirit, and, thanks to the illustrations of W.W. Denslow, look.

We're already well into the pre-production phase, and shooting is scheduled to begin in mid June. Please peruse our website for more information on the project, and feel free to give us some feedback or suggestions.

LINK: http://www.independentstoriesinc.com/WonderfulWizard.htm

Well you'll be going up agaist the guy who made Zardoz. He is also doing an OZ movie. Good luck though.

Well you'll be going up agaist the guy who made Zardoz. He is also doing an OZ movie. Good luck though.

You mean John Boorman? Yeah, we're aware of his version. We started this before he made his announcement, and it was pretty disheartening to hear that news, but after seeing that his was a CGI film with... interesting character designs, we decided to press on. We figure they're very different movies, and there's been a number of adaptations in the past, so what's the harm?

John Boorman's going to have the same problem Walter Murch and Brian Henson had with Return to Oz... it will be judged against a beloved classic.

We're going to sort of ninja our way in there. :ninja:

Looks interesting.

Good luck to the both of you.

I thought Tim Burton or someone like him had a wizard of oz film in the works?

I thought Tim Burton or someone like him had a wizard of oz film in the works?

Tim Burton is doing an Alice in Wonderland film. The only rumours I had heard about Wizard of Oz were about Todd Mcfarlane. He wanted to do a film based on his figures. The Twisted Land of Oz...which I would be down to see if they got a good director.

Whoa. This looks awesome. What kind of budget do you have?

Tim Burton is doing an Alice in Wonderland film. The only rumours I had heard about Wizard of Oz were about Todd Mcfarlane. He wanted to do a film based on his figures. The Twisted Land of Oz...which I would be down to see if they got a good director.

You know, I like Todd McFarlane as much as the next guy, but I remember when those Twisted Land of Oz figures were announced, and I was rather displeased.

I grew up with the Wizard of Oz - not only the movie, but the book, which was the first book I ever read under my own power (in abridged form). So I have kind of a personal connection to that story.

There's always room for re-imaginings but that McFarlane stuff... was NOT Oz.

:o

Whatever we have in our pockets and bank accounts.

Seriously, that little donation tab at the bottom of the site is there for a reason. We're committed to trying to pull off a Lucas-type ANH miracle, but even ANH had a shoestring budget.

We have... like, those plastic things at the end of the shoestrings. :csad:

Looks interesting.

Good luck to the both of you.

Thank you.

Sounds ambitious.

It is an ambitious project, for sure, but we're certain it's something we can pull off. You see, neither of us has an actual life, so... this is pretty much it, at the moment.

looks good, i-t-b.

Thank you guys. As Sean said, our budget is small. We have enough to purchase the materials necessary to begin shooting, and we'll be pouring whatever money we have/can obtain into this project, but it's not as much as we'd like.

Whatever we have in our pockets and bank accounts.

Seriously, that little donation tab at the bottom of the site is there for a reason. We're committed to trying to pull off a Lucas-type ANH miracle, but even ANH had a shoestring budget.

We have... like, those plastic things at the end of the shoestrings. :csad:

You're thinking of aglets. We have an aglet budget.

Interesting.

It's not just been done in 1939, though, it's been done several times, in various mini and maxiseries and movies.

You're making THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ and you're paying for it as you go with an internet site? If nothing else it will be an interesting production process.

I think the character's name is Dorothy "Gale". You know, as in high winds?

Interesting.

It's not just been done in 1939, though, it's been done several times, in various mini and maxiseries and movies.

It has. And it has NEVER been done faithfully to the book, at least not that I have ever seen, and I think that means that if it's been done right, it's never reached a broad audience.

You're making THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ and you're paying for it as you go with an internet site? If nothing else it will be an interesting production process.

You got that right. But what choice do we have?

I think the character's name is Dorothy "Gale". You know, as in high winds?

Yeah, I know, as in high winds. Except Baum didn't give her a last name in the book.

It's been spelled both ways in various places, though it seems he eventually settled on "Gale" in the book "Ozma of Oz." Would it make you feel better if I change it?

This is very interesting, if all goes well and you get the film made how do you plan on releasing it?

It has. And it has NEVER been done faithfully to the book, at least not that I have ever seen, and I think that means that if it's been done right, it's never reached a broad audience.

Aren't your Winged Monkeys going to have bat wings? :).

You got that right. But what choice do we have?

Good point. What are you going to do about the lion?

Yeah, I know, as in high winds. Except Baum didn't give her a last name in the book.

It's been spelled both ways in various places, though it seems he eventually settled on "Gale" in the book "Ozma of Oz." Would it make you feel better if I change it?

The more wordplay the better.

This is very interesting, if all goes well and you get the film made how do you plan on releasing it?

Probably enter it in some film festivals, try to get some exposure that way.

Aren't your Winged Monkeys going to have bat wings? :).

Hey-HEY! You browsed! :)

They are... but Baum never specifically said what kind of wings they had. Just that they had wings. Also, there's a difference between changing designs and throwing the entire plot away. ;)
Good point. What are you going to do about the lion?

Not sure yet. We want to do it CGI but we need a better version of XSI to make that happen.

The more wordplay the better.

An excellent point. Perhaps I will change it...

Sent you guys a fiver for right now, my money's kind of tight. I hope you guys get this off the ground.

Sent you guys a fiver for right now, my money's kind of tight. I hope you guys get this off the ground.

Thank you, man. We appreciate it. Newsletter will start going out next month, hope you enjoy it.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Plus, you have Gary Oldman from the movie Leon as your avvy, so... bonus points. ;)

But yeah, like Clayton said... thank you!

Sounds very interesting. Best of luck to you guys :up:

Last edited:
This seems fascinating and I'm behind it if only to finally see The Cowardly Lion wearing green glasses in the Emerald Palace.

I'd send you guys money but I'm a poor college student. Do you need help in any other way besides monetary?

This seems fascinating and I'm behind it if only to finally see The Cowardly Lion wearing green glasses in the Emerald Palace.

:D

Thanks, man!

I'd send you guys money but I'm a poor college student. Do you need help in any other way besides monetary?

Do we ever! I'll PM you, we'll talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"