The Wrestling Thread is great! The Wrestling Thread is special!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name another instance where a major wrestling company inaugurated a tag team tile and handed it to two guys who weren't even a team until shortly before they won said title.
The WWE has done this. Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle won the first WWE Tag Team Championships at No Mercy 2002. It was also the Smackdown version of the belts, on the first SD solo show.

Name another instance where a major wrestling company inaugurated a tag team tile and handed it to two guys who weren't even a team until shortly before they won said title.

when major wrestling companies inaugurate any title it's usually when they are a minor wrestling company

^ Aside from Slater and Rhyno, I agree with you that the current roster of champions is prety dang awesome (although I do wish Dolph would've won the IC title tonight).

You realize odd couples like Stone Cold/Mankind have been champs right?

Rock & Sock Connection ring a bell?

Or Kane and X Pac. Booker and Goldust. Etc there's been tons of odd couple champions

You realize odd couples like Stone Cold/Mankind have been champs right?

Rock & Sock Connection ring a bell?
Forget that. The exact situation he described has happened before, with Benoit and Angle. They won a tag tournament for the first WWE World Tag Team Championships, which was the Smackdown version of the belts at the time, and it was on the first SD solo PPV. It was the exact same thing as tonight, except perhaps with the best tag match in WWE history.

The NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Championship.

The Briscoes had never teamed with Toru Yano and they won the belts in their first match together, to inaugurate the titles.

The WWE has done this. Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle won the first WWE Tag Team Championships at No Mercy 2002. It was also the Smackdown version of the belts.

Benoit and Angle had established history together, and their title victory was used as part of their ongoing rivalry.

Less than a month ago, Rhyno came in and Gored Slater out of his boots, and yet we're now suppised to buy them as champions? Give me a break.

Benoit and Angle ahad established history together, and their title victory was used as part of their ongoing rivalry.

Less than a month ago, Rhyno came in and Gored Slater out of his boots, and yet we're now suppised to buy them as champions? Give me a break.

Sure that makes no sense...if you haven't been watching the last two months.

Wasn't AJ Styles supposed to be "misused?" and he probably was at the start when he should have beaten Jericho at WM 32, but that doesn't matter now.

I've heard people say that when he first signed with WWE that they were going to misuse him.

Benoit and Angle ahad established history together, and their title victory was used as part of their ongoing rivalry.

Oh you decided to change the rules now? Why am I not surprised? :lmao:

They threw them together because Steph wanted them to stop fighting. They were not an established team until the tournament and they in fact played up the idea that they would betray each other throughout the tournament.

Read your own post. You were wrong.

Wasn't AJ Styles supposed to be "misused?" and he probably was at the start when he should have beaten Jericho at WM 32, but that doesn't matter now.

I've heard people say that when he first signed with WWE that they were going to misuse him.
History would indicate that was a pretty reasonable assumption.

Glad to have been proven wrong.

It's amazing the fan reactions and the following that Slater has now compared to when he started with Nexus. He's the most successful member of that group because Bray Wyatt has never won any titles in WWE.

I liken his fan reaction and popularity to Tye Dillinger's in NXT. Nobody gave a damn about him when he was Gavin Spears in the early days of the WWE version of ECW. But he came back as Tye Dillinger and he's very over in NXT.

Oh you decided to change the rules now? Why am I not surprised? :lmao:

They threw them together because Steph wanted them to stop fighting. They were not an established team until the tournament and they in fact played up the idea that they would betray each other throughout the tournament.

Read your own post. You were wrong.

I wasn't wrong. The situation with Benoit and Angle made sense because of who they were and the established history between them.

With these new current tag titles, the WWE put them on a pair of guys who were literally just thrown together as a team with zero thought to whether or not putting them together actually made sense.

I'd also point out that the situation in 2002 was different in that there were no established teams on the Smackdown roster at the time, which is not the case at all now.

Backlash 2016 Review:

Corbin Vs. Crews

The Lone Wolf defeated Mr. Happy Go Lucky just like in NXT London!

13726631_10207729883952997_2129190900299932143_n.jpg

Women's Championship

I truly believe if Eva didn't get suspended, she would've won become the champion, but I'm happy for Becky Lynch. She paid her dues to finally win the belt. Anybody, but Nikki. She had her time.

14322577_10207729883872995_1567797018775147961_n.jpg

Tag Team Championship

I wanted Zack to win some gold again, but Slater got back over and Rhino is running for office so I'm okay with your new odd couple tag team champions!

14232555_10207729884553012_2930974761048447775_n.jpg

Intercontinental Championship

Hey look, these guys fought for Intercontinental Title at the September PPV 2 years ago with The Miz winning. -_-

14322362_10207729883992998_6504913210876576772_n.jpg

I was looking so forward to this match and they pulled a bait & switch. Thanks to more bad booking, I'm not interested in anything The Eater Of Worlds does from here on out. His credibility is shot for good. He can't even win a match against !@#$%^&* Kane!

14238184_10207729884313006_6303833713982773385_n.jpg

WWE Championship

Match of the night. These two have really good chemistry in the ring. Hot Richmond crowd, who totally turned on Ambrose (guess who's turning heel on Tuesday?) I would've preferred a clean finish, but hey, AJ Styles is the new WWE Champion! Let that sink in...

Overall, really good PPV. Bravo, WWE.

Edge and Hogan were tag champs. Hogan's last title reign.

AJ mother ****ing Styles!

So now all four of the Horsewomen of NXT have won titles in WWE/NXT.

So these two end up as the top guys in the WWE:

gettyimages-139515908.jpg

3189302-kevin-steen-rohonhdnet-scott-finkelstein.jpg

Gives me some hope of this guy:

02.jpg

Of course, there's also him:

l_793ef29fac05d34f773034999b38e8061.jpg

When I was heavy into ROH a decade ago, that was the one thing I never thought I would have ever seen.

Raven and Tommy Dreamer were ECW tag team champs, and their big storyline was despising each other.

^ They weren't the first champions, but if they had been, it would've made sense and not been a disservice to the titles because of their established history with one another.

I wasn't wrong. The situation with Benoit and Angle made sense because of who they were and the established history between them.

With these new current tag titles, the WWE put them on a pair of guys who were literally just thrown together as a team with zero thought to whether or not putting them together actually made sense.

I'd also point out that the situation in 2002 was different in that there were no established teams on the Smackdown roster at the time, which is not the case at all now.
Read your original post. You said a team that was thrown together right before they won the title. Angle and Benoit were thrown together. You didn't say anything about an established history outside of being tag partners. Now you want to change the argument because you were of course wrong.

Slater and Rhyno made perfect sense in context. Slater needed a partner, and Rhyno, who held no grudges and was doing nothing else, signed up. And since then they established a relationship and a tag style that capitalized on Slater's underdog status and Rhyno's veteran status. The Gore is still legit unlike most WWE finishers.

No one in that arena was complaining, no where here was. In fact except for you, everyone seems to love this. So how was it wrong?

I've become a Slater fan since Social Outcasts, although I don't care for Bo Dallas or Curtis Axel. They've come out to silence. Heath is popular.

Becky Lynch, WWE Smackdown Womens Champion and AJ Styles, World Champion....both are going to take some getting used to. I never considered Nikki Bella to win at all. The moment that they announced a Women's Championship for Smackdown, I had thought it would be Becky for several reasons:

1. She was the first woman drafted by Smackdown. That meant that they had some major plans for her.
2. Title reigns for Ambrose, Balor and Owens gave me hope that Becky's turn would come.
3. She's very popular. She also represented the WWE at San Diego Comic-Con, which we know is the biggest of these Comic-Cons. She was on a WWE/Mattel panel with AJ Styles and the New Day.

Also, this tag team title win is more important for Heath Slater than his three tag team title reigns with Justin Gabriel back in the Nexus days because he has a fan following now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"