Homecoming The Zendaya is Mary Jane thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are her eyes red? Is she powered in this?

IDA. The writing for him was awful and unlike Johnny. He was way too broody and moody as Johnny and didnt nail the fact that the character was supposed to be fun

It's werid because Michael B. Jordan played a great Johnny Storm in the movie Chronicle even though that's not what his character name was.

For me i have no problem with a black mary jane even tho they could of given her red hair but i digress my main problem is zendaya said in an interview that her character is very dry and really awkward which is nothing like MJ ,she also by set photos has a very mousy,shy,timid look which is also nothing like MJ.

if your gonna change the comicbook race then you better nail the personality of the character which it doesn't sound like they are

michael b jordan(Johnny Storm),laurence fishburne(Perry White),michael clark duncan(Kingpin) despite being a different race nailed their characters personality

Michael B Jordan wasn't anything like Johnny Storm though. People speculated he would be and would nail the character based on either his real life personality or other characters he's portrayed, but he wasn't like that at all. He was very brooding and weighed down with angst.

And then FFINO defenders argued afterwards that this was the portrayal that MBJ was going for, so he DID nail his portrayal. :whatever:

James Gunn said this on his Facebook page:

For me, if a character's primary attribute - the thing that makes them iconic - is the color of their skin, or their hair color, frankly, that character is shallow and sucks. For me, what makes MJ MJ is her alpha female playfulness, and if the actress captures that, then she'll work. And, for the record, I think Zendaya even matches what I think of as MJ's primary physical characteristics - she's a tall, thin model - much more so than actresses have in the past.

But if MJ does turn out to be awkward and dry and mousey, then in what sense has she captured that alpha female playfulness?

But I'm guessing we'll then hear something similar for MJ that we did about MBJ for Johnny Storm that she was giving a different portrayal of MJ that WAS meant to be awkward and non-alpha female or playful, so she DID capture that version she was going for, even though it's nothing like traditional MJ. :whatever:

I, personally, do not care if she is MJ. If she does a good job acting and playing the character, then I am happy. That is the most important thing to me.

I, personally, do not care if she is MJ. If she does a good job acting and playing the character, then I am happy. That is the most important thing to me.

And if she doesn't? Will you just say she was playing a different version of MJ, so you're still happy?

Michael B Jordan wasn't anything like Johnny Storm though. People speculated he would be and would nail the character based on either his real life personality or other characters he's portrayed, but he wasn't like that at all. He was very brooding and weighed down with angst.

And then FFINO defenders argued afterwards that this was the portrayal that MBJ was going for, so he DID nail his portrayal. :whatever:

But if MJ does turn out to be awkward and dry and mousey, then in what sense has she captured that alpha female playfulness?

But I'm guessing we'll then hear something similar for MJ that we did about MBJ for Johnny Storm that she was giving a different portrayal of MJ that WAS meant to be awkward and non-alpha female or playful, so she DID capture that version she was going for, even though it's nothing like traditional MJ. :whatever:

KOLAN.gif

And if she doesn't? Will you just say she was playing a different version of MJ, so you're still happy?

Well, that depends. If the changes that they make to the character are good, then I will be happy. If I do not like the changes, then no, I obviously will not be happy. The main discussion regarding her possibly being MJ is the colour of her skin. That does not bother me at all, which is what I was referring to in my last post. That will never be one of my complaints.

Well said

Why couldn't Josh Trank have been directing this movie? Then we could put all the blame on him again. :o

Maybe he can be an honorary director.

I'm sad that MJ isn't a sizzling red head cutey whitey but it is what it is. I'm sure Zendaya will be fine as MJ though, she's gorgeous and has that allure.

I'm Asian btw if anyone wants to square up wassgood.

Why couldn't Josh Trank have been directing this movie? Then we could put all the blame on him again. :o

Maybe he can be an honorary director.

They'll be no blaming Fox or Sony on this one! :funny: This is all Marvel Studios, baby! :hehe:

They'll be no blaming Fox or Sony on this one! :funny: This is all Marvel Studios, baby! :hehe:

Give us Trank for this movie!! :argh:

What's a bit more blame heaped on him when he's already blacklisted in Hollywood? :o

IF they drastically change the character, then I'll be pretty disappointed. Whether I complain about it on the Inter webs depends on whether or not the part is good.

Give us Trank for this movie!! :argh:

What's a bit more blame heaped on him when he's already blacklisted in Hollywood? :o

You gotta love the irony in all of this though, Dark Raven.

Fox caught bad place for casting Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm from the fanbase and now Marvel goes and does the exact same thing with MJ.

It's obvious what will happen. Poor aspects or decisions of the movie will be blamed on Sony and good aspects or decisions will be credited to Marvel.

Fox caught bad place for casting Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm from the fanbase and now Marvel goes and does the exact same thing with MJ.

Not so much irony as hypocrisy on the part of those who hated his casting (long before footage emerged) and are ok with this casting

Well, whoever does it I'm not going to be pleased. I'm not going to just give Marvel a free pass just because they're Marvel.

If they put out the exact same movie as FFINO, I still wouldn't enjoy it. I'm not going to convince myself it's good just because it's a Marvel product.

I haven't enjoyed everything Marvel has done. I didn't really like Iron Man 2, and liked Iron Man 3 even less.

I'm not going to point fingers, but it's pretty disgusting to automatically label people who are maybe critical of this casting choice as racist.

I'm not taking a side on this right now. But it's insulting to call someone who maybe disagrees is racist.

I'm not going to point fingers, but it's pretty disgusting to automatically label people who are maybe critical of this casting choice as racist.

I'm not taking a side on this right now. But it's insulting to call someone who maybe disagrees is racist.

:up:

Based on how people have been saying it was supposed to be a big reveal at the end of the movie, yeah. But Mayimbe had beef with Sony, so he leaked it. Pretty petty if you ask me

At least he was courteous enough not to put it in the headline.

I mean I don't think he's free from blame. He has a tendency to be petulant and to sulk, so it wouldn't surprise me if he did this to be petty.

Vulture's article CLEARLY does not. They add credibility to Mayimbe's report by citing that they've heard from their own sources that it's true, and they even gave an extra tidbit of info (that wasn't even present in the Wrap's article) that she's revealed at the end of the movie.

Just to be technical, they didn't claim their sources said it was true, just that their sources said the reveal was supposed to be a surprise.

One "corroborating source" is not enough. You need at least two.

Well, that's just ridiculous. You said it was uncorroborated. Now you're agreeing that it's corroborated, it's just not corroborated by two sources.

And I was really looking forward to having Peter go through several different loves in each movie before meeting Gwen and eventually MJ. Throwing MJ into the mix first is just to me trying to be Raimi all over again.

Well, this movie has Liz as the girl that Peter is after-- so they will be exploring different loves. On the contrary, the Raimi films had Peter after Mary Jane and only Mary Jane from the beginning, so no, it doesnt seem like they're trying to be Raimi. However, it does seem like they're setting MJ up to be the most significant love interest in the long run, which is what they should be doing imo.

:up:

Especially, when I was perfectly fine with MCD as Kingpin, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, Vondie-Curtis Hall as Ben Urich, or Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury. And like I said, Will Smith wasn't my first choice for Deadshot but he did wow me. Whether this was from the characterization of the character or how Will played him, I am not sure, but it was a big surprise and a delight.

I'm not saying Zendaya isn't pretty or could deliver something if she is MJ but the whole keeping her true identity a secret is stupid, the set pics don't scream MJ to me, while Queens is diverse it seems they went a little overboard with changing races of characters even though they also created original characters too are different ethnicities ( :huh: ) and I like others was hoping for a white redheaded girl to play her.

I am not going to be like some where I am so purist that I won't see the film because MJ is now black but can't say I am happy about it just because I so badly wanted a real genuine redhead as MJ. However, if more changes come where it's say Tyne Daly as a female J. Jonah Jameson... one has to go, like Dark Raven talks about, are fans going to keep defending all of these changes or when do they feel things have gotten out of hand as far as changes go?

Eh?!?

Usually when someone is called racist it's b/c of the tone and the choice of words they use to express themselves.

If you're more concerned over being called racist then actually looking at what you did or said that could have been interpreted as such, aren't you part of the problem...

That was rhetorical by the way, the answer is 'yes you are'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"