The Dark Knight There's Something About Alfred

You know, not only is Alfred the butler of Bruce Wayne, but he is also a father figure. He doesn't have to be modest all the time with "sir," etc. Hell, he doesn't even have to, but does it out of courtesy and respect for Bruce and the Wayne family.

You will probably be banned.

er unlikely given the context and that that word isn't racial in any way except *almost* through spelling. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/niggle

I love Michael Caine's Alfred. His accent's alright - I don't understand how some of you can't get past it, it's not like he has a thick Scottish accent or anything.
His relationship with Bruce Wayne is great - I love the whole "still haven't given up on me" thing - paternal in a word. And MC's just generally a dude.

Sounds like giggle, but with an 'N' :joker: .

it seems to me that the typical portrayol of alfred in the comics and in animation is pretty stereotypial, and is clearly an americans idea of what an english butler would do....

"the lines were written clearly by an american writer, so it had all these lines like, make haste... whereas a butler would just say hurry up sir"

:lmao: So true.

I personally Love Caine's interpretation of Alfred, I think he and Bale have a really good connection, but does anybody else get the feeling that Caine is right about to say "judo chop" like in austin powers sometimes? :ninja:

the relationship between bale and caine seems a lot more personal -gough is basically a sarcastic prick, whereas caine is loving, paternal and witty

Suppose this is the right place for this particular topic.

After watching the TDK teaser for the zillionth time it reminded me of something that has mildly bugged me about Michael Caine's portrayal of Alfred: He sounds, well, common. In the teaser, it sounds to me like Alfred says 'Some men just wanna watch the world burn' it just doesn't seem like something a butler would say.

Also, in BB, when Alfred and Bruce are flying back to Gotham, Alfred says 'actually sir, i was finkin about myself'.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Michael Caine is a great actor, but he can do posh (see Zulu), so no idea why he goes all cockerney. Maybe I'm just too fond of Michael Gough. Oh well, thought I'd throw this out for conversation.

And what would a butler say?

"I'll cancel the pizzas"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"