Things You Didn't Like in Comic Book Films You Loved

Rowsdower!

Avenger
Reaction score
Sort of the reverse of the other thread. What are some things that happened in comic book movies that you loved that you wish they'd have done differently or excluded altogether?

The Dark Knight: Batman killing dogs. I wish he'd have gone the Violent Marv route and just found a way to subdue them.

Man of Steel: Clark letting his father die. The scene is incredibly well-acted and tear-jerking, but I wish they'd have found another way for Jonathan to die. That scene just bothers me.

The Avengers: The beginning of the film just felt really awkward to me. People say that Avengers: AOU began abruptly, but I felt like the first one had an even more abrupt intro. It was just kinda like, wait... who are these guys? What the hell is even going on here?

Captain America: Something just didn't click with Hugo Weaving's Red Skull. I can't even say what it was, since he looked perfect and Weaving's performance was decent. I don't know. The Skull has always been Cap's archenemy and the fact that no one seems to care if we ever see him again seems like an indicator that he wasn't a very memorable bad guy.

Captain America TWS: I know Marvel does this thing sometimes where they introduce characters and don't have them do much, only to have them play a bigger role later. But I feel like that approach with Sharon Carter was a mistake. She barely registers in the film because so much screentime was eaten up by other actors. And that's okay when it's the Falcon or Black Widow. But I really didn't need to see more Maria Hill. Most of her scenes could have been given to Sharon to make her character more interesting.

Spider-Man: Willem Defoe delivered a pretty hammy performance in this movie. On one hand, I think it worked because of the tone they were going for. But on the other hand, Defoe can play a downright vicious bad guy when he's allowed to. It almost feels like a missed opportunity. He could have given us a truly terrifying Goblin if he was allowed to. Also, the Goblin costume just looks worse and worse with age. Especially given that Defoe almost looks like the Goblin in real life. I've always felt that they should have gone the Ultimate route and had his physical appearance change into that of the Goblin instead of giving him that stupid Power Ranger mask and suit.

Spider-Man 2
The whole lack of confidence has him lose his powers then they come back. Made no sense that his mood would change his abilities

First Class
Wasted Darwin and to an extent Emma Frost

THOR
Every scene with Shield or Coulson except when Thor breaks free

Captain America First Avenger
Glossing over his entire WWII Career so they could force him into the future for the Avengers

Blade
The sub-Plot with the Doctor lady wasn't interesting

Man of Steel
Got action fatigue toward the end. Was just too relentless

Guardians of the Galaxy
Formulaic & Ronan being a megalomaniac characture

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot about Darwin in First Class. I love that movie, but anytime a movie invokes the "black man dies first" cliche, it loses some points.

All the more silly since his power was adapting. He should of adapted to a straight white American male. Woulda saved his life

TDK - Catching Mr Lau

TDKR - Blake's explanation of how he knew Bruce was Batman. Nice spot to make a joke about Batman's activity coinciding with Bruce's returns and departures from Gotham.

Iron Man 3 - All of the suits getting in the big brawl at the movie's end, the mid-air rescue sequence.

Iron Man - Obadiah Stane

Guardians of the Galaxy - Thanos

Last edited:
X-Men - I didn't think Anna Paquin's acting was really that great.

Sin City - Mickey Rourke's story was the weak link for me.

Batman Begins - The incoherent action, more than anything. The final Scarecrow scene was pretty goofy.

Captain America: The First Avenger - The Howling Commandos were poor comedy relief.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Not much visual style. Scarlett didn't look nearly as good as in the other movies. I think her orange-ish hair made her skin look dry somehow.

Iron Man 2 - Whiplash wasn't as much of a presence as he should have been, and the fight between Tony and Rhodey was childish and stupid. My solution (given that I don't care anything about The Avengers): have Whiplash attack a military asset in the middle of the movie. Tony's drunk and handles it badly, so Rhodey steals the suit. Natasha (not Nick Fury) reveals herself as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and gets Tony back on track. No Avengers scene, no Thor scene. No Coulson, either...any exposition Tony needs to do can be done with Natasha. It would tighten the film up.

Spider-Man 2 - Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane. Completely miscast and too much of a damsel in distress.

Iron Man - Final battle with the Iron Monger was kind of lame.

Thor - Odin drifting into the Odinsleep seemed kind of convenient.

Captain America The First Avenger - Am not a fan of the action montage of Cap's exploits in the 3rd act. Also, I really wish the filmmakers let Cap fight real Nazis instead of just Hydra goons. If Indiana Jones can fight Nazis, why not Steve Rogers?

Captain America The Winter Soldier - Cap's durability seems goddamn unreal at times. The fall from the SHIELD Triskellion was already stretching it. But falling from that bridge and into a bus? An accident that would killed most normal people? I'm confused as to which is indestructible. The shield or him?

Guardians of the Galaxy - Ronan was a one dimensional baddie and kind of bland to boot.

X-Men First Class - Magneto's costume at the end. Somebody fire whoever designed that.

X-Men Days of Future Past - It's too bad Wolverine in the past only has bone claws. Would have liked to have seen him slicing up Sentinels.

Batman Begins - Dialogue at times gets to be overtly pretentious. But that's Nolan for you...

The Dark Knight - And it's ten times worse in the sequel!

Nearly everything Jor El in Man of Steel.

John Robin Blake recognizing Bruce as Batman due to the look in his eyes in TDKR.

The gratuitous and indulgent action scenes in Guardians of the Galaxy.

The lack of a competent sequel to X-Men: First Class.

Man of Steel: Clark letting his father die. The scene is incredibly well-acted and tear-jerking, but I wish they'd have found another way for Jonathan to die. That scene just bothers me.

This. This plus Jonathan's comment about letting a bus load of school kids die both just mangle the character. He's supposed to be a pillar of morality that taught Superman what morality is (a la Uncle Ben to Spider-Man). MoS didn't show that character at all. At. All. If anything Superman serves people despite his dad's example, not because of it.

Spider-Man
When Spider-Man looks like a bouncing plastic doll.

Spider-Man 3
  • Peter not sensing Goblin. I guess they had Gerry Conway's "You can't sense a friend" moment here, a rule I hate.
  • MJ "Don't give me the Horse". Only in that moment I have a problem with her.
  • Sandman's "I didn't want anyone to die". Dude, you agreed to Venom's "We're going to kill the spider".

Watchmen
Unnecessary nudity is unnecessary.
Rorschach telling Dr. Manhattan to kill him and the doc obliges.

X-Men Days of Future Past
Magneto (McKellen) did not tell the sentinel "You shall not pass"
:oldrazz:
I keed about this one.
Spider-Man 2
The whole lack of confidence has him lose his powers then they come back. Made no sense that his mood would change his abilities
Yes to that.

TDKR - Blake's explanation of how he knew Bruce was Batman. Nice spot to make a joke about Batman's activity coinciding with Bruce's returns and departures from Gotham.
And to that.

Okay, let's start with Superman films

1) Superman the Movie, loved it. Chris Reeve will always be my fave Superman.

but..... even as an 8 year old watching the film in the cinema, when he flies around the world so fast he turns back TIME ??????

Even then it was dumb, still is today. But otherwise the film is pure magic !

2) Man of Steel: loved it too, except for Pa Ken't death. There had to be a way to make that scene better.

I mean, I get the whole point that Jonathan was willing to die to protect Clark's secret, but just warning him off with a hand seemed dumb. In fact that's one of the things that Superman the Movie got right, was that despite his godlike might Superman couldn't prevent death........which is why I hated the turning back time thing so much.

I won't even go near TDKR today, too much to say.

Cap: TWS and Avengers- These are my top 2 comic book films, but I don't really like the cinematography in either one. Idk if its the lighting or what, but it feels a little stark or flat or something.

Also, sometimes the Avengers feels like it was filmed on sets, instead of in actual places.

X-Men DoFP - The way all the non-Mystique/Erik/Logan/Charles/Hank mutants were turned into cannon fodder.
I also loathed how Emma Frost and the other First Class characters were killed off-screen. It didn't even make any sense. How the hell can you torture a telepath without her mind-raping you, or a teleporter without him escaping?

GOTG - "Dance-Off, Bro!" Also the fact that Ronan was basically Malekith 2.0.

The Dark Knight - Takes quite a while to get going.

Edit:

Thor - Jane's "Oh my God!" line. As much as I love Natalie Portman and her portrayal of the character, her line delivery here was just awful.

Last edited:
X-Men Days of Future Past
Sucked that we didn't get any future Wolverine vs future Sentienls action and Beast being in human form, wasn't a fan of that.

The Amazing Spider-Man
Lizard saving Peter from falling was a nice redemption moment but everyone forgot Spidey could just put his hand on the tower and stick to it.

X-Men - The shot of Wolverine spinning around the top of the Statue of Liberty's crown with his claw.

Spider-Man - Some of the cg.

Spider-Man 2 - Some of the dialogue in the scene about Oc meeting his wife. It feels a bit in love with itself.

Batman Begins - Third act gets a tad dull in spots.

The Dark Knight - Some of the pacing in the last act, at least on my first viewing.

The Dark Knight Rises - The tumbler chase isnt exciting.

Man of Steel - Jor El and Zod story time. Third act pacing and and some of the cg.

Last edited:
X2 Cyclops' lack of role. He was one of my favourite characters in the cartoon. Though it got worse in X3, but I hate that movie, so.

X2 Cyclops' lack of role. He was one of my favourite characters in the cartoon. Though it got worse in X3, but I hate that movie, so.
Strongly agreed about Cyclops.
His best film moment is when he and Storm save Logan and Rogue in the first film, after that it's mostly downhill for the character.

Strongly agreed about Cyclops.
His best film moment is when he and Storm save Logan and Rogue in the first film, after that it's mostly downhill for the character.

I wouldn't say that, he was still in X1 quite a lot and had some important scenes, like his promise to Xavier that he would take care of the X-Men if Xavier didn't come out of his coma. And his contribution in the final battle.

He should have been in X2 more though. In fairness to Singer, I think he did plan on Cyclops having a big role in his X3. But then Ratner and Rothman ruined that in their X3.

X-2 :Wasting Cyclops.

TDK: pacing was off towards the end.

CA:TWS : The full CGI fest with helicarriers falling out of the sky. Kinda undercut the emotional drama between Steve and Bucky. If it wasn't the "I'm with you till the end of the line" moment, everything would have fallen apart for me.

SM2: Peter pining for MJ.

X-M: FC : Emma Frost and killing Off Darwin.

X-2 :Wasting Cyclops.

TDK: pacing was off towards the end.

CA:TWS : The full CGI fest with helicarriers falling out of the sky. Kinda undercut the emotional drama between Steve and Bucky. If it wasn't the "I'm with you till the end of the line" moment, everything would have fallen apart for me.

SM2: Peter pining for MJ.

X-M: FC : Emma Frost and killing Off Darwin.

Agree about the ending of TWS, I loved the action in The movie up until that point, but the 3rd act just became a bit of a mess, and the Cap vs Bucky final fight was a bit disappointing considering what had come before.

Agree about Darwin as well, was hoping he would come back at some point as there is so much potential with the character.

This. This plus Jonathan's comment about letting a bus load of school kids die both just mangle the character. He's supposed to be a pillar of morality that taught Superman what morality is (a la Uncle Ben to Spider-Man). MoS didn't show that character at all. At. All. If anything Superman serves people despite his dad's example, not because of it.

Eh, I don't totally agree with that. I didn't look at it as Jonathan tell him he SHOULD have let those kids die. I just looked at it as a concerned father looking out for his son. He knew one day Clark would become a hero. But Clark was still a child then, and Jonathan was afraid that the repercussions would be too much for the kid to handle.

Eh, I don't totally agree with that. I didn't look at it as Jonathan tell him he SHOULD have let those kids die. I just looked at it as a concerned father looking out for his son. He knew one day Clark would become a hero. But Clark was still a child then, and Jonathan was afraid that the repercussions would be too much for the kid to handle.

He did say yes to the question if Clark should just have let them die (although changes it to "I don't know" later, but anything other than dismissing the option makes him a horrible person), and he's rather afraid of what other people will think when they realize Clark is not human than afraid of that it's too much for Clark.

The last sentiment is however also destroyed in that scene since Jonathan is trying to say that Pete's mom is afraid, when it's completely illogical that she would be from what we've shown. She's sitting there talking about providence, which means that she thinks God stepped down on Earth and through Clark he saved the children, including her son. If a Christian thinks that happened it should rather be the best day of her life, since it both shows that God is real and good, and that she got to keep her child. So Jonathan is obviously also lying for his weird agenda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"