Things You Didn't Like in Comic Book Films You Loved

What was wrong with Obadiah? He was easily the best villain of the IM movies.

That's because the Iron Man movies never had a decent villain. As for Stane himself, he just wasn't interesting. He was pretty generic and predictable and felt more like an item on a checklist than a character.

Out if curiosity do you have a dog? I do and if he was stuck in a car during a tornado I would run back to save him.

As I said above though kind of agree on the death although my problem was more in the editing. I would gave preferred that maybe Clark had been off elsewhere in Smallville and didn't have time to save his Dad. I still think that would have gotten the 'have to wait' message across as he would feel guilt over his father dying.

You mean the *****s? :woot:

I have had dogs in the past, now I have rabbits. Yeah, it was somewhat hyperbolic. Some people would run into a tornado to save a dog. Some people will treat their dog like it's actually a human child. Neither of those people are really the norm most places, and nothing in the movie suggested that Johnathan Kent was the kind of guy to do that sort of thing. Hell, he was telling his son NOT to save people in order to protect him against some completely theoretical danger - and yet, he runs into a huge tornado to save a dog? Doesn't make sense.

I would've preferred Clark actually disobey him right there and wind up making a mistake which contributed to his death. It would've been much more in line with his character at that point and would've been a much better set up for the idea of this heavily conflicted wanderer Clark.

Only with FF. With other franchises they seem to give directors a lot of freedom.

They should have left the FF alone entirely.

Singer wanted Cyke to have a big part in his X3, and in fairness with X1 it was his first action movie and a different time for CBMs. The action in X1 in general was not very good. With CBMs being very different today you can see Singers movies differing.

He wanted to but it didn't happen so its irrelevant. I can excuse him not giving Cyclops any sort of character in X-1 but what about X-2? There is simply no excuse for it. I don't care about action either, what about developing Cyclops and other characters. He seemed to forget that the X-Men are a TEAM.

I think people forget what the climate was for CBMs back in 2000, they were generally considered a joke and X1 and Singers take on it was a big reason CBMs started becoming respectful again. Even in 2003 when X2 came out they were not what they are today.

So what?:funny: What does that have to do with Singer mishandling Cyclops? It doesn't give him the excuse to do what he did with the character. If there's one thing I'll never forgive Singer for, is how he handled Cyclops.

I think with Apocalypse Singer will address Cyke's lack of screen time in the previous trilogy.

I sincerely hope so.

That's because the Iron Man movies never had a decent villain.

Outside of Stane I agree with that.

As for Stane himself, he just wasn't interesting. He was pretty generic and predictable and felt more like an item on a checklist than a character.

I wouldn't call him generic. His character was that of someone who was a long time friend of Tony's, been in business with the Stark's for decades, helped build up the company etc. He had Tony's trust and admiration. I thought he was a great snake in the grass villain.

I admit his motives as to why he decided to turn on Tony were a little sketchy, it's pretty much implied it was about the wealth and power. But Bridges did a great job selling it I thought. He never felt predictable or a checklist character.

The twist that he was in league with the terrorists and arranged Tony's abduction was great. That scene where he catches Pepper in his office is probably the most tense scene of any MCU movie.

Iron Man has plenty of very tense scenes, like when Yusuf was gonna get a taste of some molten lava by the bald terrorist, the aforementioned, and the golden goose speech by Stane as he was taking Tony's heart out. Wonderful film.

Not Bayne, but I wasn't a fan of Stane's character or suit.

I have had dogs in the past, now I have rabbits. Yeah, it was somewhat hyperbolic. Some people would run into a tornado to save a dog. Some people will treat their dog like it's actually a human child. Neither of those people are really the norm most places, and nothing in the movie suggested that Johnathan Kent was the kind of guy to do that sort of thing. Hell, he was telling his son NOT to save people in order to protect him against some completely theoretical danger - and yet, he runs into a huge tornado to save a dog? Doesn't make sense.

I would've preferred Clark actually disobey him right there and wind up making a mistake which contributed to his death. It would've been much more in line with his character at that point and would've been a much better set up for the idea of this heavily conflicted wanderer Clark.

I think the Kent's in general have been badly portrayed in the Synder movies, his mom basically tells Clark to stop saving people in the BvS trailer. It's the thing that bugs me most of about the movies, I'm one of the ones that actually likes Man of Steel though. The Kent's just don't work though.

I think the Kent's in general have been badly portrayed in the Synder movies, his mom basically tells Clark to stop saving people in the BvS trailer. It's the thing that bugs me most of about the movies, I'm one of the ones that actually likes Man of Steel though. The Kent's just don't work though.
Agreed about liking MoS, and not welcoming the moment in BvS trailer of Martha Kent telling Kal he has no responsibility toward people.

I don't know. I'm busy enough complaining about movies I don't like.

But to make this post on topic, I will say, MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice in Ninja Turtles movies isn't necessary.

Something about Avengers felt...convenient. It didn't feel like the characters were flesh and blood people making the best decisions for the different scenarios that came up; it felt like they were just floating through the script from scene to scene. The script drove the characters and not the other way around.

In Man of Steel, I didn't like Superman's costume, and the action and fight sequences complete with toppling buildings and smashed Ihops drug on and on and on and on...and on. I was kind of fatigued by the end of it.

The Daredevil director's cut was an impressive and monumental step up from the theatrical release, but it still had Elektra Garner.

Despite its flaws, I really enjoy Ang Lee's Hulk. But the lack of an actual villain was kind of a bummer. Yes, his dad, General Ross, and Talbot are all bad, but where was the actual comic book villain?

Spider-Man 2 actually bores me in a lot of places. It's a pretty heavy movie. It's not the kind of thing I can watch over and over like the first and 3rd one. It's a good movie, don't get me wrong, but it's a lot of movie crammed into its running time. Not good for repeat consumption.

Spider-Man 3 is similar to Hulk. It does have flaws, but I like it anyway. But it meanders a lot, losing its focus with way too many stories to tell. I don't think Raimi handled that all that well.

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? Same thing that happens to everything else." This line almost kills the climax of X-Men for me. Really, Halle Berry was just all kinds of wrong for that character.

X2 was good and all, but I wish they'd done something a little more "team based" and used bits of this story for Wolverine Origins instead. Because that movie was horrid. Also, Colossus's American accent and lack of screen time was criminal.

Days of Future Past needed more Kitty and I just cringe at that climax scene. They should have gone back in time to snuff out Magento. Oh. My. God. In one scene he's trying to kill Raven to save mutants and in the next he's dropping a ****ing stadium on the White House and threatening the president on national TV. He's more trouble than he's worth sometimes.

And finally, the memory-erasing kiss from Superman II bothered me a whole hell of a lot more than time travel via spinning the world backwards.

I'll just do my top 3 (currently) CBMs:

1-Avengers- Loki mind-controlling Hawkeye. Clint isn't a great character and the MCU had done very little to establish him as sympathetic. I realize the point was to play on the past history between Clint and Natasha, but it felt flat with Hawkeye having so little development beforehand.

2-The Dark Knight- The way that Batman gained the physical upper hand on the Joker in their last scene together was a little lacking. It was finesse rather than power or tenacity.

3- Captain America: The Winter Soldier--Cap dropping his shield from the hellicarrier. I know he was trying to convey the extent to which he valued Bucky's friendship, but that shield is made of one of the rarest metals on earth and Cap's signature weapon. I find it hard to believe that he didn't care at all if he lost it.

Last edited:
The Dark Knight - How Bruce got finger prints of a shattered bullet scene I mean none that made any logical sense to me

the Dark Knight rises - Catwoman Knocking out league of Shadow soldiers with one punch

Man of Steel - Jor El being able to speak to lois lane WTF is that and Lois Lane magically climbing that ice to get to the scouting ship that was just plain awful

Guardians of the Galaxy - Ronan being distracted by a effin dance that almost killed the movie for me

X-men days of future past - Hulk/Beast

Man of Steel - Jor El being able to speak to lois lane WTF is that and Lois Lane magically climbing that ice to get to the scouting ship that was just plain awful

Why shouldn't he be able to speak to her? He was a computer projection created by a race that clearly had perfect translators (just look at Zod's worldwide broadcast).

I'll just do my top 3 (currently) CBMs:

3- Captain America: The Winter Soldier--Cap dropping his shield from the hellicarrier. I know he was trying to convey the extend to which he valued Bucky's friendship, but that shield is made of one of the rarest metals on earth and Cap's signature weapon. I find it hard to believe that he didn't care at all if he lost it.

I could believe it. That shield wasn't there for him when he had and was nothing, Bucky was.

In the Avengers,I really wanted Thor to recharge Tony's armor and bring him back with lightning not just have the Hulk scream at Tony. Even if they wanted the Bro moment Thor should have still rebooted the armor ( 400% power)

Man Of Steel - Pa Kent dying. Would've preferred he lived.
Captain America: TWS - Slightly too much shaky cam.
Guardians of the Galaxy - Maybe the villain side of things was a little weak.
Iron Man Three - They could've done the Tony/Rhodey buddy cop movie a bit more. Plus the EXTREMIS soldier effects looked flakey.

Ultron had so much wasted potential in AoU. He could have easily curbstomped all of the Avengers during the final fight but instead chose to pick on Vision and Thor only

I'd like to preface this by saying that these are all some of my absolute favorite films of the genre. But here we go:

-The Avengers
- The first 20 minutes. Clunky and weirdly-paced.

-The Avengers: Age of Ultron - I really did love this film, and I wasn't against Bruce/Natasha in concept, but the execution of their relationship was weak, imo.

-Captain America: The Winter Soldier - the forced shaky cam. I'm not against shaky cam, never had a problem with the Greengrass Bourne movies. But this seemed like shaky cam done by people who didn't know how to use it properly, and I found it unnatural and distracting.

- The Dark Knight - the dialogue of the mobsters (especially in the 1st act), some of Batman's dialogue when Bale was straining the Bat-voice and the Gordon fake-out.

TDK is great, but it's riddled with nonsense.

-Joker's bank heist involves crashing a school bus into a bank wall in broad daylight and he gets away scot free.
-Bat-voice.
-The previously mentioned finger-print on a bullet. Doesn't work like that.
-Joker's police station escape involves detonating a bomb which will knock out everyone in the building, barring himself of course... for some reason.
-Bat-voice.
-Gordon fakes his own death for no reason, and somehow manages to fool people despite the heavily corrupted police force he works with.
-Joker manages to rig an entire hospital with explosives, along with bridges and boats and all sorts without detection.
-Bat-voice.
-"5 Dead. 2 of them cops." Still don't know who Gordon is refering to.
-While Batman's sacrifice of image at the end is totally in-character, I still see no reason for Batman to take the blame for a few deaths when the obvious candidate is the Joker.

... To name a few. The action is kind of crappy. Nolan couldn't make Bats look good in fist fights. It also bothered me no-end that Gotham went from an interesting design in Begins to generic city shots in the following films.

Ultron had so much wasted potential in AoU. He could have easily curbstomped all of the Avengers during the final fight but instead chose to pick on Vision and Thor only

Agreed. I was thinking Ultron would be best Marvel villain but he was very disappointing to me.

TDK is great, but it's riddled with nonsense.

-Joker's bank heist involves crashing a school bus into a bank wall in broad daylight and he gets away scot free.
-Bat-voice.
-The previously mentioned finger-print on a bullet. Doesn't work like that.
-Joker's police station escape involves detonating a bomb which will knock out everyone in the building, barring himself of course... for some reason.
-Bat-voice.
-Gordon fakes his own death for no reason, and somehow manages to fool people despite the heavily corrupted police force he works with.
-Joker manages to rig an entire hospital with explosives, along with bridges and boats and all sorts without detection.
-Bat-voice.
-"5 Dead. 2 of them cops." Still don't know who Gordon is refering to.
-While Batman's sacrifice of image at the end is totally in-character, I still see no reason for Batman to take the blame for a few deaths when the obvious candidate is the Joker.

... To name a few. The action is kind of crappy. Nolan couldn't make Bats look good in fist fights. It also bothered me no-end that Gotham went from an interesting design in Begins to generic city shots in the following films.

Disagreed. Crashing bus in wall in daylight is not nonsense. Real robberies have happened where vehicle crashes through wall and robber escapes. You say Bat voice three times but I like Bale bat voice. Joker bend down when explosion of Police station went off. He not get his by explosion blast. You not see how Joker rig hospital or boats with bombs so you can't say it silly. It very possible to rig hospitals or boats to explode. Gordon fake death to protect family. Batman take blame because he not going to pin murders on someone else. Batman not like that to frame people.

I could believe it. That shield wasn't there for him when he had and was nothing, Bucky was.

Sure, that makes sense, but Cap could have easily made the same point by tossing the shield aside rather than completely discarding it. Even if we accept that he might have let Bucky kill him rather than fight a friend, shouldn't Cap have been *just a wee bit concerned* about someone from HYDRA getting their hands on vibranium?

Disagreed. Crashing bus in wall in daylight is not nonsense. Real robberies have happened where vehicle crashes through wall and robber escapes. You say Bat voice three times but I like Bale bat voice. Joker bend down when explosion of Police station went off. He not get his by explosion blast. You not see how Joker rig hospital or boats with bombs so you can't say it silly. It very possible to rig hospitals or boats to explode. Gordon fake death to protect family. Batman take blame because he not going to pin murders on someone else. Batman not like that to frame people.

I have to agree with the first poster. The Joker is driving away in very slowly moving traffic, in a school buss riddled with dust and debris. That alone should make it very difficult since he's certainly not blending in and the cops should be looking for suspicious activity when approaching the scene of a recent bank robbery. Then when the cops see the school bus sized hole in the construction area and the dusty getaway bus still hasn't really gotten anywhere it should be a lock. They could catch him by jogging.

I think that in order to enjoy the movie you just have to accept that the Gotham police force is incompetent throughout the movie. Without that, and a big portion of pure luck, the Joker's plans won't work. Especially with the gritty feel of the movie. I firmly believe that and still can enjoy the Joker as the best part.

Last edited:
The Dark Knight
  • The fall from a height. Batman 1989 did it much better, the way Bruce grabbed Rachel and they continued falling from the penthouse of a building probably higher than the church from the first Burton film to a car hood below and neither one got hurt is weird.
  • Joker and gang just leaving the penthouse party like that.
  • As mentioned before; the bullet construction effect.
  • Joker's gang catching Rachel and Harvey very very shortly after Bruce saved Harvey.
  • Dogs can bite through a bullet proof armor and pierce it, you really see Harvey shoot Batman from a close distance, and nothing happens to his armor, dogs bit the older harder armor with no flexible joints and bit through it.
  • The hero Gotham deserves, not the one it needs. Not a fan of that saying.
  • I still don't know if Batman says hockey pads or hockey pants.

Batman (1989):
  • "You wanna get nuts, let's get nuts." moment is stupid.
  • Vicki Vale allowed access to the batcave, and I don't mean that moment after the batmobile ride.

Batman & Robin (don't panic, there is a completely rational explanation for this, like me loving majority of CBMs. I think it's rational):
  • Focus on every part of Batman and Robin's outfits when they dress up.
  • Rubber lip is enough to stop poison from killing Robin, it's kind of funny, but stupid.
  • Barbra is not Gordon.
  • Alf giving Barbra access to the Batcave, and gadgets, and an outfit.
  • Bane is stupid and cannot talk.

The Incredible Hulk:
  • The lack of Rick Jones in yet another live action adaption of the Hulk. C'mon guys, give me the best supporting character ever introduced on pages in live action, this is long overdue.
  • Leonard calling Betty's father, but then telling him he sees why Betty never spoke of him. WHY?
  • Bruce swallows the flash disc and then barfs it undamaged. I'm only upset cause I don't have something like that in real life.

The Phantom (sorry Rows):
  • What exactly made Zeta's character join the Phantom?
  • Xander bragging about the skull powers when he was obviously losing.
  • Xander's microscope gouging the librarian's eyes for lying, about I don't know what.

Can't remember if I mentioned it but...

- Superman turning back time at the end, by flying around the world really, really fast (even as an 8 year old I thought that was dumb). Given the subject mater, only an ounce more of creativity was required to set up an emotional ending, without this ridiculous application of deus ex machina.
Even if Superman simpy flew fast enough to travel back in time himself, I could live with that, but the way it was done was stupid. Otherwise, I love that movie.

- laziness at the end of Superman II, in explaining the fate of the kryptonian villains, one or two lines of dialogue would have sufficed.
( I've seen the deleted scene with the Arctic police, but the cinematic film should have explained it).
-
In Batman '89, the Joker shooting down the Bat-jet with a pistol. That was beyond dumb, and again with an ounce of creativty, completely avoidable. Otherwise, '89 was magnificent !

Last edited:
Can't remember if I mentioned it but...

- Superman turning back time at the end, by flying around the world really, really fast (even as an 8 year old I thought that was dumb). Given the subject mater, only an ounce more of creativity was required to set up an emotional ending, without this ridiculous application of deus ex machina.
Even if Superman simpy flew fast enough to travel back in time himself, I could live with that, but the way it was done was stupid. Otherwise, I love that movie.

- laziness at the end of Superman II, in explaining the fate of the kryptonian villains, one or two lines of dialogue would have sufficed.
( I've seen the deleted scene with the Arctic police, but the cinematic film should have explained it).
-
In Batman '89, the Joker shooting down the Bat-jet with a pistol. That was beyond dumb, and again with an ounce of creativty, completely avoidable. Otherwise, '89 was magnificent !
As you like to say:
Cheers, dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"