Things You Didn't Like in Comic Book Films You Loved

Superman The Movie: The movie drops off a bit in quality after the Superman/Lois Interview.

X2: Cyclops' lack of significant screentime, Cyclops getting the Worf treatment in his Deathstrike "fight"

Batman Begins: The Choppy fight scenes

The Dark Knight Rises: The disappointing portrayal of Talia Al Ghul, How Blake knew Bruce was Batman

Superman beats the crud out of a Diner Patron who'd humiliated him after ge gave up his powers in Superman II.

I wouldn't say that, he was still in X1 quite a lot and had some important scenes, like his promise to Xavier that he would take care of the X-Men if Xavier didn't come out of his coma. And his contribution in the final battle.

He should have been in X2 more though. In fairness to Singer, I think he did plan on Cyclops having a big role in his X3. But then Ratner and Rothman ruined that in their X3.

Wouldn't have been an option if Singer hadn't confused boy scout with p****. There was no reason why Toad should have beaten Cyclops meanwhile wolverine gets to competently fight both Mystique and Sabertooth. Its worse that Cyke is taken out so easily by Deathstrike and that Marsden had to convince Singer to even let him fight. Had singer let Scott be a badass boy scout and not just some stick in the mud people would have liked him more and killing him off in x3 wouldn't have been an option.

Yeah, Cyclops unfortunately only plays the annoying little good boy so the cool and edgy Wolverine has someone to look good against. I'd say that if he had been used well in the first two movies his death would actually have been better since it would be emotional in the right way since a good character dies, rather than a poorly used character dies in a bad way before he got to do something cool.

In fairness to Singer, Fox were a lot more ruthless in those days and apparently pushed for Wolverine to be centre stage in all the movies and didn't like Cyclops.

I like that at least Jean still chose Scott over Wolverine in the movie though. And Singer was going to give Scott a bigger role in his X3.

X2: Cyclops' mishandling
Spider-Man 2: Dunst's MJ
Batman Begins : the action
First Class: Angel Salvadore
Avengers: cap's costume
DoFP :no Wolverine vs Sentinel
AoU: Pietro's Death

Yeah, I hated the way Cyclops was handled in those movies. They made him a boy band fan? Seriously? Maybe this new film will treat him better, but it's Singer at the helm, so probably not.

In fairness to Singer, Fox were a lot more ruthless in those days and apparently pushed for Wolverine to be centre stage in all the movies and didn't like Cyclops.

I like that at least Jean still chose Scott over Wolverine in the movie though. And Singer was going to give Scott a bigger role in his X3.

You can cut Singer all the slack you want but he is just as responsible. Even if Fox wanted to push Wolverine Singer could have still done more with Cyclops. Like I said there is no reason why Deathstrike and Toad should have taken out Cyclops so easily. And the fact that Singer wasn't even going to let cyclops fight in the Deathstrike scene is just nuts.

Yeah, even if Fox pushed Singer to give Wolverine maximum screentime, I doubt they said, "make Cyclops a wuss who listens to NSync and always gets taken out immediately."

Fox are still ruthless.:hehe:

Only with FF. With other franchises they seem to give directors a lot of freedom.

You can cut Singer all the slack you want but he is just as responsible. Even if Fox wanted to push Wolverine Singer could have still done more with Cyclops. Like I said there is no reason why Deathstrike and Toad should have taken out Cyclops so easily. And the fact that Singer wasn't even going to let cyclops fight in the Deathstrike scene is just nuts.

Singer wanted Cyke to have a big part in his X3, and in fairness with X1 it was his first action movie and a different time for CBMs. The action in X1 in general was not very good. With CBMs being very different today you can see Singers movies differing.

I think people forget what the climate was for CBMs back in 2000, they were generally considered a joke and X1 and Singers take on it was a big reason CBMs started becoming respectful again. Even in 2003 when X2 came out they were not what they are today.

I think with Apocalypse Singer will address Cyke's lack of screen time in the previous trilogy.

Avengers Age of Ultron: The pacing is a bit off. I think they needed a slightly longer running time to help smooth out some of the transitions and make it all feel a little less choppy. And they could've at least started by axing Nick Fury's farmhouse speech - that character literally had no good reason to be in that sequence at all.

X-Men 2: Killing off Lady Deathstrike without giving her a single line.

Amazing Spiderman - I don't know exactly why, but Dr. Connors just didn't quite work for me.

Man of Steel: Clark letting his Dad die, even though he refuses to listen basically every other time his dad tells him not to save people and continues to save people even after letting his dad die... Also, I don't care how much you love the family dog, if it's too dumb to get out of the car with everyone else while a tornado is coming, you go to the underpass and mourn it later. You don't run back into a tornado to save a dog. Also - did anyone actually check what those spaceship designs looked like before putting them on film?

Avengers - No earpieces. Also, kind of an easy out with the sudden introduction of the handy dandy override mode.

X-Men DoFP - The happy future is a bit weird. Either it undercuts the drama of everything between 73 and 2020ish, or it will quickly be disregarded or retconned out of existence, in which case, why bother? Also, the magical serum was kind of off - why should a serum designed to repress mutant powers be able to repair spinal damage? And why would the effects just disappear so easily afterwards?

Iron Man - Obadiah Stane

Captain America - Peggy fires a loaded gun indoors at an untested shield because she's jealous.

The Dark Knight Rises - A man with no superpowers can magically heal his broken back in less than 3 months with almost no medical help. Also, an organization dedicated to destroying corrupt places like Gotham City instead helpfully waits 3 months for Batman to heal before actually trying to destroy the city.

Yeah, I hated the way Cyclops was handled in those movies. They made him a boy band fan? Seriously? Maybe this new film will treat him better, but it's Singer at the helm, so probably not.

Just keep Wolverine away. XD

Age of Ultron: the titular villain was as rushed as it gets. I wasn't pleased with how he came about with little to no explanation.

Yeah, I really liked Ultron but it was weird how he was just sort of "born" and began talking to Jarvis.

Only with FF. With other franchises they seem to give directors a lot of freedom.

Singer wanted Cyke to have a big part in his X3, and in fairness with X1 it was his first action movie and a different time for CBMs. The action in X1 in general was not very good. With CBMs being very different today you can see Singers movies differing.

I think people forget what the climate was for CBMs back in 2000, they were generally considered a joke and X1 and Singers take on it was a big reason CBMs started becoming respectful again. Even in 2003 when X2 came out they were not what they are today.

I think with Apocalypse Singer will address Cyke's lack of screen time in the previous trilogy.

Yet again nothing but excuses. Singer could have given cyclops an action scene especially when he gave wolverine two decent ones with mystique and Sabertooth. And there is even less of an excuse for the lack of imagination in cyclops' fight scene with the guards/deathstrike in X2. The fact that Marsden had to convince singer to let him fight is crazy. Singer made Cyclops out to be an unrelatable stick in the mud who was basically cock blocking wolverine. His supposed plans for cyclops in x3 matter not because he chose not to direct it. Singer wanted the audience to like wolverine over cyclops and used things like logan stealing his rides, Logan flirting with and kissing his girl, Logan not listening/liking him "you're a dick", and even the planned danger room sequence where Logan was to out do cyclops' score to get that across. I remember the state of comic book movies just fine and singer still gets no pass for his lack of action/imagination.

X2- They cut away from Magneto, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Jean attacking a military base.. are you f'in serious

Dark Knight- Overly long in spots, poor fight choreography, not enough detective work (could describe the whole trilogy)

Avengers- plot felt convenient at times, mindless drone final fight (that one also applies to AoU)

Cap: TWS- Would've preferred a quieter battle between Cap and Bucky at the end, not overwhelmed by exploding s*** (I still like the third act overall tho)

X2- They cut away from Magneto, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Jean attacking a military base.. are you f'in serious

Well you know Singer thought it best to leave it to your imagination. I would also say that the mansion raid scene was weak. You have all those kids who are scared and powerful it should have played out like a horror scene with some of the just losing control. Xavier even says "I feel a great swell of pity for the poor soul who comes to that mansion looking for trouble".

It should be noted that X2 is one of my favorite Super Hero films but I have many problems with it.

I wonder if the detective aspect of Batman will always be downplayed because it bogs down the brisk narrative a summer blockbuster should have.

I would love to see a moderately budgeted, low key, slow paced Batman movie that is far less grandiose in scale and far more personal, where Batman saves the day mostly doing detective work.

The Dark Knight - the boat scene, no need for it and it dragged the movie on

Man of Steel - Pa Kent's death, not necessarily the way he died (in a tornado would have been fine) but the way it's edited there was plenty of time for Clark to help him.

Captain America: The First Avenger - Montage of Caps saves, loved the montage itself but we didn't see enough if WWIII Cap. I'd rather they'd have given us an extra moment of Cap fighting in the war and lost the end scene (which lets face it could have been a post credits scene)

Man of Steel: Clark letting his Dad die, even though he refuses to listen basically every other time his dad tells him not to save people and continues to save people even after letting his dad die... Also, I don't care how much you love the family dog, if it's too dumb to get out of the car with everyone else while a tornado is coming, you go to the underpass and mourn it later. You don't run back into a tornado to save a dog. Also - did anyone actually check what those spaceship designs looked like before putting them on film?

Out if curiosity do you have a dog? I do and if he was stuck in a car during a tornado I would run back to save him.

As I said above though kind of agree on the death although my problem was more in the editing. I would gave preferred that maybe Clark had been off elsewhere in Smallville and didn't have time to save his Dad. I still think that would have gotten the 'have to wait' message across as he would feel guilt over his father dying.

You mean the *****s? :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"