• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Transformers This is how transformers should have been approached

ragdus said:
A caterpillar become a butterfly via metamorphosis. Optimus prime become a semi by transforming. I hope the difference is pretty clear...
a caterpillar also transforms into a butterfly.

CFlash said:
No one said they did. But they also don't have the same definitions. Neither does transform and metamorphose... which is your contention. In other words they are NOT the same. Sheesh didn't you ever watch Sesame Street.
you seem to think that an object cannot be markedly different while being wholly different at the same time, which means you're stupid.

anyways the script says MORPH not metamorphose, and the definition of morph is transform. so don't try to argue this with me, go try to argue this with Webster's dictionary.

Tad Fatherton said:
you seem to think that an object cannot be markedly different while being wholly different at the same time, which means you're stupid.

anyways the script says MORPH not metamorphose, and the definition of morph is transform. so don't try to argue this with me, go try to argue this with Webster's dictionary.

OK... forget that morph is short for metamorphose (as Webter's states BTW). The definition you're referring to, which does contain the word transform (so what?), qualifies the definition by saying "especially by means of computer-generated animation." If you'd been around long enough you'd know that this is referring to when MORPH first went into popular usage after stuff like the Michael Jackson B&W video.

Everyone else here gets it (as all the posts above show).

So yes, you're right- and you've proved MY point. The script says MORPH-- as in the kind referred to by WEBSTER's dictionary, which is not what TRANSFORMERS do.

LOL. This is just too much fun.

so, what you're saying is that transformers don't transform?

go write a letter to webster's

This conversation has to stop or kitty is going to do something drastic...

629_image.jpg

CFlash said:
The definition you're referring to, which does contain the word transform (so what?)

haha, the definition doesn't just contain the word transform, the definition IS transform

Tad Fatherton said:
haha, the definition doesn't just contain the word transform, the definition IS transform

No. The definition is: "(Etymology: Short for Metamorphose). To undergo transformation; especially... by means of computer-generated animation." And if you were a bit more worldly you'd know what that's referring to (the morphing that the rest of us recognize).

All mean to change. In this context and in the script they have different CONNOTATIONS. The script uses morph to describe some things (like when Bumblebee reformats itself) and transform to describe others (like when they actually "transform" from robots to cars). Again, the writers are aware of the difference. As is the rest of the English speaking world.

Your homework assignment for the weekend: lookup morpheme and amorphous.

CFlash, quit arguing with the guy. He obviously HAS to be right so let him be right. He obviously can't grasp the idea that TV shows or comics that become as large as Transformers (or Star Trek, Star Wars and the like) they develop their own "language" that may still use words from the english language but may slightly different meanings in the show/comic. If its a sci fi show then it is going to be based on fiction...meaning the rules can be bent when it comes to what these words mean in real life.

Tad, if you are taking the literal use of the word transform then you have a point. But in the show/comic they never used the word morph...so to say they morph sounds more organic, for lack of a better word. Everything we're talking about here is based off of the Transformers genre...not an english course. After all, the show is not called "Morphers".

.....we really are arguing the difference between Morphing and Transforming???

roach said:
.....we really are arguing the difference between Morphing and Transforming???
Sadly, they are.:csad:

Like that is the most ridiculous thing you've ever seen on SHH. People argue about underwear on superheroes...

that is true...However as a person who has studied screenwriting and aspires to be one the usage of the word "morph" shouldnt alarm anyone because....
1) The SFX team/director determine the method of transformation
2) Screenwriters generally dont like to use the same word over and over again...so Morph may have been used in place of Transform. I havent read the script so I dont know but this could be possible

roach said:
that is true...However as a person who has studied screenwriting and aspires to be one the usage of the word "morph" shouldnt alarm anyone because....
1) The SFX team/director determine the method of transformation
2) Screenwriters generally dont like to use the same word over and over again...so Morph may have been used in place of Transform. I havent read the script so I dont know but this could be possible

Good points but let me ask you this. do screenwriters normally research the material they are adapting? Because if so then they would see that morphing (as a popular definition) is not what the Transformers do...but to each his own.

nosebleed said:
Good points but let me ask you this. do screenwriters normally research the material they are adapting? Because if so then they would see that morphing (as a popular definition) is not what the Transformers do...but to each his own.

from the Yahoo cast they said they were fans...

Look at it like this....If they wrote transform everytime one of the robots transformed then they'd look like amatures. It would be like in High School english where the teacher would write "find another word for Transform..you used it already too much"

roach said:
from the Yahoo cast they said they were fans...

Look at it like this....If they wrote transform everytime one of the robots transformed then they'd look like amatures. It would be like in High School english where the teacher would write "find another word for Transform..you used it already too much"

In the script, it doesn't seem that they use "morph" as a synonym for "transform."
They use "morph" ONLY in key places where it's obvious what they mean. From what I remember it is ONLY used when Bumblebee converts himself into a newer model and when a gun appears out of nowhere in one of the robots arms (I forget who... Optimus, I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"