Thor: Love and Thunder | Official News and Speculation Thread

hopefully between her own little renaissance and Taika's considerable talents, maybe she'll actually try this time

I loved Portman back in the day, but Comedy, Sci-Fi, and Fantasy are clearly not her comfort zones

I thought Nat did a nice job in Annihilation.

I'm wondering if she just has trouble bringing the goods when she's not the center of attention and relegated to a girlfriend role. Putting a hammer in her hand might do the trick.

Cool! Can’t wait to see what she comes up with

Don’t know her work but looking at one of her credits on IMDB is kind of easy to understand why she was drafted to the project.

Synopsis of her work in “Someone Great”.
After a devastating break up on the eve of her cross-country move, Jenny enjoys one last NYC adventure with her two best pals. Someone Great is a romantic comedy about love, loss, growth and the everlasting bond of female friendship.

Don’t know her work but looking at one of her credits on IMDB is kind of easy to understand why she was drafted to the project.

Synopsis of her work in “Someone Great”.

"After a devastating break up on the eve of her cross-dimensional move, Jane Foster enjoys one last Asgardian adventure with her two best pals, Korg and Valkyrie. Thor: Love and Thunder is a romantic comedy about love, loss, growth and the everlasting bond of Asgardian friendship."

Sound legit?

"After a devastating break up on the eve of her cross-dimensional move, Jane Foster enjoys one last Asgardian adventure with her two best pals, Korg and Valkyrie. Thor: Love and Thunder is a romantic comedy about love, loss, growth and the everlasting bond of Asgardian friendship."

Sound legit?
Replace Jane with Thor and it might not be that far off.

Never heard of her before. I looked her up on Wikipedia. It looks like someone just made an entry for her, or rather a stub. It says she's also an actress but what has she acted in?

Wait... I thought the script was locked in?

I don’t think she was just a good scenery chewing villain. I mean she’s the goddess of death, there’s tons you can do there. Look what writers like Neil gaiman and Terry Pratchett have done with the concept of death as a person

Tons that could be done (Especially given that origin they gave her...)

Aaaaaand... NOTHING was done. There is no there "there".

Tell me you liked Hela cuz she was a fun but two dimensional mustache twirler... Fine.

Tell me you liked Hela because of any actual development, depth or interesting characterization and... Sorry, gonna have to disagree there by a lot. Hela in TR is a Saturday morning cartoon villain that happens to be played by a world class talent that can make reading a take out menu sound awesome... But ultimately you are still just hearing the content of a take out menu.

Tell me you liked Hela cuz she was a fun but two dimensional mustache twirler... Fine.

Tell me you liked Hela because of any actual development, depth or interesting characterization and... Sorry, gonna have to disagree there by a lot. Hela in TR is a Saturday morning cartoon villain that happens to be played by a world class talent that can make reading a take out menu sound awesome... But ultimately you are still just hearing the content of a take out menu.

I agree, but I still loved her as a two-dimensional mustache twirler: don’t get me wrong, I love well-rounded characters, but I love campy, eccentric characters just as much. I hope we see Hela again in the MCU, preferably as the Las Vegas nightclub hostess she became briefly in the comics, because just...yes to all of that.

Btw, I watched “Someone Great” on Netflix today. It’s fine. If that’s the vibe they’re going for with Valkyrie’s character (and specifically her romantic angle), then that’ll be fun. But it’s certainly not the tone I’d expect from a Thor movie, so I’m interested to see what Taika has in mind.

Is this just a long way of asking was Cate Blanchett a good Hela or is she just tall?

Is this just a long way of asking was Cate Blanchett a good Hela or is she just tall?

It's a way of saying that unlike others I have zero desire to see Hela again as regardless if the actress playing her is great, what was done with her before was so boilerplate and a terrible missed opportunity given the inherent dramatic dramatic weight they decided to saddle her backstory with. And as you stated before she is also a deity of death... Which in TR came down to "I kill a lot and this allows me to have a giant army of zombie mooks..." and really nothing else.

I get it... She was "*****y, Catty, Fab" what have you... But being *****y, catty and fab isn't characterization... Those are poses.

I would love to have Hela back. Cate Blanchett let the door open for her return providing Marvel wanted her back. If not now maybe in a post credit scene in TLT teasing something for Thor 5. And yes I want a T5. :D

Wait... I thought the script was locked in?
There was a rumor a while back floating around that the script was done but Taika actually joked with it saying that those news even surprised him.

I think the pitch was made a long time ago but the script itself is still being worked on. They start filming in 5 months so they have time to whip it into shape.

Ragnarok had 4/5 writers. 2 weren’t even credited in the end. Also these movies even sometimes during filming go through rewrites, just like Ragnarok... Having said that the best thing is to have pretty much everything set in stone before filming and then they can improvise a bit around the lines of the script, like Taika normally does.

There’s so much excitement about the Natalie Portman of it all in the next “Thor.” How closely are you going to hew to the comics? Is her character Jane Foster going to have cancer in it?
We don’t know. That comics run was a big inspiration, and was an influence on the first few drafts. But at Marvel, we always change everything. I could say one thing right now, and in two years, it will be the complete opposite — or that thing won’t exist. We continue writing even in post-production.

Based on what Marvel wants?
Based on what the audience wants. We test the film. We shot for two weeks on “Thor” with our pickups. There were huge, huge character changes, huge story changes. We reshot entire scenes. I think that’s why they do good work. They’re relentless in their pursuit of just a good movie.

You don’t mind doing reshoots?
I’ve done reshoots on every single movie I’ve done. I actually build it into my budgets. I like reshoots. No shame about going and fixing it.

Would you like for Tessa Thompson’s Valkyrie to be explicitly queer in this next movie?
I think so. The IP is not mine. But with the actors, I feel whatever makes them comfortable — whether they feel like there’s a natural choice, or a natural way for that character to go — then I’m pretty supportive. If Tessa wanted to do that, I’m in.

Taika Waititi on Oscars, His ‘Jojo Rabbit’ Journey and Those ‘Star Wars’ Rumors

Reactions: Bim
The cancer angle is such a big deal i guess they probably don't want to draw to much attention to it in order to kind of minimize the spoilery subject.

The cancer angle is such a big deal i guess they probably don't want to draw to much attention to it in order to kind of minimize the spoilery subject.

He can’t give away anything at this point that they haven’t talked about at SDCC last year, so he answered the first question instead of the followup question. It’s pretty clear when you read the original interview but of course clickbait sites went with “they are deleting the cancer story!!!!!!!”...like come on.

If they got rid of the cancer angle, there's literally no reason to do this story

if they just want a female Thor, they'd be better off with Valkyrie as she has heat right now from Ragnarok, whereas nobody cared about Jane... (similar to the comics I suppose, where nobody cared about Jane when Aaron started the story either)

So I'm fairly positive it will be present

I'd like to believe that the Jane slowly dying via disease aspect would be kept... In all honesty though the MCU has often decided to side step material even attempting that kind of depth.

And frankly, Taika in TR didn't give much weight to elements in the story that kinda demanded way more focus and attention as by any reasoning those elements should have gigantic impact on our titular character.

So... Trust but verify as the saying goes.

What I think is most likely to happen is that they'll have Jane's cancer be caused by her exposure to and possession by the Aether in TDW.

If they want her to be suffering from something that certainly makes sense.

I doubt, though, that they'll kill her and bring her right back like in the comics
my bet is she just gets cured at the end

and I also don't think they'll get into the whole "being Thor is killing her" thing
might not be enough time to really explore that idea in one movie
she'll prob be sick at the beginning, become Thor, and recover by the end

I have no clube how reliable this person is so take it with a sizable grain of salt.
Thor: Love and Thunder may shoot some scenes in Vancouver, British Columbia, aka Hollywood North.

Looking at the landscapes there i could see it being used as a replacement for Norway(New Asgard's location in the MCU).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"