Thor's Alive!!

TheCorpulent1 said:
Well, part of the point of Oeming's "Ragnarok" story, I think, was to free future Thor writers from the mythology hanging over them for so long. They'd had several different Ragnaroks in the comics already, to the point where the comics really didn't make any sense whatsoever when compared to the mythology. Having those Ragnaroks as parts of some grand game by Those Who Sit Above in Shadow was a pretty brilliant move on Oeming's part, and it frees future Thor stories from having to conform to the myths as much as the earlier ones did.

As for Thor creating a new race of gods, while that would be cool, I guess, I'd prefer them to bring back the mainstays of the old Asgard, at the very least, if they're going to bring Asgardians back at all. That means Sif, Hogun, Fandral, Volstagg, Balder, Brunnhilde, Heimdall, Loki, Karnilla and the Norns, and maybe Thialfi. But it'd be a bit strange if Thor decided to create new gods, since the point of his destroying Asgard was to give the gods a final end and let them rest in peace. I think if they came back it'd have to be by the actions of someone other than Thor.

I can see your point but how can thor exist if Asgard does not, and if it does should it not be populated?

I really cannot see the appeal of Thor .... There is too much Shakespearian english and not enough 'powerhouse' action .... I mean when was the last time Classic Thor seemed impressive ? .... The concept of Jack Kibys Eternals and the 'Hyper Soldier' Sentry as marvels 'powerhouse' characters is far more intriguing IMO :)

yahman said:
I really cannot see the appeal of Thor .... There is too much Shakespearian english and not enough 'powerhouse' action .... I mean when was the last time Classic Thor seemed impressive ? .... The concept of Jack Kibys Eternals and the 'Hyper Soldier' Sentry as marvels 'powerhouse' characters is far more intriguing IMO :)

Thor didn't even have the Shakespearean English when he was first introduced...

What happened to thor's hammer? I'll be glad he's back. I don't think though he needs a human body. he should be one of the only cosmic comics and his only earth interaction should be in limited use to the avengers. Oh and i think he should have odinforce and blind since he plucked out both eyes.

Ahura Mazda said:
I can see your point but how can thor exist if Asgard does not, and if it does should it not be populated?

If Thor exists, then Asgard can be remade - remember Thor 301, when Thor went round the pantheons gathering energy to restore Asgard. He only had 24 hours but..... He was Odins equal this time so.......

- Whirly

Thor needs a human guise. It keeps him grounded for those people who don't like cosmic stories all the time.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Yeah, because Simonson's entire run was just trash. Not even worth mentioning, really.

You are mad. Some of the best Thor I have ever read.

By the way, I haven't read it yet but your comic rocks after only a quick glance.

KAD said:

By the way, I haven't read it yet but your comic rooks after only a quick glance.

I think he was being sarcastic! Simonson's Run was the best it IS the REASON why I started to read comics!!! I say bring Walt Simonson back as writer with Andreas Devito as penciller and Christos Eliopouluos as Letterer for a 18 month min run!!!!!

herakles said:
I think he was being sarcastic! Simonson's Run was the best it IS the REASON why I started to read comics!!! I say bring Walt Simonson back as writer with Andreas Devito as penciller and Christos Eliopouluos as Letterer for a 18 month min run!!!!!

I far preffered Roy Thomas's stuff, but then i'm old.

- Whirly

Whirlysplat said:
I far preffered Roy Thomas's stuff, but then i'm old.

- Whirly

When was this period ? ....

To any Thor fans out there, what era / writer was Thor is potrayed at his most powerful ????

E.G. Pre Crisis Superman during the 60's and 70's was probably more powerful he ever became, and Gladiator under Byrne seemed a level beyond other versions.

yahman said:
When was this period ? ....

To any Thor fans out there, what era / writer was Thor is potrayed at his most powerful ????

E.G. Pre Crisis Superman during the 60's and 70's was probably more powerful he ever became, and Gladiator under Byrne seemed a level beyond other versions.

Roy Thomas was late seventies early eighties Yahman, in those days Thor was truly the "God of Thunder".

Most Powerful is the recent Rune King Thor stuff.

- Whirly

Whirlysplat said:
Roy Thomas was late seventies early eighties Yahman, in those days Thor was truly the "God of Thunder".

Most Powerful is the recent Rune King Thor stuff.

- Whirly

Was he an Avenger during this period and would you say he was comparable with KAL el of the time ?????

Cheers for replying mate .... its like being the new kid at school again !

E.G. you have to piss them off to get a response !

yahman said:
Was he an Avenger during this period and would you say he was comparable with KAL el of the time ?????

Cheers for replying mate .... its like being the new kid at school again !

E.G. you have to piss them off to get a response !

lol I got a message from the admin yesterday - nothing changes

Yes he was an Avenger at this point in fact it was some of his greatest Avengers stories, Graviton, Nefaria, Micael (Korvac) The Enemy,Ultron, Jocasta and the Oedipus complex. It was a great time.

No he was not on pre crisis Supes level in my opinion. Marvel was less powerful overall, this was pre the stupid upgrades. Few cosmics existed by comparison. Thor had no "God blast", he had dimensional powers though.

- Whirly

Whirlysplat said:
lol I got a message from the admin yesterday - nothing changes

Yes he was an Avenger at this point in fact it was some of his greatest Avengers stories, Graviton, Nefaria, Micael (Korvac) The Enemy,Ultron, Jocasta and the Oedipus complex. It was a great time.

No he was not on pre crisis Supes level in my opinion. Marvel was less powerful overall, this was pre the stupid upgrades. Few cosmics existed by comparison. Thor had no "God blast", he had dimensional powers though.

- Whirly

You wouldn't be referring to secondary mutations by any chance ?????

Or Kabbblahhhhhhhhhh ????

He wasn't that strong during that period .... e.g. Skyscrapers where a problem for him, as where million ton islands !

Graviton and Nefaria where great bad guys, although they had stupid costumes !

Graviton could do with a serious revamp IMO .... he could become the Avengers alternative to Magneto. With gravitokinessis one has a host of unexplored powers that could be used including Dimensional powers and the slowing down of time.

yahman said:
You wouldn't be referring to secondary mutations by any chance ?????

Or Kabbblahhhhhhhhhh ????

He wasn't that strong during that period .... e.g. Skyscrapers where a problem for him, as where million ton islands !

Graviton and Nefaria where great bad guys, although they had stupid costumes !

Graviton could do with a serious revamp IMO .... he could become the Avengers alternative to Magneto. With gravitokinessis one has a host of unexplored powers that could be used including Dimensional powers and the slowing down of time.

Yes all that crap and more.

Gravitons sex drive has always been his motivation Yahs, there was a Thor issue where Graviton took over a department store in order to try and get some *****.

- Whirly

Whirlysplat said:
Yes all that crap and more.

Gravitons sex drive has always been his motivation Yahs, there was a Thor issue where Graviton took over a department store in order to try and get some *****.

- Whirly

I use to have a mate who used to regular ***** in a department store .... its not the same is it ?

yahman said:
I use to have a mate who used to regular ***** in a department store .... its not the same is it ?

I don't think so :)

- Whirly

TheCorpulent1 said:
Yeah, and everything Millar said about his take sounded awful. I'm glad it never came to pass.[/quote
]? What type of take was he going to do?

He wanted to get rid of Thor completely, then have a kid find Mjolnir in Iowa and gain Thor's powers. Frankly, I don't care about mortal forms or tying Thor to Earth or whatever, but if "Thor" isn't actually Thor, I don't see a point in reading the comic. Part of the reason I love Thor is that, in the Marvel universe, he is actually the Thor of myth.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Part of the reason I love Thor is that, in the Marvel universe, he is actually the Thor of myth.

The Thor of myth had red hair and beard. :mad:

euroq said:
The Thor of myth had red hair and beard. :mad:
Marvel explained away all the inconsistencies by saying the myths got stuff wrong. One of the best ideas the Thor creators ever had, really. History's gotten mundane old mortal stuff wrong time and time again, after all, so it's no surprise the verbally transmitted myths of the ancient Norsemen got a few details about the gods wrong. :p
KAD said:

By the way, I haven't read it yet but your comic rocks after only a quick glance.
Thanks. I have a couple of Thor homages in there, too. :)

I was being sarcastic about the Simonson stuff. Whirlysplat wrote all of Thor's comics after he lost the Don Blake identity off as crappy, so I got sarcastic. Simonson's run is one of my favorites, along with Jurgens'. I liked the Thomas stuff, too, but I don't think it was as good as Simonson's run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"