Thread of the Tomb Raider

A bump for the thread. I have been playing the new trilogy for a month or so now, nearly done with Shadow of the Tomb Raider but today they dropped a 24+ gb update that basically "rebuilds the game."

That's one hell of an update.
Can you tell me what you feel is different?

Wow. That's huge at this stage.

It's the Definitive Edition patch...

Waiting to see the price tag on it next month during the holiday sale.

Wow. That's huge at this stage.
I thought this game was pretty much dead at this point. It's even more odd considering it was afaik a financial disappointment.

So far nothing feels all that different. No graphical changes, nothing feels like it loads faster or slower and mechanically it is all the same. I can't find the patch notes now. The only site that lists them is giving my antivirus a dodgy warning.

It sold okay but not well enough for SquareEnix from what I have seen. I think otherwise it might have been a release but it got crammed in with Spider-Man and Red Dead Redemption 2. Tough competition.

I was able to find this from back in the middle of October:

https://tombraider.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-definitive-edition

We're pleased to announce that Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will release digitally and at retailers in select countries on November 5, 2019 for the Xbox One family of devices, including Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 system, and Windows PC/Steam, with the Stadia version launching with the platform later in November.

Featuring the base game and all seven post-launch DLC, the bundle gives players the chance to experience the final chapter of Lara Croft’s origin story with every challenge tomb, downloadable weapon, outfit and skill.

Watch the full Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition Trailer.

Q: What is Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition?

A: Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition includes all available content to date. Experience Shadow of the Tomb Raider featuring the final chapter of Lara Croft’s origin story, the Season Pass containing multiple challenge tombs, missions, weapons, and outfits, Croft Edition bonuses, the all-new Definitive Edition “Croft Fitness” outfit, and additional gameplay adjustments.

Q: When will Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition be available?

A: Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will be available November 5th, 2019 for the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox One X, PlayStation 4, and Windows PC/Steam, with the Stadia version launching in later November.

Q: What if I already own the Season Pass?

A: Anyone who already owns Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Season Pass will be automatically upgraded to Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition free of charge on November 5th. Users will need to manually download the update on their respective platform store (Xbox Live, PSN, or Steam).

Q: What if I only own Shadow of the Tomb Raider?

A: After November 5th, players will be able upgrade Shadow of the Tomb Raider to Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition by purchasing the Definitive Edition Extra Content bundle which will replace the Season Pass.

I thought this game was pretty much dead at this point. It's even more odd considering it was afaik a financial disappointment.
I’m trying to think of how this could make sense.

Cant believe I slept on Shadow. Thought Id give it a try since I had a free gamepass. I wished the trilogy started with this instead of what we got.

Cant believe I slept on Shadow. Thought Id give it a try since I had a free gamepass. I wished the trilogy started with this instead of what we got.

Really? I thought the first game was super fun. I'm still a few hours away from completing the second one but I really like that one as well.

Tomb Raider 2013 - 8.5/10
Rise of the Tomb Raider - 7/10
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - 5.5/10

I'm still roughly 50%~ through Shadow but I agree it isn't as good as the first one or even second one. The first one was great. The second was good. This one so far has been fair. Not at the level of one and two. Some great additions/changes from the previous games but it feels less like those two.

Cleaning, Tomb Raider style.

laura-croft-cleaning.jpg

Is that the plan? Sounds good to me. Hopefully the next game is well received by everyone and gets the series properly back on track.

Yep
"Our origin trilogy told the story of Lara’s early days where she was forged into a survivor, became a hero, and ultimately, a tomb raider," Kerslake said in the video, "while the classic games contained a seasoned and competent adventurer. We envision a future of Tomb Raider unfolding after these established adventures, telling stories that build upon both Core Design’s games and Crystal Dynamics’, working to unify these timelines."

Tomb Raider's Next Game to Unite the Originals and Reboots

I bought the reboot and Rise yesterday and I'll probably buy Shadow after I'm done with those two.

Tomb Raider was in my waitlist for a long time but was been buried by other games as I kept discovering games to play. So I'm kinda eXcited to finally play this. I've watched a walkthrough of the reboot along time ago.

Some other stuff announced last week for the 25th anniversary was that a Netflix anime show is in development that takes place after Shadow, I assume it'll pave the way for the new game. Pretty cool we'll get a cartoon, haven't seen Lara in animation since the web shorts from like 2007. My favorite of those was for sure the Peter Chung directed episodes. Seeing Tomb Raider by way of Peter Chung was delightful.

They want to do a year long Anniversary celebration from what i gather, which is super cool.
The next movie starts to take shape, a netflix anime, they want to unify the games universes(the reboot and the original) etc.

Cool to see that they didnt forget about such a huge anniversary.

I do hope they make more games with the current version of Lara. And I don't mind if they start adopting elements from the original concept, such as the iconic dual-wielding pistols and Lara being a more seasoned explorer.

However, one thing I hope they do stay away from is turning current Lara into the oversexualized, big-busted original Lara. That's one thing I really like about this current Lara is that she was NOT treated as some "cool "hyper-sexualized object but rather as a real and realistic person.

I wonder when the neXt game is going to come out. Is the fourth game in the reboot series in the works now?

Just finished the reboot. I enjoyed it but I wasn't wowed by it. It was my first TR game. I could have played it more but I decided not to do all the side quests and find all the collectibles. I got 72%. I think I beat the main game in more or less 8 hours which is fine as I was expecting a very linear game. I didn't expect side quests, fast travel, weapon upgrades and backtracking. I also didn't expect Lara to kill so many enemies. The game is totally similar to the Uncharted games except for the backtracking and upgrades.

I don't know what to say about the story. Tbh I thought it was nothing special. I didn't have an attachment with the characters even Lara. They were all flat to me. But I enjoyed that I finally played a Tomb Raider game, though I was expecting some fantastical/weird things. The worst part in this game is the quicktime events. I always died when there was a quicktime. Thankfully halfway through in the game, it had fewer of those.

Also its odd seeing Zachary Levi hosting the documentary clips added in the eXtras section.

If this is the best out of the reboot series then I should lower my eXpectations for Rise and Shadow.

Great news on us getting a new game, I liked Rise and thought the 2013 reboot was amazing, Shadow is on my list but not played it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"