Thread of the Tomb Raider

I just finished the main story of Rise and I prefer it over the reboot. I enjoyed it a lot more. The graphics look really good. For a 2015 game, this has to be one of the best looking games I've played. I was more engaged in playing this than the reboot. Siberia looks good. Syria looks good as well. I also like the locations more. My favorite location is the camp of Lara's allies. I only finished 4 out of the 9 tombs and I'm not backtracking to find the things I missed, but I did all the 3 side missions from the npcs. I got 75% completion.

I love the stealth section where Lara needs to be underwater and she has to grab those soldiers. There are some gadgets from the reboot that I wish were here but the gameplay is still solid though some of the guns could have been better. I like the characters here more though story wise, it still felt flat to me especially the dialogue. Like I wouldn't recommend these games for the story and the characters. The bonus costumes from the previous games would have been nicer if they didn't use the boxy game model.

I just finished the main story of Rise and I prefer it over the reboot. I enjoyed it a lot more. The graphics look really good. For a 2015 game, this has to be one of the best looking games I've played. I was more engaged in playing this than the reboot. Siberia looks good. Syria looks good as well. I also like the locations more. My favorite location is the camp of Lara's allies. I only finished 4 out of the 9 tombs and I'm not backtracking to find the things I missed, but I did all the 3 side missions from the npcs. I got 75% completion.

I love the stealth section where Lara needs to be underwater and she has to grab those soldiers. There are some gadgets from the reboot that I wish were here but the gameplay is still solid though some of the guns could have been better. I like the characters here more though story wise, it still felt flat to me especially the dialogue. Like I wouldn't recommend these games for the story and the characters. The bonus costumes from the previous games would have been nicer if they didn't use the boxy game model.
Yeah, the non-Lara characters in TR games are rarely the best. What would you give Rise out of 10?

Yeah, the non-Lara characters in TR games are rarely the best. What would you give Rise out of 10?
I think 8 out of 10. With the reboot being 7.5.

I'm not going to play the DLCs of Rise as the enemies there (from what I've seen are more stressful) but I did half of the tombs in Rise unlike in the reboot. Just not afan of backtracking and collecting everything in a metroidvania style game as that could affect my over all thoughts about the game.

I think 8 out of 10. With the reboot being 7.5.

I'm not going to play the DLCs of Rise as the enemies there (from what I've seen are more stressful) but I did half of the tombs in Rise unlike in the reboot. Just not afan of backtracking and collecting everything in a metroidvania style game as that could affect my over all thoughts about the game.

The DLC was really good for Rise I recommend it, the enemies weren't too difficult and a nice boss fight included.

I couldn't be bothered with the last Tomb Raider game tbh. I was disappointed with the story and characters and the sequel was similarly a dud for me. Gameplay was ok, but was nothing spectacular and seemed more to focus on the survival aspect than exploring tombs full of enemies. To me Lara was best either in her classic or anniversary/Legend iterations.

I couldn't be bothered with the last Tomb Raider game tbh. I was disappointed with the story and characters and the sequel was similarly a dud for me. Gameplay was ok, but was nothing spectacular and seemed more to focus on the survival aspect than exploring tombs full of enemies. To me Lara was best either in her classic or anniversary/Legend iterations.
Sad to hear. A few others have said similar. Disappointing after the first 2 reboot games were received so well.

Honestly, Shadow's by far my favourite. Takes the improved combat from Rise and builds on it, but where I find Rise is hampered by a dull story, villains, and supporting characters, I thought Shadow did much better. Felt like it gave Lara more as a character to chew on as well.

Honestly, Shadow's by far my favourite. Takes the improved combat from Rise and builds on it, but where I find Rise is hampered by a dull story, villains, and supporting characters, I thought Shadow did much better. Felt like it gave Lara more as a character to chew on as well.
Oh right. Good to hear a different opinion. I hope I like them all. I would prefer that I love the next games but they get a great reception across the board as well as this is one of those series I’d like them to keep making for good. I’m really into this genre and there don’t seem to be many games in it. Just as well that the 2 we have are Tomb Raider and Uncharted and I can’t wait for Indy to join their ranks with a modern AAA game.

Imagine how good those temples and jungles and Lara will look in another 30 years. :D::cool:

Sad to hear. A few others have said similar. Disappointing after the first 2 reboot games were received so well.

No I think The Infernal is saying the first 2 disappointed so the third didnt get played.

I liked Shadow I think for me it was the most exciting one. The next games need Laura to lighten up and have fun exploring or get a comedic side character(s).

I have heard a lot of mixed things on Shadow but I do intend to play it anyway, have absolutely loved plenty of games with mixed reception and I have really enjoyed the first 2 reboot games.

I also just finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider today. I thought the reboot series of this game was getting worse due to Metacritic ratings but its the opposite. This is probably my favorite Tomb Raider game out of the three that I played. I liked that I only got the original disc edition and the definition version was given for free in the update. The graphics look great. To me, if a game look as good as this, its worth it to play just to see the environment, the cutscenes and the work put in the visuals. Similar to Rise, my favorite locations in the game are those hubs with lots of npcs and there are three locations. It kinda reminded me of the early AC games but in Peru. I liked that they used MeXico and Peru as the locations. I don't think I've played a game before set in those countries.

The gameplay is very similar to the reboot and Rise, so I didn't need to get used to the controls. The difference is this seems more hardcore. The new options for stealth, the piranhas and those zombie like creatures. I like that they added a photo mode, I don't remember Rise having one. The gears have extra features and I can just change the boots or the top if I want to.

For me the weirdest thing about these Tomb Raider games, is everytime I hear Lara's voice or see her face, I'm always reminded that I'm watching Camilla Luddington on Grey's Anatomy for more than 5 years.

Even though I don't really like the story and characters of these 3 recent Tomb Raider games - the more TR games I played, the more I liked it. I wish Square EniX is releasing a Tomb Raider game this year or neXt year since this game is going to turn 3 this year. I've read the sales of Shadow weren't very good similar to Just Cause 4. I'm assuming its why a sequel announcement hasn't been made yet. Best case scenario, a new game comes out in 2023, 5 years after Shadow.

For the sequel
- I want less backtracking because looking at the map and seeing my incomplete percentage. I don't have the energy to backtrack in those secluded locations and look for every piece of treasure/statue/file just to get a 100%. Uncharted is better at collectibles, they are many but they aren't as tedious as the collectibles in Tomb Raider.
- The optional tombs and crypts are creative and well designed but the ones I've went to, the rewards aren't really useful for me. I don't think they made any difference. I wish they could incorporate those tombs in the main story. It always felt random that there's this big story and Lara will suddenly go inside these tombs and caves. Those sections take at least 10 minutes. It doesn't really affect the story and her journey at all. The tombs are there just to make the game longer imo and it doesn't advance the story. I prefer the side quests that let you interact with npcs because there's at least some story there.
- I don't want to hunt and kill animals. I feel like hunting animals to upgrade the gear/weapon get tiring after I've done it a couple of times in franchises like Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider.
- I want a much smaller skill tree and smaller variety of upgrading materials. Looking at Shadow's menu and seeing all the items there, there are just too many for such a short game. Basically, they should simplify things.

For the locations, I want Africa or Australia or maybe in a vibrant city if they could do that. Something that looks different from the last 3 games. I don't want to see a forest, a jungle, trees to climb, snow and a body of water to swim in the next Tomb Raider. I know they are going to combine the original games and the newer games but I hope its a Tomb Raider 4. I want them to keep this metroid vania formula and grounded adventure feel, but I also want a more story driven game and side quests that don't feel like an obligation/check list. The last three Tomb Raider games are also quite short especially if I didn't side track to tombs, challenges, collectibles and grinding for upgrades. I want a longer main story and less padding when it comes to side quests.

I enjoyed Shadow. I feel like out of the three games this felt like a more complete eXperience and I hope they improve more for the next game.

Yeah I'm kinda sad now that I already finished Shadow as I was enjoying it way more than the other two, especially those three locations with plenty of npcs. I finished the reboot and Rise in five days, while Shadow in 7 days. I forgot to mention, i got 87% completion in Shadow which is higher than the last two. I hope Square eniX isn't discourage by the sales and continue this franchise.

Is the new Trilogy Collection digital only or will there be a physical release?

Surprised how much love a few people have for shadow. I liked all 3 but I thought shadow was easily the worst of the 3 it was a big disappointment.

I forgot to mention, the woman in Paititi (the mother of the little kid) is one of the few characters I liked in the series so thats another + for the game.

I thought the second one was a bit dull which put me off shadow but when I played it I really loved it. Not sure why it didn’t take off but people seem to be saying it was too repetitive. Not sure what else they could add to spice things up. Maybe vehicles? Or stepping away from jungles for a bit?

Australia would be fun though. We have the oldest living culture here which would be amazing to explore

I think they need to take a break from forest/jungles/tree climbing for the neXt game.

Lara driving a truck in a desert or the outback is something I would like to see and maybe a vehicle chase setpiece? I also think maybe a different saving set up. Like it doesn't always have to a bonfire in every saving spot.

Thanks to PS Plus, I was able to finally play Shadow after snubbing it for so long for having had a dull experience with Rise. To my surprise, I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would. I even got the Platinum Trophy, which I only go for when I'm really imersed in a game. The second game was ok, but the first and third were great.

With that said, I really hope the next one has a completely different formula from this trilogy.
For the sequel
- I want less backtracking because looking at the map and seeing my incomplete percentage. I don't have the energy to backtrack in those secluded locations and look for every piece of treasure/statue/file just to get a 100%. Uncharted is better at collectibles, they are many but they aren't as tedious as the collectibles in Tomb Raider.
That's exactly how I feel.
Even though I collected everything, just thinking about returning to an empty, dark, gloomy, secluded and closed location gave me some sort of anxiety and I really felt like not doing it, but I was so far in that I pushed myself to do it.

Even more if it involved underwater sections. There's SO MUCH of that in this game. There is no excuse for an explorer like her not to bring an underwater breathing device or not to have it by the next game.

I think what garners many of the complaints on this very page is how sandboxed these games are and what comes with it. I really miss the benefits of linearity for this kind of game and I hope the next one can bring that back. They really need to step away from the current formula. Three games is about enough.
Specially if the next one is gonna make the link with the first game in the franchise.

The percentage of those collectibles are also quite small. For eXample, I went back to the game and finished two side missions and got like 5 collectibles, and my percentage only went up to 0.50%.

And I wish they added a night and day cycle at least for the 3 hubs. They did that for Rise after the main story was finished.

I prefer the sandbox/metroid vania formula. I just don't want to backtrack to the secluded locations especially the tombs to find collectibles because I missed them the 1st time around. I think if they have to pile up collectibles, they should put in those hubs so it would feel less tedious. Then keep the special rewards for tombs/crypts.

Last edited:
Honestly, my main takeaway from the recent trilogy is that Lara Croft is apparently a demigoddess who hasn't quite been told that what she does isn't actually humanly possible. If the next game revealed that her grandmother was the Olympian Artemis, or her grandfather some kind of Kryptonian knockoff, I'd believe it. *cough*

What she's capable is not really out of the ordinary compare to Uncharted's Nathan Drake and Chloe, or videogame protagonists in Resident Evil and Assassin's Creed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"