Three Thousand Years Of Longing

I really feel like Miller caught lighting in a bottle with Fury Road because prior to that, all we had was Happy Feet and Babe as anything to measure his recent merit. It doesn’t surprise me if this gets mixed reactions.

I mean, he's a good filmmaker, though. Yeah, he has done a wide variety of stuff, but almost all of those films are good examples of their respective genres.

I guess maybe one of the issues that some have had with 3000 Years is its genre is a little more difficult to define (I guess a hybrid of whimsical fantasy with romantic drama) and maybe it doesn't completely work as an exercise within a genre the way something like The Road Warrior or Fury Road do so masterfully.

Nah, man, it's just a cool flick.

"Pretentious"? Gosh, people overuse that word.
Honestly, I don't really use that word at all. So when I DO, it means something. The soundtrack was awful, the actors were poorly used (if you cast Ron freaking Perlman, one of my favorite actors, as a mobster, and he's STRUGGLING to make something of his role, you've ****ed up), the sudden use of gore towards the end was clearly to hide a shockingly dragged out, cliché story. And it's the rare case where I never even SAW a single trailer before seeing the movie. I only saw it because my therapist at the time said it was a "film noire" type movie. And it's not; it's just a big load of NOTHING! You want a movie where Ryan Gosling gives a more meaningful performance with moments where he doesn't talk? Go watch Blade Runner 2049. Refn's no Denis Villeneuve.

Honestly, I don't really use that word at all. So when I DO, it means something. The soundtrack was awful, the actors were poorly used (if you cast Ron freaking Perlman, one of my favorite actors, as a mobster, and he's STRUGGLING to make something of his role, you've ****ed up), the sudden use of gore towards the end was clearly to hide a shockingly dragged out, cliché story. And it's the rare case where I never even SAW a single trailer before seeing the movie. I only saw it because my therapist at the time said it was a "film noire" type movie. And it's not; it's just a big load of NOTHING! You want a movie where Ryan Gosling gives a more meaningful performance with moments where he doesn't talk? Go watch Blade Runner 2049. Refn's no Denis Villeneuve.

I think Drive is vastly superior to BR2049, but to each their own.

This looks so f’ing weird. Interesting premise and head scratching visuals. Don’t know what to make out of it really but since it’s George Miller I’m going to see it, just to see what the hell he comes up with after his latest triumph.

Last edited:

Jesus Christ. 22 minutes?? I’d be ready to start a fire at half that.

18 minutes for Mud…

not-impressed-not-bad.gif

Three Thousand Years of Longing - BTS Broll 1080p

Three Thousand Years of Longing - Soundbites - Idris Elba - The Djinn

I absolutely hated Drive. Such a pretentious piece of crap.

FRxCg4DVEAAnl5w

Ummm so there were moments in this that I loved and was intrigued by and then there were moments that were a chore to get through. Overall it was alright I guess not something I’d ever revisit.

Flopped hard at the box office. I guess this is why Hollywood doesn't typically take risks on movies like this.

Flopped hard at the box office. I guess this is why Hollywood doesn't typically take risks on movies like this.
Would have helped if MGM had marketed it. But yeah, it's extremely difficult to pull in audiences to anything that isn't an action movie these days. Very sad, really.

Even though the movie didn’t wow me I think there was stuff that should’ve been in the trailer (I only ever saw one play in theaters) that could’ve sold more people.

Would have helped if MGM had marketed it. But yeah, it's extremely difficult to pull in audiences to anything that isn't an action movie these days. Very sad, really.

I don't think MGM knew how to market it ("Aladdin for adults" ...? Ehhyeahok) and I only half-blame them as it's not an easy sell. I want to see the movie but mostly just cuz of George Miller.

Just came back from this. Definitely 9/10 for originality, but I'd say 6/10 for execution.

It wasn't quite exactly what I was expecting based on the trailer I saw earlier in the year, and alternated between a modern-day timeline and historical "flashbacks" very frequently throughout. The events in the modern-day timeline (all featuring Tilda Swinton) just weren't compelling, and although there was an effort to tie the modern-day timeline with the historical flashbacks, it wasn't done super well, and the historical flashbacks were WAY more compelling.

I would've honestly preferred a movie that was mostly set in the past, tied in with the modern timeline at either the beginning or the end.

Tilda Swinton was good, but Idris Elba stole the show. I do think it's worth watching for anyone who's both a fan of Elba and interested in artistically-creative movies. It had some visually amazing scenes and cinematography, for sure.

I'd say the genre/tone of this movie fell more squarely into the "philosophical drama" than I was expecting.

Yup the trailer should’ve been cut differently with more of the scenes from the past put in cause that’s the interesting part of the film.

Didn't care for the Tilda Swinton part at the end of this, but I loved it. It's essentially an anthology tale of a Djinn with the style that's similar to The Fall.

I do agree the trailer doesn't do this movie justice, at all.

They should have released it on vod and in select theaters. I would have paid $20 to rent it this past Friday.

100% worth it for the Djinn calling the Large Hadron Collider a "vast gizmo."

I mean, look at Everything Everywhere All At Once. That movie was weird and artsy AF and audiences latched onto it. It just depends on the subject material and how digestible the director makes the film ultimately. I havent seen this but everything i'm reading suggests that its just weird for weird's sake without payoff.

Finally caught this at possibly its last showing, ha.

Miller's unique vision is appreciated and is really the selling point for this movie. Narratively the film is so awkward and unusual it's hard to even know what to say about it other than sometimes that aspect is really interesting and sometimes it falls flat and sometimes it doesn't quite work. In the end the movie feels about half an hour longer than it actually is because of how disjointed its rhythm is, something I hadn't encountered in a George Miller film before despite how easily his endless ideas could have had that effect.

I think Swinton and Elba are good and I actually enjoyed most of their scenes together but for what this film tries to do with them dramatically, I think either their characters weren't quite well-realized enough or the oddball narrative structure of the film was possibly too distracting. And as much as I enjoyed how Miller got to play around with the djinn's tales, I will say the relevance of a couple of those tales felt minimal. I might need to watch again. There is definitely some blending and blurring of narratives happening in conjunction with an unreliable narrator premise, as well as a meta aspect--but it's hard to say if all that added up to many worthwhile cumulative effects. Thematically, parts of the film are far too blunt and obvious while others are possibly too obscure or confused to really register.

At the end of the day I'm still glad I saw this, it's unique and has merits. And I'm still a bit baffled that a major studio even put up the money to produce and distribute it.

It's now available to rent for $20 on streaming services.

I mean, look at Everything Everywhere All At Once. That movie was weird and artsy AF and audiences latched onto it. It just depends on the subject material and how digestible the director makes the film ultimately. I havent seen this but everything i'm reading suggests that its just weird for weird's sake without payoff.
EEAAO benefited from a wild and fun trailer staring Michelle Yeoh being a badass. Whereas the trailer for this film showed Tilda being an awkward loner, and not wanting to make wishes and not knowing what to wish for. A character like the one presented in the trailer is not very endearing or enticing or remotely exciting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"