TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

TIH didn't seem to be that accepted either though really. I mean, it only made about 10 million more than Ang's. And ticket prices had to have gone up in that 5 years. You could say Ang's movie damaged it's box office, but that would have only effected it's OW. If it was that good a movie the WOM would have helped it recover. Which it didn't.

On IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes it is much more accepted than Ang Lee's Hulk, which has a huge disparity in audience ratings. People who had seen it thought it was much better as reflected in those. Ang Lee's Hulk will never be accepted by general audiences.

X-men: FC was a better movie though and had more success in the bigger countries as the X-men franchise was bigger than Hulk franchise.

Also, General Audiences (according to imdb and RT so I'm just point this out) accepted Wolverine and X3 more than Hulk. Yeah, they crave action that much.

Personally, I'd put Hulk over both.

It must have. If it had good WOM the drop offs wouldn't have been as bad. Bad marketing obviously had an effect too though.

Completely attributing TIH's box office failure to Ang's Hulk is a cop out by fans who prefer TIH.

TIH didn't seem to be that accepted either though really. I mean, it only made about 10 million more than Ang's. And ticket prices had to have gone up in that 5 years. You could say Ang's movie damaged it's box office, but that would have only effected it's OW. If it was that good a movie the WOM would have helped it recover. Which it didn't.

On IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes it is much more accepted than Ang Lee's Hulk, which has a huge disparity in audience ratings. People who had seen it thought it was much better as reflected in those. Ang Lee's Hulk will never be accepted by general audiences, and not to be insulting, but personally, I find it delusional that people hold out hope and think it will.

X-men: FC was a better movie though and had more success in the bigger countries as the X-men franchise was bigger than Hulk franchise.

Also, General Audiences (according to imdb and RT so I'm just point this out) accepted Wolverine and X3 more than Hulk. Yeah, they crave action that much.

It must have. If it had good WOM the drop offs wouldn't have been as bad. Bad marketing obviously had an effect too though.

Completely attributing TIH's box office failure to Ang's Hulk is a cop out by fans who prefer TIH.

I never said it was all on Ang's film, but conversely, Hulk fans seem to write off the Ang effect, and that is an equally flawed argument.

On IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes it is much more accepted than Ang Lee's Hulk, which has a huge disparity in audience ratings. People who had seen it thought it was much better as reflected in those. Ang Lee's Hulk will never be accepted by general audiences.

On RT both Hulks are in the 60s (62 and 66) in terms of percentage. Both average scores are around the 6 mark too. In fact going by the so called "top critics" Ang's Hulk is superior. But ehhh whatevs.

To be honest i don't put much stock into what general audiences think anyway. According to them Transformers Dark of the Moon is a masterpiece.

I never said it was all on Ang's film, but conversely, Hulk fans seem to write off the Ang effect, and that is an equally flawed argument.

I'm not writing it off. I think it and the shoddy marketing campaign played a part in the opening weekend.

But anything beyond that is down to WOM and reviews.

Hulk's Audience RT rating is 34%

TIH's Audience RT rating is 75%

More people in the GA liked TIH...That is a gaping difference. Critics might be even, but if you're trying to equate quality with popular opinion, TIH wins.

Like I said earlier, it is not that I hate Hulk. I just felt TIH was better, and it has nothing to do with the "low attention span" argument most Hulk fans try and make.

More people in the GA liked Transformers Dark of the Moon than Contagion. What does that tell you? ;)

More people in the GA liked Transformers Dark of the Moon than Contagion. What does that tell you? ;)

You're the one who compared RT scores for both movies first...not me. Just saying, you can't use it as an argument measure in your benefit and write it off when it conflicts with your view.

I can, because the critics put both movies about even. I don't care what the GA thinks. And it doesn't matter, because at the end of the day TIH made pocket change more than Hulk, even with it being more liked by the GA and increased ticket prices.

It doesn't really matter though. I don't like using box office results to argue in favour of a movie.

You *should* care what the GA thinks, because that is ultimately what determines whether a movie is successful or not. That said, given the higher GA rating for TIH over Ang didn't translate into meaningfully superior revenue, I'm dubious of how meaningful that particular rating is.

Why should i care if a movie is successful or not though? That money isn't going into my pockets :D

All I care about is whether i enjoy the movie. I enjoyed Ang's more than Letterier's.

You *should* care what the GA thinks, because that is ultimately what determines whether a movie is successful or not. That said, given the higher GA rating for TIH over Ang didn't translate into meaningfully superior revenue, I'm dubious of how meaningful that particular rating is.

It has some meaning, it means that I *should not* care what the GA thinks, because that is not necessarily what determines whether a movie is successful or not.

Or good or not. Frankly, the majority of the GA don't know what a good movie is. They just know what they like and dislike and want to be entertained on a night out at the pictures, which is totally understandable and I have no beef with that. Honestly, I think everyone has a bit of that in them. Well they should do otherwise life could be pretty ****ing boring lol.

I mean, if you go through life as a film snob who can't enjoy movies like Big Trouble in Little China or Animal House, I feel really bad for you. hahaha

Last edited:
Looks like Incredible is still ahead of Ol' Ang. The people have spoken.

Why should you care? Simple: because if the GA doesn't go to see a movie, more movies do not get made. And unless the studio has the expectation of the GA seeing a movie, they won't make it in the first place.

So your "perfect for the comic fan" adaptation that literally ignores the GA? Not only won't it get any sequels, but it will hurt the prospects for any other comic book adaptation getting made.

Why should you care? Simple: because if the GA doesn't go to see a movie, more movies do not get made. And unless the studio has the expectation of the GA seeing a movie, they won't make it in the first place.

So your "perfect for the comic fan" adaptation that literally ignores the GA? Not only won't it get any sequels, but it will hurt the prospects for any other comic book adaptation getting made.

So far two Hulk movies have been made, one not much accepted by GA and one that's been argued to be GA taste. None of them got any sequels.

Why would i want a sequel to a movie i don't like anyway?

I mean, if it was a movie i loved and it bombed, i'd be disappointed. But i'd rather have one movie that i love, than a trilogy of movies i don't like.

Why would i want a sequel to a movie i don't like anyway?

I mean, if it was a movie i loved and it bombed, i'd be disappointed. But i'd rather have one movie that i love, than a trilogy of movies i don't like.

I have said this very thing so many times and with the very same words, man.

:up: Tis the mentality everyone should have, really.

I remember the fallout of Green Lantern, with all these GL fans like "But they can make it better with the sequel!"

Why the **** would you want a sequel to that piece of crap? lol.

The whole franchise/trilogy mentality annoys me anyway. It's something studios and money men should be worried about, not fans. Just hope for a great movie. If it is great and gets a sequel, fantastic. It should be like the good old days, where a sequel was a bonus, the cherry on top. Not this "franchise or nothing!" mentality people have today.

I can, because the critics put both movies about even. I don't care what the GA thinks. And it doesn't matter, because at the end of the day TIH made pocket change more than Hulk, even with it being more liked by the GA and increased ticket prices.

It doesn't really matter though. I don't like using box office results to argue in favour of a movie.

Once again, I think you're trying to add this "low attention span" stigma to people who liked TIH more than Hulk, even if you don't intend to that.

Also, I only noted that the GA likes TIH more because you said that it didn't seem like the GA accepted or liked TIH when the GA has accepted TIH, even if it wasn't that huge a hit. The people that did TIH liked it, and Hulk wasn't as popular movie.

And the Avengers redesign looks more like Ang's Hulk! hahahahahaha!

Yep. A lot of the issues I had with Ang's Hulk are gone in the Avengers. He looks a lot more detailed, muscular, and less puffy while having a much more imposing stature and uglier (in a good way) look than TIH Hulk, I will admit.

Avengers Hulk > both Hulks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"