TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

Batman Begins would have made so much more money if it wasn't for Batman and Robin. Sucks we never got a sequel to that movie.

It's nice you like TIH better. Good for you, but a poll on an online forum doesn't dictate what movie is better. It's just opinions ya know. When it comes to box office that doesn't even matter since neither did well enough to get a sequel anyway. I do find it silly that people keep blaming TIH's bad box office on Ang's movie. If that were the case then the sarcasm at the beginning of my post wouldn't be sarcasm...or would it? Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnn!

Naaah...the free market solved that for us.

i will have to say incredible Hulk was my fav of the two. I liked the effects and agree they should have explored Hulk alittle more and made the fight between him and abomination longer, but angs hulk was very long and tried to be more then it was. It did have alot of intresting aspects to Hulks past that i do think should have been added to incredible hulk, but it didnt come together all that well in the end, and his father being the actual villan was kinda crappy to be. Plus the skin tone of angs hulk threw me off the whole movie. In the desert battle he almost looked neon green at times.

Batman Begins would have made so much more money if it wasn't for Batman and Robin. Sucks we never got a sequel to that movie.

It's nice you like TIH better. Good for you, but a poll on an online forum doesn't dictate what movie is better. It's just opinions ya know. When it comes to box office that doesn't even matter since neither did well enough to get a sequel anyway. I do find it silly that people keep blaming TIH's bad box office on Ang's movie. If that were the case then the sarcasm at the beginning of my post wouldn't be sarcasm...or would it? Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnn!

I agree with the second paragraph. As for the first, as much as I like TIH, its no Batman Begins.

There's a difference between discussing it (like on this board) and rating a movie. There are playing of non fanboys who rate movies, and they found TIH to be superior to Hulk. You can't simply judge what the audience thinks of a movie based on box office alone because many different factors go into it. You're pretty much writing off every single source that thought it was good in exchange for box office receipts that were tainted by the movie before. It was an uphill climb for TIH because of Ang Lee's Hulk. History has shown that a preceeding movie failing (and the Hulk failed in the audience eyes, even by your logic because its record dropoffs) will affect the succeeding movie, especially one in which the predecessor faced a near 70% which was at the time a record for a movie with that huge an opening weekend and with much of the GA believing TIH was a sequel to Hulk.

Sorry, but I dont believe that Ang's movie had much of an effect on TIH at all, if any. Look at Batman Begins, B&R was a MUCH MORE derided and a MUCH BIGGER flop than Hulk was, heck even the cast of B&R publicly bad mouthed it, yet BB went onto make around £375 WW, after a lower opening than TIH, why? WOM, which TIH didnt have.

Plus, Universal dropped the ball marketing wise on TIH, which was widely reported.

There's no way to screen the whole GA consensus. Cinemascore, imdb, and RT are the closest thing to that, and people liked TIH a lot more than Hulk.

People mentioned X-men First Class before. It made around the same amount of money, and people raved over it.

FC made around $100 million more WW than TIH, plus is DVD/BD sales have been great, hardly a valid comparison.

One thing to consider with TIH making slightly more money than Ang's movie is inflation. Ticket prices were obviously higher in 2008 than in 2003, and when you take that into account Ang's movie was more profitable.

Ang's Hulk could beat up TIH Hulk too! *farts and then leaves the ensuing madness*

Exactly, adjusted for inflation they made about the same, if people had loved TIH so much, it would have made comfortably more.

Sorry, but I dont believe that Ang's movie had much of an effect on TIH at all, if any. Look at Batman Begins, B&R was a MUCH MORE derided and a MUCH BIGGER flop than Hulk was, heck even the cast of B&R publicly bad mouthed it, yet BB went onto make around £375 WW, after a lower opening than TIH, why? WOM, which TIH didnt have.

Batman Begins was more liked than TIH was, but look at the way BB opened. B&R definitely effected BB's opening majorly. Yes, it had staying power in the theaters and better WOM than TIH, but just because it didn't make BB money WW doesn't mean it had poor WOM. Once again, every website that examines these things says it was a liked movie (I didn't say loved, I said liked). Unlike the previous film.

FC made around $100 million more WW than TIH, plus is DVD/BD sales have been great, hardly a valid comparison.

TIH did poorly in foreign markets, but domestically X-Men: First Class made $146,408,305 vs Incredible Hulk's $134,806,913. So, domestically they made roughly the same, and this is unadjusted for inflation. Where XFC made more money was in the foreign box office game. Yes, foreign markets matter and make a difference, but it goes to prove my point about drop percentages.

Exactly, adjusted for inflation they made about the same, if people had loved TIH so much, it would have made comfortably more.

I'm not saying it was a LOVED movie. I am saying it was a LIKED movie. Which I think most polling and such show. If TIH had been the first Hulk movie ever, I strongly believe it would have made a lot more money than it did. But, now we'll never know.

Naaah...the free market solved that for us.

1. It's pretty silly to think that box office dictates what movie is the best. We're talking about entertainment here, so things are going to be subjective. I'm sure there are a ton of movies that you hate that are popular. You a Twilight fan? Because Twilight is pretty damn popular. Guess that must mean it's great!

2. Even if we go by that logic Ang's Hulk still wins. More people paid to go see Ang's Hulk than they did TIH. TIH may have grossed more, but Ang's Hulk sold more tickets. Hence the inflation comment. If the market dictated what was best then apparently Ang's Hulk wins that one. Of course that's a silly line of thinking, so I'm definitely not going to use that to justify why I think it's the better movie.

I agree with the second paragraph. As for the first, as much as I like TIH, its no Batman Begins.

Of course it's not, but Ang's Hulk isn't Batman and Robin either. If Batman can survive Batman and Robin then TIH could survive this so called Ang backlash.

1. It's pretty silly to think that box office dictates what movie is the best. We're talking about entertainment here, so things are going to be subjective. I'm sure there are a ton of movies that you hate that are popular. You a Twilight fan? Because Twilight is pretty damn popular. Guess that must mean it's great!

Of course it's not, but Ang's Hulk isn't Batman and Robin either. If Batman can survive Batman and Robin then TIH could survive this so called Ang backlash.

Especially when it's the movie you like!:whatever: B&R was horrible.....Ang's Hulk was horrible, too. Just not in the same way goofy way. Ang tried to be too "deep" with a character who many come to see in a fight.....not in an argument with his daddy.

Especially when it's the movie you like!:whatever: B&R was horrible.....Ang's Hulk was horrible, too. Just not in the same way goofy way. Ang tried to be too "deep" with a character who many come to see in a fight.....not in an argument with his daddy.

So the best Hulk film is one where he just goes around smashing things, instead of delving into the psychology of the character? Is this bizarro world?

Again, the action scenes in Ang's were better than anything in TIH anyway. Desert scene >>>> everything in TIH. Everything in any Marvel Studios movie, actually.

Batman Begins was more liked than TIH was, but look at the way BB opened. B&R definitely effected BB's opening majorly. Yes, it had staying power in the theaters and better WOM than TIH, but just because it didn't make BB money WW doesn't mean it had poor WOM. Once again, every website that examines these things says it was a liked movie (I didn't say loved, I said liked). Unlike the previous film.

It effected the opening certainly, but BB was that good and had that good WOM that it was able to overcome that. If TIH was so liked it would have made the movie able to overcome the supposed bad taste left after Ang's movie, something which I dont think really effected anything personally. As someone else said as well, if BB can survive B&R, TIH should have been able to survive Ang's movie which wasnt nearly as derided and disliked.

TIH did poorly in foreign markets, but domestically X-Men: First Class made $146,408,305 vs Incredible Hulk's $134,806,913. So, domestically they made roughly the same, and this is unadjusted for inflation. Where XFC made more money was in the foreign box office game. Yes, foreign markets matter and make a difference, but it goes to prove my point about drop percentages.

Yes, but my point again stands, look at the DVD/BD sales, FC has done MUCH better than TIH did on those formats, hence it having better WOM.

I'm not saying it was a LOVED movie. I am saying it was a LIKED movie. Which I think most polling and such show. If TIH had been the first Hulk movie ever, I strongly believe it would have made a lot more money than it did. But, now we'll never know.

Again, I believe it was liked by people who go on the internet, but they are a small percentage of the movie going public, Snakes On A Plane proved this beyond any doubtas a movie that flopped after being built up totally on internet hype.

So the best Hulk film is one where he just goes around smashing things, instead of delving into the psychology of the character? Is this bizarro world?

Yeah, god forbid we get a bit of depth in a CB movie.

Again, the action scenes in Ang's were better than anything in TIH anyway. Desert scene >>>> everything in TIH. Everything in any Marvel Studios movie, actually.

Agreed, only thing that came close was Thor vs The Frost Giants and even that was worse by some way.

I like the emerald Hulk design much better than the olive green version.
The Hulk: HULK

Edward Norton's tortured character delivery was what was needed instead of Eric Bana's wooden performance.
Bruce Banner: THE INCREDIBLE HULK

I can't stand Jennifer Connelly, she took up way too much screentime in Hulk and she's not that good of an actress. Liv Tyler on the other hand is smoking hot and the kind of woman you'd be willing to fight to the death for.
Betsy Ross: THE INCREDIBLE HULK

Sam Elliot's potrayal of General Ross had way more resonance. It's said that the best villain is the one that thinks he is doing the right thing. In Elliott's case, he thought he was doing such by protecting his country and daughter by pursuing the Hulk the way he did. William Hurt's version is shown as a lying, uncaring, war monger. I prefer Elliot's version.
General Ross: HULK

An action packed film is more suitable for the Hulk than character study although I will give Ang Lee props for his attempt despite the slow pacing.
Storytelling: THE INCREDIBLE HULK

Both movies had memorable scores from Danny Elfman and Craig Armstrong.
Music: DRAW

Ang Lee did a better job with this classic conflict. Seeing The Hulk whirlwind toss the tank was zen to me.
Hulk Vs. The Army: HULK

With all due respect to Nick Nolte, Tim Roth's Abomination was the better foe to face The Hulk than The Absorbing Man.
Supervillain: THE INCREDIBLE HULK

So with 4-3, The Incredible Hulk is the better film IMO.

How in Sam hell can you say that Craig Armstrong's bland unremarkable score was at the same level as Danny Elfman's ? :huh:

I thought the score for TIH was ok. But Burton's score was fantastic, one of the best superhero movie scores there is.

I can't stand Jennifer Connelly, she took up way too much screentime in Hulk and she's not that good of an actress. Liv Tyler on the other hand is smoking hot and the kind of woman you'd be willing to fight to the death for.
Betsy Ross: THE INCREDIBLE HULK

So tou think Connelly is not a very good actress and that plays against her... but... on the other hand... Tyler is hot?

I thought the score for TIH was ok. But Burton's score was fantastic, one of the best superhero movie scores there is.

:oldrazz:

I didn't like how in TIH it made the transformation a physical thing (increased heart beat) instead of the transformation being fuelled by the actual emotion of anger.

Umm, Banners transformations are involved with stress and increased heart rate, it's not just anger...

Umm, Banners transformations are involved with stress and increased heart rate, it's not just anger...

Thing is that in TIH it was reduced to heart rate, so whatever the thing that got it up triggered the transformation. Anger, and stress, sure, but also... having sex. That is what some posters are refering too. And the fact that it was made for the sake of a few cheap laughs makes it disrespectful to the character IMO.

haha holy ****. Well, i guess that's an easy mistake to make when it's early in the morning. They may as well be one and the same!

Thing is that in TIH it was reduced to heart rate, so whatever the thing that got it up triggered the transformation. Anger, and stress, sure, but also... having sex. That is what some posters are refering too. And the fact that it was made for the sake of a few cheap laughs makes it disrespectful to the character IMO.

Yea, what El says. They turned it into elevated heart beat in general, instead of actual anger causing it. I didn't like that.

I mean what, should his tag line be "You wouldn't like me when my heart rate gets faster!"

Armstrongs score was actually pretty damn good. But Hulks score was Elfman, who is damn good, at the peak of his powers, so it just doesnt compare really. Elfman hasnt done a score even close to that one until Real Steel late last year!

So tou think Connelly is not a very good actress and that plays against her... but... on the other hand... Tyler is hot?
:oldrazz:

Yeah, Tyler is okay and all but Connelly is both much hotter and a much better actress.

Connelly used to be hotter, around the time Ang's film was made up until Blood Diamond. But she is way too skinny now.

^Yeah I agree she is too skinny now, has been for a while, but still think she is prettier than Tyler, who has a very ordinary face IMO. She was decent in TIH though.

Here's my problem with Ang Lee's Hulk. There is a such thing as too much depth, and trying to add too much depth to scenes to the point that it hurts the pacing and flow of the movie. There is too much exposition.

I like TIH, but don't love it for some of the reason you stated. You guys are right about some of the flaws of TIH, but at the same time like me and Spider-Fan have been saying, it's more than just Hulk Smashing things. To me, it was just better made movie that was more entertaining because it didn't over reach.

Once again, I have no problem with people liking Hulk, but still having this mentality that people who like TIH are the ADD crowd like you and AVE are implying is wrong.

Yes, but my point again stands, look at the DVD/BD sales, FC has done MUCH better than TIH did on those formats, hence it having better WOM.

Do you have the source for DVD sales? It doesn't say that FC outsold TIH anywhere yet. In it's first 11 weeks, FC sold 23 million vs TIH's 58 million.

EDIT: Nevermind, just read that Blu-Ray sales aren't included with either movie. Why?

Again, I believe it was liked by people who go on the internet, but they are a small percentage of the movie going public, Snakes On A Plane proved this beyond any doubtas a movie that flopped after being built up totally on internet hype.

It was liked more than people on the internet. Stop trying to bring out the strawman argument by trying to disregard the closest things we have to measuring the GA, especially when I used cinemascore which actually is the closest thing to how the GA felt toward a movie when it has shown that GA has ignored Hulk.

Last edited:
Connelly used to be hotter, around the time Ang's film was made up until Blood Diamond. But she is way too skinny now.

Connelly is so hot. :hrt:

Connelly > Tyler

haha holy ****. Well, i guess that's an easy mistake to make when it's early in the morning. They may as well be one and the same!

:funny:

Pretty much. Johnny Depp's score isn't that bad, and to be honest, I don't find TIH's memorable either. In fact, I don't find any of Marvel Studios scores that memorable.

Personally I think that Elfman's work on Hulk is the best of any Marvel soundtrack. For me it's up there with Williams Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"