• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

The problem with the TIH Hulk is that they tried too hard to distance themselves from the Ang Lee version. I still maintain the ideal is somewhere in the middle.

The Avengers Hulk was the best obviously.

The Avengers Hulk was the best obviously.

The Hulk himself, yes. But they haven't succeeded in portraying the character as the tragic figure he is, but as the average day-saver superhero.

i just re-watched Hulk 2003 last sunday on my free time...
and just realized that the size was too big....
but the story isn't bad at all comparing the first time i watched it long time ago...

for Bruce Banner, i always thought that Edward Norton's Banner was the best Banner...the skinny Bruce in Ed Norton's version looks like more Bruce Banner in comics (in psychical appearance) than any of Eric Bana and also Mark Ruffalo (though i loved his performance)

but for Hulk, The Avengers' Hulk was the best...

overall, The Incredible Hulk.... because its all what i expect from a Hulk movie...

TIH for me, Banner was spot on in this.

The Incredible Hulk was far better move than Ang Lee's version.
i don't think Ed Norton was head shoulder above Eric Bana. Also i enjoyed Sam Elliot as General Ross a lot better than William Hurt. (looked more psycho and intimidating than Hurt) but that's where it ends when compared to the Incredible Hlk.

Lee's version was just so cartoonish until it wasn't even funny. the best way to describe it was it looked liked an angry version of Shrek. Plus the first half of the movie was so very slow-dragging and too way too long t get into the transformation and action of the Hulk. i didn't like those silly square-dividing clips, and even the way Talbot died by fire off ricochet shell was cartoon fake-ish and the final battle with real dad "Absorbing Man" was disappointing to say the least.
Needless to say, i enjoyed the villain fight of Incredible Hulk vs Abomination much more than Lee's Hulk vs Absorbing Man.

The only thing i liked of Lee's version was the battle vs military (tanks, choppers,fighting jets) - which may have been the equal of " the Incredible Hulk" battle vs military.

The problem with the TIH Hulk is that they tried too hard to distance themselves from the Ang Lee version. I still maintain the ideal is somewhere in the middle.

Seriousness of Ang's Hulk + Action of TIH. :cwink:

Both Rosses from the original movie

The Incredible Hulk was far better move than Ang Lee's version.
i don't think Ed Norton was head shoulder above Eric Bana. Also i enjoyed Sam Elliot as General Ross a lot better than William Hurt. (looked more psycho and intimidating than Hurt) but that's where it ends when compared to the Incredible Hlk.

Lee's version was just so cartoonish until it wasn't even funny. the best way to describe it was it looked liked an angry version of Shrek. Plus the first half of the movie was so very slow-dragging and too way too long t get into the transformation and action of the Hulk. i didn't like those silly square-dividing clips, and even the way Talbot died by fire off ricochet shell was cartoon fake-ish and the final battle with real dad "Absorbing Man" was disappointing to say the least.
Needless to say, i enjoyed the villain fight of Incredible Hulk vs Abomination much more than Lee's Hulk vs Absorbing Man.

The only thing i liked of Lee's version was the battle vs military (tanks, choppers,fighting jets) - which may have been the equal of " the Incredible Hulk" battle vs military.

Agreed. To most if not all.

However, Ang Hulk's dad villain was some amalgamation of several of Hulks villains including Absorbing Man and Zzzax. Which, looking back, at this point in CBM history, is just laughable. It's a joke. As if they couldnt decide on a way to do a single one of Hulk's villains justice so they just combined them all in hopes that it was passable. Which it was not.

I still think The Incredible Hulk has my favorite Hulk design in live action

However, Ang Hulk's dad villain was some amalgamation of several of Hulks villains including Absorbing Man and Zzzax. Which, looking back, at this point in CBM history, is just laughable. It's a joke. As if they couldnt decide on a way to do a single one of Hulk's villains justice so they just combined them all in hopes that it was passable. Which it was not.
Zzzax was only when he absorbed electricity, and it was still Absorbing Man
TDK Joker is influenced by Basil Karlo's Clayface with the knife and the make up bits, no one found that laughable

ALH seemed much deeper than it actually was for me. Kind of like lots of Allen Moore's work. It seemed deep but often really wasn't. Lots of things never went anywhere and the characters I found unrelatable. TIH I the characters seemed more relatable and more real motivations and emotions, to me at least.

On a pure physical level, I cannot describe how much I hated King Kong size Hulk.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Ang Lee's Hulk for the torment of Dr. Banner. I thought much of it was very hokey, however - almost anything to do with the father figure as a villain was a turn off and the action (aside from the army vs hulk scene) rarely held my attention. Delving into Hulk's samskara's from childhood was powerful and I think important to understanding just why he is so angry. I liked the comic-book style editting as well - someone should bring that back (perhaps not for the MCU, but somewhere, somehow).

I recently got the chance the view the original Leterrier/Norton cut of The Incredible Hulk. I was already a huge fan of the film & seeing this version only further cemented that. The suicide intro is such a defining moment, and the additional love triangle stuff adds some potency to the middle; there's alot of small scenes that add up to an IMO more fleshed out world and suitable pace for the film. There are also two additional pizza delivery gags, one of which falls flat, that I think could be removed but overall I enjoyed almost every single scene which was missing from the original cut.

Definitely my preferred version of the film; I just wish we could get an official HD release!

I don't really know. Ang lee's has a lot of deep drama but The incredible Hulk is a lot more entertaining.

Recently re-watched Ang's Hulk several times & I think it's a little underrated. Sure, there are some things that could've been done better but I think it handles the psychology behind Bruce & the Hulk very well. None of the performances, save for maybe Nolte, are bad.

Ultimately, I still choose TIH. While the story isn't necessarily as deep, I've always felt that it captures more of the elements I want in a Hulk film, & the movie holds the second best Hulk design, imo.

Ang Lee's all the way.

Hulk himself emotes more and I liked that Banner was scared of what he was rather than just trying to suppress the beast

And Sam Elliott.

Both Rosses from the original movie

That must be one of the things I hate the most of Ang's Hulk it had first dibs on the character, had great casting and then simply blew it.

If it never existed we'd have Elliot in the MCU and his Thunderbolt would have been so awesome he'd surely been written into the Avengers somehow.

Hurt isn't even all that bad, he just doesn't have the look and the feel that Elliot did and it's just a jarring experience.

Tyler isn't as unsettling a recast but Connelly is just so much more the chilling beauty. :csad:

I agree, Connelly definitely captured more of the beauty I feel Betty should have.

Truthfully, the only people I really want to avoid losing are Tim Roth & Tim Blake Nelson. If Hurt or Tyler were recast I wouldn't have a problem at all (not that I disliked either of their performances).

I tried watching the Incredible Hulk again. It has some great dramatic moments, but the action scenes of the Hulk grew worse right up to the climax. What we got from the final battle with the Abomination felt too different from the rest of the film. It's not only the less convincing CGI composition of the Hulk. The editing of the action sequences were a painful experience compared to more refined editing in Ang Lee's film. They should definitely stop using slow motion effects so much.

I tried watching the Incredible Hulk again. It has some great dramatic moments, but the action scenes of the Hulk grew worse right up to the climax. What we got from the final battle with the Abomination felt too different from the rest of the film. It's not only the less convincing CGI composition of the Hulk. The editing of the action sequences were a painful experience compared to more refined editing in Ang Lee's film. They should definitely stop using slow motion effects so much.

It was a battle of titans .... did you really think it would be similar to something like the campus battle vs. the military?

Critiques like yours literally make no sense to me.

It was a battle of titans.... did you really think it would be similar to something like the campus battle vs. the military?

Critiques like yours literally make no sense to me.

No it wasn't. It was two big guys bear hugging each other in a vacant lot until one gets choked out with a chain. The battle needed more of the car-boxing it promised when it first started.

I find all of the action in The Incredible Hulk to be lackluster to be honest. I never understood how people can say Hulk lacked action when I bet my bottom dollar if one timed it, there is more action in that film than TIH.

Last edited:
I feel like watching TIH again, it's been a long time since I last saw it. Didn't think much of it at the time

Last edited:
No it wasn't. It was two big guys bear hugging each other in a vacant lot until one gets choked out with a chain. The battle needed more of the car-boxing it promised when it first started.

I find all of the action in The Incredible Hulk to be lackluster to be honest. I never understood how people can say Hulk lacked action when I bet my bottom dollar if one timed it, there is more action in that film than TIH.

They promised car boxing? :doh: ..... if the entire fight was them using cars for boxing gloves it would be stale. That would be like performing the same magic trick over and over for 10 minutes.

They did more than bear hug too. The first move was that 100 yard run at each other and delivering dual airborne jump punches. Then you had Hulk boxing him with the car. They tossed each other around large distances. At one point Hulk pummeled Abom's face into the ground and he literally laughed it off before kicking hulk far into a building. You had Hulk trying to drag Abom off a helicopter ..... fighting him in that court yard ..... Hulk choking him out with that weighted chain and stabbing Abom with one of his own bones.

I'm not even going to dignify you naive response anymore. The assertion that it was just bear hugging is laughable. There is no other fight sequence in the MCU that compares to it in terms of brutality and length.

Since your memory is clearly very hazy .....

[YT]bz59G2ZREF4[/YT]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"