Tim Miller exits Deadpool 2

Discussion in 'Deadpool 2' started by BatsDC, Oct 22, 2016.

1. LoganGambit87 Registered

new report suggests Tim Miller wanted a bigger budget 3 times the original
    http://www.thewrap.com/inside-the-deadpool-2-fight-over-two-totally-different-movies/

2. Nathan Registered

I don't mind a smaller Movie that doesn't require a big budget. But with Miller at the helm, I would have loved to see what he could have done with three times the budget of the original Movie.

3. Smilodon Registered

Weintraub of Collider and Bumbray of Joblo says it's not about the budget and that it was Ryan who wanted the bigger budget for the film and it was Miller who wanted it smaller. Either way there was some serious clashing it seems about the direction of the sequel.

4. Ujio Registered

The stylized aspect of Deadpool was my favorite part of the film. Raunchy humor is fun but it doesn't usually hold up in turns of replay ability.

#SaveTimMiller

5. -JKR- Registered

TWEETS
    @colliderfrosty

@cbumbray

6. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

Man the pr machines are out to make Miller look bad.

7. Ujio Registered

Miller is such a cutie pie. Why would anyone want to hurt him?

8. Nathan Registered

I wonder why Reese and Wernick didn't side with Miller. Didn't they also prefer a budget that isn't that much bigger from the first one? Have we actually heard anything from them yet?

9. -JKR- Registered

Yup. Of course they are gonna do everything to make HIM look bad. He's the one who's not on the movie anymore.

We don't really know what's what yet, as there are conflicting reports, and the one who really seems to know what went down doesn't really come (Steven Weintraub from Collider) forward with it (and he probably has his good reasons for not going into details). But to me it seems like Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are pretty close friends with Ryan Reynolds (he's also currently working on another movie which was written by them), so I can see why they didn't side with Miller.

And if you think about it, Reynolds did record his audio commentary with the writers, while Miller recorded his with Rob Liefeld. And I've always found it pretty curious that Tim Miller was barely present during the pre-release press interviews (but maybe I'm looking too much into it).

#334 -JKR-, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  10. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

Writers are treated like the lowest form of scum in Hollywood. They aren't going to quit a lucrative job just because the director did. And I don't blame them one bit.

11. -JKR- Registered

And also this, of course.

12. Nathan Registered

And Reynolds did pay Reese's and Wernick's salary for the last Movie out of his pocket. So I guess there's obviously loyalty here.

13. Abudefduf Registered

Uh... this is what Miller said a few months ago in an interview. So, either he's changed his mind since then, or he's got a split personality.

14. -JKR- Registered

He did not pay their salary for the last movie out of his pocket. He paid for them to be on set out of his pocket, which is different.

Well, Steven Weintraub seems pretty sure that it's not about him wanting a bigger budget.

15. Nathan Registered

Ah, I see.

16. Mike Murdock Registered

I felt ambivalent fully crediting the previous El Mayimbe article. I'm glad this one got posted so I can call complete crap on this. Everything Miller has said is that he didn't want the bigger budget that would dramatically change the movie. I certainly don't think he'd want to go from 60 million to 180 million.

17. -JKR- Registered

El Mayimbe does have some good scoops sometimes (i.e. Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker, Deahtstroke being the 'Batman' villain), but this latest article seems unlikely.

And Collider's Steven Weintraub already called BS, and he sounds like he knows what went on behind the scenes.

BTW, this tweet caught my attention a couple of days ago, but the guy never talked any further about it.

[​IMG]

#342 -JKR-, Oct 25, 2016
  18. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos (P)

Per usual, the truth will surface once the dust settles. Eh Maybe has been right once in a blue moon, but I honestly think I could make up scoops on my own and be almost as accurate as him in the long run.

I'd be very curious to see what the actual creative differences were. This looked like everyone's golden ticket, so the rift between Reynolds and Miller must have been quite severe.

19. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

It sucks that things were that contentious.

20. -JKR- Registered

I just hope Ryan Reynolds and Co. know EXACTLY what they're doing, and we won't be here talking about how "the sequel was okay, but could have been much better."

21. Nathan Registered

If true, it's sad to find out that there was already so much bts drama on the first Movie.

22. -JKR- Registered

Not really. Because it seems like Miller's and Reynolds' different views led to a great movie. And one thing I love the most about it, is how the movie really offers both slick action and pathos and insane, raunchy comedy.

I doubt it would have been as good if it was more one-sided. Creative push and pull is a good thing, and often leads to more interesting solutions.

With that push and pull now being gone, it's all on Reynolds. And what I'd like people to remember is that even on the first one a bad or average director could've taken that script and turned into a mediocre movie. Most people don't seem to get that.

23. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Oh noez! Not $150 million!

That's on a smaller scale for CBM's and as good as the first one is, they need to expand the scope a little bit instead of carbon copying the original.

24. -JKR- Registered

I hope that the team behind Deadpool 2 understands that bringing in Cable widens the scope anyway, and also calls for a bit more pathos as he is a character with a more 'classically epic' story.

They can't just use him in a similar fashion to Colossus. He needs a bit more meat to him to really work. If they don't want to make a proper Cable & Deadpool (or Deadpool & Cable) movie, I don't think they should've included the character just yet. Those two have a real history together.

They're pretty much like Murtaugh and Riggs. You don't just leave out the more serious parts of Riggs losing his wife and being suicidal or Murtaugh's worries about his family and his old war pal's daughter, and ultimately his daughter to just skip to the laughs.

I hope their take sans Miller isn't just "let's skip to the raunchy humour."

#349 -JKR-, Oct 25, 2016
  25. Nathan Registered

Increasing the scope a little bit is fine. But I don't like the reports that say they want a Movie that can compete with the mega-budget superhero Movies. I'm not sure I want a Deadpool Movie that can compete with Civil War or Age of Apocalypse in scope.