Days of Future Past Time travel method and ripple effect thread

CyclopsWasRight

Well, he was.
Reaction score
What we know

• Kitty and Professor Xavier will play a factor in the time travel method.
  • Wolverines mind will travel back into his younger selfs body.

The problem with the time-travel that i can see is that in pretty much all other media the events of the past occur in real time and the events in the future are instantly changed due to the events in the past changing.

No matter which way they do it they'll be telling the stories in both eras ('1973' with Logan, and the First Class cast and 'The Future' with the original trilogy cast) in real time, that's gonna prove difficult.

For an example, if Wolverine in the past changed something then logically it would cause a ripple effect that changes the events of the future instantly. But since the future as it is is part of the flowing story and not subject to change right away.

So how do we think they can tell a flowing story with both eras without Logans meddling in the past causing a ripple effect to instantly alter the events of the future and allow the future part of the story to continue throughout the movie?

__

Perhaps Xavier and Kitty while linked to Logans mind are outside of time with the events of their time changing around them. This would however have the rest of the OT cast change around them.

Its possible the dark future stays the same in a fixed universe.

How'd you mean "fixed universe"?

Since the movie is supposed to fix stuff in the continuity it would have to change some of the future era

These are good questions, and Singer seems to be looking at time travel with this...dilemma in mind.

At the Fantasia Film Festival he had this to say (my transcription might be a little off):
Q: Time travel has always been a staple of science fiction. What are some of the pitfalls in working with the time travel sub-genre?

A: Well, it was tough to crack. It took me a little while to figure out what my rules of time travel are, and um, there are movies that--Especially a movie like Back to the Future, it really all takes place in the past, and your one grounding element is this photograph that keeps fading. So it's trying to find a device like that for a movie that has things happening in the past simultaneously with what's happening in the future. So I won't get into the specifics of it but I sort of came up with a formula of how it would work and then I adhere to it, I stay true to it.

Perhaps Xavier and Kitty while linked to Logans mind are outside of time with the events of their time changing around them. This would however have the rest of the OT cast change around them.
That's not a bad idea.

I hear that an alternate universe will be created JJ Abrams style.

I guess Wolverine just can not stay in the past ? He does not really age so he can wait it out

I hear that an alternate universe will be created JJ Abrams style.

That's meerly speculation and some users desires.

At comic con he talked about keeping some contunity and has talked about fixing a few things not erasing everything..

Bryan Singer went to James Cameron for advice.Remember the terminator has time travel actully cause the future that the machines are trying to change.

Plus Singer has made the back to future compassion a couple of times.That's a bit different than the Abrams Trek.That Is hinting at them keeping certain things in contunity and using time travel to remove other things.Basiclly what Singer
and others want to maintain they can.And things they don't can be changed.

That's meerly speculation and some users desires.

At comic con he talked about keeping some contunity and has talked about fixing a few things not erasing everything..

Which still pretty much confirms it. Doesn't matter if certain things are kept or if it's not as drastic a change as Star Trek, it will be a changed timeline regardless. Things will not be the same.

Last edited:
Which still pretty much confirms it. Doesn't matter if certain things are kept or if it's not as drastic a change as Star Trek, it will be a changed timeline regardless. Things will not be the same.

The "I am Believer In some contunity" he says it will not be repeat of Abrams Trek.With exception of Leonard Nimoy nothing really lines up with pre2009 Trek.
Keeping certain things Intact is very opposite of what abrams did with trek.Pls some things in 1973 part of DOFP are already starting to lineup with previous films.

Doing it like trek 2009 would kill X-force or any other spinoff since there Isn't a full X-Men team yet.

The "I am Believer In some contunity" he says it will not be repeat of Abrams Trek.With exception of Leonard Nimoy nothing really lines up with pre2009 Trek.
Keeping certain things Intact is very opposite of what abrams did with trek.Pls some things in 1973 part of DOFP are already starting to lineup with previous films.

Doing it like trek 2009 would kill X-force or any other spinoff since there Isn't a full X-Men team yet.

Read my post again. I'm not saying he is doing changes that will be as significant as Star Trek. Singer definitely confirmed things will be different and he has no problem making changes to the previous films. Hence a changed timeline. There are similar things going on.

I'm gonna make my response to this simple and short.

It won't erase the events of X1, X2, X3, TW and OW. I think it would just erase the existence of the Sentinels/the Sentinel program.

It may not just be the sentinels.It could also be certain things from Last stand too.

If there Is any truth to Cyclops and Jean rumors that Is how that would work however that remains an If.

Bryan Singer's fix a few things comments hint at something being changed but very doudtful we will get a massive change that happened with Star Trek.

We still don't know what exactly the time travel is trying to change.One idfference from most time travel stories Is we should be getting a cut between future and past to remind audence of the stakes plus report say at some point kitty Is suspose to be injured requireing them to get rogue so WOlverine will be able to return.If they show what happens after time travel at end of film it's likely wolverine may be audence point of view with his mind returning to altered future.

Jean and Cyclops aren't gonna be resurrected like magic just because the past and future are changed especially the Sentinel program/Trask Industries have nothing to do with them.

If they appear at the end of the movie, I think it will probably because of something different (related to the plot of the next movie), not because they altered the timeline.

Last edited:
Cyclops and Jean Grey won't be resurrected as a by-product of time travel in a movie about changing one's past to save the future, but they will be resurrected in said film as part of the plot of a yet to be announced sequel that comes sometime after the likely X-Force?

Messy or what. Its not so different compare to people suggesting Apocalypse to show up at the end of the movie. Sometimes, the end of the movie hints what's in store for the next movie or for the sequel, like for example, X2/The Wolverine.

Last edited:
Jean and Cyclops aren't gonna be resurrected like magic just because the past and future are changed especially the Sentinel program/Trask Industries have nothing to do with them.

If they appear at the end of the movie, I think it will probably because of something different (related to the plot of the next movie), not because they altered the timeline.

Nope.

Cyc is gonna be back by the end of this flick. When Singer says "Fix" he's mostly talking about one thing. If Cyclops wasn't dead, there would really be minimal issues to carry on. He's the biggest issue.

If the studio or Singer does not use this chance to bring back Scott then we are ****ed. He is essential for the future of this franchise. X-Men without Scott Summers is some flat out bull ****.

Last edited:
Just because Cyclops will return at the end of DOFP, it doesn't automatically mean its because Logan/the team changed the past.

Anyway, for me, its better if they connect his return to the story of the next film. It would give Cyclops more to do and his return would have more meaning compare to popping out of nowhere because Logan/the team changed things in the past.

Just because Cyclops will return at the end of DOFP, it doesn't automatically mean its because Logan/the team changed the past.

I'd say theres a strong chance that because of the changed past by Logan and the FC crew... Cyclops will return.

Changnig the past to effect the future is kind of what the films about. If there is one thing to change it's Cyclops death.

I'd say theres a strong chance that because of the changed past by Logan and the FC crew... Cyclops will return.

Changnig the past to effect the future is kind of what the films about.

If Cyclops will return because Logan/the team changed the past then Jean Grey has to comeback too then. Since Jean Grey was responsible for the death of Cyclops.

Anyway, they aren't going to the past to resurrect Cyclops, if thats the case, then maybe they should have went to a different time period, like when Jean was younger then isolate or prevent Jean from becoming a X-Men to avoid the events in X2/X3, you know something like that.

Last edited:
If Cyclops will return because Logan/the team changed the past then Jean Grey has to comeback too then. Since Jean Grey was responsible for the death of Cyclops.

There are no rules right now. No one has to return with anyone. They can do what they wish. Everything will effect pre X1. Not inbetween X2 and X3.

Last edited:
There are no rules. No one has to return with anyone. They can do what they wish. Everything will effect pre X1. Not inbetween X2 and X3.

Then that doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, they don't have to connect the return of Cyclops to the end-result of the time-travel mission.

It would be wise if they did.

And why? Cyclops is not even present in both time periods. He has no role in the story at all. I know bringing back Cyclops is like a big request from the fans. But like I said, they aren't going to the past to save Cyclops. Their mission is about another subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"