Days of Future Past Should DOFP be used to reboot the X-Men franchise?

Can we just close this ****ing thread already? Absolutely nothing is getting "discussed" around here, and it's just constantly going around and around in a big circle of insults and repeated arguments where no one is listening to another. It's pointless for this to even exist by now.

Definitely do not need a "Part II" thread for this one, once we hit 1000 posts. One more post to get there... :cwink:

I said I was done posting til we got a new trailer, but felt compelled to respond to the following:

It's bad storytelling because it's UNNECESSARY storytelling.

I see. And what does "necessary" storytelling look like?

It's bad storytelling because the time travel isn't to undo a horrible event, it's to undo the 6 movies that came before Days Of Future Past so that they never happened.

You quite simply don't know that at this point.

And that still doesn't explain how it is, in itself, "bad storytelling" in terms of execution.

And last I checked, in the context of the X-Men mythology, the Days Of Future Past storyline was never used to reboot the continuity and toss out everything that came before it.

And the first X-Men story wasn't designed to introduce Wolverine and Rogue, yet X-MEN was. What's your point?

But yes, "it already happened" is exactly the reason why it should remain. No, it never should have happened, with that I agree, but if things that have happened are undone wily nilly just because, then there's no credibility left in the franchise, because there's no consequence to the events of the story. It will all just be washed away, ignored and undone whenever it's felt like.

That's even worse than the initial killing off of a character that never should have been killed off in the first place.

And if this was a oneshot film, and someone died, I'd say "Yes, leave them dead. Bringing them back just cheapens the death". Except that in this case, it's an X-Men movie.

Moreso than any other comic book franchise, this is one of the aspects of X-Men comics that is unique and key, dating back to the 70's. The X-Men suffer huge losses, but they rarely stay dead. They live multiple lives, in multiple timelines, in multiple guises, etc.

And that's one of the bad parts of the comics.

Why kill people off if they are just gonna be brought back from the dead later?

Sounds more like a bad daytime soap opera than quality literature or film to me.

That's just the nature of the beast. Revivals in comics is as common as breathing air.

Sounds more like a bad daytime soap opera than quality literature or film to me.

I hate that, too. I see no problem in doing it ONE time in a more or less "LOGICAL way" (like it's probably going to happen in DOFP), but in the comics it happens so often a death means nothing.
And the way they doing it sometimes, like with Nightcrawler in Amazing X-Men now, it drives me nuts.

That's just the nature of the beast. Revivals in comics is as common as breathing air.

That doesn't make it a good trait that should be brought to the film verse.

I hate that, too. I see no problem in doing it ONE time in a more or less "LOGICAL way" (like it's probably going to happen in DOFP), but in the comics it happens so often a death means nothing.
And the way they doing it sometimes, like with Nightcrawler in Amazing X-Men now, it drives me nuts.

agree. It works for me for characters like Jean Grey where it fits the logic of the character and makes her something unique. But not when its done over and over for everyone.

But I disagree its logical in the case of DOFP. "Time travel herp derp" reeks of awful daytime soap storytelling to me.

Alot of people like that current story though. It was received well. Should the creators/filmmakers/writers ignore the majority and go with the few who don't like it? Their goal is to satisfy the majority,create a good story and be successful. Thats the goal. If every fan had their pov everything would be a damn mess. More so then it is.

As far as the films. I really think they are trying to pay as much respect possible while moving forward. Singer is in control, those are his films hes not gonna purposely try to ruin that. Really surprised at some of the negativity from OT fans without even have seen the film.

Last edited:
But I disagree its logical in the case of DOFP. "Time travel herp derp" reeks of awful daytime soap storytelling to me.

If you do it just one time and the rest of the film is good, i think no one will really bother and we'd still have the advantages i wrote about earlier.

Alot of people like that current story though. It was received well. Should the creators/filmmakers/writers ignore the majority and go with the few who don't like it? Their goal is to satisfy the majority,create a good story and be successful. Thats the goal. If every fan had their pov everything would be a damn mess. More so then it is.

As far as the films. I really think they are trying to pay as much respect possible while moving forward. Singer is in control, those are his films hes not gonna purposely try to ruin that. Really surprised at some of the negativity from OT fans without even have seen the film.

Totally agree to your second paragraph, but I have to say something to the first one.
There are only around ~150 000 people buying these X-titles, it's a specific crowd, the GA, which matters for the movies success would imo hate moves like the Nightcrawler-Return, at least the it's way they did it.

Totally agree to your second paragraph, but I have to say something to the first one.
There are only around ~150 000 people buying these X-titles, it's a specific crowd, the GA, which matters for the movies success would imo hate moves like the Nightcrawler-Return, at least the it's way they did it.
Of course, Im not saying adapt that storyline. Thats better set for a cartoon ep if anything. Im talking within that comic audience on Amazing X-Men.

Because there is story and character exploration value to those concepts. To both their death, and their return.

I see...are we now pretending that comics and soap operas don't have something in common?

At least now we are admitting that the comics have serious trends of piss poor writing that should never be adapted into a serious medium like film.

Comments like these are why some were questioning your fandom Nell. Just saying. :cool:

If DoFP brings Cyclops back from the dead that will hardly be a crime against the laws of good story-writing. You have to remember that the concept of life after death is the bane of belief for billions of people who don't even read the comics. It is part of human culture across the world. The idea goes back to Genesis itself. And comics are just one medium where this concept has been fantasied ad nauseum. They are stories which is essentially another synonym for soap operas anyway. :dry:

Jean's love for Cyclops is the one thing left of her humanity and fuels her need to sacrifice herself with some of her humanity in tact rather than live as this dangerous goddess?
-Check

Wait. When did this happen in X3? Jean didn't make ONE comment about Scott in the 3rd act of that film. It was LOGAN whom she asked to "save" her. Scott's body cells were still floating around in the air at that point and couldn't do s*** to help her crazy ash.

So no, the last time we saw Jean's love for Cyclops was in X2. They shared all of 30 seconds together in X3. There is no way in bad place that any of that was faithful to the source material. :o

It was the fact that she was the one that killed Scott that was the only thing that would bring the human part of Jean back in control. It was her love for Scott that was the one thing that kept pulling her back.

She asked Logan to "save her" because he's the only one that could. But she wanted to be "saved" because of what she did to Scott.

And this was a theme that was prevalent throughout the movie. For all the people that say Scott left without a whimper, the fact that she killed him sure came up an awful lot throughout the movie, and everytime it did, the human part of Jean came back into control.

Also, Caliph, I'm not going to sit around and let people dictate whether I'm enough of a fan or not because I do or don't like the "right" elements of the comics.

I can dislike aspects of the comics and still be a fan of the characters and stories the same way I can be a fan of the movies and still dislike specific aspects of them the same way I can hate Cyclops dying but still have X-Men: The Last Stand as my favorite of the main trilogy.

People, yourself included, need to get over this need to judge someone else's fandom because that person doesn't like the "right" elements. You're better than that man. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"