Days of Future Past Time travel method and ripple effect thread

And why? Cyclops is not even present in both time periods. He has no role in the story at all. I know bringing back Cyclops is like a big request from the fans. But like I said, they aren't going to the past to save Cyclops. Their mission is about another subject.

There is only one thing that needs "fixing" via altered timelines. I'm all up for hearing what needs more "fixing".

Cyclops isn't just a request with fans. He is a requirement for the franchise.

Bryan Singer mentioned "fixing" in his interviews, but he did not say, all these fixings will be done by altering time periods. They fixed Beast's look in DOFP and they didn't have to alter the past to do that.

Cyclops could just appear at the end of the movie w/o an explanation why he came back and just let that be a teaser to whats in store for the next movie. Cyclops' return doesn't have to be a product of the time-travel mission.

And another thing, if they are gonna resurrect Cyclops because they changed in this past, it would be odd if they are gonna left out Jean Grey.

Bryan Singer mentioned "fixing" in his interviews, but he did not say, all these fixings will be done by altering time periods.

Singer said If you believe in certain physics and mutiverse's things will change.

The changes will be done through time travel. It's confirmed. Why the hell would they change time to make changes then go back and make more changes to Cyclops's fate. That is over doing it by a long shot.

There will be changes through time travel, I just don't think Cyclops popping out of nowhere at the end of the movie will be one of them especially when Cyclops has nothing to do with events of the movie.

Story-wise, I feel it will be better if they tease Cyclops' return as the story for the next movie rather than popping out of nowhere because they live now in an altered time period. It would definitely give Cyclops more to do in the next movie, the focus could be on Cyclops for a change.

What are you gonna expect when Cyclops returned because they altered time periods. Is he suddenly going to have more development? Are we gonna see him mourn Jean Grey's death again? Or is it back to the old Cyclops again that we saw in the previous movies?

What are you gonna expect when Cyclops returned because they altered time periods.

We just need to know he's back. After this film I would hope they would get their act together and realize that this is the most important X-Men character.

Don't care how anyone breaks it down. He's essential and they need him back. This franchise ****ed up big time by leaving him out as much as they did.

And why? Cyclops is not even present in both time periods. He has no role in the story at all. I know bringing back Cyclops is like a big request from the fans. But like I said, they aren't going to the past to save Cyclops. Their mission is about another subject.
Just because Scott isn't the focus of their mission doesn't mean whatever mucking around they do won't have an effect on other things. In fact, unintended "side effects" like that are pretty common in time travel movies. And Singer did suggest that there would be changes as a result of the time travel in DoFP. This is his full quote from when he was asked at SDCC if he was going to make changes to the continuity of the previous films:
A: Of the universe as established in the movies?

Q: Yes.

A:Yes, there is some of that.

Q: Okay.

A: Whenever you're going back in time -- and this is every bit as much a time travel movie as it is an X-men movie...um, you...there is those risks. So, and yet there are certain... yeah, so some of that's going to happen, and yet there are some things that, um, you know, if you believe in certain physics, multi-verses and...things like that, and then you also have a respect for the continuity as we have it.

But mine is...I'm less so entraped in those previous films, and again I'm not the audience I'm just the film-maker, but I do believe in certain continuity that we'll maintain but some things will change. It's the nature of time travel: you go back and mess about, things happen. So that's something that -- some of those rumors are probably -- somewhat true.
That being said, when it comes specifically to Scott, I'm inclined to think Fox just DGAF about him. They CAN bring him back, and DoFP is a golden opportunity for it. I'm just not so sure they want to.

We just need to know he's back. After this film I would hope they would get their act together and realize that this is the most important X-Men character. Don't care how anyone breaks it down. He's essential and they need him back. This franchise ****ed up big time by leaving him out as much as they did.

It sounds like you want him to be back just for the sake of it and its Cyclops. Its better if they map this out carefully, that they aren't just bringing Cyclops back because people want him back but they are bringing Cyclops back because they actually have a new story about Cyclops to tell.

Anyway we shall see, if Cyclops returns because of mutants time-traveled to different time periods and changed time periods. Fine but I just don't think as a character, he would automatically improved in the next movie. But if they already have a story in store for him from the moment that they brought him back, then thats gonna be more promising.

Last edited:
It sounds like you want him to be back just for the sake of it and its Cyclops. Its better if they map this out carefully, that they aren't just bringing Cyclops back because people want him back but they brought back Cyclops because they actually have a new story about Cyclops to tell.

No. While I will argue to the death he he is essential, they actually have a golden opportunity to bring him back wihtin the story. And alot of interviews back up that this issue will be fixed. There is no greater issue that needs fixing.

It sounds like you want him to be back just for the sake of it and its Cyclops. Its better if they map this out carefully, that they aren't just bringing Cyclops back because people want him back but they are bringing Cyclops back because they actually have a new story about Cyclops to tell.

Anyway we shall see, if Cyclops returns because of mutants time-traveled to different time periods and changed time periods. Fine but I just don't think as a character, he would automatically improved in the next movie. But if they already have a story in store for him from the moment that they brought him back, then thats gonna be more promising.

The studio never seems to have cared much about Cyclops so I don't think they would agree to the character returning unless a very good story idea is put forward.

There are lots of stories that see Cyclops play a central part. They could involve Sinister (like in the animated series, where he needed Cyclops and Jean to create a perfect strain of mutant) and also Apocalypse (there's a story where Cyclops is one of the The Twelve needed by Apocalypse to evolve into a god).

Singer would soon be able to come up with a great story concept that put Cyclops in a key role. Sinister and Apocalypse seem like very likely villains to appear in the franchise next anyway.

Adding the Sentinels then taking them away wouldn't be fixing anything from previous movies, it has to be something more

I reckon X3 will have play out differently in the new canon after DOFP and Jean or atleast Scott will never have died. How they do that however would be interesing since the events of X3 are not the subject of the time travel or anywhere near the era.

It could be as simple as 70s Charles seeing in Logans mind what happened to Scott and then as lives out his life upto that point in time, he prevents that from happening by sending the whole X-Team to stop Jean when she ressurects at the beginning of X3. Thus she never kills Scott.

Think of it like Marty's letter to Doc about the Libyans killing him. Doc wore the bulletproof vest and changed his fate even though he and his death in 1985 were a part of the time travel of that movie, he had information about the future and used it. Prof X could do the same by preventing Scott from going alone to Alkali Lake.

No. While I will argue to the death he he is essential, they actually have a golden opportunity to bring him back wihtin the story. And alot of interviews back up that this issue will be fixed. There is no greater issue that needs fixing.

I haven't seen anything regarding Cyke from DOFP news. other than that one of James Marsdan with Halle Berry on a flight near the filming.

Last edited:
i think its very possibly time travel will bring back cyclops AND JEAN!, i know many think cyclops will come back alone but i don't think you can bring one back without the other when she was the one that killed him in first place

but as for would singer use time travel to bring them back... yeah why not? time travel is a way to do it, it can be done

Last edited:
I don't think they will be coming back, and based on the one rumor we've had, it would simply be fanboy wishful thinking that left most of us disappointed after TLS. Different director, different management, yeah, yeah, yeah... but it's still big time wishful thinking.

The way to do it is probably Logan dropping hints to Xavier. Or Xavier gathers this information by reading Logan's mind. Do those memories/flashbacks affect Xavier and the X-Men's actions in the future? I don't see why they would not. In that sense, I could see them adding a scene where Cyke and Jean reunite with Logan at the end, with a completely different set of circumstances having played out. Then you can flesh that out in FC3. But I think the general audience reaction would just be, "WTF, how did these guys come back too?"

So yeah, I don't see it. Probably just focuses on the events that set the Sentinels in motion. Singer's "fixing things"??? We can only speculate.

There are lots of stories that see Cyclops play a central part. They could involve Sinister (like in the animated series, where he needed Cyclops and Jean to create a perfect strain of mutant) and also Apocalypse (there's a story where Cyclops is one of the The Twelve needed by Apocalypse to evolve into a god).

Singer would soon be able to come up with a great story concept that put Cyclops in a key role. Sinister and Apocalypse seem like very likely villains to appear in the franchise next anyway.

That what I want to see! :woot:

I don't think I would hope Cyclops to get more role if he just magically appeared at the end of DOFP and his return is not related to the plot of the next movie.

There's been alot of wishing from the CBM community on wanting Cyclops back. Fox needs to be aware of that, as not bringing him back could lead to a backlash and have fans leave the franchise.

I'd like to see my above ide come to fruition or have them introduce a young Cyclops to the 70s team.

Cyclops has never been important to the movies, but hopefully they realise he can be and bring him back to use him to his potential.

Assuming there Is another pre OT film the 1970's would be too Young for teenage Cyclops
especilly If OT Is being retconned as taking place around 2012/2013.

Now back In 2011 there was talk of doing 2 followups to first class 1 In 1970's and other In 1980's.

There's been alot of wishing from the CBM community on wanting Cyclops back. Fox needs to be aware of that, as not bringing him back could lead to a backlash and have fans leave the franchise.

I'd like to see my above ide come to fruition or have them introduce a young Cyclops to the 70s team.

Cyclops has never been important to the movies, but hopefully they realise he can be and bring him back to use him to his potential.

They obviously need to come up a great story with his return. Tease it his return in DOFP, then focus on it in the next movie.

So I'm not gonna be totally excited if the reason why he magically returned is because of some mutants altered the time periods. I feel like if that happens, we're back to the Cyclops that we saw in the original trilogy, he's there but he's not really the focus/the big piece to the story.

I think everyone's going to be disappointed and we won't get Scott or Jean or back. Wouldn't be surprised at all. Hell, I think everyone is reading into this way too much honestly.

Personally I can't see singer or anyone making a movie with the return of cyclops by Mr sinister cloning him or something random and kinda silly like that which is an attempt to make this undeveloped character important with nothing to go on, they probably would with wolverine and have a whole film based around it Because wolverine has always been that character that gets all the important moments, probably less likely but they would be more likely to do it with jean then Scott because she has always had a more important role then cyclops

I honestly think jean and cyclops will return together, singer has never said he only wanted to bring back cyclops and we would be lucky to even get them back with time travel given they ain't wolverine, magneto or xavier

All that they have to go on with cyclops development is jean... They gonna throw that away? Probably not, so even if we don't see them at the end of the film I really think time travel will bring them back, singer has a door to do it and it can be done in a way that makes sense and kills 2 birds with one stone

Last edited:
Assuming there Is another pre OT film the 1970's would be too Young for teenage Cyclops
especilly If OT Is being retconned as taking place around 2012/2013.

Now back In 2011 there was talk of doing 2 followups to first class 1 In 1970's and other In 1980's.

Well in Origins he was around 16 and that was in 1979 so they could do an 80's movie with him.

I think everyone's going to be disappointed and we won't get Scott or Jean or back. Wouldn't be surprised at all. Hell, I think everyone is reading into this way too much honestly.

Bingo. People will build this expectation up in their minds and if it doesn't happen they'll blame Fox for their own unrealistic expectations.

Time travel can change anything if singer chose too, obviously its a very technical subject and singer can just tackle it lightly and don't think to much about it and have it all be the same by the end of the film with just the sentinels changes or he could take advantage of what time travel can do, create his own rules and fiddle with things the way he wants

Either way once Logan meets younger xavier a certain amount of things will change along with the sentinels, unless singer decides screw logic

Hopefully Singer is aware of the fans likes and dislikes and adjusts the timeline thusly. Now is the time to change things about. It's their biggest movie yet and has an easy way (time travel) of changing things about.

I'm not hoping for Cyclops and Jean to appear in DOFP, I just hope they will make a sequel to the movie right away and release it in 2016.

The thing is though, if Singer said that he plans on fixing or changing some things through means of time travel, then I really doubt that the only thing that'll change after Wolverine goes back into the past will be the Sentinel war in the future coming to an end.

If everything else remained the same, other than the apocalyptic future, then it's really not changing or fixing anything that's already been established.

If we look at what ought to be 'fixed' in the 'present day' timeline (post 'The Wolverine' and pre DOFP future) what is there other than what was left after X3?

Some continuity hick-ups that are not really a huge deal? Or the deaths of 3 major characters?

I'm not saying they are bringing Clyclops or Jean back back (and Charles is already back), as I am inclined to think that boat has sailed, but I am curious as to just how Singer's 'new' present day X-Men timeline will be different than the post X3 one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"