World Tobey Maguire vs Andrew Garfield: Dawn of Who's Better

BH7E2ul.gif

no-crying-in-baseball-steve-goad.jpg

dammit... THERE SHOULD BE NO CRYING IN A SPIDER-MAN MOVIE!!! :argh:

Tobey made a better Peter Parker.

Andrew made a better Spider-man.

The only time I thought it was really inappropriate for Tobey's Peter to cry was the breakup scene in Spider-man 3. That was just too much. He's supposed to be more aggressive because of the symbiote and he's crying because he got dumped?

He wasn't wearing the symbiote in the break up scene. He took it off after he snapped at his landlord. Next time he wears it is when he finds out Harry is MJ's other guy she supposedly dumped him for. If a guy crying when the gal he loves dumps him for someone else is inappropriate, then the moon is made out of cheese.

He wasn't wearing the symbiote in the break up scene. He took it off after he snapped at his landlord. Next time he wears it is when he finds out Harry is MJ's other guy she supposedly dumped him for. If a guy crying when the gal he loves dumps him for someone else is inappropriate, then the moon is made out of cheese.

Amen.

I really like that scene BTW. Sure,you can beef if MJ should've gone along with Harry's threat from a storytelling perspective. But I'm saying that scene was acted so well. When MJ starts crying and Peter takes out the ring,it still gets to me. :csad:

The fallacy about Andrew being a better Spidey needs to stop. Tobey's Spider-Man did his main job well which was: being a hero aka SAVING PEOPLE! That was his priority instead of some dumb quips, he didn't run from the villains like a little girl either. Spidey action in the Raimi films is still unmatched. Funny quips shouldn't be the only factor when deciding which one was better and even then Tobey's Spidey persona was more subtle, he was confident and brave which was a great contrast to his Peter Parker.

It's you who's out johnny! Out of your mind!

"Run from villains like a little girl" is a tad harsh though, when did peter Porker run?

Everyone I rewatch the Raimi series I am a tad underwhelmed by both peter and Spiderman, I don't hate that interpretation, and there's lots of bits I like, but I felt like there wasn't really a dynamic spark to either of the characters, Tobey was pretty two toned and his Spidey was pretty flat and essentially one dimensional, doesn't mean what we got was bad, its more what we didn't get.

Andrew wasn't perfect either but he had lower lows and higher highs and the spiderman aspect of it felt much more in line with most people other Spidey interpretations we've seen, especially in the movement

It's you who's out johnny! Out of your mind!

"Run from villains like a little girl" is a tad harsh though, when did peter Porker run?

Everyone I rewatch the Raimi series I am a tad underwhelmed by both peter and Spiderman, I don't hate that interpretation, and there's lots of bits I like, but I felt like there wasn't really a dynamic spark to either of the characters, Tobey was pretty two toned and his Spidey was pretty flat and essentially one dimensional, doesn't mean what we got was bad, its more what we didn't get.

Andrew wasn't perfect either but he had lower lows and higher highs and the spiderman aspect of it felt much more in line with most people other Spidey interpretations we've seen, especially in the movement

F3B08fe.gif

I dunno why everything thinks "more quips" is the only reason people vote for Andrew. Honestly that only plays a small part for me. I'm mostly voting for his version of Peter rather than Spidey actually.

It was totally an attempt at humor. His whole behavior in that scene was a poor attempt at humor. Most of his quips and attempts at being funny were forced and cringe worthy.

I dunno why everything thinks "more quips" is the only reason people vote for Andrew.

Probably because it's usually the main argument his fans use to prop him up as best.

Last edited:
It was totally an attempt at humor. His whole behavior in that scene was a poor attempt at humor. Most of his quips and attempts at being funny were forced and cringe worthy.

Probably because it's usually the main argument his fans use to prop him up as best.

I don't know if that was really an attempt at humor or not but in that scene he has angry about his uncles death and had just gotten his powers not long before and was still not the responsible spider man yet. Is that a knife I am affarid of small knifes thing was tolder spider man like humor though and was great.

While when it comes to sm a big part of his personality is his humor and garfields humor come off very natural compared to tobey and just way more sm like. Tobey's spider man didn't really seem any different then his peter did. Tobey's spider man come off flat and unconfident just like his peter did. Tobey after he becomes spider man he didn't really change at all another then in sm3 when he is acting like a jerk. Garfields peter on the another hand after he becomes sm acts more confident after words and just nails it has sm.
Then you have scenes like with the kid that are just great. Also you have the emotional scenes like that's my boy and where gwen dies that just blow any of the emotional scenes by tobey out of the park! When gwens shows up at the power plant you can hear the anger and the wordness in his voice big time.

Some people have talked about Garfield and the movies and said that people liked gafield more because they where new and on a honey moon fase and that is just BS! Even like a month or 2 before asm2 come out a lot of people where prasing Garfield much much more then now. So you are saying that people where in a honey moon fase more almost 2 years lol yeah right get out of hear. The only reason people are saying a lot of what they are saying is because most people thought asm2 sucked and was much worse then asm1. If asm1 had been even = to asm1 in most peoples eyes then Garfield would be getting way way more prase then what he is getting. Even a lot of people found sm3 to be better then asm2. Tobey and Garfield is no contest. Garfield is like a LeBron James one of the best ever where Tobey is good like a Dwan Wade but not even close to James. If Garfild got a movie like sm 1 and 2 in quilty then Garfield would be getting much much more prase and we wouldn't even be have this kind of decations at all. Asm2 just killed this whole thing.

For Garfield to even be compared to Lebron, TASM had to accomplish something. Critically, financially, the TASM series has finished behind at least 2, 3 for TASM2 in the theater, reviews and even with DVDs.

LeBron has 2 rings and been to the show what like 4 times?

Think you can compare Garfield to Jeremy Lin.

Last edited:
I don't know if that was really an attempt at humor or not but in that scene he has angry about his uncles death and had just gotten his powers not long before and was still not the responsible spider man yet. Is that a knife I am affarid of small knifes thing was tolder spider man like humor though and was great.

He pretend sneezed a web shot into the guy's crotch. He gagged him with a web and comically said ssssshhhhhhh. He got on his knees and mocked that he was afraid of small knives. Then the Cops show up and he's making a big song and dance with the yo yo yo line that they were here.

The whole scene was him making one stupid joke after another. The fact that he was supposedly looking for his Uncle's murderer and was acting like a clown doing it just makes him look even worse.

While when it comes to sm a big part of his personality is his humor and garfields humor come off very natural compared to tobey and just way more sm like. Tobey's spider man didn't really seem any different then his peter did. Tobey's spider man come off flat and unconfident just like his peter did. Tobey after he becomes spider man he didn't really change at all another then in sm3 when he is acting like a jerk. Garfields peter on the another hand after he becomes sm acts more confident after words and just nails it has sm.
Then you have scenes like with the kid that are just great. Also you have the emotional scenes like that's my boy and where gwen dies that just blow any of the emotional scenes by tobey out of the park! When gwens shows up at the power plant you can hear the anger and the wordness in his voice big time.

You couldn't be more wrong. Garfield's Peter didn't change in personality between becoming Spider-Man. He had no trouble talking to girls, he stood up to Flash's bullying other students. The only difference between him before and after becoming Spider-Man is he had the powers to actually make Flash look like a fool, but he never lacked the confidence to stand up to him before he was Spider-Man. There is no difference between his two personalities. Andrew wasn't able to differentiate. Tobey could.

When Uncle Ben died, Tobey's grief was believable. When Aunt May broke down about how much she missed Uncle Ben, and we saw the guilt and pain in Tobey's face, it was believable. When Tobey's Peter confessed to his part in Uncle Ben's death to Aunt May it was believable. When MJ found out Peter was Spider-Man and the heart to heart they have about it, it was believable. Tobey's emotional scenes trump Garfield's without even trying.

Andrew's was not believable on the whole. Lets compare the two scenes for example where the love interests find out the truth that he's Spider-Man. Tobey's was a powerful emotional moment where Peter and MJ stare at each other with a mixture of love and and surprise. Then that great heart to heart chat they have in the web afterward.

Garfield's scene with Gwen involved him webbing her by the ass and pulling her in for a kiss. It perfectly sums the difference between him and Tobey's Peter. Cocky, arrogant, and unlikable. Really lacking in emotional qualities.

Some people have talked about Garfield and the movies and said that people liked gafield more because they where new and on a honey moon fase and that is just BS! Even like a month or 2 before asm2 come out a lot of people where prasing Garfield much much more then now. So you are saying that people where in a honey moon fase more almost 2 years lol yeah right get out of hear. The only reason people are saying a lot of what they are saying is because most people thought asm2 sucked and was much worse then asm1. If asm1 had been even = to asm1 in most peoples eyes then Garfield would be getting way way more prase then what he is getting. Even a lot of people found sm3 to be better then asm2. Tobey and Garfield is no contest. Garfield is like a LeBron James one of the best ever where Tobey is good like a Dwan Wade but not even close to James. If Garfild got a movie like sm 1 and 2 in quilty then Garfield would be getting much much more prase and we wouldn't even be have this kind of decations at all. Asm2 just killed this whole thing.

It's not BS. It's totally true. This thread proved it. Any polls here Garfield won always happened within weeks after one of his movies was released. Same reason why that piece of crap TASM 2 came in second place on this poll because it was made weeks after TASM 2 was released;

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=481331

This thread was made many months after TASM 2, and before the Marvel deal was announced, too, and Tobey kicked Garfield's ass in the poll. It wasn't even close, in spite of some of the Garfield fans trying to cheat with multiple account voting.

The kool aid drinking honeymoon period is over for Garfield and the better Spider-Man won the poll. People are judging these actors on performances, not movies. It's why Gwen, in spite of being in two awful Spider-Man movies, is more liked than MJ, even though the movies MJ was in are much better.

Last edited:
Andrew's was not believable on the whole. Lets compare the two scenes for example where the love interests find out the truth that he's Spider-Man. Tobey's was a powerful emotional moment where Peter and MJ stare at each other with a mixture of love and and surprise. Then that great heart to heart chat they have in the web afterward.

Garfield's scene with Gwen involved him webbing her by the ass and pulling her in for a kiss. It perfectly sums the difference between him and Tobey's Peter. Cocky, arrogant, and unlikable. Really lacking in emotional qualities.

Exactly. That's the perfect comparison. A lot of people praise the romance in the Garfield films, but the truth is they were written particularly poorly. It's just Emma Stone and her chemistry with Garfield that makes it work at the level that it does. (and since they were dating at the time, it would be difficult for them not to have chemistry!)

Disagreed it was attempt at humour because he make lots of other jokes in that scene not just stupid yo yo yo boys in blue line. He was trying whole scene to be funny and he just look like cheesy fool lol. But he always look like that when he try to be funny. So did humour with villains like Electro and Rhino.

Garfield humour never funny and always feel unnatural. Humour is worst part of ASM movies especially with Spider-Man bad quips. Garfield only good emotional scene is when Gwen die and I didn't think it was that good anyway because Gwens death was not done well. All of Garfield other emotional scenes were poor and Tobeys were much better and felt more emotional. Raimi and Tobey much better at it then Webb and Garfield. Tobey emotional scenes were more moving and filled with heart.

Alot of people did only like Garfield because movies are new and he was new. Now he and his movies will always lose because they not new any more and everyone can see how bad they are. Tobey win this poll now and Garfield fans act so angry and upset lol.

He pretend sneezed a web shot into the guy's crotch. He gagged him with a web and comically said ssssshhhhhhh. He got on his knees and mocked that he was afraid of small knives. Then the Cops show up and he's making a big song and dance with the yo yo yo line that they were here.

The whole scene was him making one stupid joke after another. The fact that he was supposedly looking for his Uncle's murderer and was acting like a clown doing it just makes him look even worse.

You couldn't be more wrong. Garfield's Peter didn't change in personality between becoming Spider-Man. He had no trouble talking to girls, he stood up to Flash's bullying other students. The only difference between him before and after becoming Spider-Man is he had the powers to actually make Flash look like a fool, but he never lacked the confidence to stand up to him before he was Spider-Man. There is no difference between his two personalities. Andrew wasn't able to differentiate. Tobey could.

When Uncle Ben died, Tobey's grief was believable. When Aunt May broke down about how much she missed Uncle Ben, and we saw the guilt and pain in Tobey's face, it was believable. When Tobey's Peter confessed to his part in Uncle Ben's death to Aunt May it was believable. When MJ found out Peter was Spider-Man and the heart to heart they have about it, it was believable. Tobey's emotional scenes trump Garfield's without even trying.

It's not BS. It's totally true. This thread proved it. Any polls here Garfield won always happened within weeks after one of his movies was released. Same reason why that piece of crap TASM 2 came in second place on this poll because it was made weeks after TASM 2 was released;

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=481331

This thread was made many months after TASM 2, and before the Marvel deal was announced, too, and Tobey kicked Garfield's ass in the poll. It was even close, in spite of some of the Garfield fans trying to cheat with multiple account voting.

The kool aid drinking honeymoon period is over for Garfield and the better Spider-Man won the poll. People are judging these actors on performances, not movies. It's why Gwen, in spite of being in two awful Spider-Man movies, is more liked than MJ, even though the movies MJ was in are much better.

Most of the jokes in the car jacker scence where just great and sm like. I can understand the thing about him and going after his uncles killer but again my point was that at that point he wasn't the responsible sm we know yet and in the comics before he became sm and was responsible he was a jerk to and thought just about him self. The boys in blue joke was stupid but his delever on it was spot on but it was a stupid joke to have in there in the first place.

lol no you couldn't be more wrong before Garfield became spider man. Yes he stood up to flash but that just showed that peter is a good person witch just makes the whole peter is a jerk thing just look stupid. Before he became sm he came off akward and after he became sm more so in asm2 he comes off less akward. Yes he talked to gwen but he still come off very akward and shy. Tobey on the another hand comes off very akward and that doesn't change at all in any of the sm movies another then sm3 and in sm3 he is more of a jerk then any of the another sm movies. Tobey is just has akward before and after he becomes sm no difference at all. So it is tobey that wasn't able to differentiate not Garfield you got it back words.

Yes when uncle ben died Tobey was believe able but Garfield was even more believe able then tobey when the same thing happened in asm. When ant may brook down about missing uncle ben yes it was believe able but Garfield's that's my boy was just has believable. Garfield's emotion scence will gwen dies and when she is at the power plant is better then any thing in sm 1-3 that tobey did by miles.

This thread doesn't prove any thing as it came out after asm2 a movie that people hated so the whole kool aid thing is just stupid and not true at all. So you are telling me that people just happened to lose the kool aid effect right when asm2 came out and that asm2 reception had nothing to do with that? Give me a break. Even right before asm2 came out ever one on hear was loving Garfield and at that point in time asm had been out for just about 2 years. Garfield didn't come of even close to cocky or arrogant at all. All the talk about sm/peter parker being a jerk in these movies just proves that no matter what if we get a sm/peter parker who makes jokes like in the comics, cartoon, comics ect that people are not going to be satisfied and are going to say he is a jerk. We finaly get a sm that acts like sm and now sm is chessy and a jerk man people don't get sm I guess. Sad that we finaly get a good sm and now people don't want that and want the quite unconfident peter parker again.

Disagreed it was attempt at humour because he make lots of other jokes in that scene not just stupid yo yo yo boys in blue line. He was trying whole scene to be funny and he just look like cheesy fool lol. But he always look like that when he try to be funny. So did humour with villains like Electro and Rhino.

Garfield humour never funny and always feel unnatural. Humour is worst part of ASM movies especially with Spider-Man bad quips. Garfield only good emotional scene is when Gwen die and I didn't think it was that good anyway because Gwens death was not done well. All of Garfield other emotional scenes were poor and Tobeys were much better and felt more emotional. Raimi and Tobey much better at it then Webb and Garfield. Tobey emotional scenes were more moving and filled with heart.

Alot of people did only like Garfield because movies are new and he was new. Now he and his movies will always lose because they not new any more and everyone can see how bad they are. Tobey win this poll now and Garfield fans act so angry and upset lol.

I am not surprised you and joker would say that because you 2 are like the 2 people I see on hear that hate on asm2 for the most nickpick wrong reasons. I truly belive that not matter what they did that you and joker would have hated asm and asm2 just because no tobey.

Last edited:
Another thing if people liking Garfield was because he was new and asm2 reception didn't make a big difference then why where people loving Garfield right up in till asm2 came out so for like 2 years? Why where people all of a sudden hating on him after asm2 and not before asm2? It really took 2 years for people to loss the kool aid effect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"