World Tobey Maguire vs Andrew Garfield: Dawn of Who's Better

So, I was thinking, what does the internet really think about this topic? We've got our own little poll here, but it's nice to venture out.

I've collated a pretty hefty sample size through various online polls, from a large number of websites, and whilst rough, I've got some pretty interesting results.

Next thing on my list is to test Joker's "Kool Aid" theory by graphing the data on a time vs vote basis. Ie, 2012 2000 Andrew Votes, 1800 Tobey Votes. 2014 2100 Tobey Votes, 1700 Andrew votes.

I'd appreciate if you guys could help me find more polls, there's a link to all the polls thus far in the google doc that I'll share with you all.

At the moment, Andrew Garfield has a lead of about 6%. Early days, but I was a tad surprised to be honest.

Sources and such here; https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9mbjlOUr-mlTHM5dnB4bllSaWc/view?usp=sharing

Feel free to add more polls if you're up for it. Try to open in excel if you can.

rnHeLAR.png

In the long run I think Tobey will always be remembered as Peter Parker/Spider-Man by the GA and Andrew will just have his small following.

In the long run I think Tobey will always be remembered as Peter Parker/Spider-Man by the GA and Andrew will just have his small following.

To be honest on principle I think you'd be right but the numbers I'm getting are saying no. Rather odd isn't it?

SM1-2 had a huge impact on cbms and society but I think if MCUspidey is good tobey will be forgotten a bit, as garfield will be the guy who was replaced by the definative Spidey

I think with the new Spider-Man, it'll take away the votes more from Garfield then Maguire. It's hard to hang your hat on, Garfield's portrayal of Spider-Man is better when it's situated in a divisive franchise. While, you can also slightly say that Maguire votes are stemming from nostalgia, I think it's more because the movies were better received.

To be honest on principle I think you'd be right but the numbers I'm getting are saying no. Rather odd isn't it?

SM1-2 had a huge impact on cbms and society but I think if MCUspidey is good tobey will be forgotten a bit, as garfield will be the guy who was replaced by the definative Spidey
I'm more interested when you start adding in the time vs vote aspect. But if I'm reading you correctly, you said that the Maguire votes increased in 2014? That does lead some credence that the shine has come off the apple?

I don't even think it matters anymore. I love Tobey Maguire, and I also have an appreciation for Andrew Garfield. If the new Spider-Man overshadows them both, then so be it. Tobey will always be remembered as the first Spider-Man. Andrew was the Spider-Man from the failed reboot. And then the upcoming actor will get to be in the MCU, which is huge. Maguire and the next actor will be landmark actors for Spider-Man while Garfield is crushed in the middle.

I don't even think it matters anymore. I love Tobey Maguire, and I also have an appreciation for Andrew Garfield. If the new Spider-Man overshadows them both, then so be it. Tobey will always be remembered as the first Spider-Man. Andrew was the Spider-Man from the failed reboot. And then the upcoming actor will get to be in the MCU, which is huge. Maguire and the next actor will be landmark actors for Spider-Man while Garfield is crushed in the middle.

this...

If the girl of my life broke up with me then I would probably break down crying as well. I don't think there is anything unusual about it and I'm confused as to why people poke at it so much.

I concur.

Yeah, no doubt about it. Spider-Man was trying to be funny but the scene fell flat for me. It was actually pretty hard to watch.

Thank you :up:

Tobey's version wasn't as yappy as Andrew's but that doesn't mean he was a bad Spider-Man. I always enjoyed seeing Spidey go, "WOOO HOOO!" while swinging through the streets of NYC. You really feel his transition from this ordinary kid into a god like super hero, and I think that was really missing from the TASM films. There is nothing about Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker that feels different before or after becoming Spider-Man. He is just consistent throughout the two movies and that's terrible.

Tobey's Spider-Man felt more like a release from the stresses of his everyday life. I felt his burden, and I think that's why people relate to him. This is best represented in Spider-Man 2. Being constantly put down and told off, and then going for a web swing to mentally escape. With Garfield, Spider-Man felt more like an extention of his everyday life. Case in point he's shown to be a skater, etc.

:up: :up:

I agree. Garfield, like his TASM movies, will overall be forgotten or not fondly remembered by the general consensus for obvious reasons.

I'm more interested when you start adding in the time vs vote aspect. But if I'm reading you correctly, you said that the Maguire votes increased in 2014? That does lead some credence that the shine has come off the apple?

Bingo. And you'll see Tobey's lead keep increasing now that there will never be another opportunity for Garfield's new shine to come back and sway people temporarily again.

as time and years go by, I guarantee you that it'll be Tobey who'll be remembered as Spider-Man in three successful movies... Andrew will end up as an asterisk as the actor who replaced Tobey for a failed reboot series of two movies before being dumped for a new actor in an yet another reboot and being part of the MCU... that'll be the legacy of the Spider-Man movies of the early part of the 21st century... THAT'S the fact of the matter, plain and simple, all bulls**t arguments and debates aside...

Indeed, in fact, most polls are pro Tobey except two big ones.

If you base it purely off % then Tobey wins, and I'm just doing the math in my head whilst eying the stats off, about 56-44, which is significant.

Time over votes is where the party starts, will let you know when I've finished going much more in depth.

But my conclusion, on a rudimentary level, as a garfield fan, is that Tobey is objectively more liked, except in 2012.

and in 2013. i remember when TASM was released many people say that this was Andrew's biggest breakthrough. despite some controversy i saw nothing but good things about his performance. but, thanks to TASM 2 it's sad to say that all that love and attention is slightly dire. there are still people out there that love him in the role and with everything that's going on i don't believe his chemistry with Emma Stone would fade away

No, rough stats say that's not true, but I've only found a couple of 2013 polls. It's going to be a bigger process so you could be right.

As it stands, couple of extra polls have changed things a tad so that means that others I haven't found could have the same effect.

Are you spider knight?

Too bad the general audience doesn't vote on those polls, Im sure who they would prefer...

Too bad the general audience doesn't vote on those polls, Im sure who they would prefer...

By definition you can't be sure though can you? Other then people who actually explicitly registered a vote on A vs T of course.

Don't let the graph scare you, I think it's a anomaly at the moment and Tobey will probably go out on top in the end. I'll work on it a bit harder over the next couple of days

I preferred red goblin, the reboot sucked, bronze just isn't the same

By definition you can't be sure though can you? Other then people who actually explicitly registered a vote on A vs T of course.

Don't let the graph scare you, I think it's a anomaly at the moment and Tobey will probably go out on top in the end. I'll work on it a bit harder over the next couple of days

Im not the one who needed to look for other polls in order for Andrew to have the lead so if anyone is scared, its not me. I mean, that Andrew fan went to the trouble of creating a bunch of accounts to inflate Andrew's votes and he still lost lmao the need to give so much credibilty to vocal minorities has always been unnecessary.

Yeah,I think it's pretty clear Tobey is the Chris Reeve of Spider-Man actors. The first and best remembered when the films were made with a director's vision.

Garfield is the Brandon Routh. Appreciated by many, but still, a dull performance in a film/films no one really asked for.

The new guy will probably be received as Superman's Cavill. He'll look like he stepped straight from the pages and will please people with a more "modern" take on the character.

IS the Spider-Knught back AGAIN?!?... DANGER, DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!... LOL...

Im not the one who needed to look for other polls in order for Andrew to have the lead so if anyone is scared, its not me. I mean, that Andrew fan went to the trouble of creating a bunch of accounts to inflate Andrew's votes and he still lost lmao the need to give so much credibilty to vocal minorities has always been unnecessary.

K

So you think there's no merit in collating as many polls as possible to find that consensus? Only the ones where your favourite wins matter?

This is of course ignoring the fact I actually said it's likely Tobey will win overall but I'm not too positive you care to be honest

No, rough stats say that's not true, but I've only found a couple of 2013 polls. It's going to be a bigger process so you could be right.

As it stands, couple of extra polls have changed things a tad so that means that others I haven't found could have the same effect.

Are you spider knight?

You saw it on here with SM3, X:WO, SR and X:TLS. Fans are very excited over something shiny and new. Then you see the real strength of the movie. It's been almost a year since the 4 2014 CBMs came out and let's just say there's no "does this movie deserve the hate" in the other respective forums.

Even some of the polls in 2014 were done days within the release of TASM2. It's those 4, 5 and 6 months after its release that I'm more interested in. I'd like to see those polls and not the ones bumped from say 2012 when people were excited about something new.

You saw it on here with SM3, X:WO, SR and X:TLS. Fans are very excited over something shiny and new. Then you see the real strength of the movie. It's been almost a year since the 4 2014 CBMs came out and let's just say there's no does this movie deserve the hate in their respective forums.

Even some of the polls in 2014 were done days within the release of TASM2. It's those 4, 5 and 6 months after its release that I'm more interested in. I'd like to see those polls and not the ones bumped from say 2012 when people were excited about something new.

Yep, that will most certainly be considered

Yeah,I think it's pretty clear Tobey is the Chris Reeve of Spider-Man actors. The first and best remembered when the films were made with a director's vision.

Garfield is the Brandon Routh. Appreciated by many, but still, a dull performance in a film/films no one really asked for.

The new guy will probably be received as Superman's Cavill. He'll look like he stepped straight from the pages and will please people with a more "modern" take on the character.

:lmao::highfive: what a PERFECT description...

I don't remember the TDK trilogy being subpar?

Your comment karma on Reddit is shocking SK, -30 now isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"