Tom Cavanaugh IS Harrison Wells/Eobard Thawne/Reverse-Flash

Discussion in 'The Flash' started by Batmannerism, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarsingerguy Who am I?

Yeah, I don't think for a second that Wells is Grodd, but that's a hell of a creative idea.

2. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Would it have been better not to show that Wells could actually walk and that he had some sinister tendencies until maybe a few more episodes into the show or maybe half way through the season? They could've portrayed him as a straight-up good guy and mentor for a while before showing this twist that he has knowledge of the future and is not all he appears to be. Or at least they could've done that for an episode or two.

3. guitarsingerguy Who am I?

Idk. It's definitely got us talking, and it hasn't retracted from anything.

4. The Shape In the shadows

I like that they revealed that right away and have continued to pepper us with sinister moments. It's more interesting to watch because we, the audience, know he's up to no good and has alterior motives...but Barry and the core characters don't. Everything Wells says and does has a certain weight that wouldn't exist if he seemed like the straight-up mentor.

Plus, it allows them to pull an even bigger twist with Eddie, who so far appears to be on the straight and narrow.

5. Orb Lord of Demons

In this trailer we can see Wells talking to somebody-perhaps someone from the future? Who could it be?

0:36 and 0:53

6. Mike Murdock Registered

I'm going with Wells being Professor Zoom (I'm amused that this thread has turned into "who is Professor Zoom" rather than "who is Wells"). That being said, I think there might be a bit of a twist. It seems to me that he's more about shaping Barry than defeating him. It gives him a motivation to be a hero that wouldn't exist otherwise.

That being said, Eddie Thawne obviously shares the name of Professor Zoom if we're switching to that topic.

7. The Sage The World's Finest

Wells definitely must be Zoom based on tonight's episode. Either that or connected to him.

8. Donut Registered

What if Wells is Eddie Thawn from the future ?

9. Pickleweasel Registered

I don't think he is Zoom cuz that's too obvious

10. regnak Registered

I agree.

11. marvelrobbins Registered

Well wells Is looking more likely to be reverse flash after tonight.Still it could be a misdirection.

12. Mike Murdock Registered

Honestly, after that ending, I'd say it's a little too telegraphed. Granted, I don't think the show is known for its subtle writing so far but that seems a bit much. On the other hand, who else knows about what he's doing besides Wells?

13. regnak Registered

Eddie saw him looking at the case at the station.

14. DrCosmic Professor of Power

They've handled this perfectly.

The problem you run into, if HG isn't Reverse Flash then who is? If it's not HG Wells, it's Eddie Thawne, who is also too obvious, but for a totally different reason. So it's like, did they hide in plain site with Eddie, or are they going somewhere with Harrison? It's a perfect catch-22 mystery.

15. The Shape In the shadows

They are very much leading us in the direction of Wells being Zoom right now, and based on what was revealed tonight, it would make sense somewhat. My original theory was in line with what several other people here had thought. Here are two posts I read previously of similar theories to mine:

"Wells I am pretty confident is the Reverse Flash...he went back in time to kill Barry's mom but when he did it there was a time warp and it took his powers from him since it cut him off of the negative Speed Force because Barry hadn't become The Flash yet to make the regular Speed Force for Reverse Flash to siphon off of yet....so he stays in the present and becomes a great scientist with his knowledge of future tech and tries to make sure Barry becomes The Flash so that he can become The Reverse Flash make the negative Speed Force and go back to his timeline."

"He maxed out his reach into the negative speed force when he came back in time to kill Nora Allen. He pushed himself so hard to accomplish that feat that he has been powerless since and stuck in the present (relative to his future anyway). Which is when he adopted the Harrison Wells persona and plotted to ensure that Barry eventually becomes The Flash thus creating the speed force which would then lead to Wells/Eobard Thawne getting his powers back."

The conversation Joe and Wells had tonight had some interesting tidbits, like the fact that Wells shadily moved to Central City a month after Nora was killed. Wells pointed Joe in the direction of the death of Tess Morgan, his "wife", to move suspicion away from him. However, Wells could easily have been lying about this, and this story was that of the REAL Harrison Wells, a man whose identity was taken on by the Reverse Flash after he was trapped in this timeline. He took on this new identity and quickly devoted his life to making sure Barry would one day become the Flash -- and that he would survive and thrive and develop his powers until Reverse Flash use Barry to regain his own speed force.

One thing that doesn't gel with this theory is the fact that we just saw the Reverse Flash using his powers at the end of this episode. If he didn't lose all his speed force, he might have lost enough to prevent from from time traveling. His being trapped in this time might also have something to do with the Cosmic Treadmill we'll be seeing. Who knows.

As we all know, there have also been other little hints along the way with things Wells has said or done ("Feels like I've waited centuries for this"). Also, he's become such a huge presence on the show, a character who has his hand in multiple nefarious things, and he seems to know quite a bit about what happens in the future. It would be weird if he WASN'T a major baddie or someone from the canon on this point. It would also be strange if he was just a pawn working for the show's Eddie Thawne. I'm not sure how that would make sense.

Eddie, on the other hand, might be a character they've included to become a present-day Reverse Flash or Zoom. We all know there are more than one of them in the comics. This show could be focusing on a time-traveling Zoom from the future this season, and in later seasons, Eddie Thawne gets speed powers somehow.

Of course, Wells could just be the most massive red herring of all time and Eddie could be the true Reverse Flash as of now. It would just kind of be a twist that isn't earned because I don't think there's been one hint about Eddie being more than what he seems thus far.

16. Rowsdower! Registered

Whoa, does Wells middle name begin with a G? If so, then that makes it even more obvious that he's a time traveler (HG Wells).

Come to think of it, I believe the main character in The Time Machine also had a dead wife, though I may just be thinking of the (awful) Guy Pearce movie.

17. DrCosmic Professor of Power

^They haven't given his middle name, but I know it starts with a G, whatever it is. :)

18. BLACKVULCAN Token Black Superfriend

my idea.not like anybody asked but...

Wells= Professor Zoom
    Eddie= Reverse Flash

Wells is the brains and Eddie is the muscle! i personally think the producers went with making them 2 different people instead of the same as in the comic!
    but who ever he is... that Wells guy is very very bad dude!!

19. Rowsdower! Registered

Haha nice. I missed that.

20. Derrick9592 Registered

Hmm brains and brawn. You could actually be right now thinking about it. It does make a lot of sense after seeing last night's episode. I really do think that Wells is Zoom though.

21. mocomic Philistian by choice

Eddie Thawne is a red herring. May be Zooms ancestor. Wells is the yellow flash whether reverse or professor zoom.

The back off intimidation too convenient .

22. BatsDC Side-Kicker

They're making it far to obvious if Wells is Reverse Flash.

And quite frankly, at this point since it's so expected it wouldn't have any impact. He'll be someone else.

23. Derrick9592 Registered

I know! I'd be so mad if he turns out to be someone else instead of Zoom. There were numerous hints of him through each episode that made me think he really is Zoom the whole time.

24. cleverusername8 Registered

I like the idea that many have had that Eddie is a stand-in for Malcolm Thawne (Barry's separated-at-birth twin brother who becomes Cobalt Blue... also the ancestor of Eobard Thawne/Wells).

25. jrmtz543 Registered

In the previous week's episode, Wells mentioned how, when you lose something, you'll do anything to get it back (paraphrase).

I initially thought this confirmed his identity as Zoom (lost his powers and needs Barry to create the speed force to regain them).

However, in last night's ep, Wells referenced his dead wife / partner. I believe Wells intends to use Barry to go back in time and save his wife, and he will stop at nothing--even murder--to achieve this goal.

So I don't think Wells is Zoom anymore. I believe Eddie's Zoom.

Anyway, just an idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.