The Flash The Flash season 2 episode 11 "The Reverse Flash Returns"

Even with Iris, she was already in danger the moment it became publicly known that she's met with and dealt with the Flash. Her not knowing his ID doesn't protect her from people coming to kidnap her. The only thing it does is prevent her from being forced to reveal the Flash's true ID, which is *incredibly* selfish behavior for a hero.

Maybe for Iris since she's a sitting duck based on the next promo. Telling her was a waste. Patty could have done more.
Iris knocked Colossus (Girder) unconscious without knowing Barry is the Flash.

Maybe for Iris since she's a sitting duck based on the next promo. Telling her was a waste. Patty could have done more.

:whatever:

Do you have an agenda against Iris or something? You're always bashing the character, we got it already, you don't like her and that's fine, but if the producers want Barry and Iris together, what are you going to do, stop watching? I don't care if they're a couple or not, I care more about the writing, the acting and the direction of the show overall, it's not as good as it was and many would even argue Arrow is better right now. The Berlanti formula is showing its limitations, maybe Warner has to hire new writers/producers to increase the quality of their shows, the Netflix series are so much better with their more ambitious production values and content.

The whole "If you knew my secret, it will put you in danger" mentality was always dumb.

Yeah. Its sort of a hold over from a time when nobody knew who the hero's secret identity was.

In a day in age in which the many of the MCU characters don't really have secret identities and other heroes like Flash, Arrow, and now Supergirl have teams of several people helping them, the whole "if you knew" mentality towards the person their in a serious relationship with is kinda pointless depending on the hero.

In the Flash in particular , Zoom already knows Barry Allen is the Flash , and knows who he cares about, so the whole rational in this case is silly and is more about creating conflict than anything else.

Indeed, despite being a better episode than the last two, there were a couple of very annoying issues. The whole break up was very Smallvillesque, maybe even worse, because Lana didn't even know Clark's secret, here Patty knows and just because Barry didn't tell her, she leaves. :whatever:
:lmao::loco: I know! It's pretty funny actually. Even in Smallville when a character discovered Clark's powers, they were perfectly understanding and easily accepted that he lies about them with little problem and let him tell them on his own time. Lana, Chloe and even Lois all were cool with it. Pete did take issue with it, but only because he and Clark had been friends since before grade school, I think and then only left after that because he couldn't stand the idea of what would happen if he accidentally betrayed him. The only person who took it to a real extreme was Lex. So, I guess: Patty as Zoom confirmed?!:lmao:

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Indeed, despite being a better episode than the last two, there were a couple of very annoying issues. The whole break up was very Smallvillesque, maybe even worse, because Lana didn't even know Clark's secret, here Patty knows and just because Barry didn't tell her, she leaves. :whatever:
With Barry's superspeed, a long distance relationship is easier to handle, it was very poorly written and a terrible way to end Patty's arc. On Wally, his introduction has been terrible so far, Young Justice did a brilliant job with the character, here is dull and Keiynan Lonsdale's performance is not helping either, too wooden. Hopefully, they will turn it around before the season is over.

People whining about the time travel stuff are funny. Logic has never been the strong point of this show, Barry could defeat anyone in a couple of seconds by just handcuffing them, they would never see it coming (except if they're speedsters), but they dumb him down so he can struggle enough to fill the action quota, voilà! I watch it for the characters and story, not time travel logic.
Smallville had lead me to fear one of two scenarios happening with the Patty romance. Either she was going to leave because he wouldn't tell her, or she was going to die if he did tell her. In a certain light, both happened.

I understand that in terms of romance and television shows, it's more dramatic and emotional when the hero doesn't have a relationship, but I would have felt a lot better had they handled this better. It really seemed to be rushed and come out of nowhere, and it really makes me feel like there was something that happened behind the scenes that forced them to write her off like this because I had the same thought, and almost expected Joe to bring it up. Barry could easily see Patty, and even though it would make things harder, I would have preferred they show that and have them mutually part ways, than to make Barry look so bad.

This episode was awesome, I can't wait to see more.

Reverse flash returning the way they portrayed it still didn't make sense. He isn't from this timeline, so how is he able to travel to a timeline he hasn't created yet? Also how could flash take the reverse flash, to a future that doesn't exist now (with a history of earth 1 Harrison not being murdered, etc). Didn't his vendetta against the flash start with the original future flash? This episode doesn't make sense. Maybe reverse flash being returned to his time, is proof that the original timeline still exists. If that is the case, maybe we could see the original future flash someday.

Last edited:
/\ didn't they imply that the Thawne that came back was possibly protecting himself in the speed force when Eddie killed and erased his future self?

That's what I took from Wells' time is a flat circle explanation. Which would in turn make him a non existent to then present timeline time anomaly like he was in the Flashpoint comic books.

I think what irks most viewers regarding time travel is its inconsistent presentation in the show. Most time travel stories use one of two approaches:

1. Anything changed in the past directly affects the future (Back to the Future).

2. The multiverse theory, in which a character doesn't really travel to the past but instead to a different universe set in a different time period. Thus, anything the character does wouldn't alter the future of the first universe, just the second (Michael Crichton's Timeline.)

If The Flash used the first version, all the events of Season 1 would've been undone by Eddie's death. If they used the second version, nothing Barry does would change anything in the original universe. Strangely, the writers seem to use a weird mashup of both, which makes certain occurrences difficult to follow.

Of course it's all fiction, but it would be nice if the story used an internal logic that made these impossible situations easier for viewers to accept.

I think what irks most viewers regarding time travel is its inconsistent presentation in the show. Most time travel stories use one of two approaches:

1. Anything changed in the past directly affects the future (Back to the Future).

2. The multiverse theory, in which a character doesn't really travel to the past but instead to a different universe set in a different time period. Thus, anything the character does wouldn't alter the future of the first universe, just the second (Michael Crichton's Timeline.)

If The Flash used the first version, all the events of Season 1 would've been undone by Eddie's death. If they used the second version, nothing Barry does would change anything in the original universe. Strangely, the writers seem to use a weird mashup of both, which makes certain occurrences difficult to follow.

Of course it's all fiction, but it would be nice if the story used an internal logic that made these impossible situations easier for viewers to accept.

The Speed Force. Yes it's that overpowered in the comics. It's the highway to infinite earths and timlines. People think it's hard to write for Superman, I feel sorry and I'm jelly of folks who have to write for Flash. He is Hermes. He is at the center of the DC multiverse and ties all those worlds together.

Trying to make sense of it all seems ultimately futile.

Last edited:
I thought this was a better episode than the previous ones. It was good seeing RF again and very interesting to see him learning about his enemy directly. Cisco vibing with the shades on was pretty cool. I'm glad that the Patty drama is done with even if they could have handled it a lot better by having her piece things together in different episode leading into a revelation about Barry=Flash.

Trying to make sense of it all seems ultimately futile.

I think part of the reason for confusion is that they should have explained it better. Perhaps let the audience know that while thawne got erased from this new timeline, the timeline he was born in still exists somehow. Explaining why a past version of him pr-erasure, was able to enter this new timeline. That him murdering barry's mom and killing Harrison wells, did not erase the timeline he came from but just started a new. We already have the multiverse existing anyways. So saying that Thawne not only time traveled but traveled to another timeline would be a good explanation.

Another issue besides the fact that Thawne doesn't come from the new future of Barry's timeline, is that Earth's 1's 22nd century has been taken over by Vandal Savage as showed in Legends of Tomorrow. So far that future has not been stopped and that war torn world isn't thawnes home.

The writers should have made the point to us, that not only was Barry taking Thawne back to the future, but he would be taking him to an alternate future.

LoT could have fun by making the inconsistencies of time travel be partially the result of the timeline collapsing due to all the time travel.

Damn Barry. I was reminded why I hated Smallvile so long. On other hand I love this show and timelines.

Last edited:
The best episode of season 2 so far for me. What I liked best was that Barry finally kicked somebody's arse instead of him getting his butt handed to him.

It was so good to see Reverse Flash aswell, I'm sure he'll be back.

Lastly, Jay Garrick on Earth 1 is Hunter Zolomon. Nice gave me some theories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"