Tom Hiddleston is Loki

Tom Hiddleston is great as Loki. He looks like Loki, sounds like Loki, and acts like Loki. :up:

Last edited:
He was definitely the best player in the film. The Ledger comparisons I heard were completely overblown (as well as Hiddleston performed him, the character simply wasn't as rich as the Joker), but I look forward to seeing him again.

I disagree. Loki had much more depth than Joker. Joker didn't really change throughout The Dark Knight. He didn't grow as a character. Unless you consider changing his mind about Batman as development... which i don't. His idea that morality is only applicable when it's convenient is good, yea.

Loki was sympathetic, he was despicable. He was somewhat justified in his actions, but at the same time you knew he had lost the plot a bit.

I actually think it'd be a disservice to label Loki simply as the "villain". There is so much more to him than just being the bad guy.

Yes, I also agree. The Joker was less an actual character/person and more or a force of nature. So saying he was a rich character really makes me scratch my head. About the only remarkable thing I can say about Ledger's Joker is something to the effect like "Wow, he sure was able to make me not recognize him as Heath Ledger in that performance". Loki(in contrast) had some depth to him yet didn't go too far in the sympathetic direction(unlike, oh Doc Ock). I still probably like Bridges's Obidiah Stane the most out of any supervillain I've ever seen on screen but I'd give Hiddleston's Loki the runner-up spot easily.

The title of this thread is correct:

Tom Hiddelston IS Loki.

Ain't no doubt about that.

The Joker is a rich character because he works both as a basic villain and as a metaphor - it's not about him evolving, the absolute he represents is his entire point and rich in of itself. He just a normal man and yet you often wonder if he came straight from bad place itself. And Ledger totally nailed that.

Maybe in the comic Loki is a really deep character (in fact Im sure he is), but here his arc was standard Shakesperian fare. That's not really a criticism as that's clearly what they were going for, but I think Hiddleston played him a lot better than he was written. I was taken by the performance far more than Loki's arc itself, if that makes sense. I never really felt sympathy for him because I was too aware of the script wanting me to feel sympathy for him. Again, not a criticsm really as Hiddleston still stile the show, and bring on the Avengers.

The Joker is a rich character because he works both as a basic villain and as a metaphor - it's not about him evolving, the absolute he represents is his entire point and rich in of itself. He just a normal man and yet you often wonder if he came straight from bad place itself. And Ledger totally nailed that.

Maybe in the comic Loki is a really deep character (in fact Im sure he is), but here his arc was standard Shakesperian fare. That's not really a criticism as that's clearly what they were going for, but I think Hiddleston played him a lot better than he was written. I was taken by the performance far more than Loki's arc itself, if that makes sense. I never really felt sympathy for him because I was too aware of the script wanting me to feel sympathy for him. Again, not a criticsm really as Hiddleston still stile the show, and bring on the Avengers.

Hmm, not sure how that would make any character a rich one. Usually when metaphor is thrown into the mix it means "make up you're own interpretation". Kinda like the entirety of a film like, say..oh 2001: A Space Odyssey can be seen as almost completely metaphor. You can read into it whatever you wish. As far as I could tell, it was just a bunch of stuff floating in space and no story. I think I prefer my characters more concrete.

Haha, well we're on very different pages then because 2001 is a film I would also describe as very 'rich' - the degree of subtext is actually kind of remarkable given how little happens - but fair enough on preferring the more concrete angle.

I wouldn't describe Loki as concrete though. I wouldn't even really call him an out and out villain. More like... a misguided protragonist?

I wouldn't describe Loki as concrete though. I wouldn't even really call him an out and out villain. More like... a misguided protragonist?

There was no doubt to me that Loki was meant to be seen as the villain in the second half, and even the build up to this was clearly signposted in the first half. Perhaps his origin as one of the Frost people would inspire an appreciation as to why he turned bad, but based on this film alone I'd never go so far as to call morally ambiguous. He was jealous and power hungry. Again, that's fine because that's what they intended and hiddleston did it well. The common complaint is that the film was rushed and maybe Loki's arc was slightly undermined because of that (for me at least) but I still greatly look forward to seeing him in the Avengers. In fact, he may have just become my number one reason to see the film.

Well I agree, Loki isn't as Obviously evil right off as Joker, and I did sort of feel sorry for him, yet, he had that certain jealously toward Thor even as a kid.
Where even Odin's words telling BOTH of them they were worthy to be Kings, Odin shouldn't have led Loki on like that for years even with his good intents. It backfired. The Sad thing for Loki is he wanted what Thor had, yet Odin KNEW that wasn't possible for Loki to acquire. Odin was only trying to give Loki the knowledge of ruling a Kingdom and give him Jontunheim.

There was no doubt to me that Loki was meant to be seen as the villain in the second half, and even the build up to this was clearly signposted in the first half. Perhaps his origin as one of the Frost people would inspire an appreciation as to why he turned bad, but based on this film alone I'd never go so far as to call morally ambiguous. He was jealous and power hungry. Again, that's fine because that's what they intended and hiddleston did it well. The common complaint is that the film was rushed and maybe Loki's arc was slightly undermined because of that (for me at least) but I still greatly look forward to seeing him in the Avengers. In fact, he may have just become my number one reason to see the film.

He was jealous and resented his brother... but at the same time, I sensed he truly did love him.

Like when he told Thor those lies at the SHIELD complex, I could tell it genuinely did hurt Loki. When he said sorry, I felt he did actually mean it.

And also, he genuinely believed that Thor as King would be bad for Asgard. Like Sif said, he might have Asgard's best interests in mind, but he is jealous of his brother.

That's a far cry from your usual comic book villain, or movie villain in general, really.

The scene where he is arguing with Odin in the Vault is just... amazing. Truly amazing. When he screams "TELL ME!!!!!" you can really sense both the anger and pain in his voice. So powerful, so heartbreaking.

Other great moments for me are when Thor is arguing with Odin about what to do with the Frost Giants, and without saying a single word, you can tell what Loki is feeling. Just with Hiddleston's facial expression.

Also when he is talking to Frigga over the sleeping Odin. When she is talking about Odin not waking again you can see the sorrow in his eyes. Then she mentions Thor... and the change in his face and eyes is just brilliant.

I'll have to look for that when i watch it again for the 3rd time!

as for the Loki Odin scene..
Favorite scene in the movie. Like that other poster, my heart sank. it just dropped, then as he continued to rant to odin, i could sense his anger and bitterness building, i really felt for him.

I have to add that it's so cute that both thor and loki are fighting for odin's love. When odin shows up during the huge fight, thor glows, FATHER! we'll Finish them together!!!
then odin goes "shut up!" or something like that. (silence, sshhh, cant remember)

or at the end loki was like "i did it for you father!" and he too, smiled. Then odin's rejection. lol. so loki let go.

lol who knew that odin was such an ash.

Hiddleston was perfect as Loki, his role was written pretty well but it was his performance that made Loki the best villain in a Marvel film to date.

My only complaint is that I would've loved to see Loki use alot more magical attacks, but he's a much better hand to hand fighter in the film than he's usually depicted as.

I was more curious why he was wearing a human business suit in the Thor+Loki interrogation scene, like why would he dress like a human at all? But yeah Tom Hiddleston stole the show for me, his acting was just so emotionally powerful.

I was more curious why he was wearing a human business suit in the Thor+Loki interrogation scene, like why would he dress like a human at all?

Yeah, that was odd - it's not like anyone could see him except Thor.

Yeah it was a little odd, but I think it actually looked pretty cool.

^^ Agreed. It made sort of a creepy vibe to him, if you ask me. I look foward to seeing Loki become even more of a menace in the Avengers.

Yeah it was a little odd, but I think it actually looked pretty cool.

Yeah he was pimping. I also really liked his Frost Gian look. Again i know they had to shrink the Giants down due to budget but the design still make them look fearsome and whatnot. :) Gosh i hope Loki is just doing little stuff in Avengers 1 and they make the 2nd movie all Loki focused like Ultimates 2, that'd kick-ash!

I saw it last night and I'll echo everyone's praise for Tom Hiddleston. Not only is he a fantastic interview (I could listen to him talk about the character all day) but he is a tremendous actor. Every facial expression he made told a story and I never truly believed a word he said, yet throughout most of the film I was very sympathetic towards him. I truly think he nailed the sly, secretive, and scheming Loki.

As for comparisons to The Joker, they are two different characters. As others have put it The Joker is merely "chaos made flesh" as if he just materialized in Gotham to challenge Batman. He is not a deep character or a master planner like Loki. Ledger's achievement was that every second he was on film he was the absolute center of attention and you just couldn't take your eyes off of him. Truly one the great characters in film history.

yea his accent is very smooth to listen to. he also wore his helmet alot in the movie, i wish thor would have worn his more.

After my third viewing, Tom Hiddleston was exceptionally great as Loki. In my opinion, he's one of the best portrayed villains in a Marvel comic book movie.

He was jealous and resented his brother... but at the same time, I sensed he truly did love him.

And you'd be right. Comic Loki has a huge case of Big Brother Worship when it comes to Thor, and he really can't bring himself to kill him. He has had plenty of opportunities to do so, but always goes to pieces (Thor has killed him many times before, mostly out of pity).

The envy comes from his own sense of inferiority and worthlessness. Heck, Loki: Blood Brothers explores this in detail.

Man Tom nailed Loki in every scene he was in, He played the master manipulator with such detail and precision that you couldn't help but enjoy his performance . IMO his best scene was with Odin after he discovers his true origins and confronts him with such fury .

I also loved the confrontation scene between him and Thor at the bridge gateway room where he admits his absolute jealousy of Thor as his main motivation behind his actions.

This guy walked away with the whole thing ..... the movie could have been call loki , when odin was telling him his backround I was like odin is such an ash in a way because he was saying your not good enough to rule my kingdom but I will give you this defeted one that your people didnt want you to be a part of . If he had told loki from the start when he was a child be like I am relying on you to rule this the frost giant kingdom and take your rightful place to bring peace and unite our two lands it might have been a different story it would have prehaps given him a sense of purpose but he chose not to and lead him on to thinking he might have a chance ... I never felt more sorry for someone in a movie especially a villian , Tom OWNED this movie .. I argree with you wynter .. loki and thor blood brothers is a fantastic look on his side of things in which when he talks to odin especially its like omg maybe he is right , you can really see where he is comming from .

oh and I loved his accent too and the grin he has on his face ... loved it :hrt::yay:... best comic book villian ever to be put on screen .. omg can you imagine him in the avengers .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"