Tom Hiddleston is Loki

I figured he was saying Loki's intentions weren't pure. Loki says, "I could've done it, father. For you!" Odin's "No" seemed to be meant for the "for you" part more than anything else, since it's pretty clear from Loki's actions that he was only ever really concerned with gaining power for himself.

I'm not so sure. Loki said he didn't even want the throne, just to be thought of as equal to Thor by his father. He could be lying there, but I'm not so sure.

And I think he genuinely believed that Thor as King would be a distaster. Really, would you disagree with him there?

It makes me think of the Loki mini series from 04.

Loki is overshadowed by his big, macho, warrior brother. But he feels he has something to offer Asgard, in his own, more conniving, perhaps diplomatic way. But Asgard is more about the warrior, the traditional hero, rather than the diplomatic type. Basically, he feels he is overlooked because brawn is thought of higher than brains.

I believe Loki thought Thor would make a terrible king at the time, but clearly Thor proved that he had changed on Earth with the Destroyer. Rather than reconsider, Loki kills Thor. That's flat-out jealousy and power-mongering on Loki's part. And, really, however much he tells himself he didn't want the throne, the fact remains that he took it for himself rather than try to install someone he believes would be a good leader. It's a bit like Lex Luthor, who genuinely believes that humanity could be truly magnificent if Superman stopped acting as a crutch, allowing them to be lazy and not look after themselves, but also believes that he should be the one to lead them to that magnificence.

Megalomania is certainly mixed into Loki's motivations--always has been. Probably springs from that selfsame resentment of Thor; if Loki is king, no one could ignore him in favor of his brother then.

Yea good points. I can't really disagree. There was some megalomania to Loki.

Such a complex character. Superbly written and acted.

Yeah, that's the reason Loki overshadows Thor even in the comics. He's an incredibly rich, complex, compelling character. They captured that in the movie too (albeit in a necessarily limited way, since they only had a couple hours). My friend actually came out of the theater going, "I felt really bad for Loki." I started grinning like a jackass and was all, "I know! You're supposed to!" :D

I would really love to see more of Thor and Loki's childhood in the comics, in fact. The period where Thor and Loki were genuinely good brothers who loved each other, before Loki's pettiness overcame whatever good feelings he had for Thor and Thor's arrogance overshadowed his better qualities.

I loved the part where Loki misses stabbing Thor with the spear, then ducking the hammer, then doing a pole vault kick, then just going "ha, haaa":woot: That just screamed comic book villain to me for some reason

I loved the part where Loki misses stabbing Thor with the spear, then ducking the hammer, then doing a pole vault kick, then just going "ha, haaa":woot: That just screamed comic book villain to me for some reason

I know it was awesome , the look of pure rage on his face was epic . He was really cool in the frost giant battle , using magic to trick the giants and the throwing knives .. hopefully we will see him fighting more in the future .

Haha, i know what you're saying. That was neat. Totally in character too. Where thor is large and powerful, loki is nimble and acrobatic.

Hiddleston's intensity during the scene where he confronts Odin about his lineage and the part at the end when he's saying to Thor "you haven't gone soft over that moral girl have you?" were masterful. He made a fantastic Loki and a great villain. I'm freaking stoked to see him in The Avengers.

Hiddleston's intensity during the scene where he confronts Odin about his lineage and the part at the end when he's saying to Thor "you haven't gone soft over that moral girl have you?" were masterful. He made a fantastic Loki and a great villain. I'm freaking stoked to see him in The Avengers.

Oh no doubt .... his acting in both of those two scenes were almost too good for the film.

I cant wait to see him in the avengers. He was my favorite part of thor. along with..thor

I can't speak enough on how impressed i was by Hiddleston as Loki.

He took the character, brought it to a cinematic level in every term and made it not only what you thought of when reading the comics, but also something of his own.

This movie was made with great actors in every role and it paid off, you have men who can easily do Shakespearian dialogue and scenes, playing these god like roles and making it seem not only real, but dignified and scary all in one, especially when it comes to HIddleston's portrayal of Loki.

I wanted to Hate Loki in this film... so wth am I team Loki all of a sudden? :huh: Really though, I enjoyed this movie very much.

I wanted to Hate Loki in this film... so wth am I team Loki all of a sudden? :huh: Really though, I enjoyed this movie very much.

since there's a shakesperean twist to the film, c/o branagh,
i think loki's the TRAGIC character in the film :)
that might be why.

doesn't hurt that the actor's amazing in it as well.

i read in an interview somewhere, after the famous TELL ME scene between loki and odin, after the cameras stopped rolling, Hopkins said "you got a manager? ... you're gonna need a really good one!"
i'll look for the source and post it later

^ Well, I sure believe he said it, that was an amazing scene.

Nothing wrong with that, Loki effects many people like that, it's part of what he does.

I really loved the scene toward the beginning of the film between Loki and Odin. When he shouted "TELL ME!!!!" at Odin, you could really feel the emotion and intensity in his voice.

Just saw it again. Still loved it.

freals, i hope there's a lot of BTS regarding hiddleston and loki in the blu-ray :D can't wait to see that stuff in hi-def!

If we thought he was awesome in Thor can you imagine what he is gonna be like in the avengers, OMG !. We may not know the plot but anytime Loki is involved **** is gonna go down and the fact it's gonna take more than Thor to stop him, I can only imagine the ten kinds of hell he is gonna raise.

The fact that Tom Hiddleston is playing him is the icing on the cake, he was born to play Loki.:yay:

Hiddleston was fantastic in the role, but the character needed more things to do. In fact it's a real testament to Hiddleston's skills that he managed to make an impact despite the character's actions being very basic.

Ledger Joker is still at the top for me. Loki though follows at 2nd.

I actually preferred Jack's Joker over Heath's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"