Tom Hiddleston is Loki

All I know is hemsworth better get to work on building up a thor like body, this guy has som serious work to do

Funny, I happened to catch Wallander yesterday for the first time, good show, and lo and behold there was Loki. This Hiddleston fella is a pretty good, i endorse this choice.

Hiddleston is a very inspired casting choice. He's definitely got the look down for Loki. Can't wait.

And it's true that they're going with the green and gold outfit according to the script right? I kinda liked the current JMS look that we saw in Thor #12 actually but I ain't complaining. It's clearly obvious that Branagh knows what he's doing. Man I so can't wait for this movie...and Captain America. Can't wait on casting announcements for that too.

Last edited:
The casting seems similar to Superman Returns. The experienced theater actor as villain with a no-name ex-soap actor in lead.

Well a comic book movie is only as good as it's villain. IMO anyway.

I know little about Loki, even less about the guy cast to play him, but a British thesp is nothing to sniff at. They do need one or two big names to draw the crowds in though.

So, we think Tom is just signed up for Thor, or will he be showing up in The Avengers too?

I'm still hoping for Branagh to play Odin.

And I can see that. Although I think they'll go slightly older.

I gotta say,...I'm still enthused with everything I've heard so far.

You guys go!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1189315/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Weisz-words-philosophy.html

A strict diet for six months? That IS a Thor point
Tom Hiddleston played the bad guy all the time when he was a kid. 'Me, my sisters and my cousins would put these plays on at the end of the summer and I would always be Captain Hook,' Tom told me.
Such background will come in handy when he plays the daddy of baddies, Loki, the arch-nemesis of Thor, the Norse thunder god.
Kenneth Branagh will direct Thor, which has a budget of at least $150 million (probably more) for the Marvel Comic people, with Chris Hemsworth in the title role and Tom as Thor's evil half-brother Loki.
Tom initially auditioned and then screen-tested to play Thor. But Branagh, who knows him well from the Wallander TV detective dramas and from when they shared the stage in the Donmar's Ivanov at Wyndham's, decided his talent would be better harnessed playing Loki.
Often, the villain of the piece has the best lines. Look at what Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger did with the Joker, and what fun Alan Rickman had baiting Bruce Willis in Die Hard.
'Loki's like a comic book version of Edmund in King Lear, but nastier,' Tom observed.
How much nastier? 'Well, Loki's skilled in black magic and scorcery. He's a shape-shifter and has all sorts of super powers from the dark arts. He can turn clouds into dragons, things like that.'
Between now and January, when Thor begins shooting, Tom has to keep himself fit and healthy.
'Ken wants Loki to have a lean and hungry look, like Cassius in Julius Caesar. Physically, he can't be posing as Thor.'
Before then, he will shoot more Wallander films, but right now he's about to go before the cameras in the Cranford Christmas special opposite Judi Dench. Jonathan Pryce will play his father, while Jodie Whittaker plays the lass his character (William Buxton) desires.
By the way, one of the toughest things about Thor will be to get the Shakespeare-meets-Dr-Who dialect from the comic books ('Let foes beware! We strike for earth - and the realm eternal!') to work on the big screen.
It certainly helps explain why actors such as Tom have been cast: they can speak proper, you know?

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/06/08/thor-villain-loki-could-show-up-in-multiple-marvel-movies/
‘Thor’ Villain Loki Could Show Up In Multiple Marvel Movies?
Published by Brian Warmoth on Monday, June 8, 2009 at 4:38 pm.
Samuel L. Jackson may not be the only actor signing a long-term deal to appear in multiple Marvel Studios films. With actor crossovers already occurring between “Iron Man” and “Hulk” cast members, and Jackson’s character Nick Fury set to show up in as many as nine of Marvel’s upcoming projects, there is a clear plan in play to establish characters with overlapping timelines and continuity across upcoming projects like “Iron Man 2” and “The Avengers,” among others.

Now, Marvel has confirmed that the big villain of 2011’s “Thor” could be one such character.
“Loki has those aspects,” Marvel’s president of production Kevin Feige said at a Marvel Studios presentation Sunday, according to FirstShowing.net. Thor’s classic nemesis, being played in the new movie by Tom Hiddleston, was also one of the first enemies to plague The Avengers in their regular comic book series, so it stands to reason that he would be under consideration to play big role in the evolving world of their films.

Additionally, Feige revealed that the Kenneth Branaugh-directed “Thor” movie would take place on both Earth and Asgard. So comics fans can expect to see Thor, who will be played by Chris Hemsworth, as well as Odin (possibly being played by Brian Blessed?), traversing the worlds of mortals and Norse gods alike.

Feige was quoted as saying that Marvel’s extended lineup of films is “ordered this way for a reason,” implying that some significant thought has been put into how ongoing storylines will be evolving.

Which Marvel characters and movie actors are you most interested to see meet face-to-face in future releases? Are you glad to hear that Loki is being looked at as a potential recurring villain? Sound off in the comment section below

Interesting...

Loki appearing in other Marvel films is sick. A proper, re-occuring menace. :up:

these new marvel movies are going to be so awesome. so far they're 2 for 2 imo.

Well, Hiddleston certainly looks the part. So far I'm very pleased with the Thor castings :up:

Tom looks like he'll be great as Loki. Thank the maker Josh Hartnett wasn't cast

Just watched the first episode of Wallander. Tom Hiddleston only has a small role in it, though he does well with it. I wonder if this sudden increase in his status will lead to Tom getting a meatier role in the upcoming second season of Wallander... ;)

Not sure how the Mandarin got his magical rings in the comics, but to tie in Thor/Loki to Ironman or Avengers, they could make it that loki strikes some deal with The Mandarin and gives The Mandarin his magical rings...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"