Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux - Part 1

Discussion in 'Thor: The Dark World' started by Thread Manager, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyGeek

LadyGeek Well-Known Member

Interesting thoughts. If the comic book panel my comments were about were actually done as a scene from an opera, it would probably strike me as more over the top than creepy and thus less upsetting.

And ruthless is a great word to describe Odin's parenting style. Harsh to me means super strict, maybe even a bit ferocious, a la Professor Snape. Odin is way beyond that.

2. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

it's tough though. I think snape is worse. Odin has had great moments. Hell, every single one of he and thor's moments are tear jerkers.

Unrelated, but something worth noting, that everyone must have written off, regarding Loki, and...the other, and possible the world tree...

remember when Loki went to that astral plane with the other, that mental plane or whatever, and they were talking? As The Other threatened him, we all noticed that serpent in the backround, right? Did it occur to anyone else that the serpent behind them was NOT one of the things from the final battle? For two reasons, one, don't think it seemed as big, two, they were in an astral plane of existence. Why was this serpent in Loki's mind?

Nidhogg? In the comics, he ate the souls of the dead, right? However, in the myth, he knaws at the roots of the world tree. So he could exist inbetween the physical and non physical realities, right?

What if that serpent was an easter egg/forshadowing of that serpent, that it was slowly tormenting, and eating away at Loki's mind?

3. nefarious_e

nefarious_e Death's BFF

Interesting theory. I will have to re-watch that scene.

I agree that the drama Odin's confrontation with Loki creates is great. Loki deserves it, but since the audience has been led to feel some degree of pity for MCU Loki, it's not abnormal to feel bad for him.

Unfortunately (but perhaps fortunately for a good plot), things Odin says usually tend to drive Loki even further into his madness, remember "No, Loki." (probably not the best choice of words when your crazy son is hanging over an endless void) and
    calling him Loki Laufeyson is like kicking a wounded creature that already wants to hurt you.
    It does make it look like Odin has given up on his wayward son. I'm fine with seeing a harsh Odin on screen, I would just like to see some shadow of regret too.

4. Aging Fangirl

Aging Fangirl slow slog to 1000 posts

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing that either - for added depth of character.

That thought in mind, I wonder if Odin was
    merely transferring the blame onto Frigga when he said Loki was only alive because of her.
    My Thor comic book experience is unfortunately limited to the JMS run from right before the first movie, so my understanding of the Odin-Frigga dynamic is limited, to say the least. In real life though, I've known of fathers who were quick to credit (or blame) any perceived sign of disciplinary 'weakness' on their spouses.

5. jaqua99

No, not blame. I think he meant that he is only "alive" because of her. His presence, his spirit. And he is also actually ALIVE cause of her.

But he's alive cause of Thanos and ..the other

6. Aging Fangirl

In a little over a week, we should be up to our eyelids with new TTDW goodness!

In the meantime ladies, here's another dose of Tom goodness to tide us over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeIVKyC0ZlQ

Late edit: changed 'day' to 'week'
    Reason: obviously date challenged - and impatient.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  7. Aging Fangirl

Ah! See, I took it to mean that Loki would've otherwise been struck down the instant his feet touched Asgardian soil. Quick justice style.

8. Godzilla2000

Godzilla2000 Dollar Store Diva

You know I was thinking that with Loki it would seem like Odin and Asgardian society in general has created their own monster with him. Instead of praising Loki for his natural born abilities and putting him down for being a man of intellect as opposed to brawn they've more or less alienated him when he could have been nurtured as a tool for good. I think that Frigga saw that potential in him hence why in the MCU she's been more supportive of him.

I always thought that was just a flashback that Loki was having to a precedent point in time before he was sent to Earth.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  9. Aging Fangirl

Aside from his innate lying, mischief loving, chaos creating characteristics he would've made a great ally. :woot:

You might be right though. If Loki had been treated differently, with respect (especially by Thor), he might potentially have been a great co-ruler. You would certainly want someone with his skill set to be with you instead of against you. With all the warm and fuzzy family feels between the two there would have to be a new source of conflict. Someone else playing the bad lad.

I wonder if this alternate possibility was ever explored in the comics? It might have made for an interesting miniseries.

10. jaqua99

I definitely saw it as him going to, like, some other plane

11. nefarious_e

nefarious_e Death's BFF

That's what I thought too. You can still see his physical body sitting there while his decked-out self talks to the other. His facial expression makes it look uncomfortable, like he's the one being drawn to another dimension/plane/etc.

And I would agree with the idea that Frigga saw Loki's potential for good. But I think her continuing to be supportive of Loki despite all of the terrible things he's done has more to do with the fact her love is unconditional. To Frigga, no matter what Loki has done, he is still her child.

The thing that was always saddest to me about Loki was that things didn't have to end up so badly. You wonder what would have happened if he (and those around him) hadn't made all the wrong choices.

12. Godzilla2000

It's like Loki is an addict in some ways. The response he seems to be eliciting from Odin in the prelude comics is a very human one when dealing with a loved one overcome by their addictions. I think one of the users is right in that Odin has given up on Loki, and in some ways there is nothing that can be done. I'd wager that Odin feels the son he knew died when Loki fell into the abyss and the Loki Thor brought back is a stranger. Anger is in itself a product of grief and on a deeper level I think Odin is grieving for Loki's spiritual death. All that hurt and betrayal is being masked by the All Father's rage.

13. Godzilla2000

Stumbled upon this query from The Nostalgia Critic:

I wonder if Tom Hiddleston wonders the same thing too?

14. Jenlet

Jenlet Irritant

15. Godzilla2000

Loki...why do you have to be an uber woobie?

16. Aging Fangirl

Following the Marvel panel liveblog. TOM just appeared in costume, in character as LOKI! Getting people to kneel and chant his name. Hee! :woot:

Gotta go back now!

17. eddy

eddy Make Mine Marvel

18. LadyGeek

OMG, wish I was there! Marvel sure knows the power of Loki.

19. Aging Fangirl

20. Godzilla2000

Oh my God...looks like Tom is starting to show his inner geek by cosplaying as Loki for conventions. ^–^

21. LadyGeek

LOL. I know, right? I love it. He sure can work a crowd.

So was Chris Hemsworth not there? I've been scanning Internet coverage but can't tell. Loki is a bit of a scene stealer, isn't he?

22. Aging Fangirl

Looked like he was having enormous fun with it. He makes a great ambassador for Marvel.

23. Aging Fangirl

Hemsworth was a no show - so Tom ruled the stage.

I'm sure Hemsworth would've been there if he could. Must be tough not to be able to make it to your own franchise's big day at SDCC.

24. Godzilla2000

I guess Tom does make the geek side look pretty appealing. I have to say that Tom would win way too many cosplay contests.

Me, if I was to cosplay I'd probably wear the Dark Brotherhood Shrouded Robes armor from Skyrim.
    [​IMG]

P.S. Love to geek out and see Tom cosplay as Cicero at a convention. That would really cement his geek credentials there.

25. Aging Fangirl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.