Tom Hooper to take on Les Miserables

Status
Not open for further replies.
people hate change. they want it to remain the same as it was 30 years ago.
Seems to me that people hate the idea of change more than change itself. Once the finished product comes out, if it's good, they tend to forget all about their earlier quibbles. These SHH boards are the perfect example of this, with all the pr-release ranting about the organic webshooters in Raimi's first Spidey, or the non-perma-white Joker. Or Idris Elba in Thor.

If the movie's good, they'll get over it and act as if it never happened. If it's not good, they'll use these changes as the basis for their "I knew it would suck all along" arguments.

organic web shooters always sucked lol but yeah, once people see the movie and see the scale of things and weight behind lines and music they will understand it was for the better.

Wait, you mean Enjolras has organic web shooters now? Okay, I'll go along with that. Awesome! :awesome:

George Blagden has been tweeting as Grantaire lately. Here's some from the last few days. Looks like he's quoting the novel and death.
George Blagden ‏@gblagden It is not noise that awakens a drunken man, but silence.

George Blagden ‏@gblagden The ending of drunkenness is like the tearing down of a curtain. One sees, as a whole and at a single glance, everything that it concealed.

George Blagden ‏@gblagden R has been asleep for a good few days now - when on earth will E realise he's lost this battle so I can wake up?! #hurryupheroboyandlose
Also, there was a tribute to Gene Kelly last night, and Hugh did a video from the set. Check out the barricade in the back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jLcAnFBit4&feature=youtu.be

Wait, you mean Enjolras has organic web shooters now? Okay, I'll go along with that. Awesome! :awesome:

Yep, and then they win the battle at the barricade, and head back to the ABC Cafe for shwarama. :oldrazz:

Last day for the boys is Saturday. I'm going to miss their tweets - the official page should put up a group photo!

Jonny Purchas @jonnypurchase
Penultimate day of stuck on sideburns, gunpowder, smelly costumes and blood. Guna miss it, but so shattered! #barricadeboys #lesmismovie

Stevee Davies @SteveeDavies
Penultimate day with the #barricadeboys We won't leave without a fight!

Russell Crowe @russellcrowe
That was a large day .... to sleep, perchance to dream

These students, such a waste of their days. Violence doesn't hasten change,it only brings suffering. They will suffer now #lesmis

Andy Coxon @andycoxon1
@Jonhawkinsuk it's been amazing, but I need some sleep now ha. Just need to film the final battle n die then we wrap tomorrow!How r u mate?

George Blagden @gblagden
The ending of drunkenness is like the tearing down of a curtain. One sees, as a whole and at a single glance, everything that it concealed.

Jonny Purchase @jonnypurchase
It's time to die again!! Wish I could tweet the pictures of our faces!! #lesmismovie #barricadeboys #blood

George Blagden @gblagden
R has been asleep for a good few days now - when on earth will E realise he's lost this battle so I can wake up?! #hurryupheroboyandlose

Killian Donnelly @killiandonnelly
Right this national guard army in their thousands is really starting to piss me off. Let's go out with a bang boys #LesMisMovie

Andy Coxon @andycoxon1
Wish I could tweet a pic of my face.... It's dying time today and tomoro!!

George Blagden @gblagden
That was probably the most amazing filming sequence I will ever experience. One battle. Five cameras. One take. #"longlivetherepublic"

George Blagden @gblagden
“@alistairbrammer: I am going to be extremely sad to be finishing the #lesmismovie. Been one of the best times of my life.” #herehere

Joseph Peters @Joeypetes22
Kudos to all the #barricadeboys Some incredible stuff goin down. @gblagden @killiandonnelly @frafee @TheGabrielVick @IwyLewis @mattjcorner

Killian Donnelly @killiandonnelly
Filmed our tragic end today. Very emotional as we rehearsed & then 1 take. No need for acting. Incredible stuff. #LesMisMovie

Fra Fee& @frafee
“@alistairbrammer: Im going to be extremely extremely sad to be finishing the #lesmismovie. Been one of the best times of my life.” dittodog

Iwan Lewis @IwyLewis
Not only was I shot in the head (again) today, also trampled on by 65 French soldiers storming over the barricade #ouch #lesmismovie

Iwan Lewis @IwyLewis
@eponinesrain Even when shot in the head they couldn't stop us Students from belting out a tune...

Iwan Lewis @IwyLewis
Last day on the #lesmismovie tomorrow... as of Tuesday I will be back on the @LegBlondUKTour until the end of the tour in October :-)

Andy Coxon @andycoxon1
Final battle was scary chaos!!!! I now have a black eye for real! #lesmisfilm

Andy Coxon @andycoxon1
Wish I could tweet a pic of my face.... It's dying time today and tomoro!!

Matthew Seadon-Young @MatSeadonYoung
Epic last hour of the day at the barricades; lots of blood and a mild concussion later, I'm en route home for a cuppa #lesmismovie.

Jonny Purchase @jonnypurchase
Absolutely unreal epic last battle on the barricades. The joy of being sat on my roof was the amazing view to see it all. Unreal memory!

One of the National Guard:

Rhidian Marc @RhidianMarc
Still caked in blood on my way home. Wish I was alive to see if anyone managed to get away! #lesmismovie

Last edited:
Someone at IMDB posted info from a website that said the trailer is going to be shown with Snow White & the Huntsman which comes out June 1, which I think means it will be online a bit before that.

Trailers shipping with print:
The Bourne Legacy (A)
Les Misérables (E)
Total Recall (E)
Premium Rush (E)

I happened to hear another clip of Hathaway's "I dreamed a dream" (only audio). What baffeled me was that it started with the last notes of "shame" from the culmination of the song, and the next thing was the last verse ("I had a dream my life would be...."). Did they really made so big cut to such an important song? I know they must cut something out or they won't manage with the expected two and a half hours time, but.... that is just so sad!

I happened to hear another clip of Hathaway's "I dreamed a dream" (only audio). What baffeled me was that it started with the last notes of "shame" from the culmination of the song, and the next thing was the last verse ("I had a dream my life would be...."). Did they really made so big cut to such an important song? I know they must cut something out or they won't manage with the expected two and a half hours time, but.... that is just so sad!
It's probably from the same bootleg clip, there's only one floating around. The person who initially captured it said she only got half of it so the beginning is missed. Plus, I'm sure the whole song isn't in the teaser.

Something is coming out next week in front of Snow White & the Huntsman - whether it's the same thing or something else we'll find out!

We come ever closer to "Sue's side" (that still cracks me up :funny:)

When the sun sets, Gymont and I shall search the banks of the Seine for Jean Valjean. #lesmis

Teaser out on Wednesday, this is on the Facebook page of the stage show (the photo of Hugh and Mackintosh referred to is in the link also):

Amazing Les Miz Movie news!! How about this for a Friday afternoon treat! Head over to the official Les Misérables movie Facebook page for an exclusive picture of Hugh Jackman and a certain producer who goes by the name of Cameron Mackintosh! And to whet your appetite further, a little birdie tells me you’ll be able to view the first movie teaser sometime on Wednesday next week! Stayed tuned!!

http://www.facebook.com/lesmisofficial

Looks like they filmed The Robbery today:

@Jess_Hugs
Today I filmed with Helena Bonham Carter, Sacha Baron Cohen, Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe. Plus we had ice lollies on set! Great day!

@russellcrowe
Valjean is in Paris. 9 years...keep on running,I will run you off your feet...#lesmis

New article on USA Today with a bunch of new photos:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/story/2012-05-28/les-miserables-singing/55253056/1

'Les Miserables' sets actors' voices free

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, England — After weeks of toiling on the soundstages of Pinewood Studios, the cast and crew of Les Misérables have headed out to the English countryside.

Despite the pleasant spring weather, the scene being shot is anything but a picnic. Hugh Jackman, playing bitter ex-convict turned beneficent businessman Jean Valjean, performs one of his most emotional scenes: a confession of past transgressions to Marius (Eddie Redmayne of My Week With Marilyn), the student protester who will soon wed his ward, Cosette (Amanda Seyfried of Mamma Mia!).

PHOTOS: More scenes from 'Les Miserables'

Anticipation is high for the Dec. 14 release of the big-screen version of one of the most popular stage musicals ever. Though cinematic interpretations of Broadway shows have become more commonplace since Chicago took the 2002 best-picture Oscar, Les Mis represents a new phase in the evolution of the movie musical.

The tale of love, redemption and social unrest that unfolds in 19th-century France — whose dialogue, along with such showstopping numbers as On My Own, is completely sung — will feature live performances instead of following the tradition of actors lip-syncing to a pre-recorded track.

Tom Hooper, Oscar-winning director of The King's Speech, wouldn't have it any other way.

"If you are miming to a playback, even if the synchronization is done very well, there is a part of you that knows something is off, something is false," he says. "When it's live, you believe it so much more. The actors have complete freedom rather than following a recording done three months before."

Hooper says the results deliver those "spine-tingling moments" he appreciated when he saw the stage show. Fans will get to hear a sampling when a Les Mis teaser premieres on MSN.com Wednesday before it hits theaters Friday.

Featured is Anne Hathaway as Cosette's self-sacrificing mother, Fantine, singing the ballad I Dreamed a Dream. "Anne has been an extraordinary exponent of singing live," Hooper says. "Her I Dreamed aDream is just jaw-dropping. It is so raw and heartfelt. It's done in a way you could never do in playback."

Though the challenges might be greater for actors to sing take after take, the benefits are plentiful. "When you are doing miming, 60% of your energy is just doing it correctly," says Jackman, who had to lip-sync his way through a 1999 TV film of Oklahoma! "Even though it is your performance, you don't feel you are in charge of it."

Seyfried, who mimed her songs in Mamma Mia!, appreciates the different approach in Les Mis. "The cool thing is, no one has been tested this way before. We all are doing something revolutionary."

But she has to be more disciplined about protecting her voice than she did while dancing giddily on a Greek isle to ABBA pop tunes.

"You have to sing every day," the classically trained soprano declares. "You can't abandon it. Seriously, it is a lot of herbs. A lot of singing in the shower. No cigarettes. Very little alcohol if you can deal with it. You've got to be careful with cheese. It is intense, living as a singer."

Seyfried assures that it is worth it to star in the show she fell in love with when she was 11. "I was literally on the edge of my seat the whole time," she recalls. "My mom says it was the first time she's ever seen me focus on something for more than a couple minutes. It is hard not to become addicted to the music."

Producer Debra Hayward just appreciates being treated to what amounts to a concert each day. "It's not like working on a normal film, when you come in listening to the same tired old lines. Singing is so elevating, it makes you happy."

Slideshow: http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Les+Miserables-From+Stage+to+Screen/G3938

I have to say, I love that photo of Amanda and Eddie and the mention of "Valjean's Confession." It does sound like we are going to see the whole teaser trailer.

Barks looks great! :hrt:

les-mis-jackman.jpg

les-mis-baby.jpg

les-mis-hathaway.jpg

les-mis-crowe-jackman.jpg

les-mis-seyfried-redmayne.jpg

les-mis-crowe-horses.jpg

les-mis-jackman-older.jpg

les-mis-crowe.jpg

les-mis-barks.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the teaser tomorrow.

Holy crap, how small is Samantha's waist! Did she adopt the Christian Bale-method to prepare for this role as a starving street urchin?!?

These pictures are amazing, and Barks looks even better than I thought she would as Eponine. Les Mis, along with Skyfall and The Hobbit, is going to make this year end with a bang at the box office.

Holy crap, how small is Samantha's waist! Did she adopt the Christian Bale-method to prepare for this role as a starving street urchin?!?
Don't forget she's probably also wearing a corset, Scarlett O'Hara would be proud LOL.

Love the photo of Cosette and Marius, now I want to see the revolutionaries!

Not amused at Amanda Seyfried. Not amused at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"