Tom Hooper to take on Les Miserables

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no interest in this. I love musicals, but I find most modern musicals annoying in their executions outside a select few. But this looks pretty good. It definitely doesn't look stagey. However if it is as "sad" as some of you are making it out to be, I don't think I can justify going to the theater to be depressed. It is really only Keira Knightley and Chris Nolan who can get away with that.

I emailed the link to the trailer to my mom. She just emailed me back with "OK, why am I already crying??" :funny:
From what I gather on the internet (not just here), the trailer has received a very favourable response, like your mother's reaction. This bodes very well for the film. I think this trailer could draw in people who aren't even familiar or weren't particularly interested with the story beforehand. It has a grand scope about it that people find appealing.

From what I gather on the internet (not just here), the trailer has received a very favourable response, like your mother's reaction. This bodes very well for the film. I think this trailer could draw in people who aren't even familiar or weren't particularly interested with the story beforehand. It has a grand scope about it that people find appealing.

Except for Eddie Redmayne. There is something about his face and acting that make me want to punch him.

Anne looks and sounds great. So are the rest. :up:

I wish we've seen more of Barks since I'm guessing she'll be the biggest surprise here.

I still hated seeing "Academy Award Winner" beside Hooper's name. Yeah I'm bitter like that.

I think it is amazing how people can say this from pictures and trailers. :woot:
Well I would have said it before seeing those pics and trailers simply based on knowing the show. Both roles seem like leads during their time on screen, but both are only there for segments (probably less than half) of the story.

We're big fans of the stage version (I've seen it 9 times, I'm not sure how many times my mom has seen it), so we've been looking forward to it for a long time. Reaction I've heard from fans so far is very positive. Yay! :yay:

I confess this is what actually made me research the original when I was younger, because I hadn't even heard of it until the parody.

[YT]pQLAXqKa-eE[/YT]

Glad to see our resident fans are happy with the trailer. :) I think it looks like powerful stuff with a grand scale.

Anne Hathaway singing. :hrt::hrt:

That is all.

But seriously, other than what seems to be Anne singing to me, this looks like it could be good. I still need to see King's Speech though.

Anne Hathaway singing. :hrt::hrt:

That is all.

But seriously, other than what seems to be Anne singing to me, this looks like it could be good. I still need to see King's Speech though.

Trust us, it's really, really good. :up:

Well the play might be (which I haven't seen) but this could be as well.

I haven't read the book either. Is it in the form of a musial or just a narrative? If it's the latter, how come they usually adapt the musical and not the narrative? Because the musical is more known and popular?

Well the play might be (which I haven't seen) but this could be as well.

I havent' read the book either. Is it in the form of a musial or just a narrative? If it's the latter, how come they usually adapt the musical and not the narrative? Because the musical is more known and popular?

The musical has been seen by more than 60 million people worldwide, so at this point the musical is probably more popular than the original novel.

It played on Broadway for 16 years (and again in a revival that played for over year), and it's played over 10,000 performances in London, where it's still playing.

And the musical is amazing, I've seen it 9 times. If they do it right, which so far it looks like they have...this is going to be an amazing movie.

I thought Anne was great, you really feel for poor Fantine, she is so desperate! I can't wait to hear some of the others, I think many will be surprised at their singing, no Pierce Brosnan in this group LOL.

I love Les Miserables, although I wish I've seen it more than once on stage, and this trailer gives me the goosebumps. I think Hathaway's haunting, desperate, and emotional performance singing "I Dream A Dream" does this song justice, because if you actually read the lyrics, it is by a mother who has reached the end of her hopes and she despairs for her young daughter. It's a very powerful and sad moment in the musical, and I think Hathaway conveys that feeling extremely well. I hope the Academy will consider her performance for an Oscar because I really feel that she has given alot for this movie, and even though it is a supporting role I think audience will be touched by it deeply.

Here's the trailer in embedded format:

I'm impressed by the trailer, I've never seen the musical but I'm aware of its popularity and I like the direction Hooper is going with the actors actually singing, Hathaway was just amazing in the trailer, very emotional. I was looking forward to hearing how Jackman sings, I think I only heard him singing when he was the host of the 81st Academy Awards and he was good in there so I can't wait to hear him now.

I'm impressed by the trailer, I've never seen the musical but I'm aware of its popularity and I like the direction Hooper is going with the actors actually singing, Hathaway was just amazing in the trailer, very emotional. I was looking forward to hearing how Jackman sings, I think I only heard him singing when he was the host of the 81st Academy Awards and he was good in there so I can't wait to hear him now.

I remember Hathaway did a rendition of "On My Own" as well, and I was hoping she'd be cast as Eponine one day. It's funny to think that years later, both actors are on the big-screen adaptation of Les Mis.

Last edited:
Just watched the trailer... chills..... and tears... well not tears... but watering in my eyes.... oh what the hell, yes tears! :waa:

I actually really love that they went with I Dreamed a Dream and more specifically that portion of it ("but the tigers come at night..." those couple of lines are probably my favorite part of that song, oddly enough). And the emotion that Anne has in her voice as she sings, heartbreaking!

Can't wait to see this.

I found the YT video of Anne Hathaway singing On My Own on the Oscar:

I hope her song will be nominated so she can sing it live in next year's ceremony.

I found the YT video of Anne Hathaway singing On My Own on the Oscar:

I hope her song will be nominated so she can sing it live in next year's ceremony.

Actually, "On My Own" can't be nominated since it wasn't written for the movie.

The only song eligible will be the new song, "Suddenly", which Hugh Jackman is singing.

And despite the fact that I haven't heard it yet, I'm still hoping he gets to sing it at the show next year. :hrt:

Actually, "On My Own" can't be nominated since it wasn't written for the movie.

The only song eligible will be the new song, "Suddenly", which Hugh Jackman is singing.

And despite the fact that I haven't heard it yet, I'm still hoping he gets to sing it at the show next year. :hrt:

Sorry, I meant to say that I hope Hathaway's "I Dream A Dream" will be nominated so she can sing it live, but since it's not written for the movie I guess it is not eligible. Too bad.

Sorry, I meant to say that I hope Hathaway's "I Dream A Dream" will be nominated so she can sing it live, but since it's not written for the movie I guess it is not eligible. Too bad.

That's why movie musical adaptations usually have a new song added, so they can still get nominated in that category. I think Dreamgirls had 3 new songs.

I loved that "On My Own" performance at the Oscars, that was hilarious. :funny:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back