Tomb Raider (2013) - Part 1

I never thought about Gemma before, but I think she fits nicely, especially since she's from England like Lara.

I just watched the video, and I've gotta say, as much as this makes an already great looking game look even better, it makes me wonder about the whole graphics/gameplay debate. I loved Tomb Raider on my PS3, so much that it would be high up on my GOTY ranking, and I definitely plan on planning through it again now that I finally have my own copy. But at the same time, I don't know if I would buy this again, especially at $60, if I had a next gen system. Sure it looks amazing, but I don't know how much a better face and subtle movements of equipment would make my experience better.

Seeing how they improved the graphics for this definitely makes me excited to see how the sequel will look, but I'm a little conflicted about how I feel about this now. It's like it's nice to see, but is it really necessary, and wouldn't their resources be better used if they took that time to work on a sequel and get it out sooner?

I think this new version will appeal most to gamers who either didn't play the original or only played some of it.

if you've already played most or all of the original game, I'm not sure how appealing the new version will be.....especially at $60.

I only played a bit of the original game, before trading it in for a good deal.

I'm definitely picking this up on the PS4 next week!

I've played the original game, and most of it's sequels. But I still like what I have seen from the reboot.

I think this new version will appeal most to gamers who either didn't play the original or only played some of it.

if you've already played most or all of the original game, I'm not sure how appealing the new version will be.....especially at $60.

I only played a bit of the original game, before trading it in for a good deal.

I'm definitely picking this up on the PS4 next week!
I guess what I'm just asking is, are graphics really that important? I mean, you're basically getting the same exact game, just a prettier version. It's not like an HD remake of an old game, and there's not even any new features or modes. I guess getting the DLC stuff adds to the value in that sense, but their big selling point seems to more about the look of the game, and not the feel of it.

I've played the original game, and most of it's sequels. But I still like what I have seen from the reboot.
I think by "original," he was referring to the reboot on the PS3, not the original Playstation One games. As was I, because I really love this rebooted version and cannot wait to see what happens next with this series.

Speaking of which, I really hope that this is a true reboot of the franchise, because I would hate to have this have this Lara evolve into the one from the past games. If they did that, this would be more of a prequel than a reboot.

So who likes Lara's 'new face' in the X1/PS4 'Tomb Raider'?

I guess what I'm just asking is, are graphics really that important? I mean, you're basically getting the same exact game, just a prettier version. It's not like an HD remake of an old game, and there's not even any new features or modes. I guess getting the DLC stuff adds to the value in that sense, but their big selling point seems to more about the look of the game, and not the feel of it.

I think by "original," he was referring to the reboot on the PS3, not the original Playstation One games. As was I, because I really love this rebooted version and cannot wait to see what happens next with this series.

Speaking of which, I really hope that this is a true reboot of the franchise, because I would hate to have this have this Lara evolve into the one from the past games. If they did that, this would be more of a prequel than a reboot.

yeah.....by original, I was referring to the reboot that was released on PS3/360 last year.

as for the new version, it's essentially the same thing as when they release HD Remastered versions of PS2 games on the PS3.

they're not really adding anything new gameplay or feature wise........so in that sense, it is mainly about the updated graphics and look.

and, again, that would appeal the most to gamers who missed out on the game the 1st time around, and now they have a chance to play the game in "higher def."

or, for those who've already played it, the chance to relive the experience in higher def.

for the latter, though, spending $60 again may not be the best deal, so they'd probably want to wait for a price drop.

I loved the game, but no way I'd pay $60 for improved graphics, unless I lose my PS3 version and really can't wait to play it again.

I just watched the video, and I've gotta say, as much as this makes an already great looking game look even better, it makes me wonder about the whole graphics/gameplay debate. I loved Tomb Raider on my PS3, so much that it would be high up on my GOTY ranking, and I definitely plan on planning through it again now that I finally have my own copy. But at the same time, I don't know if I would buy this again, especially at $60, if I had a next gen system. Sure it looks amazing, but I don't know how much a better face and subtle movements of equipment would make my experience better.

Seeing how they improved the graphics for this definitely makes me excited to see how the sequel will look, but I'm a little conflicted about how I feel about this now. It's like it's nice to see, but is it really necessary, and wouldn't their resources be better used if they took that time to work on a sequel and get it out sooner?
I think most people will feel funny about paying $60 for a product which is so similar to another product that they've already paid $60 for but I don't think this case says anything about graphics not being important. If the difference had just been some gameplay improvements like fast weapon swaps, extra evasive moves, superior inventory management etc you might feel just as hesitant about paying $60 again for playing what is essentially still the same game. :yay: People want new experiences for new sets of $60s!

Really I think it's less about the graphics and more about the accessibility. Everyone who owns a next-gen console right now is desperately wishing they had more games to play, so a critically praised game that they might have missed the first time around is the perfect thing to fill that void.

Really I think it's less about the graphics and more about the accessibility. Everyone who owns a next-gen console right now is desperately wishing they had more games to play, so a critically praised game that they might have missed the first time around is the perfect thing to fill that void.

that's a major reason for me.

Yeah that's already been debunked

Update:*A Square Enix spokesperson issued the following statement to IGN: "Both platforms offer the same outstanding Tomb Raider experience. Delivering the core Tomb Raider gameplay at native 1080p and running at 30fps was always our primary goal given the type of experience Tomb Raider is and the exploration we want players to do. Anything beyond 30fps for this version is gravy."

Doesn't sound debunked to me... Sounds like their goal was simply 30 FPS which the XB1 does.. The PS4 seems to push it to 60. They didn't say the PS4 version didn't run at 60 FPS they just said anything beyond 30 is gravy. They don't want the spec nerds flipping out and saying the XB1 version sucks.

No big deal really. I wasn't saying the XB1 version sucked.

They're both inferior to the PC version anyway.

Everyone knows that 30FPS makes games look more cinematic anyway. Combine that with Xbox One's revolutionary Snap™ feature, so I can catch up on my favorite shows, Skype™ with my friends, or watch a sporting event while I play Tomb Raider, and the Xbox One version will be the best possible version of the game and a true next generation experience. No doubt about it.

[BLACKOUT]Does Microsoft pay under the table for positive forum posts, or is it just for YouTube videos?[/BLACKOUT]

Everyone knows that 30FPS makes games look more cinematic anyway. Combine that with Xbox One's revolutionary Snap™ feature, so I can catch up on my favorite shows, Skype™ with my friends, or watch a sporting event while I play Tomb Raider, and the Xbox One version will be the best possible version of the game and a true next generation experience. No doubt about it.

[BLACKOUT]Does Microsoft pay under the table for positive forum posts, or is it just for YouTube videos?[/BLACKOUT]

You literally wrote that like you got a pay check for it. Haha.

If people are hired to go on YouTube videos and forums and basically promote products with garbage like that, I feel really sorry for them. I'd rather assemble iPhones for Foxconn.

It's true. Just wait until it comes out.

Last edited:
Playing this on the Xbone... It's pretty rad. I'm loving it even though I've played it before (graphics are really something). Motion controls and voice command are fine but unnecessary.

I'd say it definitely stands up as a next gen title, looks great and I'd forgotten what an outstanding game this was.

I'd say for anyone with next-gen who never played it, you'd be insane not to get it.

Playing this on the Xbone... It's pretty rad. I'm loving it even though I've played it before (graphics are really something). Motion controls and voice command are fine but unnecessary.

I'd say it definitely stands up as a next gen title, looks great and I'd forgotten what an outstanding game this was.

I'd say for anyone with next-gen who never played it, you'd be insane not to get it.

great!!

I'm definitely getting this on the PS4 next week.

Just picked this up on the PS4. Framerate is great and the game looks georgeous, the New Lara face is a great improvement

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"