• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight Too late to start?

Perhaps you should put the hippo on the wiki (or atleast an honorable mention):)

the hippo in the static that started it all:

zomg.jpg

he tells me to do bad things...

Haha wow this has become quite a thread! Just throwing it in there as a fellow motorcycle rider and viral junky, if you don't "get it" now, i highly doubt you ever will. When you see bikes acknowledge each other and you assume that they must know each other, then you won't understand. It isn't until you're a part of the comradery that you'll get it. if you have to ask about the Hippo, just forget about it unless youre ready for a really long story sort of thing...

That is true. If you think the viral is about swag, you won't get it. The swag of the viral. But if you think the viral is about roughing it and slumming it all in the name of something most people don't know or care about...then you know, it's never too late to party! I mean, even if you were 80, and you always wanted a motorcycle, other bikers would still wave at you when you passed, even if you were an 80-year-old noob!

oh, the people aren't creepy--or anyway no more than I like.

the idea that ones individual experiences should become *brand* experiences is creepy.

Fandom has always had a huge devotion to things but those were done by artists whose primary purpose was to entertain or inform--and only secondarily to sell books. So it's also creepy for that innocence to taken advantage of.

Oh...artists whose primary purpose was to entertain or to inform, to create 'art for art's sake' thereby creating fandom, which creates even more 'art for art's sake' inspired by the initial act of art for art's sake...crap...where have I seen that? Oh yeah!

First of all, I call bull. Or hippo, as it were. To say that a concern to make a profit isn't foremost in somebody's mind in everything that fandom revolves around is nonsense. Maybe JKR didn't aim to become a bazillionaire. As the artist, she just wrote a book. Scholastic and Bloomsbury did want to make money off of it though. If they thought they couldn't, they probably wouldn't release it. That's what life is like...even if your book is awesome, a publisher won't put it on bookshelves just because they like it. They put it on bookshelves because they think they can make money off of it. It's not a charitable inclination whatsoever.

Er, or how about...Peter Jackson with Lord of the Rings. Dude just wanted to make a trilogy of awesome movies. BUT, he needed the money to do it. Even if Peter Jackson had had Bill Gates' wealth, he still wouldn't have been able to fund his $3 zillion epic movies. So he got the money from New Line. The fact is that, had New Line thought they would tank at the box office, they wouldn't have done. Capitalism is always a gamble, but New Line here is the eeevil puppeteer, where Peter Jackson is the 'artist.' But the fact is, the movie you see could not have existed without New Line's desire to make a buck.

So yeah, JK Rowling would be that 'artist' type of which you speak. (This is an example. And yeah, I freaking love Harry Potter, and I know some people would say that JKR is a moneygrubbing talentless hack, but first, I've heard that about most good writers, and second...you're totally wrong!) And so might Peter Jackson. But these books and movies are made with artistic intent but funded with capitalistic intent. Books and movies are made to sell. Period. Maybe Christopher Nolan makes Batman the way he does because he's an 'artist.' Furthermore, if JK Rowling can still be an artist, even though Scholastic and Bloomsbury want to make money, and Peter Jackson can still be an artist, even though New Line wants to make money (and by the way, Peter Jackson and New Line are now mad at each other about money, so 'art for art's sake' is nonsense even there), then why can't 42e be the artist, and Warner Bros be the guys who want to make money? But really, to call any of these works art for art's sake is wrong. I don't know why people think a thing can't be pure, or good, or artistic, as long as money is involved. I mean, as Stephen Colbert says, money can't buy happiness...but it CAN buy things that will MAKE you happy.

For example, I don't consider myself corrupt by money, but if I instantly came into a great fortune, I would immediately purchase a hippo, and a segway.

Also, Robbie...what are all the pockets for? Are they for like...holding animal crackers? I'm curious.

It's his hippo utility belt, duh...

And yes, it holds vast amounts of animal crackers (except for hippos)...

It's his hippo utility belt, duh...

And yes, it holds vast amounts of animal crackers (except for hippos)...

But don't you think the hippos would be the best kind for him to have? You know, he could use them as a weapon, like...the Batarang. And then he could enjoy them as a delicious snack!

For example, I don't consider myself corrupt by money, but if I instantly came into a great fortune, I would immediately purchase a hippo, and a segway.

How about a Segway shaped like a hippo with a horn that sounds like a hippo?

How about a Segway shaped like a hippo with a horn that sounds like a hippo?

Okay, that would just be the coolest mode of transportation ever. Also, low-energy. Hippos for the Preservation of the Environment. Right on!

But don't you think the hippos would be the best kind for him to have? You know, he could use them as a weapon, like...the Batarang. And then he could enjoy them as a delicious snack!

a Hipporang would be pretty bad ass

Ok, Ok, I give...he has hipporang crackers in the pouches too...

Sorry, it's too good to refuse...

Becareful guys, last time we had a hippo break out people got put on probation so you may wanna space it out.

Probation, seriously?

Hippo, I know no hippo? What do you refer to good sir?

*Gives the shifty eyes then walks away quickly*

Wow, if that wasn't a conversation killer I don't know what was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"