The Dark Knight How I would start TDK.

The Dark Knight

Scene 1

The scene opens on a panoramic view of Gotham City and pans down into a main street to join a crowd of onlookers at some TV’s blaring from behind a shop window.

Newswoman: With less than a week to go the pressure is on for workers preparing the city for the New Year’s Eve festivities and Mayor Thorne promises nothing less than an “extravaganza”.

-Cut to Mayor Thorne on TV-

“The events planned are a celebration of the success Gotham has seen in the past year: a gross rise in public funding, a boom in employment, not to mention a dramatic drop in crime. This night will mark the beginning of a new era in which our recent achievements will be ever duplicated and indeed dwarfed”.

Newsman: Any comment on the May election?

Thorne (smiling): Oh I’m in too festive a mood for politics now! But I can assure you that we will be seeing through the year to come together! (Gesturing to the badge on his chest representing his party, “the Rose Party”) It’s set to be a very rosy picture indeed”.

Newswoman: Well, there you have it…

Her words tail off as the camera soars up and out into the night sky high above the rooftops and it seems that perhaps we have taken the view of something swooping through the air. Is that breathing we hear or just another tone of fluctuating wind?
Our night flight continues revealing extraordinary views of the city, beautiful multiple scenes of tiny people below. Is that the sound of pistons firing as we rise and fall somewhat on our journey (grappling hooks perhaps?). We are alarmed to have our attention drawn to a worrying scene below of a woman with two men closing in on her in an alley way and hostile voices. The scene passes and we begin to worry why only to find that after a fast downwards descent we are suddenly turning at ninety degrees and soon the same alley appears from the other side. It looks as if we are about to land right in it!

In the alley-

A slight clatter is heard as a figure lands in the shadows.

Thug 1: (to his accomplice in alarm) What was that?

Thug 2: I didn’t hear nothing, but lets just get this over and done with…(with malice and staring at the woman) for your sake too sweetheart…
A little thing like you shouldn’t be hanging around in alleyways at night…

The men begin to close in on her a long blade protruding from thug 1’s hand.
We close in on the sneering face of the second thug as he nears he terrified woman.

Thug 2: Me first. I found her after all.

The silhouette of his friend behind him is hauled out of view, by a fist perhaps?
No sound is heard.

The man draws nearer but the woman looks a little perplexed, a little hopeful that her nightmare situation might end soon.

Her eyes dart around trying to figure out where the other man disappeared to and as the thug draws right up close he seems somewhat offended at her lack of interest.

Thug 2: Hey (he grabs her face roughly, fingers pressed into her cheeks) what’s the matter? Ain’t I your type”.

Her eyes widen with terror.

“No… bad breath” comes the deep and monster-like reply from behind him.

We now see his own eyes widen a petrified scream escape from his lips as we rise into the air to be followed by him clutched at the neck by Batman, his hand covering his mouth. We rise quickly but as we do we see the original thug tied and gagged on a lower rooftop watching our descent, eyes wide, and hear the muffles of his terror.

On a very high rooftop we wait for a second and are joined by Batman and his new friend. This building is between the original alley and a second and we view this from above, briefly glimpsing the woman in the first.

Back on the roof-

Batman: (holding the thug to his face, still covering his mouth and from his perspective).

A little thing like you shouldn’t be hanging around in dark alley’s like this at night (should elicit some humour. He takes his hand away from the thug’s mouth and we are met with the sound of rapid choked breathing).
Might run into some trouble.

Batman lowers to thug to the ground and lets go off him, staring down with contempt. The thug stares back in fear and then turns and runs out of frame. Batman shoots upwards his cape roaring in the wind. We now take the perspective of the thug, near the edge of the building and searching for an escape root, peering here and there over the side of the railing in hope of a ladder. Turning around we bump straight into batman and the thug screams. We dart around quickly with him and try to flee before he stops in his tracks, deciding it’s hopeless.
Thug2: Look, man. Please…I don’t know what you want…just don’t hurt me

Still in his perspective, we turn slowly around, hands outstretched in surrender, but are met with just the sight of the opposite railing. He has vanished again.

Thug 2: Oh god…please…

A cruel laugh emanates from the darkness and the scampering begins again, a meas of escape must be found. His breathing quickens and the camera pans around as we hear various clankings and scrapings from the walls around, as there high buildings joined on other sides and metal catwalks above. The thug and us with him find a ladder at the furthest edge of the building and begin to get our leg over the railing.

Batman (from behind) going down?

We hear a metallic sound and suddenly we are plummeting ten stories, pushed out and over, screaming. We stretch our arms across our face as the ground (the alley on the other side) becomes oh so near. Immediately our arms are jerked away and splaying as we are racing back upwards. The camera shows us this from the third person and we see the thug flying back upwards on a bungee chord. He reaches near the top and is caught by the ankle in batman’s right hand, standing atop the building.

Batman: What are you doing out so late at night?

Thug: N---o---oh…dsvf….

Batman: Well….? ANSWER ME!

Thug: Oh….I…Oh please….I don’t know…oh god…

Batman ( pulling him up, grabbing his other half and twisting him upright to face him) YOU DON’T KNOW!....I WANT AN ANSWER OR THIS TIME I JUST LET GO (he releases the grip on the thugs body and sends him back into the upside down position. The thug duly begins to whimper and Batman drops to one to get closer to him.

Batman: well? What’s your answer?

The thug merely whimpers in what has escalated to a new height of terror.

Batman: So be it (in a mixture of third person and the perspective of the thug, Batman draws him out further sway from the edge of the building in preparation to drop, the thugs frantic breathing and groaning increasing. Back in the thugs perspective we fall fast through the air going through all angles, a terrible scream accompanying the plummet. We are about to hit bottom when we race back up again and in one lighting manoeuvre we are thrust back into the Batman’s face.

Batman: I don’t ever want to see you here again!

With that tearing is heard and a gag is plastered over our mouth before we are swivelled around and a chord is heard being pulled. We are wrenched back into the air with batman, all the while in thug perspective and we are back are descending toward the original thug still where he was left.

We watch Batman reunite the friends with the dropping of the second on the first.

Some seconds have passed and the camera sits atop a new high roof top as batman joins us. We watch him observe something and see the woman, now moving away from the alley to some police who are arriving on the scene on foot. A car is seen approaching in the distance. Batman smiles and shoots back off and away into the sky. It raining somewhat now and storm could be on the way.

We’re on the ground now with the woman and the police and two officers move away and down into the alley, the camera on their faces as they do so. At the bottom they stop in their tracks.

Cop 1: Well I’ll be dammed…

We see before them the two thugs tied together and swinging by a chord from a catwalk staircase above. On the wall beneath them and directly opposite the police is a batarang embedded in the wall.

Cop 2: ( he approaches it and attempts to pull it out of the wall, failing to do so) I told you he was real…

End of scene 1.

Scene 2.

It’s the following morning. The camera rests for a while on the newly rebuilt Wayne manner, a magnificent site.

Inside and Alfred dusts a vase before ascending a flight of stairs and pausing just outside Bruce Wayne’s bedroom. He exhales deeply, concerned before flinging the doors open and entering. A startled Bruce shifts in bed and awakes bewildered as to the disturbance.

Alfred: You were back la- early this morning master Bruce.

Bruce: (rubbing his eyes and sitting up) Busy night. But today’s Sunday-

Alfred: Indeed sir and on you wishes I remind you of your appointment at city hall. You have an hour I believe.

Bruce: That’s today? Oh…are any of Al’s quick pancakes available? (getting up, stretching, going to the en suite bathroom.

Alfred: …yes (with concern and a hint of sternness) but perhaps you should commit to an earlier bed time…at least once a week.

End of scene.

Scene three.

Outside city hall, where the press are gathered and where Rupert thorne prepares to hold a conference with Gotham’s powerful elite.

Tobiaswins I like your work, it's not without it's faults but nothing is without faults. A very impressive job if I do say so myself. I think I might put my beginning to The Dark Knight up as I'd be very interested to see your opinions, and of course the opinions of anyone else who cares to read it.

What I had previously written here wasn't as good as I had originally meant it to be, in fact, reading over, I thought it was crap. I now have I revised and final edition that is nothing like my first draft. I hope you enjoy this one more and forgive the eyesore I had posted previously. I thank you.

THE DARK KNIGHT​

Rain pounds the city of Gotham but we cannot see it, we can only hear it. We see nothing but the darkness and hear the rain couples with rolling thunder. There's a lightning crack-

We catch a brief glimpse of Batman standing ever vigilant over the city of Gotham. He stands atop a gargoyle and looks at the streets below. Then bats flood the screen, massing center-screen in the shape of the batsymbol. When they clear he is gone and we fade back to black

In the repeated darkness the sounds of the weather have become dimmer, the sounds now give an impression that we're inside as we hear the raining hitting a roof. As mentioned before, everything is quieter. We then hear a terrifying scream for help.

LOEB
Help! Someone help me! Oh God please! He's got a gun!​

Fade in, this scene is shot on a handycam. Commissioner Loeb continues his plea for help until-

BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG

Four bullets are embedded in the Commissioner's chest, he writhes momentarily and then falls limp. The gunman steps into view from behind the camera and sits himself on Loeb's lap. Whoever it is they're dressed in an off coloured suit and wear make up so they appear as a clown might. He looks straight at the camera.

JOKER
Gotham, I did warn you. I warned you that tonight I would murder your beloved Commissioner of police Gillian Loeb but still no one did anything. What did you think I WAS JOKING?! PERHAPS NEXT TIME YOU'LL TAKE ME MORE SERIOUSLY GOTHAM! HIS BLOOD IS ON YOUR HANDS!​

He composes himself and runs a gloved hand through his green hair.

JOKER​
But it's okay...

Turning to the now deceased Commissioner he pulls lipstick from his pocket and then steps away to reveal an ugly red smile painted on his lips.

JOKER
The bastard died happy.​

He gets up and starts to cackle madly, removing a Joker card from his pocket and sliding it neatly into his breast pocket. After that Joker yet again takes up his gun and shoots one last bullet between the Commissioners eyes. He laughs harder and moves towards the camera, turning it off.

Top_Hatter said:
THE DARK KNIGHT

Rain pounds the city of Gotham, we can hear it but we can't see it, we can see nothing as the screen is completely black. Coupled with the rain there is rolling thunder and the occasionaly crack of lightning. Then suddenly-

This is the only good part of that. I think when the lighting finally breaks you should see the shape of a batsymbol like in BB. Or how about it flashing and then the screen goes back to black and the next time the screen is shown it is a view of the cityscape with the batsignal in the sky!

wow, that's pretty damn awesome Top_Hatter, well done! *applauds*

I especially like Joker's last line "the bastard died happy". The scene you've written definately portays a clear part in the Joker's lunacy, the part that I love the most :D

Again, I say well done!

Awesome Hatter, I love it! One of the things I think is vitally important to a Batman movie involving the Joker, is that Batman must despise the Joker. There has to be a reason for this, and you nailed it on the head.

Again I say, Awesome!

Much appreciated, the both of you! I gotta say Tobiaswins our script treatments both have very different but equally important openers. With yours you provide a great introduction to Harvey Dent and have some closure on the Scarecrow character while mine introduces the Joker. Both very good, and I'm very modest for us lol

I wonder how many years would past on TDK after BB.

I'm thinking it won't be more than 6 months, maybe even only one month, I get the feeling there's going to be close continuity.

My beging

Batman And Gordon are on top of the police building Gordon Has a cup of coffe in his hand and gordon Is walking around

batman- NICE Night

Gordon- Yeah

Btaman- coffe

Gordon- yeah its good stuff

Batman- right

Gordon- gots some news crane is roaming the streets hes on the run

Batman- Ill catch Him
batman heading to the edge of the building

Gordon- wait..... Theres a new dA in town his name is harvey dent you should meet him hes here to help

batman- i'll look in to it

batman jups off flying over the streets

skips to crane talking to a buch of people

crane- these drugs are good stuff

Thug- really good

crane- the best

thug- what about batman

crane- i dont think hell find us

batman breaks through the window adn does a roll

batman- crane

thug- the batman he's here shoot the bat

bullets every where missing batman then batman kicks one thug and the thug hits one guy and they fall over and one guy charges at batman with a gun and batman grabs the gun and hits the guy in teh face crane opesn the door and starts to run batman chasing him

crane- come on batman keep up

crane gets far and thinks he lost batman and starts looking around and turns around and batmans right behind him

batman- crane your going back to arkham

crane- oh i don't think so

crane grabs out gun and shoots batman 6 times and runs off

batman gets back up looks for him and he finds crane dead and a card on top of his body

batman- joker

then you hear a laugh

hahhahahhhah

thats a great begining

I dont see them having any room for Dr.Crane but it will be great if his storyline was not left hanging.

Seriously, I think actual credits and some sort of theme music would be a real nice start this time.

Then your standard intro of Chicago, maybe an exterior shot of the Bulls center. Or maybe Batman memorizing some more cliche dialogue in the Tumbler-garage swamp. Enter Michael Caine dressed up as Michael Caine, impersonating Michael Caine as Alfred and will say some smart ass comment to Bruce regarding his family's holy lineage and his sinking into insanity. Bruce will give a Christian Bale smile and make up some pathetic excuse as to why he does it...."because I want to fit in!" And we will then change scene to a DA office to the sound of drums and camera spins......again.

Or maybe some Batcyle testing. That could be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"