• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Top 10 Greatest Film Speeches & Monologues

Pacino going off the rails in And Justice for All.
De Niro quoting Brando at the end of Raging Bull

"I did not hit her, it's not true! It's b*ll*****! I did not hit her! I did NAAAAAAAAWT. Oh, hai Mark."

-Johnny, The Room

Not about to post the whole thing, but George C Scotts speech at the beginning of Patton.

I come from the future, and I have to say that Stacker Pentecost's speech in Pacific Rim is awesome.

tumblr_meywdwOVkl1rnw80to1_r2_500.gif

"Fredo, you're nothing to me now. You're not a brother, you're not a friend. I don't want to know you or what you do. I don't want to see you at the hotels. I don't want you near my house. When you see our mother, I want to know a day in advance so I won't be there."

10 speeches/montages that I love:

Some pretty mainstream ones:

1. LOTR:TTT

[YT]Soe8ayi3ScE[/YT]
Samwise Gamgee: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.
2. The Matrix Reloaded

[YT]Ju0UOrnWoZk[/YT]
Morpheus: Believe me when I say we have a difficult time ahead of us. But if we are to be prepared for it, we must first shed our fear of it. I stand here, before you now, truthfully unafraid. Why? Because I believe something you do not? No, I stand here without fear because I remember. I remember that I am here not because of the path that lies before me but because of the path that lies behind me. I remember that for 100 years we have fought these machines. I remember that for 100 years they have sent their armies to destroy us, and after a century of war I remember that which matters most... We are still here! Today, let us send a message to that army. TOnight, let us shake this cave. Tonight, let us tremble these halls of earth, steel, and stone, let us be heard from red core to black sky. Tonight, let us make them remember, THIS IS ZION AND WE ARE NOT AFRAID!
3. Watchmen:

[YT]3D7bsf5toMw[/YT]
Dr Manhattan: Miracles. Events with astronomical odds of occurring, like oxygen turning into gold. I've longed to witness such an event, and yet I neglect that in human coupling, millions upon millions of cells compete to create life, for generation after generation until, finally, your mother loves a man, Edward Blake, the Comedian, a man she has every reason to hate, and out of that contradiction, against unfathomable odds, it's you - only you - that emerged. To distill so specific a form, from all that chaos. It's like turning air into gold. A miracle. And so... I was wrong. Now dry your eyes, and let's go home.
4. Erin Brockovich:

[YT]BGX4nMrnxg0[/YT]
Erin Brockovich: First of all, since the demur we have more than 400 plaintiffs and... let's be honest, we all know there are more out there. They may not be the most sophisticated people but they do know how to divide and $20 million isn't ****** when you split it between them. Second of all, these people don't dream about being rich. They dream about being able to watch their kids swim in a pool without worrying that they'll have to have a hysterectomy at the age of *twenty*. Like Rosa Diaz, a client of ours. Or have their spine deteriorate, like Stan Blume, *another* client of ours. So before you come back here with another lame ass offer, I want you to think real hard about what your spine is worth, Mr. Walker. Or what you might expect someone to pay you for your uterus, Ms. Sanchez. Then you take out your calculator and you multiply that number by a hundred. Anything less than that is a waste of our time. By the way, we had that water brought in specially for you folks. Came from a well in Hinkley.
Some lesser known ones:

5. Special

[YT]98x6ZMDTkeI[/YT]
Les: I'm not looking forward to returning to my old life; but, the truth is, with so many billions and billions of people on the planet, most of us can't be unique or important in any meaningful way. We go to sleep, we wake up, we go to work, we eat, we spend time with friends, we watch TV, maybe we even fall in love, but we don't have any magical powers and we don't have any great battles to fight, no evil forces to defeat, and no mysterious men in suits chasing after us. We just have reality - and believing anything else is just... well, believing anything else is just crazy, isn't it?
6. Hesher

No link provided due to language.
Hesher: I pulled this gas tank from an old Chevy. I wanted to blow it up, so I did. What I didn't think about was all the little bits of metal that were going to fly out in every direction. I almost killed myself. I woke up in this hospital and this doctor was like, "Son..." and I said "Don't call me son, you ****ing ****." And he was like, "You blew off your nut." pause I just lost my nut, like that. I went ******* crazy. I assaulted a nurse or a doctor, I don't really remember. I got arrested. I went to juvee. All I could think about was my ******* nut, man. I'm missing a nut. What am I going to do? I had to go looking for it, right? So I busted out of juvee and I went searching. I couldn't find my nut. pause Well, there was this one night I was sitting there and I was taking a **** and I was looking at my balls and I was staring at this little piece of flabby sack where my left nut used to be. And then I saw my right nut for the first time. I was like **** MAN, MY NUT! Look I have one, I still have a nut. Right? It's a good nut, it works. God or the ******* devil or whoever the **** it is you know he left me with one good nut. I still have a ******* nut and it works. And my ******* **** works too. pause Okay, you lost your wife. And you lost your mom. I lost my nut.
7. Another Earth:

[YT]eOU0JhkHY3w[/YT]
Rhoda: You know that story of the Russian cosmonaut? So, the cosmonaut, He's the first man ever to go into space. Right? The Russians beat the Americans. So he goes up in this big spaceship, but the only habitable part of it's very small. So the cosmonaut's in there, and he's got this portal window, and he's looking out of it, and he sees the curvature of the Earth for the first time. I mean, the first man to ever look at the planet he's from. And he's lost in that moment. And all of a sudden this strange ticking... Begins coming out of the dashboard. Rips out the control panel, right? Takes out his tools. Trying to find the sound, trying to stop the sound. But he can't find it. He can't stop it. It keeps going. Few hours into this, begins to feel like torture. A few days go by with this sound, and he knows that this small sound... will break him. He'll lose his mind. What's he gonna do? He's up in space, alone, in a space closet. He's got 25 days left to go... with this sound. So the cosmonaut decides... the only way to save his sanity... is to fall in love with this sound. So he closes his eyes... and he goes into his imagination, and then he opens them. He doesn't hear ticking anymore. He hears music. And he spends the sailing through space in total bliss... and peace.
8. Human Traffic:

[YT]47Cya2MLsRQ[/YT]
Jip: What goes up must come down, and down, and down. Everyone looks ill at the end of the night. All have lost the power of speech, desperately avoiding eye contact. Your new soulmate, that you have been talking cod to for the past five hours about the story of creation or the fourth Star Wars film, is now a complete stranger. You can't even look him in the eye. The only thing that you have got in common now is paranoia. It is coming through the walls, man. The children of ecstasy are not safe anymore. We are no longer all together as one but separate mental patients, that yearn to be ejected out of this poisoned atmosphere to a warm bed and a friendly therapist. Reality is on her way. Where am I? What have I done? Huh... Was it worth it? By the way, what the **** happened here? All you have to look forward to now is unconsciousness. But you can never sleep...
9. Rules of Attraction

No link provided due to language (but defo worth finding if you can be bothered, because it's all said super fast to a montage).
In spoiler tags because it is LONG :funny:
Victor: Took a charter flight on a DC-10 to London. Landed at Heathrow. Took a cab to the city center. Don't let people lie to you: hostels are for the ugly. I'm staying in Home House, the most beautiful hotel in the world. Called a friend from school who was selling hash, but she wasn't in. Met a couple of Brits who take me to, of all places, Camden Street. I flirt a bit at the Virgin Megastore, buy some CDs, then follow some girls with pink hair. I wandered around trying to get laid, until it started to rain, then went back to Home House. Ministry of Sound is dead, so I go to Remform - but it's Gay Night. I find the one hetero girl in the place and we dry hump on the dance floor. We cab it back to Home House. I strip her clothes off, suck her toes, and we ****. I hung out for four or five days. Met the world's biggest DJ, Paul Oakenfold. Kept missing the Changing of the Guards. Wrote my mom a postcard I never sent. Bought some speed from an Italian junkie who was trying to sell me a stolen bike. Smoked a lot of hash that had too much tobacco in it. Saw the Tate. Saw Big Ben. Ate a lot of weird English food. It rained a lot, it was expensive, and I'm jonesing... So, I split for Amsterdam. The Dutch all know English, so I didn't have to speak any Dutch - which was a relief. I cruise the Red Light District. Visit a sex show. Visit a sex museum. Smoke a lot of hash. I meet a Dutch TV actress and we drink absinthe at a bar called Absinthe. The museums were cool, I guess. Lots of Van Goghs and the Vermeers were intense. Wandered around. Bought a lot of pastries. Ate some intense waffles. We bought some coke and I cruised the Red Light District, until I found some blonde with big **** that reminds me of Lara. I gave her a hundred guilders. In the end, she pulls me out, and I *** between her ****, even though I'm wearing a rubber. Afterward we made small-talk about AIDS, her Moroccan pimp, and herself. I wake to the sound of a wino singing. It's 8 AM and hot as blazes. I pretend to ice-skate around Central Station, while someone plays the sax. Trade songs with a Kiwi girl... Then split for Paris by train. Wander the Champs-Elysees. Climb the Eiffel Tower for only seven francs, because the ticket machine was broken. Got the hang of the Metro, took it everywhere. Went to a Ford model party and hooked up with a Romanian model named Karina. She chugs my cock at the Mariott Champs-Elysees, which is good. We played billiards, went shopping. I think she gave me mono. Drove a Ferrari that belonged to a member of the Saudi royal family. Made out with a Dutch model in front of the Louvre. Saw the Arc de Triomphe and almost became road-kill crossing the street... "Oakie" invites me to Dublin, so I catch an Aer Lingus flight and stay at the Morrison. Dublin rocks like you can't imagine. Oakenfold lets me spin some discs with him. Irish girls are as small as leprechauns. I swap hickeys with a drunk woman. After groping my abs and calling me "Mr. L.A.", she strips for me in the bath room of the club. Sneak into the Guinness factory and steal some stout so good my dick goes hard... I fly to Barcelona, which was a low-rent bust. Too many fat American students. Too many lame meat markets. I dropped acid at the Sagrada Familia, which was a trip to say the least. Cruise up the coast to the Museo Gala Dali, but had no more acid, which sucked. Some girl from Camden calls me on my cell, so I let her listen to the church bells in Cadaques. Canta Cruz is beautiful, but there are no girls here, just old hippies... So, I went to Switzerland where I, ironically, couldn't find anyone who had the time. Took the Glacier Express up the Schilthorn, which is beautiful in a way I can't describe... Euro Pass into Italy and ended up in Venice, where I met a hot girl who looks like Rachael Leigh Cook and speaks better English than I do. She's living for a year on only five dollars a day. We gondola around, buy some masks. She think's I'm a capitalist, because my hotel room costs more for one night than she's spending her entire trip. But she doesn't mind it so much when I pay the bills... I ditch her and hook up with a couple who obviously want a 3-some. Too much tension there, but the doofus offers to drive me to Rome, an offer I jump at. Traffic is bad and we're stopped for hours without moving. The wife turns out to be a freak. The guy starts to wig out on me. It's like a Polanski film... We stop for a while in Florence, where I see some big dome. A bomb goes off and I lose the weird couple, which is probably for the best... Ended up in Rome, which is big and hot and dirty. It was just like L.A., but with ruins. I went to the Vatican, which was ridiculously opulent. Stood for two hours to get into the Sistine Chapel, which - now that it's been cleaned - looks fake. I meet two under-age Italian girls who I try to talk into ****ing each other while I jack off onto them. Bored, I buy them some ice cream instead. My hotel has a gym, so I work out. I bump into some guy from Camden who says he knows me, but I'm sure that he's a ***, so I lose him. I try to fart and instead **** my pants. Back in my hotel room, I *********e and have a pain in my groin. That night, I dream about a beautiful girl, half in water, stretching her lean body. She asks me if I like it and I tell her she can clean fish with it. I don't know what it means, but I wake well-rested, *********e in the shower, and check out... I make my way back to London and hang out in Piccadilly Circus. Hmm. Palakon. I swap shirts with some upper-crusty Cambridge chick. Hers was an Agnes B., mine a Costume Nationale. She acts stuffy and prudish, but is really wild underneath it all. She barely looks at my abs, though she wants to. The next day, I drop some acid and get lost in the subway for a full day and can't find my way out. I meet a cute girl who lets me jack off onto her as long as no *** gets onto her Paul Smith coat. We get stoned while listening to Michael Jackson records and the next morning I wake up talking to myself. I have a big bump on my head from flailing in my sleep. I get my stuff and barely make my plane back to the United States... I no longer know who I am and I feel like the ghost of a total stranger.
10. Smashed

[YT]ndwOa5Nu_7Q[/YT]
Kate: Uh... I'm Kate. I'm an alcoholic. I'm sorry, i'm gonna laugh... um, just those words are weird. I mean I guess I... yeah, I don't know if i'm an alcoholic really, I just drink. I drink a lot. And i've always drank a lot, everyone I know drinks a lot. So I never really thought it was a problem. But lately it kind of seems like it is, so... I mean I just wanna be able to have a beer without it turning into 20 or... wetting the bed. It just sort of seems like every time I drink something awful happens. All the things that used to be funny... they're not really funny anymore. And, um, things have gone from embarassing to scary... so yeah, i'm kind of scared.

Last edited:
Gandalf's words of wisdom to Frodo in FOTR always gets me.

[YT]mxJtFvNByKw[/YT]

"Number One, why aren't you in when I ****ing told you to be in? Number Two, why doesn't this hotel have phones with ****ing voicemail and not have to leave messages with the ****ing receptionist? Number Three, you better ****ing be in tomorrow night when I ****ing call again or there'll be ****ing hell to pay. I'm ****ing telling you - Harry" - Ralph Fiennes as Harry from In Bruges

"An Uzi? I'm not from South Central Los ****ing Angeles. I didn't come here to shoot twenty black ten year olds in a drive-by. I want a normal gun for a normal person." - Ralph Fiennes as Harry from In Bruges

"I do want the guy dead, I want him ****ing crucified but it don't change the fact that he stitched you up like a blind little gay boy, does it?" - Ralph Fiennes as Harry from In Bruges

Oh, and the end of Life of Pi:

I was so spent I couldn't move. And so Richard Parker went ahead of me. He stretched his legs and walked along the shore. At the edge of the jungle, he stopped. I was certain he was going to look back at me, flatten his ears to his head, growl - that he'd bring our relationship to an end in some way. But he just stared ahead into the jungle.

And then Richard Parker, my fierce companion, the terrible one who kept me alive, disappeared forever from my life. After a few hours, a member of my own species found me. He left and returned with a group who carried me away. I wept like a child, not because I was overwhelmed at having survived, although I was. I was weeping because Richard Parker left me so unceremoniously. It broke my heart

You know, my father was right. Richard Parker never saw me as his friend. After all we'd been through, he didn't even look back. But I have to believe that there was more in his eyes than my own reflection staring back at me. I know I felt it - even if I can't prove it. I just wish...You know, I've left so much behind. My family, the zoo, Anandi, India - I suppose in the end the whole of life becomes an act of letting go. But what always hurts the most is not taking the moment to say goodbye. I was never able to thank my father for all I learned from him, to tell him that without his lessons I would never have survived...

And I know he's a tiger, but I wish I'd said: 'It's over. We've survived. Thank you for saving my life. I love you, Richard Parker. You will always be with me.

Last edited:
Cervantes - Don Quixote Man of la Mancha - "I have lived nearly fifty years, and I have seen life as it is. Pain, misery, hunger ... cruelty beyond belief. I have heard the voices of god's noblest creatures, and the moans from bundles of filth on the streets. I have been a soldier and seen my comrades fall in battle ... or die more slowly under the lash in Africa. I have held them in my arms at the final moment. These were men who saw life as it is, yet they died despairing. No glory, no gallant last words ... only their eyes filled with confusion, whimpering the question, "Why?"
I do not think they asked why they were dying, but why they had lived.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness? To surrender dreams, this may be madness? To seek treasure, where there is only trash? Too much sanity may be madness? And maddest of all, to see life as it is, ....and not as it
should be!."

Last edited:
Conan The Barbarian (1982)

Conan's Father: "Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god. Grom, and he lives in the earth. Once giants lived in the earth, Conan, and in the darkness of chaos they fooled Crom and took from him the secret of steel. Crom was angered, and the earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and cast their bodies into the waters. But in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. And it's we who found it. Oh, just men. Not giants, not gods, just men. The secret of steel has always had with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must master its discipline. For nothing, nothing in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust."

Thulsa Doom: "I wish to speak with you now. Where is The Eye Of The Serpent? Rexor tells me you gave it to a girl. Probably for a mere nights pleasure. People have no grasp of what they do. You broke into my house. Stole my property. Murdered my servants, and my pets. And that is what greaves me the most! You killed my snake. Thorgrym is beside himself with grief. He raised that snake, from the day it was born!"

"You killed my mother! You killed my father! You killed my PEOPLE! You took my father's sword!"

"Ah! That must have been when I was younger. There was a time, boy, when I searched for steel. When steel meant more to me than gold or jewels."

"The riddle . . . of steel."

"Yes. You know what it is, don't you boy? Shall I tell you? It's the least I can do. Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger! Take a look around you. There, on the rocks. That beautiful girl. Come! Come to me my child!" (She leaps to her death) "That is strength, boy! That is power! The strength and the power of flesh! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it? Look at the strength of your body. The desire in your heart. I gave you this! Such a waste. Contimplate this on the Tree Of Woe. Cricify him."

Conan: "Crom. I have never prayed to you before. I have no time for it. No one, not even you will remember, if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. No, all that matters is that two stood against many. Valour pleases you Crom. So grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen? Then the hell with you!"

Alec Baldwin's character in Malice:

"I have an M.D. from Harvard, I am board certified in cardio-thoracic medicine and trauma surgery, I have been awarded citations from seven different medical boards in New England, and I am never, ever sick at sea. So I ask you; when someone goes into that chapel and they fall on their knees and they pray to God that their wife doesn't miscarry or that their daughter doesn't bleed to death or that their mother doesn't suffer acute neural trama from postoperative shock, who do you think they're praying to? Now, go ahead and read your Bible, _Dennis_, and you go to your church, and, with any luck, you might win the annual raffle, but if you're looking for God, he was in operating room number two on November 17, and he doesn't like to be second guessed. You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something: I am God."

Friday The 13th: "Oh this place! Steve never should have tried to open this place again! There's been too much trouble here! Did you know that a young boy drowned, the year before those two others were killed. The counselors weren't paying any attention! They were making love while that young boy drowned! His name was Jason. I was working here the day that it happened. In the kitchen, preparing meals. I was the cook. Jason should have been watched! Every minute! He was . . . He wasn't . . . A very good swimmer. We can go now, child."
"I couldn't let them open this place again, could I? You see, Jason was my son. And today is his birthday. You let him drown! You never paid any attention to him! Look what you did to him! Look what you did to him!"
-Betsy Palmer-

the best speech and monologue obviously goes to Charlie Chaplin.... without a doubt, better than anything listed in anyone else's choices... The Great Dictator... the best speech in cinema history and that was done in 1940... it holds true to this very day, more so now than ever before... just absolutely fantastic...

the best speech and monologue obviously goes to Charlie Chaplin.... without a doubt, better than anything listed in anyone else's choices... The Great Dictator... the best speech in cinema history and that was done in 1940... it holds true to this very day, more so now than ever before... just absolutely fantastic...

Can you type it out? Or at least post a video link?

Friday The 13th Part 2: "I don't want to frighten anyone, but I'm gonna give it to you straight about Jason. His body was never recovered after he drowned in 1957. If you listen to some of the old timers in town, they'll tell you he's still out there. Full grown, living in the wild. Steeling what he needs to survive. Living off of wild animals and vegetation. Some folks even claim to have seen him. That girl who survived that night at Camp Blood, that Friday the 13th, she claimed that she saw him. She disappeared two months later. Her apartment was covered in blood. Nobody knows what happened to her. Legend has it that Jason saw his mother being beheaded that night, and came back for revenge. A revenge he will continue to seek if anyone ever enters his woods again. I guess I don't have to tell you, we're the first people to come back here since it happened. For five years, five long years, Jason has been dormant. Always on the prowl. Always in search for intruders. Thirsting, for fresh, young, blood. Jason's out there, and he's hungry."

-John Furey as Paul Holt-

"How dare you talk to me like that! You should tell me everything! Why, Lisa? Why, Lisa? Please talk to me, please! You are part of my life! You are everything! I could not go on without you, Lisa. You're lying! I never hit you! You are tearing me apart, Lisa!"

-The Room

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

- Agent Smith (The Matrix)

Agreed

Nothing comes close.

Mel Gibson's speech to people of Scotland in Braveheart

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

- Agent Smith (The Matrix)

You can't help but read this out loud in the same tone, pace and delivery as Agent Smith.

[YT]QcvjoWOwnn4[/YT]

Just witness the mastery... nothing in 60+ years of cinema comes close. If I'm ever feeling emo, self absorbed, whiney and ****, I go back and watch only a few things to keep me in check sometimes to see just how bad things really could be and how much things could be better... this and Sly Stallone's Rocky 6 speech, amazing inspiring pieces

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"