Arkham_Insane.)

what are yours?

heres mine of the few i've read..

1. all star superman
2. superman for all seasons
3. whatever happened to the man of tommorow

(red son is pritty damn good n all)

Red son is awesome.

Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow is an absolute classic, and All-Star Superman is soon to be.

But to be honest, I don't know if I could pick a favourite. I will have to have another read through them all and get back to you.

(Any excuse!;) )

just got superman emperor joker,so far an interesting read, liking it a lot, need more recomendations for quality supes books.

mines are :
For all seasons, For Tommorrow, and Byrne's Man of Steel. But a lot of Superman stories are great : for the man who has everything, Red Son, the Ruin story arc, etc, .... :up:

garbage ? why ?!? It's the essence of the character. It can be better here and there but in general, it's the basis for Superman, isn't it ?

I dont want to list my top 3 at the moment because i finally got round to reading The Return Of Superman this week and am really enjoying it, so it might break into the top 3 yet.

Oh what the hell! Current top 3:

1) Kingdom Come
2) For Tommorrow
3) The Death Of Superman

garbage ? why ?!? It's the essence of the character. It can be better here and there but in general, it's the basis for Superman, isn't it ?

ROFL, Brynre's Superman was a farmboy yuppie Clark Kent, basically a Peter Parker rip-off. It was and is so bad. Nothing "essential". Straight to garbage with it for all times. We don't need to "marvelize" DC. Superman is the best that humanity could become and this is the "essence", not a guy who is "one of us". And I am not even a Byrne hater. And compare the story itself (not the new Superman, who sucked) to, say, Wonder Woman's "Gods & Mortals" and Batman's "Year One" you'll see that it is pathetic. Stillborn, the new superman was.

I'm glad it's over.

I agree.

My Top 3 -

1) Kingdom Come
2) World Without Superman
3) Man of Steel

1. For Tomorrow
2. Superman : Doomsday Hunter/Prey
3. Man of Steel

I have the first 3 or 4 issues of All-Star Superman and found it quite bad...did it end up getting better? The hole Lois going to the Fortress and getting powers, etc was kinda lame to me.

I'm have my list:
Red Sun
Birthright
For All Seasons

-R

ROFL, Brynre's Superman was a farmboy yuppie Clark Kent, basically a Peter Parker rip-off. It was and is so bad. Nothing "essential". Straight to garbage with it for all times. We don't need to "marvelize" DC. Superman is the best that humanity could become and this is the "essence", not a guy who is "one of us". And I am not even a Byrne hater. And compare the story itself (not the new Superman, who sucked) to, say, Wonder Woman's "Gods & Mortals" and Batman's "Year One" you'll see that it is pathetic. Stillborn, the new superman was.

I'm glad it's over.

Glad to see I'm not the only one in that camp these days.

Anywho, my picks would have to be:

1) Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
2) All-Star Superman
3) Birthright

I have the first 3 or 4 issues of All-Star Superman and found it quite bad...did it end up getting better? The hole Lois going to the Fortress and getting powers, etc was kinda lame to me.

Depends on how you define "better." All-Star Supes is intentionally cheesy and Silver-Agey, so if you're looking for more contemporary/serious stuff, then no. Personally, I find it a hell of a lot more fun than most comics for the sheer fact that it doesn't take itself so seriously.

Depends on how you define "better." All-Star Supes is intentionally cheesy and Silver-Agey, so if you're looking for more contemporary/serious stuff, then no. Personally, I find it a hell of a lot more fun than most comics for the sheer fact that it doesn't take itself so seriously.

Yeah, probably not my cup of tea then. I'm not a fan of the silver age....like at all. I'm a contemporary guy, when the stories are good.

-R

(EDIT: Rather than start yet another new-school vs old-school argument that doesn't settle anything, I'm just going to let that snide last remark go)

I'm glad it's over.
I didn't even think of him as a rip off of P.Parker. I think it was a good idea to explore clark identity. Indeed, when I compare it with the examples you mentionned, I don't find it pathetic at all. I keep thinking it's the basis : a kryptonian raised by farmers in the kansas who edukated him well and gave him great valors. I don't find this marvelize the character. But I think good ideas are both in DC and Marvel, and if something is good, then why not take it.
I'm glad it's over too, but I think the story is the basis for the Superman, I show it to anyone who doesn't know Superman ; then, they like it or not, but at least they know the essential.

I didn't even think of him as a rip off of P.Parker. I think it was a good idea to explore clark identity. Indeed, when I compare it with the examples you mentionned, I don't find it pathetic at all. I keep thinking it's the basis : a kryptonian raised by farmers in the kansas who edukated him well and gave him great valors.

that's superficial. Scripting Clark Kent as the real person is wrong. He is just a pair of glasses. And that's just one thing that is wrong with Byrne's take. Superman became just a regular guy who happend to be from Krypton and possessed great powers. But Superman is not one of us, he is a half-god amongst mortals. He is the perfection of humanity and not a representation.

I'll agree with that. Even if it does make him "unrelatable" on a superficial level, the Superman-is-the-real-guy level of the character is what makes him unique among the capes. The fact that, even among other superheroes, he doesn't belong, is one of the defining and most relatable parts of the Superman story, and Byrne sweeps it under the rug.

Not to mention he turned Lex Luthor into a clone of the Kingpin.

I actually do think Byrne is a good writer, but he really seems out of his element when he writes DC characters. His run on Wonder Woman is a perfect example of that. The fact that there wasn't a singular coherent Superman origin before MoS does help Byrne's case, but I still think he missed the point of the character.

I'm near the end of Return Of Superman now and think it will break into my top 3.

I am finding it a great read and the most enjoyable of the trilogy of books.

I'll agree with that. Even if it does make him "unrelatable" on a superficial level, the Superman-is-the-real-guy level of the character is what makes him unique among the capes. The fact that, even among other superheroes, he doesn't belong, is one of the defining and most relatable parts of the Superman story, and Byrne sweeps it under the rug.

Yeah, and it makes me said that so many modern fans don't want to see that. It makes Superman special.

Not to mention he turned Lex Luthor into a clone of the Kingpin.

Honestly, for the beginning of the new Superman saga 1986 I thought this concept wasn't that bad - at least as a start. But Superman looked so effect-less. After a short time he should have taken down his criminal empire and Lex Luthor should have become the megalomanic renegade scientist he was before. But what did they? They made him the president of the United States :huh: I must admit this status quo would have made a few interesting stories - but actually they did nothing with it.
I actually do think Byrne is a good writer, but he really seems out of his element when he writes DC characters. His run on Wonder Woman is a perfect example of that. The fact that there wasn't a singular coherent Superman origin before MoS does help Byrne's case, but I still think he missed the point of the character.

I think that, too. I am not one of those "Byrne haters" that float around the internet these days. We also have to understand that a lot of these changes weren't coming from him. Wolfman and DC are to blame, too. I am not the greatest Marvel man but he made some of the best Fanastic 4 and X-Men stories out there and is an excellent artist. He shows dedication and is not one of these guys who miss every deadline because they feel like movie stars. He is a good writer but his approach never fit with DC. His "The Many Deaths of the Batman" story was good though.

1º Superman For All Seasons
2º Superman: Secret Identity
3º Superman: Peace On Earth

New top 3, i forgot about some of these when making the last one:

1) The Return Of Superman
2) For Tomorrow
3) Superman: Exile

Kingdom Come, The Death Of Superman and Sacrifice all still get honourable mentions as well.

1) DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore (includes "For the Man Who Has Everything" and "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow," among other stories. Pick it up!)
2) Birthright
3) Kingdom Come

Byrne's MoS would have been my number 1, but I don't have it in TPB form. I've got all of the individual issues instead. I thoroughly embrace Clark Kent being developed as a character instead of it just being a disguise, because it doesn't make sense for Clark to just be a disguise (Superman can hear police broadcasts, so it's not like he needs to hang around the Daily Planet to hear about crimes as they happen, such as many writers have explained his requiring of a disguise). If Clark were only a disguise, then Superman would have many years' worth of experiences similar to when all of his coworkers stood him up for dinner and constantly ridiculed him in "Birthright," which isn't very a Superman-ish thing for him to willingly endure on a regular basis and is actually quite pathetic (I do love that story as a standalone, but I wouldn't want it as a new official origin).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"