Comics top 3 superman tpb's

• Thread starter Arkham_Insane.)
  • Start date
that's superficial. Scripting Clark Kent as the real person is wrong. He is just a pair of glasses. And that's just one thing that is wrong with Byrne's take. Superman became just a regular guy who happend to be from Krypton and possessed great powers. But Superman is not one of us, he is a half-god amongst mortals. He is the perfection of humanity and not a representation.
I don't find it superficial at all.Superman is not the real person, and Clark Kent is a lot more than a pair of glasses.
And I believe that, indeed, Superman is one of us, even if that doesn't mean he can't feel alone or different.
Personnally, I keep thinking that Superman can be seen in 3 different ways : Kal El, the immigrant half-god, Superman, the superhero with a strong will, or Clark Kent , the man raised by the kent.
I think the 3 are good and interesting but from the clark Kent-reporter point of view, Byrne's MoS is essential.

I don't find it superficial at all.Superman is not the real person, and Clark Kent is a lot more than a pair of glasses.
And I believe that, indeed, Superman is one of us, even if that doesn't mean he can't feel alone or different.

"Yes, it's Superman. Strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men.

Superman, who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel in his bare hands, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great Metropolitan newspaper...

fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way."

'Nuff said. Byrne got it wrong.

"Yes, it's Superman. Strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men.

Superman, who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel in his bare hands, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great Metropolitan newspaper...

'Nuff said. Byrne got it wrong.
That mantra had been outdated for a long time before Byrne ever came onto the scene. The part of it; "came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men," says that he had the powers when he got here, instead of them coming from the yellow sun of our solar system.

You can have your opinion that Byrne's interpretation is wrong, but it is not fact (nor is CLARKY's opinion fact, for that matter). But using that introduction from the cartoon doesn't prove a damn thing, except how outdated it is.

That mantra had been outdated for a long time before Byrne ever came onto the scene. The part of it; "came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men," says that he had the powers when he got here, instead of them coming from the yellow sun of our solar system.

You can have your opinion that Byrne's interpretation is wrong, but it is not fact (nor is CLARKY's opinion fact, for that matter). But using that introduction from the cartoon doesn't prove a damn thing, except how outdated it is.

yeah, I understand! The guys who created Superman got it WRONG.

Yeah, and Batman murders criminals left and right. :rolleyes:
You're a fool if you don't accept a character being able to evolve past what he was initially conceived as over many decades worth of writers shaping and refining him.

Yeah, and Batman murders criminals left and right. :rolleyes:
You're a fool if you don't accept a character being able to evolve past what he was initially conceived as over many decades worth of writers shaping and refining him.

Batman did not kill many criminals. Superman did it, too.

"Refining" is nothing. Why turn a character into something that he is not? It's wrong. The Golden Age Superman, the Silver Age one, the Bronze Age one - all were Superman. Byrne's Superman was just "Marvelman".

That has to be one of the most narrow-minded and uninformed rebuttals I've ever seen. Kudos for making my day, even before noon. :up:

That has to be one of the most narrow-minded and uninformed rebuttals I've ever seen. Kudos for making my day, even before noon. :up:

"uninformed" :whatever:

Yeah, everone who wears a blue suit with a s is Superman, finally I see!!!

I'm tempted to make that my new sig as the epitome of close-mindedness among fanboys. :woot:

EDIT: In fact, I will.

1) Red Son
2) Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
3) Superman For All Seasons

Also the All Star Superman comics. They're amazing. I also love Man of Steel, and all the old-school 1960s comics, which are available in the super-cheap black and white SHOWCASE sets.

Isn't that monologue from the 50's TV show? That was hardly a true vision of Superman.

That TV show is about as accurate a portayal for Superman, as the 70's Hulk TV show was for the Hulk character.

This was a great thread to read. I've never read a more moronic take of Superman from someone who could write like a fairly intelligent adult.

Isn't that monologue from the 50's TV show? That was hardly a true vision of Superman.

That TV show is about as accurate a portayal for Superman, as the 70's Hulk TV show was for the Hulk character.

This was a great thread to read. I've never read a more moronic take of Superman from someone who could write like a fairly intelligent adult.
:up:

"the infant of Krypton is now the man of steel, Superman! To best be in a position to use his amazing powers in a never ending battle for truth and justice, Superman has assumed the disguise of Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper."

Well, I would say that the 70s Hulk show was at least more accurate than this terrible movie from a few years ago.

It's the take that makes Superman special and the cool character that he is/was. I didn't make it. It was those of the creators, from 1938 till 1986. :gray:

If you're going to use Superman's status in 1938 to back up your view, you might as well say that you don't like him having the power of flight either, since all he could do back then was leap over buildings in a single bound. :huh:

If you're going to use Superman's status in 1938 to back up your view, you might as well say that you don't like him having the power of flight either, since all he could do back then was leap over buildings in a single bound. :huh:

it's not the same. His powers aren't the essential thing. Essential is that he is the Man of Tomorrow.

It doesn't matter whether it's personality or powers; you've based your opinion on how he was written in 1938, but are discounting any elements from that period that you don't agree with. The very foundation of your side of the debate really doesn't hold any weight whatsoever by that logic. You've done nothing but reinforce matthooper's last sentence 100%.
I've never read a more moronic take of Superman from someone who could write like a fairly intelligent adult.

It doesn't matter whether it's personality or powers; you've based your opinion on how he was written in 1938, but are discounting any elements from that period that you don't agree with. The very foundation of your side of the debate really doesn't hold any weight whatsoever by that logic. You've done nothing but reinforce matthooper's last sentence 100%.

You would accept a cow with a cape as Superman.

Amazing rebuttal. Completely solidifies anything you say. :whatever:

And now you seem to be doing your best to narrow it down to just this:
I've never read a more moronic take of Superman
You really are quite the idiot without even the most basic tools of having a conversation. Do you have trouble taking the child-proof caps off of Aspirin bottles?

And now you seem to be doing your best to narrow it down to just this:You really are quite the idiot without even the most basic tools of having a conversation. Do you have trouble taking the child-proof caps off of Aspirin bottles?

I am a chronic m*therf* :word:

1)Birthright
2)For All Seasons
3)Death of Superman

I haven't read Red Son yet, so my order may change if it is as good as I hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"