Comics Superman Comics Reccomendations

I honestly can't decide which story I like better, Man of Steel or Birthright. I mean, I always personally felt that the birthing matrix was a really stupid and pointless idea, and I'm really not sure how I feel about the idea of Clark being the quarterback in high school, but Man of Steel did have a lot of things I liked, such as Supermans powers being given limitations, the Kents both being alive into Clarks adulthood, and Luthor being turned into a man who's untouchable and above the law because of all the money and power he has.

Birthright had some great stuff as well, such as Luthor being a combination of his pre-crisis and post-crisis incarnations, getting a huge glimpse into what Clark was doing in between Smallville and Metropolis, and Krypton being portrayed more like the pre-crisis version. But I didn't like the idea of soul-vision powers, the Clark Kent identity being reverted back to being nothing more than a disguise, Kryptonite not being harmful to humans at all, and Superman being a vegetarian. But both stories had a lot of good stuff as well as bad stuff. And personally, I think that if they ever decide to do a reboot of the Superman movie franchise like they did with Batman (more necessary than ever now after the travesty that was Superman Rehashes), it should be a combination of Man of Steel and Birthright. And if they have time, some elements from Superman For All Seasons could be thrown in as well.

So what is "For All Seasons"?
It is the year (the 4 seasons) when Clark leaved Smallville and arrived in Metropolis. It's pretty good. My favorite book of Superman. The story is sweet, romantic, the art is beautiful IMO and the colors are beautiful (even if at first it seemed odd to me). Good read anyway. :up:

Thank you, Ok good I'm pretty sure I know which books to start off with now!

Just read Superman/Batman:public Enemies, thought that was awesome, highly recommended.

Quick question, does Superman/Batman:Absolute Power follow Superman/Batman: Supergirl?

Is superman currently being collected in trades? I know last son is about to be released but is superman regularly being collected?

i'm not sure...

if you're looking for trades, pick up SUPERMAN: FOR ALL SEASONS

THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN IS ESSENTIAL

ive already picked up death of superman (still gotta get the other two parts), superman doomsday and all-star superman. Our worlds at war is also on my list of wants but im wondering if the current series is being collected.

There are tons of Superman trades, I think I have 200+ now, google it and you see a big list of all of them

I'm writing a Superman reboot script. What GNs/hardbacks/TPBs should I read?

Hey does anybody know graphic novels between Batman and Superman like The Dark Knight Returns where they basically kick the s*** out of each other?

You mean "Graphic Novles where Superman doesn't want to fight and Batman still cannot beat him with all the technology"?

BTW, they "battle" in HUSH, but of course there will never be a complete Superman/Batman fight because... well Batman would loose within 0,1 seconds.

Hey does anybody know graphic novels between Batman and Superman like The Dark Knight Returns where they basically kick the s*** out of each other?

They have couple of set-too's in Superman/Batman: Public Enemies and For Tomorrow, but in both cases its just a case of Superman embarrasing Batman.

Also in Sacrifice, Superman almost kills Batman after being brain warped into thinking he is Darkseid.

In A Death in the Family, Batman punches Superman. Superman stops him from crippling himself by rolling with the punch.

Any advice here would be appreciated. In the past couple of years I've went from being a fan of comic book films and TV shows to being a fan of the comics as well. I'd previously only had a passing interest, and it's rarely extended to Superman. However, I feel like giving him more of a try and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for someone relatively new to Superman comics.

All Star Superman Vol. 1
Superman In The 70s
Superman: Exile
Superman: Birthright

^Exile definately, and Superman in the 80's was more enjoyable than the 70's one IMO, but both were good.

I would also recommend both volumes of For Tomorrow, Godfall, The Journey, Kingdom Come, Sacrifice, and Ruin Revealed (though you are better reading all books in the Ruin saga), also, Superman:Doomsday and the Death, World Without, Return trilogy.

Thanks very much guys. I get paid every four weeks and thus I'm paid twice in October so as well as treating myself to a PS3 I was planning on getting some comics. I'll definitely check out those you've recommended and post my thoughts after reading.

^Hope you enjoy them, drop in here any time if you want some more recommendations, there are tons of Superman stories so others may have others to recommend to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"