Top Gun: Maverick

I watched Ghost Protocol and Fallout today. Anybody elsewatch any Tom Cruise Movies to celebrate the Fourth?
Anybody go for Born On The Fourth of July?

You know, I’ve never seen Born on the 4th of July. I’ve heard it’s his best performance (or one of them). Really need to give that one a watch. I always forget about it.

Last edited:
Tom Cruise go-tos:

- Top Gun
- A Few Good Men
- Any Mission Impossible (even part 2)
- Cocktail
- Days of Thunder

Happy 35th to TOP GUN!

Fc2852S.jpg

Jerry Maguire for me

Legend has a soft spot.

What do ya’ll think is Cruise’s most underrated performance? I have to go with Rock of Ages. The movie is kind of a mixed bag but Cruise is amazing in it. He perfectly embodies the 80s rock star.

Honorable mentions: Eyes Wide Shut, Knight & Day

What do ya’ll think is Cruise’s most underrated performance? I have to go with Rock of Ages. The movie is kind of a mixed bag but Cruise is amazing in it. He perfectly embodies the 80s rock star.

Honorable mentions: Eyes Wide Shut, Knight & Day
K & D was kinda off for me, at times felt like a comedy, then action drama.. tonally it felt off and I guess because I have never seen Cruise in that kinda movie before...
honestly, I liked Vanilla Sky...

Underrated? Probably Edge of Tomorrow. Not that anyone called it terrible but he brought a surprising amount of humor and humanity to that role.

K & D was kinda off for me, at times felt like a comedy, then action drama.. tonally it felt off and I guess because I have never seen Cruise in that kinda movie before...
honestly, I liked Vanilla Sky...

I think that’s what I liked about K&D; it was a different kind of action hero role for him. He was kinda poking fun at his typical hero character and I enjoyed it. Vanilla Sky is pretty good but I’ve never been wild about the final reveal. It was a bold ending but I’m still not sure how I feel about it.

Underrated? Probably Edge of Tomorrow. Not that anyone called it terrible but he brought a surprising amount of humor and humanity to that role.

EOT is great. Not sure if that sequel will ever happen but I hope so.

I'll have to check that out. I've enjoyed most of Cruise's movies, with Mission Impossible being at the top. It's the best demonstration of his bravery and creativity.

Edge of Tomorrow is an underrated performance, especially since he's playing against type for a majority of the first act. Not sure if I'd call it his most though. The Firm and Eyes Wide Shut would probably be up there.

I just saw Top Gun for the first time (in its entirety). I’m ready for the sequel now.

I assumed everyone had seen it by now! Your post made me think how great it would be to see some of the films I know so well for the first time again and get that sense of wonder - Matrix, Back to the Future, Terminator, many more

I assumed everyone had seen it by now! Your post made me think how great it would be to see some of the films I know so well for the first time again and get that sense of wonder - Matrix, Back to the Future, Terminator, many more

I had seen clips of it here and there on YouTube but never in its entirety in one sitting. There’s other Tom Cruise movies from the 80s and early 90s that I’ve never seen before (only heard of them but never seen) like Born on the 4th of July, Days of Thunder, All the Right Moves, The Color of Money, Far and Away. I think I’ve seen most of his movies that came out from the mid 90s and after.

Paramount Brings Mission: Impossible, Top Gun: Maverick, and More to CinemaCon

Top Gun: Maverick showed off the first 13 minutes to the crowd at CinemaCon. It started with the brilliant tune of Top Gun's theme song over the credits and earned an applause when its title took the screen. A golden sea set saw pilots launching their aircrafts from a carrier, as "Danger Zone," took over. Maverick, in the present day, is caring for a plane. He has photos of himself and others from the time of the original film, along with a shot of Miles Teller's new character. He puts on his classic jacket, grabs his Kawasaki bike, and rides out into the desert. Top Gun's music brings back every bit of nostalgic appreciation for the original film.

In a hangar, Maverick is informed that his program is being shutdown. The conversation is set beside a black stealth plane. The higher ups want Mach 10. Maverick believes he can "give them Mach 10" before the team arrives to shut them down. He quickly trains his body, suits up, and gets ready to fly in a black suit that borders that of an astronaut. He loads into the lane after being reminded he does not need to push it beyond Mach 10. "Not 10.1, Mach 10." The plane starts up. The speakers and bass roar through Caesar's Palace's Coloseum with its jets. Maverick preps for take off as Admiral Chester Kane arrives. Ed Harris wants to kill the program, Maverick wants "one last ride," and he feels the responsibility to others to achieve the task. Harris' Admiral enters the control room after Maverick takes off right over his head, leaving angel wings of dust surrounding him. Maverick pretends that his comms are cutting out and soars above the clouds. He is at 7.3 Pushing 8. Beautiful shots from above show the plane rip across the screen to the backdrop of clouds and earth. Mach 9. "He's the fastest man alive," he friend declares. Maverick sees the sun rise and utters, "Talkl to me goose." He is at Mach 9.3. The lane is heating up. 9.4. 9.5. 9.6. 9.7. The windshield is getting too hot. The surface temperature of the craft is rising. 9.8. "Just a little more," Maverick begs. 9.9. "Come on! Come on!" Still at 9.9 until... Mach 10!

The control room cheers. Maverick wants more though. "Just a little push," he says. Throtte forward. 10.1. 10.2. The plane is beeping. Master Caution lights up. 10.4 and the jets cut out. Damage to the craft. The control room loses contact with him. From the ground, the expoding ship looks like a meteor bursting colorful into the atmosphere at sunrise. Maverick stumbles into a diner in his jump suit. He is covered in ash and dust and accepts water from a waitress and asks, "Where am I?"

"Earth," a little boy tells him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"