The Dark Knight Two years later: Heath Ledger's performance

Every time I see Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker I die a little on the inside knowing I'll never see it again.

I think Ledger's performance is still as highly regarded as it was when the movie was released. There was naturally some opposition because the character was so radically different than the actual Joker, but the iconic Joker was already portrayed in so many ways, in both movies and animated series. A new approach was needed and the reinvention was quite successfull as everyone can tell. I think now everyone is even more appreciative of Ledger's performance because that intial reaction to the change is gone

Can anyone explain this? (I don't know where to post this, there really is no OFFICIAL HEATH LEDGER JOKER thread, or anything like that)

EDIT: So I found the Heath Ledger thread, lol...after some more searching. But I decided to leave this posted here, it boggles my mind and would like to hear anyones opinion on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb2kQC0P5OQ

--dk7

I can't turn my eyes away, no matter how hard I try, Heath performed terrificly

Here's the reason why all the actors always do their bests when playing Joker - its a role where you dont have to think, dont have to restrain yourself and just behave like there are no society rules. Its fun and I bet its very engaging and immersive. Its a complete freedom in behavior, almost animal-like

Here's the reason why all the actors always do their bests when playing Joker - its a role where you dont have to think, dont have to restrain yourself and just behave like there are no society rules. Its fun and I bet its very engaging and immersive. Its a complete freedom in behavior, almost animal-like

That's why Cesar Romero bests them all:oldrazz:

:up:

The character is a pleasure to play.

Oh, so Two-Face can literally have half of his face burned off, and not only is he fine with no drugs, but he survives easily.:whatever:

Come on. If you're going to break "reality", might as well be true to the source.

The Permawhite would have worked ONLY if they showed it, and doing so would actually detract from the movie. They showed Two-Face's scarring, it was an integral part of the plot, so they could have went as over the top as they wanted with the burns.

"Nolan's Realism Rule" is it can be ridiculous as long as it's explained. They couldn't explain the bleached skin, so didn't use it. It was still true to the source material, he looked like the Joker the entire movie.

The Permawhite would have worked ONLY if they showed it, and doing so would actually detract from the movie. They showed Two-Face's scarring, it was an integral part of the plot, so they could have went as over the top as they wanted with the burns.

"Nolan's Realism Rule" is it can be ridiculous as long as it's explained. They couldn't explain the bleached skin, so didn't use it. It was still true to the source material, he looked like the Joker the entire movie.
I was just playing devils advocate to what Daredevil posted. He said he wanted consistency in the movies, concerning Nolan's realistic take, hence, my Two-Face comparison post. If he wanted a consistency grounded in "reality", than why is he not complaining about Two-Face?

You're kinda quoting me out of context, within the conversation I had with Daredevil.:cwink:

Ledgers portrayal was great and I love it. However, in a perfect world and people may disagree with me but I just can't help thinking that Bale would have made a better joker than him being batman.
I've seen AP countless times, the film never gets old and it just continues to entertain and Bale is just magnificent as Bateman. The raw insanity of the performance is so forceful that of you took bateman out of the film, slapped him up with face paint and a purple suit, he would have been undeniably 100% perfect as the joker.

Just watched Season 5 of Dexter.

Sooo, Jordan Chase, played by Johnny Lee Miller... He was fine throughout the season. Then the last episode, 12, hit and me and the missus turned to each other with 'WTF?!' expressions on our faces. His voice and mannerisms had changed--normally the case when evil is revealed--and I swear it was like he was ripping off Heath's take on the Joker. Licking his lips. Twitching. REALLY getting his mouth around the words. Fair enough, all of those can be seen in many places, but together? It was a poor imitation.

Every time I watch TDK I appreciate Ledger's performance more and more. However when Christopher Nolan first announced the Joker was going to be 'darker' I kind of pictured something different. But regardless of that, Ledger brought his A-game. The worst thing is the outcome of Ledger's life.

He's still the best part of the film, but watching it again, he's not as good as I remember him.

I'm not sure if he deserved that Oscar especially since the nomination process was unfortunately tainted by his death.

Just watched Season 5 of Dexter.

Sooo, Jordan Chase, played by Johnny Lee Miller... He was fine throughout the season. Then the last episode, 12, hit and me and the missus turned to each other with 'WTF?!' expressions on our faces. His voice and mannerisms had changed--normally the case when evil is revealed--and I swear it was like he was ripping off Heath's take on the Joker. Licking his lips. Twitching. REALLY getting his mouth around the words. Fair enough, all of those can be seen in many places, but together? It was a poor imitation.

I must hunt this clip down. Is it anywhere on-line? Even though it was a lame imitation, it's awesome that they're trying to homage Ledger's Joker.

He's still the best part of the film, but watching it again, he's not as good as I remember him.

I'm not sure if he deserved that Oscar especially since the nomination process was unfortunately tainted by his death.

Couldn't care less what the Academy thought of it. I loved it 2 years ago and still love it today. It was a brilliant performance.

I must hunt this clip down. Is it anywhere on-line? Even though it was a lame imitation, it's awesome that they're trying to homage Ledger's Joker.
I don't think they were paying homage to Ledger's Joker, and I don't even think he acted or sounded like him either. It was just a calm serial killer, who was found out, and he freaked out at Dexter. It sounded as much like Ledger's Joker, as that Charlie Manson clip that someone posted in another thread, saying it sounded like Joker.

In other words: none at all.

I really liked the Jordan Chase character. It was kind of how I would roughly pictured the Riddler would have been protrayed though, not the Joker.

I really liked the Jordan Chase character. It was kind of how I would roughly pictured the Riddler would have been protrayed though, not the Joker.
Funny we're talking about that show, cause I think Dexter is how I imagine The Riddler being portrayed.:cwink:

Riddler is not a serial killer.
And so was Jordon Chase. We're not talking about a Riddler who is a serial killer, we're just talking about the way the actors portrayed the characters on Dexter. I can see a Riddler that is quiet, more behind the scenes, keeps to himself, and is very observant. Just like how Michael C Hall portrays Dexter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"