The Dark Knight Charles Roven Talks About Heath as 'The Joker'

Not trying to imitate (the inimitable) Jack Nicholson and making another version of the character was the most clever decision to be made. :):up:

Damn...All of this Joker hype is just swarming this movie!

-TNC

It sure is. So many hype with TDK show Joker in almost all of the hype. I still hope Batman have bigger part than him unlike Burton's B89. :)

I'm betting we won't get as much Joker as we think.

I think they are spoiling us with a load of Joker stuff, and than when we see the movie...there won't be as much as we thought.

--dk7

This is really old (the Joker wasn't even cast yet) but...

http://batman-on-film.com/batmovienews.html

it talks about Joker being a small role. It might have changed by now, but still:

I can confirm that The Joker role is a small and mysterious one in the sequel. It will be nothing like the Jack Nicholson-style showcase that the previous Joker provided.
Reps for Sam Rockwell were pursuing the role in the hope that this Joker would be on par with the 1989 Joker, but soon discovered otherwise.

Interesting. We already know it's going to be a completely different direction than the Nicholson style, as well as Joker being mysterious(although this is all quite vague). I'd guess Batman will have more screentime but regardless, if Heath's performance is as great as everyone says then he could definitely steal the spot-light even without as much screentime as Bats.

I'm really looking forward to the film, and think BB is the best Batman film so far, but why does everyone keep saying that BB is the 'darker' Batman vision?

For me, BB is comparable with films like the Indiana Jones films, the Bond films, etc. It's really not that dark. It's a good, straight-up, adventure/action film much like we saw lots of in the 80s.

Batman 89 and Batman Returns were much much much darker films than BB. Batman 89 had a guy who throws acid on his girlfriend's face. Batman Returns had a deformed freak biting someone's nose off, and a Catwoman with S&M themes.

The burton films are much darker than BB.

That said, I think BB is a much better film, and I can't wait to see this one.

it seems that around every corner there's an interview with someone praising heath's performance

Not that it's a bad thing:woot:

Interesting. We already know it's going to be a completely different direction than the Nicholson style, as well as Joker being mysterious(although this is all quite vague). I'd guess Batman will have more screentime but regardless, if Heath's performance is as great as everyone says then he could definitely steal the spot-light even without as much screentime as Bats.

I'm not going to lie.

After seeing the prologue, IMO Heath has already stole the show from Bale.

It is hard not to with a character like The Joker.

Personally his presence on screen was much more interesting than Bale's (via Batman Begins)

--dk7

I really like the angle Nolan is using in this film--the Joker is just there, like the shark in Jaws, causing all this anarchy and chaos in Gotham--but the story will focus more on the other characters: Bruce/Batman, Harvey, and Rachael and how they react and deal with these frightening situations they find themselves in.

Nicely put - I agree. I suspect Nolan understands where some of the earlier movies went wrong, and will put the focus, as the title says, on the Dark Knight. I hope that Dent's transformation to Two Face occurs late in the film, and allows TDK to be a one-villian movie while setting up the next film. Too many villains running around is silly.

And really, with over 7 months to go, who knows how the hype will develop. The early word is on the Joker, (and if Ledger's performance is so good to be generating all this buzz, then we all win), but with more exposure, maybe people will start talking about the rest of the cast more.

Those blasted trick questions get me all the time!

*cough*ledger'sbetter*cough*

Yeah if joker wasnt in it then there wouldnt be as nearly as much hype

good point, oh wait- see SM3. Venom was supposed to be a main villian and he just showed up for the last 5 minutes...

lets hope Joker isnt just the first half of the movie.

Ledger hasn't done as much stuff of note as Bale - mostly because only very recently he's completely turned his career around. Bale's been putting out respectable stuff (save a few) for more than a decade.

Bale is more dedicated to his roles than Ledger, look at "The Machinist".

Just because Legder has never dropped 60 pounds before for a role that doesn't need it doesn't mean he's less dedicated to the craft than Bale is.

Besides, I wouldn't put it past him to do something like that if necessary.

Ledger hasn't done as much stuff of note as Bale - mostly because only very recently he's completely turned his career around. Bale's been putting out respectable stuff (save a few) for more than a decade.

I was just looking back at Bale's filmography, and I've got to say: now I really want to watch Newsies.

Pulitzer and Hearst
They think we're nothin'
Are we
nothin'?

NO!

Bale is more dedicated to his roles than Ledger, look at "The Machinist".

I don't think that's necessarily true. Bale tends to choose more physically-demanding roles, such as in The Machinist and in AP, but that doesn't instantly translate to "more dedicated." Acting's about more than just physical transformation.

I think Ledger's just starting to take on roles whereby he can flex his acting muscles. Bale's been into them longer; but from what I understand about Heath preparing for the Joker - some article mentioned that he had locked himself in a room for a month and worked on various incarnations of the Joker until he had it right (I'll try to find the source for this) - he's put a lot of time and work into it.

Thus far, Bale has been more dedicated to his roles than Ledger. But I think Ledger, for this film, was possibly more dedicated - or, at least, showed that he could be more dedicated.

Just because Legder has never dropped 60 pounds before for a role that doesn't need it doesn't mean he's less dedicated to the craft than Bale is.

Besides, I wouldn't put it past him to do something like that if necessary.

Bale is just a better actor.

I think when it comes to acting and dedication they`re both pretty much a tie in my opinion...Bale changes himself physicaly and works hard, Heath locked himself in a hotel room for hours trying to come up with the perfect joker role, they both ALWAYS play completley different roles in every movie! Its not like one of those actors that everyone accuses of of only staring as the same action, comedy guy. Its almost like we got a real life batman and joker at odds here- just as smart, cunning, wont give up, simply goes out there and shocks the world with what they do for a living lol

Damn, I can't locate the article. Does someone else have it or know where to find it?

I was just looking back at Bale's filmography, and I've got to say: now I really want to watch Newsies.

What did you think "save a few" meant? There's maybe four or five films that are questionable, out of about 35 or so.

Ledger's only been making decent movies since about 2005 or so. Again, I bet Ledger's got chops, but he's only actually started being an "actor" instead of a movie star since about 3 or 4 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"