The Dark Knight Charles Roven Talks About Heath as 'The Joker'

cyclone

Civilian
Reaction score
Found this today, date says it's from yesterday. Nothing too revealing, but just thought I'd put it out there for all to see.

Thanks

- Cyclone

Producer Charles Roven has explained the decision behind casting Heath Ledger as The Joker in upcoming Batman movie The Dark Knight.

Attending an IMAX screening of the first six minutes of the movie, Roven described the villain, portrayed by Jack Nicholson in Tim Burton's Batman, as "one of the great classical fiction villains", and said that Ledger's performance would be key to assimilating the character into director Chris Nolan's darker vision of the Batman universe.

"The Joker is just such a great amazing villain," he explained. "And there have been some really wonderful actors who have played him, but not quite the way you're going to see Heath play him, and not the way in which that character could fit into the tone and feel of Chris' vision. Heath was really important to explore that."

The Dark Knight is scheduled for a July 25, 2008 release.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a81382/dark-knight-producer-explains-joker-choice.html

Damn...All of this Joker hype is just swarming this movie!

-TNC

I love the Joker, but all this hype he is getting is meaning no one is talking about the other performances in the movie. What about Rachel or Dent? They are major new additions, and Dent is a villain, and could be the main villain of the next film, and yet no one is commenting on his performance.

I've said this many times on these boards.

While I'm excixted that the Joker is the primary villian in the movie and I'm looking really forward to Heath Ledger interpertation of him, I hope they don't forget that this is a Batman movie and not trial off into Batman being a secondtier character in his own movie like the previous movie series.

While I'm excixted that the Joker is the primary villian in the movie and I looking really forward to Heath Ledger interpertation of him, I hope the don't forget that this is a Batman movie and not trial of into Batman eing a secondtier character in his own movie like the previous movie series.
thats the problem. insted of promoting this movie as a batman and then suprise the whole world they are promoting like this is again a movie about the villain.
the whole focus goes on bruce.

It's better that they're focusing on one point only. Keeps all the other elements in darkness.

thats the problem. insted of promoting this movie as a batman and then suprise the whole world they are promoting like this is again a movie about the villain.
the whole focus goes on bruce.

Of course the marketting/attention will be on the Joker, he's hugely popular and a massive marketting tool.

The focus of the movie will still be Bruce Wayne.

It's better that they're focusing on one point only. Keeps all the other elements in darkness.

Quite true but it would still be nice to hear a little praise for some of the other actors.

While I'm excixted that the Joker is the primary villian in the movie and I'm looking really forward to Heath Ledger interpertation of him, I hope they don't forget that this is a Batman movie and not trial off into Batman being a secondtier character in his own movie like the previous movie series.

The Joker is going to steal the show from Batman--it's what Joker does!
:oldrazz:

But seriously, I think it's Ledger's performance that's generating all the buzz, you'll the find the focus of the story is still primarily about Bruce Wayne/Batman. Harvey Dent and Rachael will have their share of the spotlight too.

I love the Joker, but all this hype he is getting is meaning no one is talking about the other performances in the movie. What about Rachel or Dent? They are major new additions, and Dent is a villain, and could be the main villain of the next film, and yet no one is commenting on his performance.

Hopefully this will mean Eckhart will get the chance to surprise everyone and really stand out, I'm sure he can pull off an iconic performance too.

Quite true but it would still be nice to hear a little praise for some of the other actors.

We have heard a little about Maggie and Aaron. We haven't heard at all about Oldman and Michael Caine, but mostly because he is too busy praising Heath.

We have heard a little about Maggie and Aaron. We haven't heard at all about Oldman and Michael Caine, but mostly because he is too busy praising Heath.

What was said about Aaron and Maggie?

The Joker is going to steal the show from Batman--it's what Joker does!
:oldrazz:

But seriously, I think it's Ledger's performance that's generating all the buzz, you'll the find the focus of the story is still primarily about Bruce Wayne/Batman. Harvey Dent and Rachael will have their share of the spotlight too.

I hope so Joker's Wild, we don't need another version of the Tim Burton Movie (which I still do LOVE) in which we learned more about the Joker than Bruce/Batman and Jack Nicholson's performance as the Joker is what made the movie for some people (although I was more impress by Michaeal Keaton becasue NOBODY at that time thought he would pull of being Batman).

I will admit that Nolan decision of not giving the Joker's origin in the movie is a hint that the Joker will be just another villian in this movie ala Scarecrow in 'Batman Begins'.

What was said about Aaron and Maggie?

About Aaron, that he's a very good choice:woot:
About Maggie, that she's brought something fresh to the table, that sshe took the role seriously and she pressed Nolan to do stuff with her character.

I hope so Joker's Wild, we don't need another version of the Tim Burton Movie (which I still do LOVE) in which we learned more about the Joker than Bruce/Batman and Jack Nicholson's performance as the Joker is what made the movie for some people (although I was more impress by Michaeal Keaton becasue NOBODY at that time thought he would pull of being Batman).

I will admit that Nolan decision of not giving the Joker's origin in the movie is a int that the Joker will be just another villian in this movie ala Scarecrow in 'Batman Begins'.

Well Darknightnomis, I don't think we have to worry about this movie resembling the '89 one at all. I think Nolan has done as much as possible to distance this production from that one. Ledger has made it clear he wanted to create his own interpretation of the Joker, and not copy Nicholson in any way, which is a very good thing imo.

I really like the angle Nolan is using in this film--the Joker is just there, like the shark in Jaws, causing all this anarchy and chaos in Gotham--but the story will focus more on the other characters: Bruce/Batman, Harvey, and Rachael and how they react and deal with these frightening situations they find themselves in.

I love how every quote describes him as being dark.
Effein A, I cant wait to see it.

It sounds pretty amazing. So amazing, that one might begin to think that it is all hype. (I mean, come on, yer posting on SHH!.) But as someone who had the pleasure of seeing the prologue, it's all true. Every last word of it. It's pretty amazing.

It sounds pretty amazing. So amazing, that one might begin to think that it is all hype. (I mean, come on, yer posting on SHH!.) But as someone who had the pleasure of seeing the prologue, it's all true. Every last word of it. It's pretty amazing.

Oh man, this weekend I get to see the prologue!! :woot: I was so sad I couldn't make the special showings last week. Plus, we'll have the trailer online too!! Great times for Bat-fans!!

This is really old (the Joker wasn't even cast yet) but...

http://batman-on-film.com/batmovienews.html

it talks about Joker being a small role. It might have changed by now, but still:

I can confirm that The Joker role is a small and mysterious one in the sequel. It will be nothing like the Jack Nicholson-style showcase that the previous Joker provided.
Reps for Sam Rockwell were pursuing the role in the hope that this Joker would be on par with the 1989 Joker, but soon discovered otherwise.

Fu<k Batman! Praise the Joker!!!! :p

This is really old (the Joker wasn't even cast yet) but...

http://batman-on-film.com/batmovienews.html

it talks about Joker being a small role. It might have changed by now, but still:

I can confirm that The Joker role is a small and mysterious one in the sequel. It will be nothing like the Jack Nicholson-style showcase that the previous Joker provided.
Reps for Sam Rockwell were pursuing the role in the hope that this Joker would be on par with the 1989 Joker, but soon discovered otherwise.
You honestly think that still stands?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"