Ultimate Avengers 2 Review Thread!!

PWN3R RANGER said:
Yeah both movies I've enjoyed, but they are so short. Both never got a proper ending really IMO...

I like Jarvis.:p
I liked the ending to UA 1. I felt having Betty coax the Hulk down was accurate to the character as that is the woman he loves, whereas fighting Hulk only makes him stronger. The fight was good enough that it felt like payoff.

The last Kleiser fight was paced a little more awkardly. I don't like it when we switch from a fight, something else, and the fight again, and it looked like we missed something. Seeing Kleiser drown in liquid Vibranium didn't have the kind of punch that Hulk vs. Thor had or something. The flick was fine for a continuation of the first but as a film itself it wasn't as much of a thrillride. The first half seemed better than the second for me, although I did like a lot of things. I liked the Thor/Iron Man/Giant Man heroics, for instance. The War Machine armor looked good, although it seemed like his bullets had no effect until he fired missles, so I wondered why he didn't just shoot missles.

I have to say, I just bought UA2, and it was much better than I thought it would be, it was much better than the first and I liked the first film. The animation was much better, War Machine rocked, the story was good and enjoyable, over all I'm glad I bought it and plan on watching it many times in the future.
I was also impressed with the first look of Iron Man, the animation looks awesome and the story looks intreging.

Yeah I notice the bullet thing too Dread?

And what was up with Black Panther's face when he got angry? I dont know to much about the character, but I am pretty sure that hasnt happened right?

Pretty decent disc for direct-to-vid effort. The extras are really nice, but what REALLY made the last one special was the Hulk going ballistic and tearing apart the city, and the team. This one lacked a battle like that, as fighting "red shirt" aliens seemed lacking. I didn't like the Black Panther outfit, but I thought the Panther God possesion thing was okay. War Machine rocked of course, but limited Hulk didn't. They've got Iron Man and Dr Strange (looks VERY interesting) on tap, and who knows...maybe more variety of characters for those movies.

And they still never said "Avengers Assemble!"....that still saddens me.

But aside from that, good movie. :up:

November Rain said:
of all the comic lines one can ruin, it had to be the ones which were pretty much word for word perfect for screen adaptation...

bah...

Cause nothing says fun like spouse abuse and cannibalism on screen! A rousing good time for the whole family

(that was sarcasm).

But yes, I enjoyed it. Good stuff all round. I hated the new Black Panther but overall it was very enjoyable.

Iron Man's preview looks like it'll kick ass unlike the other two though.

Does Pym die
in the Ultimates comics? That one kind of suprised me.

Tony Stark said:
Does Pym die

As I think has been pretty clear, this is unrelated to the Ultimates.

Most likely we'd see Immortus before we'd see the Liberators.

all i know.. ultimate black widow is a ****e.. in the comics its tony.. in the movies its steve.. i mean damn

Willowhugger said:
As I think has been pretty clear, this is unrelated to the Ultimates.

Most likely we'd see Immortus before we'd see the Liberators.

I don't think it's unrelated. I think it's a blending of Ultimates, with classic Avengers, hence the name "Ultimate Avengers".

I enjoyed both movies, I think this effort was better than the first, however the one problem I see is that doing a movie, instead of a half hour TV series, they really lacked opportunites to develop some of the Characters.

I fell like they missed alot on Thor's character. They had some interesting tidbits, but they didn't give you enough.

SsM said:
all i know.. ultimate black widow is a ****e.. in the comics its tony.. in the movies its steve.. i mean damn
What is it with some of you guys? Some of you have the most skewed ideas on sex and adult relationships.

Dread said:
On the second link, a poster named "Ken" even disagrees with this review
(and claims that THOR will do more in this movie than Hulk does)
. In the end, I think the folks who didn't like UA 1 won't like UA 2, but those of us who liked UA 1 might still be entertained. Or at least that we all have to judge for ourselves.

Plus...it can't be as horrid as BRAINIAC ATTACKS.
ITS BETTER dread i give it:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Tony Stark said:
Does Pym die
i was curious about that too about bruce dying of gas poisoning when that happend old greenskinshowing up does that mean that the bruce banner persona is dead and he's just the hulk now or does that mean on dying a change to the hulk will revive bruce making him a defacto IMMORTAL?

The first movie sucked very bad. Judging from the reviews nothing has changed. The most important thing for me that made the first movie horrible was less Thor( the most interesting of the Ultimates) and too much Cap (one of the most boring characters in MU period). It looks like they didn't fix that problem in the second movie. I will wait till it comes on Cartoon Network eventually. I will see the previews of Iron Man and Dr. Strange on youtube.

As always great review Dread, what are your thoughts on the Iron Man subplot?

C. Lee said:
What is it with some of you guys? Some of you have the most skewed ideas on sex and adult relationships.

It would imply and assume "adults" are talking. :cwink:

ssj wolverine said:
The first movie sucked very bad. Judging from the reviews nothing has changed. The most important thing for me that made the first movie horrible was less Thor( the most interesting of the Ultimates) and too much Cap (one of the most boring characters in MU period). It looks like they didn't fix that problem in the second movie. I will wait till it comes on Cartoon Network eventually. I will see the previews of Iron Man and Dr. Strange on youtube.
isn't ua2 supposed to be on cn sometime this weekend?

so what do people rate this out of ten? if it's as bad as peep are making out i wont bother gettin saturday

This new one was boring as hell. Hulk should have been more involved and someone other than the Chitauris (Sp?) should have been the threat. The best part of the whole DVD was the preview for Ultimate Alliance.

PWN3R RANGER said:
Yeah I notice the bullet thing too Dread?

And what was up with Black Panther's face when he got angry? I dont know to much about the character, but I am pretty sure that hasnt happened right?
Black Panther never appeared in Ultimate before. In the comics, no, he can't grow a "panther head" when he gets angry. That was something invented for the cartoon, which probably was done so he'd be more than "Capt. America with claws instead of a shield". Which is perfectly fine if only they explained it. The only mention was that T'Challa was part of the "bloodline", which I took to mean that he was royal family as a prince. But if we wanted to get technical, maybe that power is something passed on from generation to generation, like an inherited mutant trait?

But I'm reaching. They needed at least one line explaining it. That wouldn't have taken much time. A few seconds, maybe.

And while Wakanda was kept sort of accurate to 616, it STILL doesn't seem to work that they have access to all this technology, but their soldiers still dress in rags and they throw spears. They're Vibranium spears (which seemed obvious to me, explaining why they could cut into Iron Man's armor), but it still looks awkward. The attempt is to claim that Wakanda, as an isolated nation, wouldn't have allowed outside influences and so would have kept their traditions strong. But it still seems awkward.

Red X said:
As always great review Dread, what are your thoughts on the Iron Man subplot?

I liked that they got into Iron Man more and showed him LITERALLY dependant on his technology for his life. Granted, some of the writers/producers of UA 2 also worked on the 90's IRON MAN series (which was good in its second season), so its not surprising. Much like Giant-Man, he redeemed himself in the end, willing to go for selfless heroism rather than glory.

As for why Thor didn't "revive" Giant-Man, that seemed obvious to me (others have questioned this). Iron Man's life support systems are powered by electrocity, and he was out of power, hence why he flatlined. It seemed clear to me that Thor was fulling his tech with juice to bring him back online. Remember Iron Man is a psuedo-cyborg in some ways. Whereas Pym was all organic and already dead.

Black Panther seemed to be a double edged sword. I liked how the aliens were connected to the planet by wanting Vibranium, and that meant including Wakanda and the history. Playing him off Cap worked because both are heroes who represent an entire nation, only T'Challa is a monarch while Cap is just a "super-soldier". However, much as with the X-MEN films, any new character seems to make older supporting characters look like they're struggling to be in their own film (just look at Movie Cyclops, reduced to near thankless cameos in both sequals). Thor DID play a more vital role as last time, half of his time was setting him up in the intro; his only contribution to the core plot was aiding in the final battle. This time, all his scenes were plot-centered.

Upon review, I did notice quite a few more "repeated scenes" or animation goof-ups, not very long or as notorious as the later seasons of 90's SPIDER-MAN, but noticeable enough that one could argue that this one seemed more rushed.

I would like to see a third, and according to an interview at Toonzone.net, at least some of the writers/directors want to bring in Hawkeye, but time constraints always prevented it. In a third, the loss of Giant-Man leaves a place to fill.

newmexneon said:
This new one was boring as hell. Hulk should have been more involved and someone other than the Chitauris (Sp?) should have been the threat. The best part of the whole DVD was the preview for Ultimate Alliance.

What's that?

hammerhedd11 said:
What's that?
A video game much like X-MEN LEGENDS 1 & 2, only with Marvel heroes and stuff.

The interview with THE ULTIMATES crew was cool, although they glossed over how politically polarizing ULTIMATES 2 has become as well as Millar's perchant for pop-culture references that only date the book, and potty humor, intermingled with his action and brilliant scenes. They also use Japanese Manga as the excuse for decompression, missing the point that manga volumes are 150-400 pages a volume, where Western books are still at 22 pages a pop. Yes, I agree that some scenes need to be played slow, but until something is done about page count and pricing, 6 issue arcs may continue to be mind-numbing at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"