Ultimate Avengers 2 Review Thread!!

I wish they would turn this into a 1/2 hour series, ala Justice League. Then they could have much more room to pick up on different story lines.

While I enjoyed both the movies, doing it in movie format just doesn't allow for the characters to be fully developed.

Most importantly they have the foundation and the right characters to move forward. That dumb '90s animated series was flawed from the beginning because there was no Cap, no Iron Man, no Thor, etc.

Now they can bring in Hawkeye, Wanda, Vision and others and they still have the base team.

Tony Stark said:
I wish they would turn this into a 1/2 hour series, ala Justice League. Then they could have much more room to pick up on different story lines.

While I enjoyed both the movies, doing it in movie format just doesn't allow for the characters to be fully developed.

Most importantly they have the foundation and the right characters to move forward. That dumb '90s animated series was flawed from the beginning because there was no Cap, no Iron Man, no Thor, etc.

Now they can bring in Hawkeye, Wanda, Vision and others and they still have the base team.
The problem is that making it a 1/2 hour serial would require them to adhere to network rules and wishes.

Unless they went with a "direct to DVD series", which only Sony seems to have the cajones to do with the next Spider-Man animated series. That is a move I fully endorse because it takes the ideas from Japan and applies it to our own comics.

Still, a series of movies can still work to that end, as each film is about as long as 3 and a half episodes of a TV series (which is about 22 minutes, usually less excluding opening/ending credits).

I would caution against falling into the trap of too many X-Men movies and films, which is just overloading on characters rather than deal with the ones we have. Hawkeye is fine but once you start adding handfuls per installment, it becomes bloated. X-Men TV series and movies would be better off if they picked a core team and stuck with them; which is basically what the 90's X-MEN did. They had no end of guest stars, of course, but they picked their team as Xavier, Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Beast, Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit, and Jubilee and stuck with them, and it worked. They didn't add teammates every season like it was no tomorrow. They kept to a core team and developed them, which is a stronger approach character wise then just playing a game of "how many characters can you list here" that even JLU got guilty of.

I liked the first one and I thought this one was better. But really, would it be too much to ask for an extra 20 minutes? The animation was choppy in some places, and not like nitpicky, but distracting. The story was alright and I enjoyed it very much.

My problem with these movies is, they have no idnetity. Are we making mature cartoons, or for the kids? Some scens are violent, others are really kiddy. I think they should go one way and stick with it.

Darthphere said:
I liked the first one and I thought this one was better. But really, would it be too much to ask for an extra 20 minutes? The animation was choppy in some places, and not like nitpicky, but distracting. The story was alright and I enjoyed it very much.

My problem with these movies is, they have no idnetity. Are we making mature cartoons, or for the kids? Some scens are violent, others are really kiddy. I think they should go one way and stick with it.

I beieve that's what PG-13 is all about, making cartoons for teens.

Willowhugger said:
I beieve that's what PG-13 is all about, making cartoons for teens.

But can you honestly say the content is mature? There were only a couple of scenes in this one that were pg-13 worthy IMO, and its nothing I havent seen in JLU.

the audio is sucking for me. I have surround sound and all I hear is everything except the voices, the music overpowers the talking

Darthphere said:
But can you honestly say the content is mature? There were only a couple of scenes in this one that were pg-13 worthy IMO, and its nothing I havent seen in JLU.

PG-13 is an odd designation I admit. The fact remains that in Star Wars, you have people slaughtering people with laser guns and dismemberment plus implied child killing. It's PG.

Willowhugger said:
PG-13 is an odd designation I admit. The fact remains that in Star Wars, you have people slaughtering people with laser guns and dismemberment plus implied child killing. It's PG.

In fairness Revenge of the Sith, which had the child killing you mention, was rated PG-13.

I think I liked the first one better. I watched the second one yesterday afternoon and I think i'll have to go back and re-watch it cause i think ADD is getting the best of me. I don't remember all of it. I can barely remember any parts with the hulk in it.

I liked this better than the first one...it had a good story but for some reason the action was not as good as the first one.

SpiderHulkThing said:
I think I liked the first one better. I watched the second one yesterday afternoon and I think i'll have to go back and re-watch it cause i think ADD is getting the best of me. I don't remember all of it. I can barely remember any parts with the hulk in it.
The hulk is only in a few scenes towards the end.

Yeah, Hulk basically has a cameo. The trailers rather shamelessly exploit his fame by including almost all of his scenes in them. I'll bet Hulk fans would be really disappointed.

These films need to get longer and the plot written a little better to accomidate that extra time. Like I said before, they need to forget that 75 minutes or less is ideal time for a future cable airing and just take the time to flesh everything out.

The next movie, if there is another, needs to have some sort of team of supervillians. That way, the fight scenes can be different than "Avengers vs. grunts" or "piling on one villian" or something.

FYI, a "Teen Avengers" title has been announced for a future DTV after IRON MAN and DR. STRANGE. I'm not sure if this'll be based on YOUNG AVENGERS or not, though.

It was a little awkward that Steve chose to make his feelings for Widow known at Pym's funeral, but they likely ran out of time and maybe it was one of those, "as something is lost, something else is gained" sort of things. Maybe Hank's death reminded Steve of how short life can be, and to enjoy it while it lasts (or when you get a second chance, like he did; as he said, he never expected to survive defusing that rocket in WW2 and for most of the two films, he all but regretted surviving). PG-13 as a rating has become a bit dubious as it is, as certain things make the cut while others do not. For instance, you can have fair profanity and some very graphic violence, but a bare breast and suddenly it's R. While this film was quite violent, some of it felt repetative because, again, you can only watch the same aliens get ripped to shreds so many times before it gets stale. I would have designed some "more super-Chitari" warriors just so the action could get interspliced with something new. Even in TURTLES IN TIME, eventually you fight another form of Foot Soldier than "Purple". :p

There is a sense of "I wish they'd have just picked an audience", but you could say that a lot about some movies that are PG-13 (and may have been R is uneditted). Just look at DAREDEVIL. They should have went all out and went with an R version, and it would have been a stronger film (I liked it though, but it was flawed).

Where did you read about Teen Avengers Dread?

hammerhedd11 said:
I liked this better than the first one...it had a good story but for some reason the action was not as good as the first one.

You can't top the Hulk brawl from the first film very often. (Although we now know that the brawl started because Hulk didn't want to visit Tony Stark's House of Ribs)

I enjoyed Ultimate Avengers 2 mostly because the characters were actually fleshed out some this time around. Iron Man stole the show. I loved seeing the War Machine armor.

I agree with the lack of Hulk criticism. How hard would it have been to put in a few more scenes of him smashing aliens???

PWN3R RANGER said:
Where did you read about Teen Avengers Dread?

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0608/10/index.htm

Not much has been said, just that "a Teen Avengers DTV is in development". It usually takes about a year to make a DTV, so it probably won't shot up until 2008, since IRON MAN and DR. STRANGE are on their slate for 2007.

A Marvel announcements PDF claims it as only "in development" for now, as both DR. STRANGE and IRON MAN are in "production".

http://www.marvel.com/company/pdf/marvel_studio_present.pdf

Dread said:
It was a little awkward that Steve chose to make his feelings for Widow known at Pym's funeral, but they likely ran out of time and maybe it was one of those, "as something is lost, something else is gained" sort of things.

I took it as another sign that no one liked Hank.

Maybe it will be a mixture of Runaways and Young Avengers?

you know how they like to mix stuff, Ultimate Avengers.:)

You think we will see a part 3 in 06 just in time for the holidays?

I gave in and watched the Ultimates 2. The previews for IronMan and Dr. Strange were more interesting than this garbage. Alot better than the first but still no good. Maybe it is the case that each time Marvel puts out an animated film they get better and better and hopefully if they do an animated Thor movie they will get it perfect.

I liked it. There were some problems w/the way BP was handled, but overall I enjoyed the movie.

GoldGoblin said:
You think we will see a part 3 in 06 just in time for the holidays?
Doubt it. We would already know about it by now.

damn, I knew the film would suck. Reminds me of that GI Joe movie

Dread said:
Yeah, Hulk basically has a cameo. The trailers rather shamelessly exploit his fame by including almost all of his scenes in them. I'll bet Hulk fans would be really disappointed.

These films need to get longer and the plot written a little better to accomidate that extra time. Like I said before, they need to forget that 75 minutes or less is ideal time for a future cable airing and just take the time to flesh everything out.

The next movie, if there is another, needs to have some sort of team of supervillians. That way, the fight scenes can be different than "Avengers vs. grunts" or "piling on one villian" or something.

FYI, a "Teen Avengers" title has been announced for a future DTV after IRON MAN and DR. STRANGE. I'm not sure if this'll be based on YOUNG AVENGERS or not, though.

It was a little awkward that Steve chose to make his feelings for Widow known at Pym's funeral, but they likely ran out of time and maybe it was one of those, "as something is lost, something else is gained" sort of things. Maybe Hank's death reminded Steve of how short life can be, and to enjoy it while it lasts (or when you get a second chance, like he did; as he said, he never expected to survive defusing that rocket in WW2 and for most of the two films, he all but regretted surviving). PG-13 as a rating has become a bit dubious as it is, as certain things make the cut while others do not. For instance, you can have fair profanity and some very graphic violence, but a bare breast and suddenly it's R. While this film was quite violent, some of it felt repetative because, again, you can only watch the same aliens get ripped to shreds so many times before it gets stale. I would have designed some "more super-Chitari" warriors just so the action could get interspliced with something new. Even in TURTLES IN TIME, eventually you fight another form of Foot Soldier than "Purple". :p

There is a sense of "I wish they'd have just picked an audience", but you could say that a lot about some movies that are PG-13 (and may have been R is uneditted). Just look at DAREDEVIL. They should have went all out and went with an R version, and it would have been a stronger film (I liked it though, but it was flawed).

Yeah....but Hulk OWNED :up: :) :up: the last movie, so us Hulk fans can't get too greedy.

Dread said:
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0608/10/index.htm

Not much has been said, just that "a Teen Avengers DTV is in development". It usually takes about a year to make a DTV, so it probably won't shot up until 2008, since IRON MAN and DR. STRANGE are on their slate for 2007.

A Marvel announcements PDF claims it as only "in development" for now, as both DR. STRANGE and IRON MAN are in "production".

http://www.marvel.com/company/pdf/marvel_studio_present.pdf

Yep...they mentioned it in the conference call...I'm assuming a Teen Titan knock off...nothing wrong with a little imatation of a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"