Unbreakable 2

I remember when I made it, Disney was literally like, 'Comic books?! There's no market for comic books!' That's all they make now!

U5QrnHb.jpg

I love Unbreakable. If you think about it, it was the first big take on grounded, real world supers. The vaunted Chris Nolan wouldn't give us Batman Begins for another FIVE years.

Of Shyamalan's films, the only one I like more than Unbreakable is Lady in the Water. I'd love to see him take another shot at it.

Yes I am well aware that no one else likes Lady in the Water. No, I don't need to hear about how much you hate it.

How would you do it?

You dont want it to become another world full of mutants such as looper or chronicle, I think the sequel should remain as grounded as it was..or does it kind of defeat the purpose of the original film..a comic book movie will of course have multiple sequels but unbreakable was "REAL LIFE" and in real life normal people dont have episodic adventures like a comic book. This was more of a once off phenomena that happened between two people that resembles a comic book..

Maybe a superhero on the run from the government or a team up like the Avengers without the Shield aspect.

This was more of a once off phenomena that happened between two people that resembles a comic book..

Glass straight up tells David that myths and legends of people like Hercules were exaggerations of the truth, and comics were the modern equivalent of those myths. But superhuman abilities, the usual cb tropes (archnemesis, the hero having a weakness) were all real.

So episodic stories and continuing "adventures" would be right in line with the world Night set up. They'd just be very low key and not very flashy, like his tracking down & stopping the creepy killer guy, or bringing Glass to justice by phoning the police.

Last edited:
Glass straight up tells David that myths and legends of people like Hercules were exaggerations of the truth, and comics were the modern equivalent of those myths. But superhuman abilities, the usual cb tropes (archnemesis, the hero having a weakness) were all real.

But was he speaking from genuine knowledge of more super powered people or was it a rant from a crazed sick man that saw himself as a comic book villian in what was once off coincidental scenario much like the coincidences that happen in comic books. I must say it has been a long time since i last watched the movie, just sort of running with ideas as they come to me.

I see where you're coming from.

Glass was crazy as hell no doubt, but for me anyway David's power displays were confirmation of the truth just as they were for Glass. Even if you discount David's endurance & resistance to injury (never got sick, sole survivor of a train derailment) and super strength (no known limit, but he was 'just strong enough' to lift everything he tried throughout the film* plus ripping off a car door with his bare hands as a teen) he was still having psychic visions that led him to the location of Murder McJanitor.

I've actually not watched this in some time myself. Now I want to.

*there's a great deleted scene where he goes into the college locker room and lifts the weights in there, a LOT more than what he lifted at home. He gets up and casually walks out while the football team stands there watching him with their jaws hanging open.

Shyamalan Wants To Do "Unbreakable 2"

By Garth Franklin Friday January 30th 2015 08:00AM
One of M. Night Shyamalan's most well-regarded films was 2000's "Unbreakable," the filmmaker's follow-up effort following his success with "The Sixth Sense." The film starts off as a thriller about a man with extraordinary abilities, but by the end turns into one of the more unconventional superhero origin films ever made.
Since its release there has been murmurings that the director was considering a follow-up, especially now as the superhero genre has taken off in such an extreme way. Such a project never came to fruition, but in a new interview during promotional rounds for "Wayward Pines," Shyamalan tells Collider he still has plans for doing a follow-up:
"I love those characters and I love that world. Of course, the whole world makes comic book movies now. At the time, it was completely novel. I remember when I made it, Disney was literally like, 'Comic books?! There's no market for comic books!' That's all they make now! It was a hilarious conversation."
Shyamalan says that despite everything that has come since, the tone of the original film and its real, grounded world would be kept for any potential follow-up:
"It feels like a straight-up drama. It's real. You're confronting the possibility that comic book characters were based on people that were real. That's the premise, so the tone has to be super grounded. It would be cool."
The original film generated $248 million in worldwide box-office from a $75 million budget. Shyamalan's more recent films though haven't performed nearly as well.

I love how they have to end it on that note. A continued agenda to keep him hated in the media. :whatever:

"Don't forget that Spielberg, despite his monumental success, also made 1941, Always, Hook, and Crystal Skull, all of which were total stinkers LOL."

Glass was crazy as hell no doubt, but for me anyway David's power displays were confirmation of the truth just as they were for Glass. Even if you discount David's endurance & resistance to injury (never got sick, sole survivor of a train derailment) and super strength (no known limit, but he was 'just strong enough' to lift everything he tried throughout the film* plus ripping off a car door with his bare hands as a teen) he was still having psychic visions that led him to the location of Murder McJanitor.

*there's a great deleted scene where he goes into the college locker room and lifts the weights in there, a LOT more than what he lifted at home. He gets up and casually walks out while the football team stands there watching him with their jaws hanging open.

Oh yeh for sure, I dont think i explained my self properly. I do believe Willis had powers in this film but I think possibly that the rant Mr Glass went on was more of a dellusional grand idea of where he saw his self in relation to Willis. I think this movie was being a real world super hero film but i think if you were to make a sequel it would almost be contradicting to the idea because in real life people often only have a few amazing moments in their life unlike comics..but like i said i have not watched this in a long time. :)

I agree with Alien Anal (can't believe I just typed that name haha) a sequel would almost have to go against the original by definition. It would have to go bigger but it can't. Not and stay what it should be.

Funny thing I find about Unbreakable is as grounded as it is,
shyamalabafana threw in so many tiny little hints of a standard comic book movie. My favorite being after David gets saved from drowning in the pool at the end, he's pulling himself out and as he does the heroic music swells, you never see his face, like he's some supernatural element. Is he a man in there or something more?. Then ss he stands up you see his slicker ever so slightly waving as though it was his cape. That tiny little scene gives me goosebumps and the feels Everytime I watch it. So masterfully directed.

Funny thing I find about Unbreakable is as grounded as it is,
shyamalabafana threw in so many tiny little hints of a standard comic book movie. My favorite being after David gets saved from drowning in the pool at the end, he's pulling himself out and as he does the heroic music swells, you never see his face, like he's some supernatural element. Is he a man in there or something more?. Then ss he stands up you see his slicker ever so slightly waving as though it was his cape. That tiny little scene gives me goosebumps and the feels Everytime I watch it. So masterfully directed.

Agreed, love that moment, whatever happened to THAT M.Night?

Budgets and high expectations from studios and fans

I love how they have to end it on that note. A continued agenda to keep him hated in the media. :whatever:

"Don't forget that Spielberg, despite his monumental success, also made 1941, Always, Hook, and Crystal Skull, all of which were total stinkers LOL."

Rocket and I are oldies here, so I'm a bit surprised with your take on this.

Shyamalan had one breakout hit (The Sixth Sense), a couple of decent successes (Signs, Unbreakable), and the rest highly disappointing misfires. Now, he's essentially a director-for-hire (and flops like 'After Earth' haven't helped).

Spielberg is credited with the beginnings of at least, what, three globally and historically iconic franchises (even if he didn't intend them to be so, as in Jaws' case)? He also has a plethora of award-winners and critically-acclaimed sentimental Hollywood successes. Credited with inspiring the New Hollywood to a degree.

In other words:

#1. Shyamalan is no Spielberg.

#2. Hollywood Rule #9 -- "You're only as good as your last picture."

M. Night's still got some makin'-up to do, artistic, business and profile-wise, before he could ever approach this type of project again...

My instinct is that it's never gonna happen, but we've seen the original Star Wars, Rambo and Terminator return after decades dormant, so who knows? But there's also not the kind of cultural or financial demand from anyone for an 'Unbreakable' sequel that matches anything of the above.

(Although it would conceivably be easier to get Mr. Willis these days...)

:word:

I would be happy if Shyamalan didn't make another Unbreakable. While I really didn't like the first one, I think it would be cheapened by sequels. One of the only things I liked about Unbreakable was that it was self contained. If you expand upon it too much you risk taking way the "realism" that made the movie work on at least one level.

Okay, I'm kinda torn on this issue. On the one hand, two of my all time favorite movies are The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. And if Shyamalamadingdong thinks he can regain the Midas touch he had with those two films by revisiting Unbreakable and making a sequel, then I truly believe that is a good thing.

On the other hand, he hasn't had that level of success again in 15 years. In fact he was handed a premice for a movie on a silver platter that was just begging to be made into something spectacular. Aw hell, forget silver platter. It was handed to him on a solid platinum platter, encrusted with jewels and precious stones, carried by scantily clad Victoria's Secret models who then fanned him with giant feathered fans and hand fed him seedless grapes. And he still managed to f**k it up. I'm of course referring to his monumental failure of adapting Avatar: The Last Airbender into a live action feature film. I mean, you'd actually have to be trying to make a bad movie in order to mess that up. Yet somehow he managed to accomplish it. So my confidence in his ability to get his mojo back isn't exactly very high.

I would like to point out that, even if his movie does get made, it shouldn't tarnish the brilliance of the original. Just as the less than stellar sequels and remakes of other beloved films don't tarnish what makes those films great, neither will this. Personally, I do hope Shyamalamadingdong gets his mojo back. For one thing, I would love to see more films of the quality of Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Besides, I'm getting tired of making fun of his name (but I'm not gonna stop until he starts making good movies again).

Okay, I'm kinda torn on this issue. On the one hand, two of my all time favorite movies are The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. And if Shyamalamadingdong thinks he can regain the Midas touch he had with those two films by revisiting Unbreakable and making a sequel, then I truly believe that is a good thing.

On the other hand, he hasn't had that level of success again in 15 years. In fact he was handed a premice for a movie on a silver platter that was just begging to be made into something spectacular. Aw hell, forget silver platter. It was handed to him on a solid platinum platter, encrusted with jewels and precious stones, carried by scantily clad Victoria's Secret models who then fanned him with giant feathered fans and hand fed him seedless grapes. And he still managed to f**k it up. I'm of course referring to his monumental failure of adapting Avatar: The Last Airbender into a live action feature film. I mean, you'd actually have to be trying to make a bad movie in order to mess that up. Yet somehow he managed to accomplish it. So my confidence in his ability to get his mojo back isn't exactly very high.

I would like to point out that, even if his movie does get made, it shouldn't tarnish the brilliance of the original. Just as the less than stellar sequels and remakes of other beloved films don't tarnish what makes those films great, neither will this. Personally, I do hope Shyamalamadingdong gets his mojo back. For one thing, I would love to see more films of the quality of Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Besides, I'm getting tired of making fun of his name (but I'm not gonna stop until he starts making good movies again).

I respectfully disagree.
Every subsequent Pirates sequel and Matrix sequel diluted the story, and over exposed the characters. For me it made me less interested in the originals and in the end killed the story for me, because I was unable to separate the character from the fluff that was later piled upon them.
I understand that this is my issue, and I'm not saying this is going to happen to anyone else. I just wanted to explain my position.

I disagree, the sequels to Pirates made the first one become legendary, when it had been released, it had a fair share of people who disliked it, then after the following films, it's considered one of the quintessential "fun" films. And to be fair, Dead Man's Chest wasn't bad, it had some amazing set pieces and an astounding soundtrack, the plot had some problems, but i didn't find them big enough to doom the entire movie.

Come at me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"