Underrated prequels/sequels&re-boots

TX85

Avenger
Reaction score
Is there any movie that you personally feel is still decent-great,Despite being critically hated or not among top films with fans of it's series??Movies you agree it's not as great as the original or another of it's parts But that you still are a fan of!,Mine would have to be.....

-Halloween II(original sequel)/Halloween 6/Halloween H20

-A Nightmare on Elm Street 2/3/4/Remake

-Friday the 13th Part 3/4/6/7/X(yes I know I may be the only one in the world)/Remake

-Freddy vs Jason

-ChildsPlay 3&Bride of Chucky

-A Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake

-Tremors 2/3/4

-Die Hard 2&4

-Ghostbusters 2

-Terminator 3&4:Salvation

-Star Wars Prequel Trilogy

-Jurassic Park 2&3

-Batman:Forever

-Alien:Resurrection

-Predator 2/Predators

-Lethal Weapon 4

-Indiana Jones:The Last Crusade&4:Crystal Skulls

-Mission Impossible 2

-Men in Black II

-Bad Boys 2

-Chronicles of Riddick

-Blade II

-Fantastic Four:Rise of the Silver Surfer

-The Punisher(Thomas Jane)

-X Men:Last Stand

-Legend of Zorro

-Rocky Balboa

-Rambo

-Peter Jackson's King Kong

-Shrek 4

-Scream 2/3/4

Last edited:
As in ones that have bad reputations that I like (as most sequels have bad reputations)?

er...

-Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
-Shrek 2
-Kenneth Branagh's Sleuth (remake)
-Scream 2
-Scream 4
-Spider-Man 3
-Ghostbusters II
-Austin Powers and the Spy Who Shagged Me

That's about all I can recall.

I thought Indiana Jones:TTOD and Shrek 2 are considered by critics and it's fans as the best sequel??

-Die Hard 2&4

-Star Wars Prequel Trilogy

-Predator 2/Predators

-Lethal Weapon 4

-Indiana Jones:The Last Crusade&4:Crystal Skulls

-Chronicles of Riddick

-Blade II

-Rocky Balboa

-Rambo

-Peter Jackson's King Kong

These plus;

The Matrix Sequels
Universal Soldier: Regeneration
Alien 3
Iron Man 2
Superman Returns
Undisputed II and III
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Death Race
The Mechanic
Crank: High Voltage
Transporter 2
Temple of Doom
Lethal Weapon 3
Robin Hood (2010)
2010: The Year We Made Contact
29 Weeks Later
Under Siege 2

Ah ***** I can't believe I forgot to mention Matrix2&3,I agree about the Matrix sequels/US:Regeneration/Iron Man 2/Transporter 2 and 2010!!

I thought Indiana Jones:TTOD and Shrek 2 are considered by critics and it's fans as the best sequel??

Temple Of Doom definitely isn't. I think TOD and KOTCS are generally neck and neck as the least favorite among the Indiana Jones series, and sometimes TOD seems slightly worse-received, overall. So it definitely counts as underrated. Last Crusade is the sequel that's the fan favorite.

My list of underrated and underappreciated sequels/prequels/remakes, in no order:

Ghostbusters II
Predator 2
Alien 3
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
Gremlins 2: The New Batch
Batman Returns
RoboCop 2
Terminator: Salvation
Rambo III
Die Hard 2
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi
Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood
Saw II
Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers
Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth
Phantasm II
Phantasm III: Lord Of The Dead
Phantasm IV: Oblivion
Tremors II: Aftershocks
Return Of The Living Dead Part II
Child's Play 3

I know some of these aren't that hated but I see them getting enough bashing or criticism from their respective fanbases to be on an underrated list. I would've added the 2009 Friday The 13th to my list, but I think it's more moderately received than anything (not overly hated nor loved by the fans, sort of in the middle with it's reception), so for me it kind of doesn't qualify based on that. I'm sure there's more underrated ones to be added to this.

Last edited:
Incredible Hulk
Punisher War Zone
Mission Impossible 3 (perhaps)
Alien Resurrection
AVP: Requiem
Hellboy 2 (maybe)
Attack of the Clones
Jurassic Park 2
Predator 2
Child's Play 3 (maybe)
Terminator 3

The Incredible Hulk

I love that movie so much. It's a f***ing damn shame negotiations between Edward Norton and Marvel fell through.

Temple of Doom

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Batman Returns

Revenge of the Sith

Scream 2 and 4

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
All Three Die Hard sequels, especially Die Hard 2
Octopussy (the most underrated Bond film, most of the others I agree with the majority)
Batman Forever
Terminator 3
Back to the Future Part 3
Ghostbusters II
Jaws 2
Iron Man 2
Spider-Man 3
Incredible Hulk
National Treasure 2

Gremlins 2
Back to the Future 2
Incredible Hulk
Superman Returns

and I am undecided as of yet whether Transformers 3 is better than the first (which I like) but it's definitely much better than the 2nd.

The Incredible Hulk.

Alien 3
I understand it's not "as good" as the first two, but I think it's still a very good film in its own right.
Predator 2
Same deal here.
Gremlins 2
Gremlins 2 is so off the rails bat**** crazy, I don't understand how anyone couldn't love this movie. And it's unlikely we'll ever get to see another big budget film exhibit this level of pure insanity ever again.
Ghostbusters II
You know what? Hate all you want, but I'm going to say it: I like Ghostbusters II better than the original. Sure it's highly derivative of the first one, but I feel like it's a more fun movie with way more iconic scenes than the first one.
Batman Returns
My favorite Batman film after The Dark Knight. Unlike most comic fans, I want the people adapting them to film or other mediums give it their own spin, and Burton did a great job making this one feel like a "Tim Burton" movie.
Star Wars Episode I
Though I'm not crazy about any the prequel trilogy, I find it strange that people always choose to hate on Episode I more than the others, because it's the one that feels the most like one of the OG Star Wars movies to me.
Die Hard with a Vengeance
By far my favorite Die Hard movie.
Mission Impossible III
I really did not like the first two Mission Impossible movies very much at all, but this one, for whatever reason, was such an unexpected delight for me.

Somebody mentioned TMNT2&3,I agree and have to add that too cause thinking back at it.....I sure feel those turtle movies need some loving and seen as pretty darn good comic-book movies!!!

King Kong- generally well liked, but I was devastated by it. I have never openly wept in public like I did when I first saw it, before or since. I'm talking full on heaving sobs. I completely broke.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom- Always the whipping boy before Crystal Skull (which I also don't think is anywhere near the outright disaster that some consider it. The Prequels are disasters. Crystal Skull is just some sort of letdown) not only is it a great prequel/sequel (honestly it doesn't really matter either way. That date at the beginning could be changed to a later date and it wouldn't affect a thing) it's probably my favorite Indy flick. It's certainly the one I rewatch the most. I even love Kate Capshaw. She full-bore, plays the ultimate classic damsel in distress and she doesn't look back or hesitate. I admire that.

Universal Soldier: Regeneration- generally, people that have seen this one think it's really frickin' good, but relatively few have given it a chance. I don't blame them. I never liked the original and I never bothered with the sequels, and let's face it, this was more or less just a direct to DVD release. I didn't finally check this out until I'd read enough raving reviews, all of them going "No, seriously, this is legitimately a badass movie, watch it and keep an eye on John Hyams." They were right. I wish I'd seen it on the big screen at Fantastic Fest 09 when I had the chance.

Let Me In- gets so much crap from people who didn't see it or didn't want to like it (and yeah, those that just plain old didn't like it, but, you know). I love the first version too, but this was no cash grab sellout, this was a real movie with its own take and its own things to say. There's maybe a couple of seconds too much of squirrelly CG, but are we really going to crucify this movie for a few seconds when the original had its own demon in that laughable cat attack scene? I was expecting to like this version, but I was actually quite shocked at just how much it moved me. In its own way, I think it actually hit me just a little bit harder than the original. I know Eli's Familiar didn't even come close to what Richard Jenkins brought to it. That was downright revelatory. It was so depressing to see Saw continue to turn a tidy profit while this one went ignored, despite its overall praise.

Snagged from The Cutting Room Floor:

Mary Shelly's Frankenstein is way under-appreciated. Yeah, it occasionally over loads with the bombast, but its everything-turned-up-to-11 style is totally in keeping with Shelly's gothic fever dream of a novel. De Niro brings real pathos to the creature, and his design is inspired. Patrick Doyle's score is fantabulous too. In equal measures forlorn and dread inducing.

Branagh's Sleuth is also under-appreciated. It takes the skeleton of the original and makes a new beast of it. It's like a really good cover song. I love Branagh's avante-garde shooting and editing. The performances are ridiculously good and Harold Pinter's screenplay crackles with juicy dialogue.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch is a fun flick. It's got nothing on Carpenter's brilliant first movie, it begins better than it ends, but I watch this one every Halloween. I just adore Dean Cundey's cinematography from the late 70's thru the 80's and this one has that unmistakably creepy look he perfected. John Carpenter and Alan Howarth's score is so damn good too, one of their best. I love those analogue pads, that swelling ambience. Creepy minimalism at its best. I'd love to pick it up on vinyl one of these days.

Last edited:
King Kong- generally well liked, but I was devastated by it. I have never openly wept in public like I did when I first saw it, before or since. I'm talking full on heaving sobs. I completely broke.

aye, I have spent my last bit of money on a cinema ticket and popcorn before, I know what that's like when halfway through the movie you start crying as you realise you have no bus fare home and are walking about in your socks.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom- Always the whipping boy before Crystal Skull (which I also don't think is anywhere near the outright disaster that some consider it. The Prequels are disasters. Crystal Skull is just some sort of letdown) not only is it a great prequel/sequel (honestly it doesn't really matter either way. That date at the beginning could be changed to a later date and it wouldn't affect a thing) it's probably my favorite Indy flick. It's certainly the one I rewatch the most. I even love Kate Capshaw. She full-bore, plays the ultimate classic damsel in distress and she doesn't look back or hesitate. I admire that.

Actually, they could not have done the scene where Indy can't fly the plane if it was not a prequel, as he plans to escape on that plane in Raiders.
So, we are left to assume he took some flying lesson after that little escapade. :up:

Last edited:
Oh ok yeah me too,I was just confused with the sarcasm icon thing!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"