Underrated sequels to film franchises!?

The Temple Of Doom - Its a dark film and I wish people would appreciate it more. Its also proof you didn't need Nazis involved for a good Indy flick.

Predator 2 - Danny Glover kicks ass!

Rocky V - Victory has a price and Rocky couldn't be on top forever.

The Godfather III - Yeah, no Robert Duvall, the incest angle, Sofia's acting and the lame ending, but its still a good movie despite these flaws.

Blade: Trinity - I loved that Dracula was a modern day warrior instead of the cliche pretty boy.

SAW V - People hate it for being different, but I think that's what makes it unique. Its like a better version of SAW II and Strahm is more likeable in this one than he was in the lackluster IV.

I wil lalways defend the honor of these sequels.

Last edited:
-Halloween III and Halloween II (2009).
-Texas Chainsaw Massacre II. I enjoyed it more than the first film.

The Matrix Reloaded. I understand the anger and disappointment associated with the third one, but I never understood why Reloaded was considered so bad. Also Quantum of Solace, and Alien 3 (The Assembly Cut, at least.)

While I dig Reloaded and am tempted to agree with you, the problem with Reloaded is that it does not stand on its own. They purposely set up Reloaded to no be resolved until Revolutions and that conclusion sucked.

While I dig Reloaded and am tempted to agree with you, the problem with Reloaded is that it does not stand on its own. They purposely set up Reloaded to no be resolved until Revolutions and that conclusion sucked.
That's probably my biggest issue with that movie. It has no ending. That and the philosophical concepts starting to become too big and bog down the storytelling.

Halloween III
Halloween 6 (specifically the Producer's Cut)
Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
Friday the 13th Part 7
Ghostbusters II

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey is a good mention. I'll never forget the hell sequences.

I like Bogus Journey more than the 1st, by far.

Halloween III was also a good mention by TheDreamMaster.

The Living Daylights is a pretty solid Bond movie. I can maybe see why it didn't do huge business at the time, but I happen to really like it.

I thought TLD did well. LTK was the one that bombed, wasn't it?

Yeah Licence to Kill had a competitive release date and didn't do so well.

Halloween III is a really good movie, just not a very good sequel. Everyone (myself included) went to/rented it because we wanted to see the continuation of the story of Michael Myers, Dr. Sam Loomis, and Laurie Strode. What we got was a very entertaining story about killer Halloween masks that had nothing to do with the first two movies.

Friday The 13th Part 5: A New Beginning. Many people hate it because Jason wasn't really the killer in this one. And at the time of its release (1984 I think) it had the highest bodycount of any Friday The 13th movie (20 kills, plus a similar number of false scares). I think that's the real problem with the film. Suspense was traded for higher body counts and bloodier death scenes. The movie had potential it didn't quite live up to, but wasn't as bad as people say.

Poltergeist II: I found the old minister really creepy. And there were some scenes that were nearly as scary as the original.

A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge. Homoerotic undertones aside, I found this one nearly as scary as the original. Dream Warriors is fun in an "Action/Adventure" kinda way. After that the movies just get silly.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare: Freddy was scary again for the first time in years.

Dungeons & Dragons II: Wrath Of The Dragon God. This movie actually surpassed the original. It wasn't perfect, but I think it did a much better job with a smaller budget and unknown actors than the original did with a bigger budget and established movie/TV stars.

Agreed on D&D2.

I thought Polter1 wasn't scary at all and 2 was scarier by default.

Halloween III is a really good movie, just not a very good sequel. Everyone (myself included) went to/rented it because we wanted to see the continuation of the story of Michael Myers, Dr. Sam Loomis, and Laurie Strode. What we got was a very entertaining story about killer Halloween masks that had nothing to do with the first two movies.

So you're saying it's underrated because people trash it because it's not a Michael Myers movie? There's definitely truth to that, but that's not why I didn't like it. I totally knew what I was getting into and I watched because I was curious. Unfortunately, when I watched the movie, I was either bored or baffled in the wrong way. I didn't find it entertaining, but I'm glad for those who do.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare: Freddy was scary again for the first time in years.

Is the consensus on New Nightmare negative? I honestly don't know what fans generally think of it, but I really liked it. I didn't think it was great, but it's very clever without being too precious, and, yeah, Freddy's actually scary in it. Actually, I've only seen that and the original Nightmare; I watched both a few years ago. And because of that, one of the really interesting things about New Nightmare was seeing it as a forerunner to Scream. Here's Wes Craven's first meta horror movie, and his first attempt to use satire and subversion to make a genuinely scary slasher movie again.

I really wish the climax wasn't so ridiculous, though.

Grease 2
H2 (Rob Zombie's Halloween 2) ((it definitely needed some dialogue edits though))
Once Upon A Time in Mexico
Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End and On Stranger Tides
A View to A Kill
Land of the Dead (Romero's last real go at his zombies)
Cinderella 3: A Twist in Time (Yes, I enjoy my Disney)

Also, Wes Craven's New Nightmare had the best Freddy make up job. Definitely top 3 of the Nightmare movies for me. :up:

They put III in the title cause Halloween was suppose to become a series with different stories like CreepNight/Tales of the Crypt/Etc..But fans got into MM so much and even though he died in II they wanted more!!

I agree, i think Michael should had stayed dead after part 2 cause it was Carpenter who hated writing Halloween 2 and decided to have Laurie shoot both his eyeballs then have Loomis commit suicide in the hospital to burn him and Michael up to send him to hell. I love the anthology idea for the franchise.

Did Halloween 2 ruined the anthology idea and did H2 established Michael or what? what is the stupid point of bringing Michael back as a Jason rip-off zombie? i mean he was completely burned and his eyes were shot yet they ignored this idea by remaking the original masterpiece.

Majik - with the exception of AVTAK, I hate every single one of those movies you just posted. Lol

Grease 2
H2 (Rob Zombie's Halloween 2) ((it definitely needed some dialogue edits though))
Once Upon A Time in Mexico
Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End and On Stranger Tides
A View to A Kill
Land of the Dead (Romero's last real go at his zombies)
Cinderella 3: A Twist in Time (Yes, I enjoy my Disney)

My favorite Bond movie!

I don't know about Land of the Dead but I'd agree on 'Once Upon a Time in Mexico'. That and Sin City were the last two movies I liked from Robert Rod.

The only two I didn't see here on my list are:

Crocodile Dundee 2 (yeah, I'm old school)
Superman III

Psycho II - love it, find it very entertaining

I love all the Psycho sequels. III was the weakest, imo, but they all did a good to great job in advancing and ending Bates' story.

Also Love Once Upon A Time In Mexico. People rave about Machete and trash that one? I don't get it at all.

Yup! I really enjoy the four brosnan movies (though; DAD is just mindless crap, so I like it..though it's awful).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"