Underrated sequels to film franchises!?

Halloween 3, It gets alot of flack for not having anything to do with Michael Myers but on its own it was a pretty great horror movie.

People just wanted more Myers so it was a let down, but not a bad stand alone horror movie.

I always wished they'd made a Cousin Eddie spin-off movie or tv show!
GIFSoup

I always wished they'd made a Cousin Eddie spin-off movie or tv show!
GIFSoup

He did somewhat get his own spin-off with Christmas Vacation 2 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367623/ It was a made for tv movie though so it wasn't as crude as it could have been had it been a theatrical release. Randy Quaid is much older & heftier now so it probably wouldn't work as well.

People just wanted more Myers so it was a let down, but not a bad stand alone horror movie.
Still, it was a mistake to put "III" in the title. I don't know if would've made a difference, but I'm sure it didn't help for the disappointed Myers-worshippers.

I enjoy Jeepers Creepers 2 just as much as Jeepers Creepers, which is to say, its fun little early Oughts diversion.

Still, it was a mistake to put "III" in the title. I don't know if would've made a difference, but I'm sure it didn't help for the disappointed Myers-worshippers.

They put III in the title cause Halloween was suppose to become a series with different stories like CreepNight/Tales of the Crypt/Etc..But fans got into MM so much and even though he died in II they wanted more!!

I enjoy Jeepers Creepers 2 just as much as Jeepers Creepers, which is to say, its fun little early Oughts diversion.

I thought 2 was alright But I will say I think The Creeper is underrated,He deserves sequels,So much potential to go with an origin prequel and just another sequel of him waking up 20 years after part 2!!!

Now that some of you posted your underrated films..What are your ratings for some of them?

My list would have to include the following:

Back to the future 2 - I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. It got terrible reviews from all the top critics for being "too dark and cynical". But I love it!

Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom - So many people hate this because it's unbelievable. I love it for that very reason!!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull - see above.

Ghostbusters 2 - Yes it's not as good as the original, but it's still a great movie which I enjoy. It will look like a masterpiece when Ghostbusters 3 is released, lol.

Gremlins 2 - It doesn't take itself seriously at all and sends itself up. What can be bad about that? I think it's awesome.

Jaws 2 - I really think this is underrated. It's scary and suspenseful and a rollercoadster ride.

Halloween III: Season Of The Witch - what's not to like about an Irish warlock who steals a rock from Stonehenge, grinds it down into microchips, adds a splash of black magic and Halloween masks that become deadly whilst corresponding with a flashing TV advert?

Poltergeist II: Kane is one of the most terrifying horror characters ever. This movie outscares the original in places and has less sentimentality than the original. I love them both equally though.

The Exorcist III: A very underrated sequel. This is actually really really scary and there are a number of jolting scenes (the nurse and the confession box scenes are excellent!)

Rocky V - I loved it more than 6. I have never understood that hate that this gets, but there you have it.

Creepshow 2 - The Raft and The Hitchhiker episodes were awesome and up there with the original. It's not as good as the first, and the budget cuts didn't help. It's still an all time favourite of mine though.

Last edited:
Spider-Man 3
It's not perfect, but I don't think it's as bad as some people say it is.

Pirates: Dead Man's Chest
Way better than the third one, IMO, and almost as good as the first.

Batman Forever
Batman & Robin was awful, I agree, but I didn't think Forever was bad at all. Begins, TDK and Forever, are my favorite Batman films.

Tron:Legacy
I loved it. Sure it's unbelievable and ridiculous, and at times, the writing's a bit corny, but it's still a fun, visually stunning film.

Predator 2 and Predators. I honestly consider the Predator series a perfect trilogy.
Universal Soldier: Regenetation.
Under Siege 2.
Superman Returns
Revenge of the Sith
Alien 3

Could not agree more,, I still cant believe it got such a bad wrap..

Alien 3 - Vastly under-rated.

Clerks 2 - A surprisingly solid followup that gave the characters closure.

Once Upon A Time In Mexico - More mad, frenetic energy in this third Mariachi movie than the previous two combined. Plus Depp's Agent Sands is cool as ****.

Iron Man 2 - Yeah, it has some third act problems but I still really enjot this movie.

After Wrath of Kahn, Star Trek VI the Undiscovered Country is probably my favorite Star Trek film. Its totally solid.

Final Destination 2
Saw 2
Iron Man 2
The Scorpion King ( Mummy franchise spinoff)
Terminator Salvation
Live Free or Die Hard
Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull
X-men 3 ( there are several problems but it's not a terrible film)

Star Trek The Search for Spock is a nice continuation of Wrath of Khan.

Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom - my favorite Indy film ever! so fun!

Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Scream 4

The Matrix Reloaded. I understand the anger and disappointment associated with the third one, but I never understood why Reloaded was considered so bad. Also Quantum of Solace, and Alien 3 (The Assembly Cut, at least.)

Last edited:
Scream 4 and Matrix Reloaded are 2 more.:up:

I still never got the POTC:AWE hate. I think it was ridiculously epic and a satisfying close to the trilogy. The opening scene in Singapore and the final maelstrom battle are still some of my favorite action scenes in recent films.

Spider-Man 3 and X-Men 3...not as good as their predecessors, true, but still worth a watch. Good action pieces, same cast, etc. Both take missteps at certain places, but those scenes aren't enough to condemn both movies.

Beverly Hills Cop 3...sue me, I'm an Eddie Murphy fan

Most of my others have been said already (Temple of Doom, Star Wars prequels, Jurassic Park 2 & 3, etc.)

And definitely, Die Another Day.

Best opening scene along with the action carrying throughout the credits.
Awesome locations (Hong Kong, Iceland, Cuba, Bond in LONDON!!)
Throwbacks to classic Bond elements (disfigured Zao, Halle channeling Ursula Andress, etc.)
Even the over-the-top scenes (virtual reality training, invisible car, face-changing technology), I still enjoyed it. It's not as gritty as Goldeneye or CR, but it' still a good entry. The way some ppl talk about it, youd think Bond was riding unicorns or something

A lot of bad movies mentioned in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"