Superman Returns Unknown Routh is new face of Superman

Yeah, those films were not exactly a High profile gigs, friend. Batman was the biggest thing Bale has done. Jackman came out of nowhere.

Funny, I still remember people throwing fits about Jackman being cast as Wolverine, then the dumb comments about the first pictures, followed by comments about him having a relationship with singer to get the role. And last but not least, people saying he couldn't carry the film. Well, look where we are now.

Newb said:
Here I figured co-staring with Nic Cage, Samuel Jackson, and Mattew Mcconaughey made a guy known. I get it, he can't be "known" until he gets a leading role. Don't make much sense to me, but I guess you movie aficionado's have a better idea than I.:rolleyes:
Unfortunately it's not just a matter of what movie aficionado's think. Hollywood, whether we like it or not, helps set the standards for what the general public perceives. Known actors are built on the Hollywood hype machine.

Nivek said:
Yeah, those films were not exactly a High profile gigs, friend. Batman was the biggest thing Bale has done. Jackman came out of nowhere.

Funny, I still remember people throwing fits about Jackman being cast as Wolverine, then the dumb comments about the first pictures, followed by comments about him having a relationship with singer to get the role. And last but not least, people saying he couldn't carry the film. Well, look where we are now.
Wow. That sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it?

skruloos said:
Wow. That sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it?

Yeah, it does sound famillier. Did I mention about people saying he would be typecast and not have much of a career after X-men?

Yeah, those films were not exactly a High profile gigs, friend. Batman was the biggest thing Bale has done. Jackman came out of nowhere....

They were high profile enough to get mentioned on ET, and Access and all the hollywood shows in pre-production, high profile enough to get me and my wife to the theatre and see them at the local multiplex, not some grungy hole in the wall international film festival theatre.

Reign of Fire had a video game with BK tie ins, Shaft was a classic 70's remake, and The Mandolin did pretty good as chick flick fare. Seems high profile enough to me, friend.

No, they were not. They were hardly even flavor of the month. Your shooting blanks, Guy.

Well your words fail to convince me, so I'll leave you to you opinion.

Newb said:
Reign of Fire had a video game with BK tie ins, Shaft was a classic 70's remake, and The Mandolin did pretty good as chick flick fare. Seems high profile enough to me, friend.
Then your definition of high profile is not high enough. Thanks for playing.

Newb said:
Well your words fail to convince me, so I'll leave you to you opinion.

Thats cool. Im not saying I never seen those films, just most people dont remember them worth a damn.

Nivek said:
Thats cool. Im not saying I never seen those films, just most people dont remember them worth a damn.

To each their own, at least you and I can disagree amicably.:up:

skruloos said:
And I think that's playing it safe. What do you think the audition process is for? It's the chance for ANY actor, whether known or unknown, to prove they can handle the role. The only thing that differentiates and unknown and a known actor is exposure. But both, regardless of past work experience, retain the same odds for failing or succeeding at a role. Talent is talent and if they show it during the audition process, people will see it.

The only thing using known talent would do is placate the fears of the audience. But if a known is not the best person for the role then why bother?

But Routh did NOT win the part fair and square. Singer made it very clear from day one he would not even consider anyone who is well known. And therefore we could have very well missed out on the best choice, due to that closed minded nature. If Singer had real auditions, considered everyone, and Routh still won it, it would be a different story...but Singer himself has said that is not the case.

So? It doesn't matter. if Routh soars high or crashes and burns, it will fall upon, Singer, the produsers, the execs at WB, and the dozens and dozens of studio people who wrote off on this project. Personally, the guy has to have something, it's not like The lone Ranger scenario someone brought up a while ago.

We havn't seen really anything that shows what his total performance will be like. July 1st, yeah. but now, it's just a big stinking wad of conjecture and baseless opinion for any of us here.

Nivek said:
So? It doesn't matter. if Routh soars high or crashes and burns, it will fall upon, Singer, the produsers, the execs at WB, and the dozens and dozens of studio people who wrote off on this project.

We havn't seen really anything that shows what his total performance will be like. July 1st, yeah. but now, it's just a big stinking wad of conjecture and baseless opinion for any of us here.

No, no matter what happens...we will never really know if Routh was the best choice or not.

Matt said:
No, no matter what happens...we will never really know if Routh was the best choice or not.

Uh, yeah we will. If people keep going to see the film again and again and say how good Routh was, Im pretty sure we will have a pretty good idea that he was the best choice.

If people walk out saying the guy who played Jesus in the Passion should've played Superman, they got their own issues.

Matt said:

This amuses me... according to your logic, what person was the best choice for any role? After all, they haven't tested everyone, Joe Schmoe that worked as a firefighter in Togo could've been the perfect Victor Corleone, but they didn't test him...

Sverdlovski said:
This amuses me... according to your logic, what person was the best choice for any role? After all, they haven't tested everyone, Joe Schmoe that worked as a firefighter in Togo could've been the perfect Victor Corleone, but they didn't test him...

Victor Corleone? When you can get the Godfather's name right, I'll debate you ;)

Nivek said:
Nice cop out.

Its not a cop out at all. To simply reject an ACTOR wanting to audition for the part because he has worked before is closed minded and could very well have cost us the best Superman.

You know what, I'm going to start a construction crew, but I refuse to take anyone who has any experience in construction on board. I'm sure I'll get a lot of work :rolleyes:

Matt said:
Its not a cop out at all. To simply reject an ACTOR wanting to audition for the part because he has worked before is closed minded and could very well have cost us the best Superman.

You know what, I'm going to start a construction crew, but I refuse to take anyone who has any experience in construction on board. I'm sure I'll get a lot of work :rolleyes:

Wow, what terrible analogy.

Sverdlovski said:
Wow, terrible analogy.

Maybe, but at least I know the Godfather's name.

And its really not...Singer would not even take an audition seriously if they were "known"...that is bad form.

Matt said:
Maybe, but at least I know the Godfather's name.

And its really not...Singer would not even take an audition seriously if they were "known"...that is bad form.

When did singer say that? He refused to cast Caviezel because of Passion, not because he was a established actor. I'm sure singer saw many "known" actors but Routh was the best and the fact he was unknown closed the deal.

Agentdemon said:
When did singer say that? He refused to cast Caviezel because of Passion, not because he was a established actor. I'm sure singer saw many "known" actors but Routh was the best and the fact he was unknown closed the deal.

Singer said he would only take an unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"